Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nashville 2015 (Frozen 4)?

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Hm. Two NASCAR Sprint Cup Races take place in SE Michigan every year. NASCAR happens yearly at lower levels in Milwaukee. There's regularly races at lower levels throughout the Midwest. NASCAR goes to the following locations once a year: the Poconos in Pennsylvania, Dover in Delaware, Watkins Glen in upstate NY, and, oh, New Hampshire. Meanwhile, there are as many races in Phoenix, AZ as there are in Talladega, AL.

GFM
    Actually, NASCAR races at their highest level in New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Delaware TWICE a year. While a traditionally southeastern sport like NASCAR has been exponentially more effective at cultivating popularity far outside of its traditional fanbase than college hockey, I see nothing wrong with our sport trying to do the same. As long as they do it in ways that still make it as easy as possible for its fans to follow. Nashville seems to fit this, while southern California did not. On a selfish note, anywhere near enough to reasonably drive to is OK by me. Nashville qualifies.

Comment

Hm. Two NASCAR Sprint Cup Races take place in SE Michigan every year. NASCAR happens yearly at lower levels in Milwaukee. There's regularly races at lower levels throughout the Midwest. NASCAR goes to the following locations once a year: the Poconos in Pennsylvania, Dover in Delaware, Watkins Glen in upstate NY, and, oh, New Hampshire.
      NASCAR goes to Pocono, Dover, and New Hampshire TWICE a year. And that's just for the Sprint Cup Series.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
        This sport should embrace the areas of the country that embrace it for the Frozen Four. Putting it in yahoo-towns like Nashville is pointless. Boston, Denver, St. Paul, Detroit, and Milwaukee should be the only towns that host this event. The southern rednecks can have NASCAR, we can have college hockey. Let's just keep it that way.
        Who is 'we'? I don't think there is anybody standing behind you, in case you haven't looked.

Either you are just putting on an act, or you actually have a tiny brain and really believe what you typed. If it is the latter: If you are a student at Brown, I guess that shows that test scores and GPA's can't really measure the person...if you are a grad, I thought those Ivy League professors were supposed to improve your ability to think critically.

Onions may have layers, but that doesn't mean there is any real depth.
        I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

I do like a rotation of specific cities with the occasional 'new' city (a la Washington or St. Louis). Obviously I'll go wherever the tournament goes, but I look forward to this trip each year more than anything else, so it'll suck if they put it in a place that is horrible. Washington, despite the horrific outcome, was one of my favorites.

ps- I hate NASCAR, too.

Comment

Why all the hate for NASCAR? I can't watch it on TV, too boring, but I've seen a race live and it is actually pretty entertaining. You get to experience the race and quite possibly the greatest people watching in the world!
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
              Actually, NASCAR races at their highest level in New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Delaware TWICE a year. While a traditionally southeastern sport like NASCAR has been exponentially more effective at cultivating popularity far outside of its traditional fanbase than college hockey, I see nothing wrong with our sport trying to do the same. As long as they do it in ways that still make it as easy as possible for its fans to follow. Nashville seems to fit this, while southern California did not. On a selfish note, anywhere near enough to reasonably drive to is OK by me. Nashville qualifies.
              This cuts to the chase nicely.

I'm becoming a believer. With good support (though not universal) from regulars and even moderate support from locals, a Nashville Frozen Four could be a fine success.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                I hated the 2001-2002 post-9/11 'regionalization' mandate where eastern teams stayed east and western teams stayed west in the regionals.
                I had no problem with it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bakunin View Post
                  I had no problem with it at all.
                  Your team wasn't a #1 seed sent to Yost to face #4 seed Michigan on its home ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                    Your team wasn't a #1 seed sent to Yost to face #4 seed Michigan on its home ice.
                    MN fans are well aware of the significance of early round matchups against Michigan in Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                      NASCAR goes to Pocono, Dover, and New Hampshire TWICE a year. And that's just for the Sprint Cup Series.
                      I was looking at the 2011 schedule, and it's once-each for those three tracks in NSCS. I used to sorta know how often these things happened, but I also know that there's been a proliferation in tracks as they go more places in the country [I left out the Chicago-area race as well as the Brickyard 400].

GFM
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

I was looking at the 2011 schedule, and it's once-each for those three tracks in NSCS. I used to sorta know how often these things happened, but I also know that there's been a proliferation in tracks as they go more places in the country [I left out the Chicago-area race as well as the Brickyard 400].

GFM
                        I have no clue what schedule you are looking at.

http://www.nascar.com/races/cup/
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                          Why all the hate for NASCAR? I can't watch it on TV, too boring, but I've seen a race live and it is actually pretty entertaining. You get to experience the race and quite possibly the greatest people watching in the world!
                          Formula 1 is WAAAAY better for people watching.

American Le Mans Series isn't so bad either, especially when it's at Mosport. Something about Canadian race fans ... the female types...
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Richard Petty for Hobey! blah, Nascar is awful.

Comment

Maybe we can ride the NHL's coat tails and host in Raleigh in 2016?
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                Maybe we can ride the NHL's coat tails and host in Raleigh in 2016?
                                I don't think Raleigh is as good of a choice as Nashville, but if they went that direction I wouldn't object to it. I think that Dallas would be a good host also.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X