Notre Dame @ NMU Jan. 7-8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame @ NMU Jan. 7-8

My God, it's Wednesday and there's no thread for this series yet? Where is everybody?

Anyway, the Cats have their work cut out for them this weekend. The Irish seem to have loads of talent on offense. It could be a repeat of last months series in South Bend. It may take one of our goaltenders to steal one again. A split might even be too much to ask for.

I have a hunch Coreau will start Friday night and Walt will go from there.

Re: Notre Dame @ NMU Jan. 7-8

Here's my take on the series from ND's thread:

College hockey part II starts this weekend. The post-season is 9 weeks away. Oh, how I want a 1st-round bye. ND has 14 games left in the regular season, half of which are at home. Were the season to end today, 3 of those opponents on the upcoming schedule would earn a bye and 3 would get home ice for the first round of the playoffs. The remainder of the season is not a cake walk by any stretch. Mettle-testing more like it.

Friday's game will be the first game all season that I cannot watch, as I play the first of 5 games this killer weekend. Odd how I don't care much whether my teams win or lose, but I care a great deal whether ND wins or loses. If my teams can win 2 of the 5, I'm okay with that. I'd kill for at least a win and a tie in 2 games for ND this weekend.

Looking at CCHA stats only, NMU and ND have a lot of similarities with the exception of ND's rookies and NMU's PP.

ND is 2nd in the league in GF with 3.64. NMU is 7th with 2.36. Both teams are 6th in GA at 2.71. ND's PP is weak, both in the league and overall. In league play, they average 14.3% on the PP for 7th place. NMU is 2nd a man-up at 19%. ND is also 7th on the PK at a dismal 82.1%. NMU is only slightly better at 6th place and 82.7%. I suppose our D1-leading 9 shorties-for makes up a little for our special teams' anemic numbers.

ND scores progressively more as the game wears on while NMU gives up progressively more the deeper into the game you get. Mike Johnson's numbers in league play have slipped to a save % of .896 with a GA of 2.47. NMU may repeat their netminding duo from their visit here with the brick wall known as Jared Coreau who has a league save % of .921 and a GA of 3.02 and Reid Ellingson who has a save % of .923 with a GA similar to Johnson's at 2.45.

ND has 3 players in the top 15 in league points, T.J. Tynan (who just earned his 3rd ROTW award) being 4th with 17 points in the CCHA. NMU has one player in the top 15. Tyler Gron is 9th with 13 league points. ND also has 3 in the top 15 in goals while NMU's Gron is their one player in that category. ND has 4 in the top 15 in league assists. NMU doesn't have any in the top tier. Each team has one player in the top 15 in PPG's. ND's Anders Lee is 10th, while NMU's Gron is 2nd. ND has 5 rookies in the top 15 in the league with Tynan and Lee going 1-2. NMU's Erik Higby is 10th.
    "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

I would have made a thread earlier this week, but NMU sucks when I start them... Can't disrupt the space-time continuum

This weekend should be a fun one as I'll be back in MQT for my first games there since 2008 Maybe we could have the ND players bless another Jesus figurine...

Gamewise, it's pretty simple: ND is offensively loaded... NMU has to stand tall and weather the onslaught... I too think that Coreau will get the lead this weekend and Saturday will be determined by his play... The big thing will be to stay out of the box... We saw NMU tire themselves out against DU via the PK... ND has the power to strike quick and this NMU team doesn't play the best from behind...
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Safe travels to all who are coming back to MQT this weekend to start the 2nd semester... I find it fitting that my return is going to be marked by a flurry or three... Can't wait to surf the freshies at MQT MTN on Saturday...

Hockey-wise, these are some big CCHA points on the line.... Let's see the Cats go out there and take it!!!

See y'all around town this weekend

GO CATS!!! GO CATS!!! GO CATS GO!!!
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I agree with RaceBoarder about NMU tiring themselves out on the PK last weekend. I really hope we get to play at even strength or a man up more than we did against DU. I'm hopeful for the Wildcats though. We have had our bumps and bruises along the way yes. But we've also seen some solid play from the Cats this season.

Predictions -

Friday:
          ND 2 - NMU 3
          Saturday:
          ND 4 - NMU 2

Comment

Originally posted by goCATSgo56 View Post
            I agree with RaceBoarder about NMU tiring themselves out on the PK last weekend. I really hope we get to play at even strength or a man up more than we did against DU. I'm hopeful for the Wildcats though. We have had our bumps and bruises along the way yes. But we've also seen some solid play from the Cats this season.

Predictions -

Friday:
            ND 2 - NMU 3
            Saturday:
            ND 4 - NMU 2
            Yeah, that was inexcusable they should have won both games. O well new weekend let's go cats!
            NMU

Comment

Great to see the guys returned from winter break all refreshed and excited to tackle the second half of the CCHA schedule.

They need to listen to Walt and play as a team. Otherwise for some of these guys, their professional careers are going to be over before they graduate.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Last nights game was the worst game I have seen in my four years at NMU....what a friggin' embarrassment. A couple non-calls following three quick goals by ND and the team had a complete and udder mental collapse.

The team is going to decide tonight whether they want to play or give up. Let's hope that was a wake up call.

Costello on Notre Dame is one of the dirtiest players I have ever seen by the way. He had about four or five behind-the-play cheap shots that resulted in retaliation and penalties on NMU.....
                Wildcat Hockey!

B.S. NMU 11'
                M.B.A. Marquette University 13'

Comment

Originally posted by Wildpantswilly View Post
                  Last nights game was the worst game I have seen in my four years at NMU....what a friggin' embarrassment. A couple non-calls following three quick goals by ND and the team had a complete and udder mental collapse.

The team is going to decide tonight whether they want to play or give up. Let's hope that was a wake up call.

Costello on Notre Dame is one of the dirtiest players I have ever seen by the way. He had about four or five behind-the-play cheap shots that resulted in retaliation and penalties on NMU.....
                  I had no problems with the reffing last night. They let them play pretty much the whole night, but when you get acts from Follmer where the whole rink could see the cheap shot coming, the refs are going to call things tightly not to let them get out of hand.
                  Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                  1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                  1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                  2006-2007: 15-24-2
                  2007-2008: 20-20-4
                  2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

weeellllll..... this is the most embarresing moment for Walter ever since the team got swept at home by Wayne Sttate !!!! Just a freaking embaresement this weekend. I was thinking about travelling from Provo to watch the Denver games last weekend, but **** that. If Walter is the coach, I will be ****ed if i was the guy kind of guy who would be swedning money on thjis team. This is a joke and Walt is a joke and if NMU doesnt get rid of him soon, the whole school will turn into a freaking joke. Hell, most of the people I know weho graduated with me are wlorking in freaking fast food, shows how much an education from the great school of NMU is worth nowadays. Id bet money that if the hockey team won a national champiions hip that the taem would boost morale and inscrease the academic value of everyone with an NMU desgree's reputation in the professional worl.d!!! WHY OF WHY do we have such a coach who is driving are team into the failure bin at the local bloackbuster!!!!! WHY MUST ARE TEAM SETTLE FOR MEDIORCIRTY AND FAUIILURE YEAR AFTER YEAR? CAN ANYONE ANSWER MY QUESTION?

We need old man Godrey to get off his butt and find a coach who can coach at the D1level and quit turning NMU into a freaking D2 hockey program. We mind as well resign and join d3 athletics the way all of NMUs teams have performed this year

Comment

Originally posted by boot_walt_kyle View Post
                      weeellllll..... this is the most embarresing moment for Walter ever since the team got swept at home by Wayne Sttate !!!! Just a freaking embaresement this weekend. I was thinking about travelling from Provo to watch the Denver games last weekend, but **** that. If Walter is the coach, I will be ****ed if i was the guy kind of guy who would be swedning money on thjis team. This is a joke and Walt is a joke and if NMU doesnt get rid of him soon, the whole school will turn into a freaking joke. Hell, most of the people I know weho graduated with me are wlorking in freaking fast food, shows how much an education from the great school of NMU is worth nowadays. Id bet money that if the hockey team won a national champiions hip that the taem would boost morale and inscrease the academic value of everyone with an NMU desgree's reputation in the professional worl.d!!! WHY OF WHY do we have such a coach who is driving are team into the failure bin at the local bloackbuster!!!!! WHY MUST ARE TEAM SETTLE FOR MEDIORCIRTY AND FAUIILURE YEAR AFTER YEAR? CAN ANYONE ANSWER MY QUESTION?

We need old man Godrey to get off his butt and find a coach who can coach at the D1level and quit turning NMU into a freaking D2 hockey program. We mind as well resign and join d3 athletics the way all of NMUs teams have performed this year
                      Big deal one weekend I'll bet you they rebound and come back in two weeks against ferris, by the way you ever hear of spell check, it was like reading a 3rd grade essay
                      NMU

Comment

Originally posted by boot_walt_kyle View Post

Wow that was pretty epic and provided a good laugh for a ND fan right here. All I have to say is although we swept you guys this weekend and are having a down year overall look at us. Last year we were just dreadful but have turned it around. Hockey is a funny sport and you never know what is going to happen
                        TJ TJ Tynan....KING OF THE WILD FRONTIER

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN21 View Post
                          Big deal one weekend I'll bet you they rebound and come back in two weeks against ferris, by the way you ever hear of spell check, it was like reading a 3rd grade essay
                          I can see why he is working at McDonalds in Provo Utah.
                          Cat Chat, The U.P's best College Sports Show. Check us out at www.catchattv.org

Born a Black Bear
                          1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012

A NMU Wildcat for Life
                          1980 1981 1989 1991 1992 1993 1999 2010

NMU Hockey
                          2006-2007: 15-24-2
                          2007-2008: 20-20-4
                          2008-2009: 18-16-5

1903 1912 1915 1916 1918 2004 2007

Comment

The only thing that hurt worse than this sweep was trying to translate that drivel in to English. My guess is that the resident Techie behind the bwk persona produced that gem.
                            Always a Wildcat...
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Disappointing weekend, but it should get better as we don't play an extremely good opponent until michigan. I wouldn't count them out yet. Go Cats!
                              NMU

Comment

Working...
                              X