Best D-I Rivalries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best D-I Rivalries

Over the last decade plus, UMD and Minnesota have been one of the biggest rivalries in Division I, when game importance, fan interest, player motivation, and quality of the outcome are considered. As these two head into their 55th and 56th meetings over the last dozen years, what are some of the other top rivalries on the women's scene?

Some of the best rivalries of recent history seem down a bit this year, as tradional power are struggling. UNH's slump takes a little luster off of the tilts with PC. Neither Harvard nor Dartmouth are at the level they once enjoyed, nor are neighbors Clarkson and St. Lawrence.

On the other hand, BC and BU looks to be the best it has ever been on the women's side, and new clashes like UMD and UND appear ready to blossom.

What are some of your favorite conference or inter-league rivals?
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Re: Best D-I Rivalries

Great question!

Sadly for OSU, the most honest answer is that we're in need of an arch-rival. For several seasons, we had a nice in-state rivalry with Findlay. There was even a traveling trophy. We had a good lead in the series, but they won the last game. So as far as I know, they still possess the trophy. But unless the Oilers return to D-I, that rivalry is on permanent hold.

What OSU really needs, of course, is for Michigan or Michigan State to upgrade to D-1. My understanding is that this unlikely anytime soon. But I'm certainly willing to be pleasantly surprised.

Naturally the big picture isn't bleak. In conference, ALL the games are good. There just isn't one series that stands head and shoulders above the others.

I will say that for the casual fans, match-ups against the Gophers and Badgers are the most attractive because of the Big ten tie. Fans with just a little more information are also aware of UMD's achievements. And yet for the afficionado, the team(s) we're closely battling with for position in the standings may hold the greatest excitement. But because that has rotated between St. Cloud, Mankato & Bemidji, no particular match-up has been all-important, year-in and a year-out.

Just one fan's opinion, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      Sadly for OSU, the most honest answer is that we're in need of an arch-rival.
      Penn State perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        Penn State perhaps?
        Could be. There's definite potential there.

Obviously a rivalry would take a while to percoloate. PSU's choice of conference matters. If they join the Women's WCHA and the teams play 4 times a year, I'd say it's almost a lock. If it's an annual non-conference series, meaning two games each year, it's still likely. If the match-up is anything less than an annual event, the potential will be unrealized.

Comment

Over the last decade plus, UMD and Minnesota have been one of the biggest rivalries in Division I, when game importance, fan interest, player motivation, and quality of the outcome are considered. As these two head into their 55th and 56th meetings over the last dozen years, what are some of the other top rivalries on the women's scene?

Some of the best rivalries of recent history seem down a bit this year, as tradional power are struggling. UNH's slump takes a little luster off of the tilts with PC. Neither Harvard nor Dartmouth are at the level they once enjoyed, nor are neighbors Clarkson and St. Lawrence.

On the other hand, BC and BU looks to be the best it has ever been on the women's side, and new clashes like UMD and UND appear ready to blossom.

What are some of your favorite conference or inter-league rivals?
          UNH and either Providence or Northeastern have always been considered longstanding rivals, dating back to each program's first years and the EAIAW (Eastern Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women) Although each team has had it's share of ups and downs since first squaring off, circa 1977, the sentiment and the rivalry have always made the games intense and the victories sweet.
          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
            UNH and either Providence or Northeastern have always been considered longstanding rivals...
            We don't tend to hear as much about the NU/UNH rivalry, other than that it goes way back, maybe because we don't have the long-tenured fans here for the Huskies. Are there classic New Hampshire/Northeastern games that stand out in your mind?

Comment

It doesnt get any better than Wisconsin vs Minnesota. The ladies are definetly a lot more polite to each other than the men are, but there is nothing these 2 schools like more than beating each other.
              A Badger living in Buckeye country.
              Originally posted by MadCityRich
              He blossomed after he left the U, and they still named a city in Minnesota after him?
              Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
              Sieve, Minnesota? Never heard of it.
              Originally posted by Timothy A
              I know my distain of anything and everything related to IL or MN is totally insane, but that's me; you can't change the genetics.
              "The state of North Dakota may not exist. It's like South Dakota's Canadian girlfriend." -- Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky36 View Post
                It doesnt get any better than Wisconsin vs Minnesota. The ladies are definetly a lot more polite to each other than the men are, but there is nothing these 2 schools like more than beating each other.
                Yep, they don't call 'em "Border Battles" for nothing!
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I don't know about them, but I effing HATE UNH.
                  Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                  Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                  Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Some of the best rivalries of recent history seem down a bit this year, as tradional power are struggling. UNH's slump takes a little luster off of the tilts with PC.
                    Could someone please tell UNH the rivalry is over?!? That way we won't have to work so hard for the win!

Seriously, tonight was a great example of the definition of the rivalry. Regardless of their records, both teams got up to play the game and whenever they meet, you know it is going to be a good, tough game.

Comment

I effing HATE UMD.

Thanks Tony! Saved me some keystrokes.
                      Last edited by brookyone; 01-14-2011, 11:06 PM.
                      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Great question!

Sadly for OSU, the most honest answer is that we're in need of an arch-rival. For several seasons...,
                        It could be Mercyhurst but you refuse to play us.
                        "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

I'd put Wisconsin/UMD & Wisconsin/Minnesota right up there with the best. Especially since it's those three programs that have literally won all the national titles.

Comment

Could be. There's definite potential there.

Obviously a rivalry would take a while to percoloate. PSU's choice of conference matters. If they join the Women's WCHA and the teams play 4 times a year, I'd say it's almost a lock. If it's an annual non-conference series, meaning two games each year, it's still likely. If the match-up is anything less than an annual event, the potential will be unrealized.
                            Originally posted by MICZamboni View Post
                            It could be Mercyhurst but you refuse to play us.
                            Are you calling the shots there in Columbus pgb-ohio?
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

As far as OSU is concerned, they've have some pretty good battles the last several years with Minnesota State. It may not be a rivalry in the truest sense, but it's awfully close.
                              Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                              Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                              Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Working...
                              X