UNH vs. The UMass's - Lowell then Amherst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH vs. The UMass's - Lowell then Amherst

Hope the much talked about "rust" has been removed since the St. Lawrence game. Despite the current records of the UMass schools, there are no automatic wins in Hockey East. UMass Amherst, in particular, plays UNH tough at the Mullins Center.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Re: UNH vs. The UMass's - Lowell then Amherst

Lowell played UNH tough the first game this season but not so much. I'll be in attendance tonight so I'm hoping the Wildcats will take it easy on us.

Comment

Originally posted by UML View Post
      Lowell played UNH tough the first game this season but not so much.
      I agree?

Hopeuflly they put last weekend behind them and have shaken off the winter break rust and get back to their game. They should not over look either of these opponents, as each is capable of beating UNH, but there's no reason UNH should lose either of these games. They need all the points they can to keep pace with BC and the rest of the big four.... I see a 3-1 win tonight and 4-3 win tomorrow night..

Comment

oops. I meant to say not so much the second game this season.

Comment

Watched the game on the UNH internet feed and thought UML played pretty well. They outshot UNH 31-24 and controlled the play at times, particularly during the second period. Vallorani and Wetmore played very well. UML's penalty killing was their biggest vulnerability.

Comment

Here's postgame video from tonights game against Lowell courtesy of Biz Jacobs from Inside Hockey featuring Blaise MacDonald, Dick Umile, Paul Thompson and Brett Kostolansky:

Comment

Good to see the first line begin to click again for the first period and a half tonight. Appeared to me that the Cats were content to sit on the 4-0 lead and play D the rest of the way, which does not make for much excitement, nor many shots on net, which to me was a poor indicator for which team dominated play tonight. This strategy may work again tomorrow night in Amherst, but I do not think that it is good strategy for most of their HE opponents from here out. I would rather see all out desperation play, continuous shots on net, regardless of the score. Good size crowd tonight, despite inter-session.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Good to see the first line begin to click again for the first period and a half tonight. Appeared to me that the Cats were content to sit on the 4-0 lead and play D the rest of the way, which does not make for much excitement, nor many shots on net, which to me was a poor indicator for which team dominated play tonight. This strategy may work again tomorrow night in Amherst, but I do not think that it is good strategy for most of their HE opponents from here out. I would rather see all out desperation play, continuous shots on net, regardless of the score. Good size crowd tonight, despite inter-session.
                The way I looked at this is that UNH played a team that they had dominated ice wise in the first two games and pretty much did the same tonight. After Kessel scored on a weak wrister half way thru the second period, the team seemed to go into cruise control. They were surprised, no doubt, by Lowell's tenacity in the second half of the second period. But in the third I liked the idea that they played some defense, limited the quality shots, and shut Lowell out. To me that is more important than playing pedal to the medal against a weak sister. I've been down that road too many times, going back to the Louis Frigon days (you remember him Snively?). Better to get some work on disciplined hockey.

And a shout out to Paul Thompson. He is clearly the best forward on the team. He clears space for himself and gets quality shots. UNH will go far if he keeps it up and is UNH's leading candidate for the Hobey. On the flip side, despite his goal tonight, Kessel has to play better. Getting into lazy habits the last two games. He has to start focusing defensively every game because the team is going to need him when it counts down the stretch. I hope he realizes that.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  On the flip side, despite his goal tonight, Kessel has to play better. Getting into lazy habits the last two games. He has to start focusing defensively every game because the team is going to need him when it counts down the stretch. I hope he realizes that.
                  From the "Score Update" thread:
                  There's been some discussion on the UNH thread about whether Kessel will turn pro next season. Some are convinced it will happen. IMO he sometimes looks awfully lackadaisical in the defensive end. He has the strength to play the body and control the puck but doesn't consistently do it. He also continues to make slow motion passes behind the net which gives the forechecker an opportunity to catch up to the puck. If this is his last season at UNH, I'd like to see him improve in these areas.

Comment

It doesn't bode well that his girlfriend is a senior....I'm just saying..

Comment

Now that game was way too close to be enjoyable - except for the last few minutes when UNH finally grabbed a 2-goal lead. UMass continues to play UNH tough at the Mullins Center. The shots on goal were even. Dainton made some glittering saves as did DiGirolamo. We sat directly behind DiGi (on the glass) for the 1st and 3rd periods with Dainton in the 2nd. Plenty of General Admission seats available. The Amherst campus is more of a basketball town.

As in last night's game against UML, UNH played well in the offensive zone and not just the first line. The Speelman-Borisenok-Moses line generated 9 shots on goal and Henrion had 4 of his own. I'm biased but I really like the Burke-Block-Sorkin line. Burke and Sorkin are strong in the corners and Block plays physical as well.

Coach Umile started Kipp and Campanale on defense - perhaps he was displeased with Kessel's play last night. Kessel continued to make a few sloppy passes in his own end. He redeemed himself in the offensive end - his wrister had the upper-left corner labelled and was real pretty.

All-in-all, can't complain about a 4-point weekend. Dartmouth beat Brown 3-1 and played Yale tough last night losing 2-1. Should be one of the more competitive Riverstone battles next Saturday.
                      Last edited by C-H-C; 01-08-2011, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
                        I'm biased but I really like the Burke-Block-Sorkin line. Burke and Sorkin are strong in the corners and Block plays physical as well.
                        I would agree with the statement on Burke, he definitely is strong in the corners. Sorkin though is very weak there, and turns the puck over a lot it seem. Also, Sorkin continues to turn the puck over leading to odd man rushes fairly often. I would rather see McCarey over him in that line combo, with Block playing center.

Comment

Originally posted by [UNH]Rig View Post
                          I would agree with the statement on Burke, he definitely is strong in the corners. Sorkin though is very weak there, and turns the puck over a lot it seem. Also, Sorkin continues to turn the puck over leading to odd man rushes fairly often. I would rather see McCarey over him in that line combo, with Block playing center.
                          Ya, it's also tough to see a talented guy like McCarey not playing every game. I'm biased in favor of Sorkin cause I've always been partial to fast skaters but each has areas where they could improve. In the games I've seen, Sorkin has shown a tendency to get bumped off the puck but last night he seemed to be digging in the corners more effectively. In any case, it's nice to be discussing who is more effective on the fourth line rather than "do we have a fourth line?"

Comment

Sislo: 44-50-94
                            Thompson: 44-47-91
                            Desimone: 25-66-91

Anyone else think it'd be cool if they all got their 100th point on the same play?
                            "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                              Sislo: 44-50-94
                              Thompson: 44-47-91
                              Desimone: 25-66-91

Anyone else think it'd be cool if they all got their 100th point on the same play?
                              Who would get the puck? Split it 3 ways?
                              Originally posted by reBlur
                              the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

Working...
                              X