Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek's DIII 20 Predictions

http://www.uscho.com/womens-d3-blog/...0-predictions/

I do not think Derek is far off with his predictions. Let's get the conversation going.

I will set the over/under at 13. Who is taking the under and who is taking the over?

Thanks Derek, this is well thought out. I could not find last year's predictions to see how many you got correct. So, maybe I set the over/under too high or too low.

Discuss!

Re: Derek's DIII 20 Predictions

Originally posted by Captain Obvious View Post

I do not think Derek is far off with his predictions. Let's get the conversation going.

I will set the over/under at 13. Who is taking the under and who is taking the over?

Thanks Derek, this is well thought out. I could not find last year's predictions to see how many you got correct. So, maybe I set the over/under too high or too low.

Discuss!
    This will be under 13. I predict that at best 50% are right. For starters, the max is only 19, as #2 and #8 are in direct conflict, and only one of those can come through.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
      For starters, the max is only 19, as #2 and #8 are in direct conflict, and only one of those can come through.
      Not necessarily. You can lead the country in goals but not in scoring. Remember, scoring is goals AND assists.
      Russell Jaslow
      [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
      U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Who's Amhest?

Comment

Originally posted by nyi19 View Post
          Who's Amhest?
          Oh you know, the Lord Geoff's.

Comment

Oh you know, the Lord Geoff's.
            haha well played

Comment

This will be under 13. I predict that at best 50% are right. For starters, the max is only 19, as #2 and #8 are in direct conflict, and only one of those can come through.
              Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              Not necessarily. You can lead the country in goals but not in scoring. Remember, scoring is goals AND assists.
              This.

I guess I wasn't clear enough though.

Russell is correct with what I was predicting though. Taffe will lead the country in freshman points and Charron will lead the nation in goals.

Here's last year's picks:

20. Chatham beats Plymouth State at the St. Michaels Tournament leaving the Panthers and Wesleyan as the only winless D-III teams (Correct)

19. Plattsburgh wins the Panther-Cardinal Classic (Wrong)

18. Trinity hands Lake Forest its first loss of the season at the Codfish Bowl (1/2 right)

17. Oswego wins the Rutland-Herald Invitational (Wrong)

16. Manhattanvilles Katie Little wins the scoring title with over 50 points. (Wrong)

15. Elmira beats Amherst on Jan. 20 in a rematch of last years National Championship (Wrong)

14. Two of the Plattsburgh, Elmira, RIT, Amherst, or Middlebury combo lose to unranked teams (Correct)

13. St. Catherine gets ranked in the USCHO.com Poll (I don't remember..but I think wrong)

12. Holy Cross beats Middlebury on Jan. 26 and goes unbeaten. (Wrong)

11. Trinitys Isabelle Iwachiw wins the Laura Hurd Award. (Correct)

10. Adrian makes the NCHA Championship game (Wrong)

9. Norwich wins the ECAC East (Correct)

8. Wis.-River Falls comes back to win the NCHA (Correct)

7. St. Thomas wins the MIAC (Wrong)

6. RIT wins the ECAC West (Wrong)

5. Amherst wins the NESCAC (Correct)

4. Plattsburgh and Middlebury get at-large bids (1/2 correct)

3. The West hosts the Frozen Four despite the conspiracy theorists thinking its headed East again. (Correct)

2. Middlebury, Wis.-River Falls, Plattsburgh, Norwich make it to the Frozen Four (1/4th correct)

1. Middlebury wins the National Championship (Wrong)

8.25 correct

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2010/01/09/firs...#ixzz1Ajzoex3D

Comment

I'd bet a hockey sock full of beer that #10 is pasted on the dressing room door at the Murray Athletic Center by now...

er...Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                  I'd bet a hockey sock full of beer that #10 is pasted on the dressing room door at the Murray Athletic Center by now...

er...Thanks!
                  I hope it is. That's fine.

These predictions have done exactly what I wanted, spark interst and discussion involving D-III women's hockey.

Outside of the poll thread and the score update thread, there has been very little discussion of D-III women's hockey this year. Maybe it's my fault for not doing the beat justice, I don't know. I try to do my best to balance my main job on the USCHO gig.

These predictions are not meant to slight anyone. Simply one writer's bold predictions on how things might shake out.

If I was trying to guarantee I'd get all 20 right I would have said, at least one of Elmira, Amherst, Plattsburgh, RIT, Middlebury, Trinity, or Norwich will make the Frozen Four.

Happy second half everyone. Enjoy my predictions as locker room poster board material if you so choose.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Dunning View Post
                    I hope it is. That's fine.

These predictions have done exactly what I wanted, spark interst and discussion involving D-III women's hockey.

Outside of the poll thread and the score update thread, there has been very little discussion of D-III women's hockey this year. Maybe it's my fault for not doing the beat justice, I don't know. I try to do my best to balance my main job on the USCHO gig.

These predictions are not meant to slight anyone. Simply one writer's bold predictions on how things might shake out.

If I was trying to guarantee I'd get all 20 right I would have said, at least one of Elmira, Amherst, Plattsburgh, RIT, Middlebury, Trinity, or Norwich will make the Frozen Four.

Happy second half everyone. Enjoy my predictions as locker room poster board material if you so choose.
                    No worries Derek...I like most of your predictions but will take under 13.

The only ones I really take exception to are # 10 cause I'm a homer and # 3. Laura Hurd's accomplishments were captured in 4 years...not 5.

Comment

No worries Derek...I like most of your predictions but will take under 13.

The only ones I really take exception to are # 10 cause I'm a homer and # 3. Laura Hurd's accomplishments were captured in 4 years...not 5.
                      Or Six

Comment

Or Six
                        Ya or six. It's a moving target.

Not sure a 25 year old sticking around to garner awards is in the spirit of what was intended...at least for the Laura Hurd.

Comment

I'd bet a hockey sock full of beer!
                          Hmmm....Don't sound that tasty to me. Seen used hockey socks used for many reasons, but not as a beer cooler. Those new synthetic sock may be comfy and thin, but they are useless compared to the old woollies for reuse around the garage.

Top five uses for old woolly hockey socks:

#5: Emergency Tuque or mitts when stuck on the road.

#4: Plug holes in hockey bag (specially side pockets)

#3: Floor mat on cold garage floor for work underneath the car

#2: Use as traction to get stuck car out of snowbank.

#1: Cheap Skate guard

Comment

I'm going to take the under. Here are the ones I predict will happen (in bold).

1. RIT or Wis. River Falls will finish the regular season undefeated.

2. Elmira’s Tori Charron will lead the country in goals.
                            (Don't know much about her so I'm going to go with the odds and say she doesn't)

3. Norwich’s Sophie Leclerc will lead the country in total points and win the Laura Hurd Award.
                            (Same as above)

4. Norwich beats Plattsburgh on Jan. 12. at the Stafford. (This actually is a bold statement. Trust me.)

5. Finlandia gets its first win of the season before Marian.

6. Adrian’s Emily Michelin breaks Wis. Stevens Point’s Amy Statz’s record for shutouts in a single season. Michelin has 6, the record is 13.

7. Amherst doesn’t lose again until the NCAA Tournament.

8. Concordia-Moorhead’s Abby Taffe leads the country in freshman scoring.
                            (Same as 2 and 3)

9. Bowdoin makes the NESCAC finals.

10. Elmira and Middlebury do not make the NCAA Tournament.

11. RIT’s Scott McDonald wins Coach of the Year.

12. St. Norbert makes the NCHA Final Four.

13. St. Mary’s makes the MIAC championship game.

14. Manhattanville doesn’t make the ECAC East championship game.

15. Oswego wins an ECAC West playoff game.

16. Plattsburgh wins the ECAC West.

17. One of the conference tournament championships goes to double overtime.

18. RIT hosts the Frozen Four.

19. RIT, Plattsburgh, Norwich, and River Falls make the Frozen Four.

20. RIT wins the national championship.
                            RIT

We made the Frozen Four!!!

Follow the RIT Corner Crew on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Derek Dunning View Post
                              13. St. Catherine gets ranked in the USCHO.com Poll (I don't remember..but I think wrong)
                              I believe they snuck in at 10 the week before the MIAC title game
                              UWS Ladyjackets

NCHA League Champions: 2001, 2004, 2007, 2008
                              NCHA Tournament Champs: 2008
                              Frozen Four Participants: 2008

Comment

Working...
                              X