Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riverstone Cup X: Dartmouth v. #4 UNH in Manchester, NH (VWA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riverstone Cup X: Dartmouth v. #4 UNH in Manchester, NH (VWA)

Earlier this season Dartmouth crept into the top 20 in the otherwise meaningless Poll, and it looked like this annual game in Manchester could be the first time the teams were both ranked in a) a while? b) ever? I'm sure some stat-knowledgeable person will tell us. Regardless of rank, or previous success for the year, both teams come to play in this game and weird things happen. Last year, this game was UNH's first (and only?) out-of-conference win.

Dartmouth will be looking to make a statement, after nearly knocking off top-ranked Yale on Friday up in Hanover.

In their only game at the Verizon Wireless Arena (UNH Athletics has finally listened to the fans, and both games against Maine will be played at the Whittemore Center), UNH will look to improve on recent results from the not-so-EZAC this year (a loss to St Lawrence, and a barely salvaged tie against Brown, both at home), with just a road win against struggling Cornell so far.

I think UNH will continue their winning ways, and take home the trophy with a 5-3 victory. Dartmouth will play them tough, but UNH's team speed will wear down the Big Green late in the third period.

Lastly, I hope this thread sees some action, as I have been very bored at work the last few weeks.
    I haven't been on here in a year...
    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Re: Riverstone Cup X: Dartmouth v. #4 UNH in Manchester, NH (VWA)

Four days before the game the thought of having to watch it at the VC dominates my thinking. Seats at the goal line instead of on the blue line at the Whitt. Long commercials. Little cheering. Sorry, showing fans in team garb on the big screen is not my idea of a major college hockey atmosphere. And on and on.

So, in the interest of attitude adjustment, will note that, after a long holiday layoff, a stumble against StL, and warmups against UML and UMass, UNH starts the second half against a good opponent. Darmouth is tied for 19th in the pairwise but 23rd in the USCHO poll. Goalie James Mello is scary: .940 SV% and 1.85 GAA for the year and 35 saves of 37 shots against Yale. A good game (and UNH win) could make up for many of the negatives of the annual money raiser.

Comment

Originally posted by 5IslandsWildcat View Post
      Four days before the game the thought of having to watch it at the VC dominates my thinking. Seats at the goal line instead of on the blue line at the Whitt. Long commercials. Little cheering. Sorry, showing fans in team garb on the big screen is not my idea of a major college hockey atmosphere. And on and on.

So, in the interest of attitude adjustment, will note that, after a long holiday layoff, a stumble against StL, and warmups against UML and UMass, UNH starts the second half against a good opponent. Darmouth is tied for 19th in the pairwise but 23rd in the USCHO poll. Goalie James Mello is scary: .940 SV% and 1.85 GAA for the year and 35 saves of 37 shots against Yale. A good game (and UNH win) could make up for many of the negatives of the annual money raiser.
      I didn't know Dartmouth's goalie boasted those kind of stats. The last time UNH lost, I remember them just throwing puck after puck right at the DC goalie's chest. We do that, we lose this game, too. With the way Matt's been playing for the 'Cats, this could end up being a 2-1 or 3-2 game, rather than some of the 6-3 type affairs we've seen in the past...

(thank god somebody posted here)

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
        I didn't know Dartmouth's goalie boasted those kind of stats. The last time UNH lost, I remember them just throwing puck after puck right at the DC goalie's chest. We do that, we lose this game, too. With the way Matt's been playing for the 'Cats, this could end up being a 2-1 or 3-2 game, rather than some of the 6-3 type affairs we've seen in the past...
        DiGirolamo vs. Mello - similar size, style, and stats.
        The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Previous Nine Results:
          12-13-01 UNH 6 Dartmouth 3 Attendance: 10,053
          1-15-03 UNH 1 Dartmouth 1 Attendance: 10,104
          1-13-04 UNH 5 Dartmouth 0 Attendance: 10,104
          1-12-05 Dartmouth 9 UNH 8 Attendance: 9,405
          1-14-06 UNH 5 Dartmouth 4 Attendance: 7,018
          1-13-07 UNH 4 Dartmouth 2 Attendance: 9,640
          1-19-08 Dartmouth 5 UNH 3 Attendance: 8,654
          1-17-09 UNH 6 Dartmouth 4 Attendance: 8,001
          1-16-10 UNH 5 Dartmouth 2 Attendance: 7,573
          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

I'm expecting this to be a good game. Dartmouth is no pushover this year. The only thing with them is you never know what you're gonna get. One game they are taking it to Yale and almost winning and the next they are letting in 3 goals in a few minutes against Vermont.

UNH really got back on track after the Christmas break loss to SLU. Nice four point weekend last week, even if it wasn't against the iron of HE. I love the team defense and DiGi has been an unbelievably pleasant surprise this year.

I figure this one will be close through the first 2 periods and UNH will pull away in the third.

4-2 UNH

Looking at Rob's post, I really hope someone with some sanity will see those plummeting attendance figures and just make this an alternating site game in the future instead of holding at the Verizon. That place is awful for a college hockey game.
            Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
            2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
              Looking at Rob's post, I really hope someone with some sanity will see those plummeting attendance figures and just make this an alternating site game in the future instead of holding at the Verizon. That place is awful for a college hockey game.
              Before they scrap the idea entirely, they are trying new things to get people in there. For example, UNH is selling tickets for $10 and they include a hot dog and a soda. I just checked with a friend who works at VWA; he said sales are good. Lower bowl is completely sold out, all that's left are tickets in the very top of the straighaways, and the corner end zones seats, and those are about half full.

I understand why UNH does this; it's great exposure for both teams, and as long as UNH continues to host regionals, I think it's a great idea for the team to get some time on the ice sheet. True, the 'college hockey atmosphere' is not what you get in a normal rink, but it's a pretty nice venue overall.

Next week, on a side note: pink the rink (for breast cancer awareness) . . . the ice will actually be pink!

Comment

Before they scrap the idea entirely, they are trying new things to get people in there. For example, UNH is selling tickets for $10 and they include a hot dog and a soda. I just checked with a friend who works at VWA; he said sales are good. Lower bowl is completely sold out, all that's left are tickets in the very top of the straighaways, and the corner end zones seats, and those are about half full.

I understand why UNH does this; it's great exposure for both teams, and as long as UNH continues to host regionals, I think it's a great idea for the team to get some time on the ice sheet. True, the 'college hockey atmosphere' is not what you get in a normal rink, but it's a pretty nice venue overall.

Next week, on a side note: pink the rink (for breast cancer awareness) . . . the ice will actually be pink!
                Well ya sure, but Maine still sucks right?
                Let's go Cats!!!

Philadelphia Phillies Well there's always next year

2007 ECAC East-NESCAC LPS Champ!!
                2009 ECACHL Pick 'em champ!!

"All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible." [Noah Webster. History. p. 339]

Comment

Before they scrap the idea entirely, they are trying new things to get people in there. For example, UNH is selling tickets for $10 and they include a hot dog and a soda.
                  I think they should open up the already installed beer taps!
                  Please join me in the fight to reduce the world's supply of Bacardi.

Comment

Before they scrap the idea entirely, they are trying new things to get people in there. For example, UNH is selling tickets for $10 and they include a hot dog and a soda.
                    Makes me curious.. Do you think ol' Marty and the UNH admin looks back and has begun missing any of the long standing faithful fans he alienated with their antics back when the cash was flowing from corporate america. The ones that not only made a lil extra noise, but followed everywhere and opened their wallets well Marty snubbed his nose and responded to concerned emails over the mistreatment with one word responses like "Thanks?"

It's a shame the bad taste they left in my mouth and many others still lingers and is expressed by refusing to spend a dime even though the seats are so readily available. Maybe those corporate dollars will return someday to Marty's budget now that he gouged the faithful fan base and his ability to fill seats with full-priced tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by SPCSMAN View Post
                      I think they should open up the already installed beer taps!
                      State law prevents them from serving alcohol at sporting events featuring participants that are minors unless there is a solid wall between the serving area and the seating area (or so I've been told), this is why they can serve in the lobby of 2nd level at the Whitt but drinks can't be taken inside of the luxury boxes.
                      [parts of this posting were incorrect, see below for clarification]
                      Last edited by ClOuD 9; 01-15-2011, 12:12 AM.
                      Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2

Women's Hockey
                      EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                      1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Took some searching, but I believe I found the relevant statute
                        TITLE XIII
                        ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES
                        CHAPTER 178
                        LIQUOR LICENSES AND FEES

Section 178:22
                        178:22 On-Premises Cocktail Lounge Licenses. -
                        (u) Sports/Entertainment Complex.
                        (1) The commission may issue a cocktail lounge license to the owner of a sports/entertainment complex, or any operator or designee contracting with the owner of the complex. Such license shall allow the sale or service of liquor and beverage in any clearly defined areas approved by the commission. Liquor and beverage shall be sold only at such times as a fee is charged for admission to an event at the sports/entertainment complex. Liquor and beverage shall not be sold or consumed in stadium or skybox seating at any intercollegiate or interscholastic event. The provisions of RSA 178:22, II shall not apply to this license.
                        (2) The commission may issue to any sports/entertainment complex licensed under subparagraph (u)(1) a supplemental license to set up a separate bar facility to serve liquor and beverages to private groups in any area approved by the commission. The supplemental license shall allow the sports/entertainment complex to hold up to 9 events, 18 events, 36 events, and 52 events for the fees established in RSA 178:29, I. The sports/entertainment complex shall be responsible for compliance with this title and any rules adopted under it. The sports/entertainment complex shall notify the commission at least 5 days before any scheduled event which shall be serviced by such bar facility. The commission may suspend the use of any bar facility without affecting the status of any license in effect on the sports/entertainment complex premises.
                        http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...78/178-mrg.htm
                        Last edited by ClOuD 9; 01-15-2011, 12:08 AM.
                        Men's Hockey

Women's Hockey
                        1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by gounhwildcats View Post
                          Keith beat me to it, I think Manchester is do-able, just not at current Whittemore Center prices. Out of curiosity, does anyone know if Dartmouth season ticket holders pay the same price as UNH's? I tried their website but couldn't find if the Manchester game is included in ST (only $119 a year!). I also noticed UNH does a bit more promoting, the pre-game write up doesn't mention ticket info (UNH's doesn't directly but there is a ticket link at the top of it) and the ticket link on the schedule page just takes you to Big Green Tickets which doesn't list it.

I'd love to see them move the Riverstone to when classes are in session to help give it more of a college feel and atmosphere, I imagine it would help attendance a little too, but if I remember correctly the student buses from Durham to Manchester were pretty costly. Couldn't hurt to promote it at UNH-Manchester.
                          Last edited by ClOuD 9; 01-15-2011, 01:20 AM.
                          Men's Hockey

Women's Hockey
                          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                            Took some searching, but I believe I found the relevant statute

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...78/178-mrg.htm
                            Thanks for posting that...was always curious about why VWA wasn't allowed to serve. Maybe we could get them to move the game to Tsongas

Comment

On a serious note...I am a proponent of a 3 year rotation....Durham/Hanover/Manchester. Also I agree this game should be played when classes are in session.

Comment

Working...
                              X