Alaska Anchorage Vs Denver Jan 21-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Anchorage Vs Denver Jan 21-22

Ahhhhh yes, Another UAA-DU series, should be quite entertaining.

Thoughts? Pronositications?

GO Seawolves!!!
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Re: Alaska Anchorage Vs Denver Jan 21-22

Originally posted by seawolfpunk View Post

GO Seawolves!!!
    UAA played DU hard in Anchorage, and should have gotten more points than they did. This should be a good series. Go Seawolves!!!
    Originally Posted by aparch
    I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

GO Seawolves!!!
      UAA should pack a few brooms!
      Originally posted by vizoroo
      Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
      Originally posted by duper
      I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
      Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
      Originally posted by dggoddard
      Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

This series is always a battle. Playing UAA is probably the hardest team WCHA team for DU to play outside of UND, due to the bad matchups and UAA's strong work ethic.The Pioneers have a deeper and more skilled lineup than the Seawolves, but UAA is bigger, more physical and uses their sticks for defensive purposes better than any team in WCHA. UAA is a better hockey team than in previous years, in large measure due to better goaltending, more experience and better adherence to system play. The underrated Tommy Grant is the one UAA guy that always seems to play well against DU, so some special attention is needed there.

As I said, DU doesn't really match up well with UAA, as the Pioneers are a finesse team, and UAA is a team that likes to keep you pinned to the walls and keep an opponent from spreading the zone from transition play. For the Pioneers, a better start is crucial, as playing from behind against UAA is very very hard.

The Pioneers have been playing with fire lately, with bad starts and mediocre goaltending being bailed out by superb third period drive and production to win games late. I don't think that pattern can continue for DU to be successful.

All that said, UAA is playing great hockey right now, and I think the DU's 6 game DU undefeated streak is likely coming to an end this weekend. I think a split is likely.

Comment

i see a split too, both low scoring games, won't be surprised if Shyiak sticks with the current lineup. Although i'd like to see Mickey Spencer get back out there, really suprised he's only been in the lineup 6 games this year. Darwitz may get some time too with Gorham getting that Contact to the head penalty on saturday i believe he got a suspension.

DU fans, will we see both Murray & Brittain this weekend? What about Beau Bennett?
          Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic

Comment

DU fans, will we see both Murray & Brittain this weekend? What about Beau Bennett?
            I would guess that you'll see both goalies this weekend. Brittain has not been the quite same goalie he was in the first half of the season (he's gone from mostly unbeatable to solidly human), while Murray has been improving (from flat-out horrible to mostly decent). Bennett played at MSUM, so I'd expect him in the lineup.
            Last edited by Puck Swami; 01-17-2011, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Last edited by uaafanblog; 01-17-2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                Hey now I'm staking a copyright claim to that!
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                  This series is always a battle. Playing UAA is probably the hardest team WCHA team for DU to play outside of UND, due to the bad matchups and UAA's strong work ethic.The Pioneers have a deeper and more skilled lineup than the Seawolves, but UAA is bigger, more physical and uses their sticks for defensive purposes better than any team in WCHA. UAA is a better hockey team than in previous years, in large measure due to better goaltending, more experience and better adherence to system play. The underrated Tommy Grant is the one UAA guy that always seems to play well against DU, so some special attention is needed there.

As I said, DU doesn't really match up well with UAA, as the Pioneers are a finesse team, and UAA is a team that likes to keep you pinned to the walls and keep an opponent from spreading the zone from transition play. For the Pioneers, a better start is crucial, as playing from behind against UAA is very very hard.

The Pioneers have been playing with fire lately, with bad starts and mediocre goaltending being bailed out by superb third period drive and production to win games late. I don't think that pattern can continue for DU to be successful.

All that said, UAA is playing great hockey right now, and I think the DU's 6 game DU undefeated streak is likely coming to an end this weekend. I think a split is likely.
                  Outstanding preview of the series. I admit for the first time in 10 years I have not paid as close attention to the Seawolves as I usually do. (I usually go to every single home game) however, I agree this is going to be a close, low scoring series, and probably a split. UAA was smart bulking up and building a physical team. One of the worst things UAA ever did was hire Talafous who suspended players who were "too physical" or got into a fight. Shyiak is the best thing to happen to UAA Athletics since Brush Christensen. (probably even better, but it's sacreligious to say that up here)

Cheers to you and hopes for a good series!

GO WOLVES!
                  Lets Go Seawolves!

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                    I would guess that you'll see both goalies this weekend. Brittain has not been the quite same goalie he was in the first half of the season (he's gone from mostly unbeatable to solidly human), while Murray has been improving (from flat-out horrible to mostly decent). Bennett played at MSUM, so I'd expect him in the lineup.
                    Doesn’t matter UAA is playing full throttle and will give any goal tender nightmares.
                    Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                    UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Just thought i'd bump the thread, no news on injuries on either side i'm guessing.

Comment

UAA's Grant is the WCHA offensive player of the week, and Gunderson is the WCHA rookie of the week. If that weren't enough, UAA is profiled at the College Hockey News website as the "Team of the Week":

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...-anchorage.php

They don't get many headlines here at the USCHO, so it's nice to see the CHN article.
                        Last edited by Suze; 01-19-2011, 07:14 PM.
                        I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

DU Game Notes for this series. Some highlights from the notes:

THIS WEEKEND'S STORYLINES
                          Denver is unbeaten at 3-0-3 in its last six games and 10-1-3 overall in its last 14 contests.

The Pioneers charted a 5-3 win at 2-2 overtime tie at Alaska Anchorage on Dec. 10-11.
                          Opponents have scored the first goal in Denver's last five games.

Goaltender Adam Murray and student assistant coach David Carle are natives of Anchorage, Alaska.

FOR OPENERS
                          No. 4 Denver (14-5-5, 10-3-3 WCHA) hosts Alaska Anchorage (7-10-3, 6-8-2 WCHA) in a two-game league series on Jan. 21-22.

Denver is second in the WCHA at 23 points, while Alaska Anchorage is eighth at 14 points.

Denver is 11-1-4 against unranked opponents and 9-2-2 at home this season.

Jason Zucker leads NCAA rookies with 16 goals.

INJURY REPORT
                          Sophomore forward Chris Knowlton (2-2=4) is expected to miss his second consecutive two-game series with an ankle injury. Jesse Martin is out for the season (neck).

TV: Both games are on FSN Rocky Mountain.
                          DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                            UAA's Grant is the WCHA offensive player of the week, and Gunderson is the WCHA rookie of the week. If that weren't enough, UAA is profiled at the College Hockey News website as the "Team of the Week":

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...-anchorage.php

They don't get many headlines here at the USCHO, so it's nice to see the CHN article.
                            u didn't see that Grant was voted 3rd star in USCHO's 3 star selection?

Comment

u didn't see that Grant was voted 3rd star in USCHO's 3 star selection?
                              Yup, I did. Today. Hardly a headline however. I hear something is in the works for a future article on UAA.

From ADN:

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Working...
                              X