Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nashville 2015 (Frozen 4)?

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    I have a lot of friends who are professional musicians in Nashville. None of them play country music.
    This is true. Nashville is sometimes called the "third coast" in music industry circles.
    the state of hockey is good

Comment

I'll go if Rocket Club is performing that weekend. I want to throw a brick at Chris Hawkey and taunt his post-menopausal groupies.
      Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
      when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
      Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
        I'll go if Rocket Club is performing that weekend. I want to throw a brick at Chris Hawkey and taunt his post-menopausal groupies.
        Why would you go to Nashville to see Rocket Club when you could see them in Maple Grove instead?
        Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          Nashville just might be a perfect Frozen 4. hockey+country music+chicks with southern drawls=fun!
          I've spent some time down south before. The women down there are something else.
          bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
            Why would you go to Nashville to see Rocket Club when you could see them in Maple Grove instead?
            Because I want to make Chris Hawkey cry in front of all the Nashville bigwigs. Destroying his hopes and dreams would be fun.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
              It was also a conference tournament rehash. The WCHA fans were justly proud of their league's accomplishments that year. But the 2005 tournament lacked the East/West match-ups that many FF regulars prefer.

The venue? The Downtown DC arena was just fine, but I don't remember the facility as being especially noteworthy. In a comparison with the Schottenstein Center, I'd say you'd have a wash. Both could be described as NHL quality rinks, both probably in the middle of the pack.

Contrary to your dopey dismissal of the underdogs, their very presence enhanced the tournament's atmosphere. Fans love David vs. Goliath match-ups. And powerhouses or not, the programs you're putting down each traveled well. No one fanbase took over the arena. So it was a truly neutral site, with all parties well represented -- a major part of DC's success. Coupled with the strong turnout of neutral fans, DC was indeed one of the better Frozen Fours.

Despite the gratuitous hostility this post, there is an intelligent thought worth rescuing here. It's clear that the turnout rate among Frozen Four regulars varies considerably, depending on the perceived tourist value of the host city. For better or worse, the NCAA should take this factor into account when selecting sites.

I'll admit to being a little bit baffled by this. I've never had a bad time at a Frozen Four, not even in Providence. As far as I'm concerned, there was a good four day weekend to be had at any of the sites. If you're combining the FF with a longer vacation, sure -- there are definite advantages to sites like DC & Denver. Personally, my FF trip is usually limited to Wednesday evening through Sunday morning, so the tourist factor isn't all that important to me. But for the larger group, it does matter.

How does all of this apply to Nashville? I'm keeping an open mind. In comparison to the other sunbelt sites, it's closer to college hockey's home base than either Anaheim or Tampa. That's a plus. Many CCHA fans would be able to drive and would likely be interested in the option. But the tourist value to FF regulars is lower than either Anaheim or Tampa, and that must also be part of the calculus.

As I've previously posted, the tie-breaker in all of this is the willingness of the local community to support the event. For a negative example, consider Cincy in 1996. There was virtually no local support, and hence many sections of empty seats. Nashville in 2015, as an NHL city with a nice rink, might be a different story. But it's not a lock.
              Sorry, having the FF in Oohi was terrible. Haviing it on a college campus was a good idea, I guess, but the event sucked. Compared to all the others, the Oohi FF was the absolute bottom as far as it being enjoyable. The only saving part of it for me was the actual games. Providence was great. If you didn't have fun at the 2000 FF, you weren't trying. I hope they don't go to Nashville.
              Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Nashville would suck. This might sound stoopid but why don't we have the Frozen Four in a city where people actually like hockey?

Comment

They said that about having it out in los Angeles years ago and there are several kids playing D1 from California now...direct cause and effect, maybe not but if you are trying to promote the sport, go to a place where your hardcore people will go anyway, and try to generate some incremental awareness and support.

They have had a youth hockey league in Nashville since 1965 and if I read it correctly, one of the recent co-captains at Wisconsin, and a Hobey Baker nominee, Blake Geoffrion, played 10 years of youth hockey in Nashville. Granted, it was in his blood, but there must be something going on down there...as I mentioned, we happened to be there the night of a Nashville game and it sure looked like there were plenty of hockey fans...maybe the unique situation would actually get more locals to the game vs in a hockey saturated location.
                  I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                    They said that about having it out in los Angeles years ago and there are several kids playing D1 from California now...direct cause and effect, maybe not but if you are trying to promote the sport, go to a place where your hardcore people will go anyway, and try to generate some incremental awareness and support.

They have had a youth hockey league in Nashville since 1965 and if I read it correctly, one of the recent co-captains at Wisconsin, and a Hobey Baker nominee, Blake Geoffrion, played 10 years of youth hockey in Nashville. Granted, it was in his blood, but there must be something going on down there...as I mentioned, we happened to be there the night of a Nashville game and it sure looked like there were plenty of hockey fans...maybe the unique situation would actually get more locals to the game vs in a hockey saturated location.
                    I hardly think the genesis of today's California D-1 prospects is directly linked to Anaheim 1999. I think its more due to the fact that San Jose, Anaheim, and Los Angeles have had some success in the NHL, but anything helps I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                      I hardly think the genesis of today's California D-1 prospects is directly linked to Anaheim 1999. I think its more due to the fact that San Jose, Anaheim, and Los Angeles have had some success in the NHL, but anything helps I guess.

Perhaps I should have noted in my post that there likely isn't a direct cause and effect.
                      I believe in life, and I believe in love, but the world in which I live in keeps trying to prove me wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                        Sorry, having the FF in Oohi was terrible. Haviing it on a college campus was a good idea, I guess, but the event sucked. Compared to all the others, the Oohi FF was the absolute bottom as far as it being enjoyable. The only saving part of it for me was the actual games. Providence was great. If you didn't have fun at the 2000 FF, you weren't trying. I hope they don't go to Nashville.
                        So you're already deciding that you wouldn't have fun at a frozen four in Nashville? That's a great attitude to have.
                        bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

Comment

Originally posted by UML View Post
                          Nashville would suck. This might sound stoopid but why don't we have the Frozen Four in a city where people actually like hockey?
                          You guys make it out to be like Qatar there. There's plenty of stuff to do in Nashville, there's plenty of bars there, and other assorted activities to do to keep one entertained when there's no hockey. If you can't have fun at any frozen four, then you're not trying.

It just happens.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate View Post
                            Two of Blake's younger brothers are now at UAH. There's decent youth stuff in the mid-South [Nashville, Huntsville, Knoxville, Atlanta], and kids from around here are getting chances to play in the USHL and NAHL. Sebastian Geoffrion played in the USHL for Indiana, and Brice was on the Motor City team in the NAHL.

"To the game and getting out of this hick town! Thank God there is a sport for middle-sized white boys."

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                              Sorry, having the FF in Oohi was terrible. Haviing it on a college campus was a good idea, I guess, but the event sucked. Compared to all the others, the Oohi FF was the absolute bottom as far as it being enjoyable. The only saving part of it for me was the actual games. Providence was great. If you didn't have fun at the 2000 FF, you weren't trying.
                              Sigh. You might try reading the thread. Just a few posts ago I acknowledged that Providence FFs are a good time.

The main problem in Providence, of course, is the venue. It's no longer up to FF standards. If the arena is ever upgraded or replaced, I'd be fine with going back.

I will say that Providence itself isn't that much of tourist center. On the off days, we used it a launching pad to do things in other parts of New England. For someone from Providence to take a "holier than thou" stance on the tourist issue is actually kind of funny. But again, for hosting hockey tournaments and postgame celebrations, Providence is just fine.

As for Columbus, right back at you: If you didn't fun at the 2005 FF, you weren't trying. Prior to the tournament, Brewmaster organized a Visitors Guide on USCHO. Included were restaurants and other options in every price range. That wasn't the only place to get such information, but Brewmaster made it awfully easy. Also, if you play hockey -- at all -- you would have found that the Posters' Game was a very good time.

Instead, it's obvious you came to town with a bias and a chip on your shoulder. When someone is that determined to have a lousy time, of course they will succeed.

I hope they don't go to Nashville.
                              You've made that rather clear. But if the NCAA goes ahead and chooses Nashville, please stay home and save your money. There's no sense spending even a penny when you've pre-determined that you'll have a bad time.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                                So you're already deciding that you wouldn't have fun at a frozen four in Nashville? That's a great attitude to have.
                                Beer, music (all kinds), friendly people, decent weather, a fairly new arena, good food, seems safe, Smoky Mountains, pretty girls and affordable hotels. Plus, a good multi-level laser tag place down town...who doesn't like laser tag?

edit: and the Predators get between 14-16k per game...not the Flyers but pretty decent for a non-hockey town.

I'm not on the chamber of commerce, we went there for a different national sporting event and had low expectations, turned out to be far better than expected...I haven't heard anyone say they have been to Nashville and still think it would be a bad idea to have the frozen 4 there
                                Last edited by pirate; 01-25-2011, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X