• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Wil Nichol leaving UWSP

The search begins.... again.

http://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2011/...x?path=mhockey

1/4/2011 5:00:00 PM
    STEVENS POINT – UW-Stevens Point’s Wil Nichol has announced that he will step down from his position as head coach of the men’s hockey program effective June 1. Nichol will step aside to pursue other career opportunities.

“I’d like to thank Frank O’Brien, Fred Hebert, Rory Suomi, Marty Loy, Mark Nook, Bernie Patterson, the Blue Line Club, my staff, the fans, the players and my family for all of their support the past four years,” said Coach Nichol. “I have accepted a job with an NHL team in the front office on the hockey operations side that will begin this summer. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity and one that I and my family are extremely excited about.

“It has been an incredible privilege to lead this program for the past four years. I’m proud of our 100% graduation rate during my tenure, how our players have conducted themselves on and off the ice, including their heavy involvement in community service and how they have represented the school. I am confident that this culture will continue in the future.

In his three-plus seasons at the helm of the men’s hockey program, Coach Nichol has to date guided the Pointers to a 46-44-7 overall record and a 20-32-4 record in the Northern Collegiate Hockey Association (NCHA), arguably one of the nation’s most competitive collegiate hockey conferences. The Pointers have qualified for the league’s postseason tournament each of his first three seasons and last season defeated UW-Stout in the quarterfinal round to advance to the team’s first NCHA tournament semifinal appearance since 2004, snapping a 12-game losing streak in the postseason.

“We are grateful for the four years Wil has been our head coach,” said UW-Stevens Point Athletic Director Frank O’Brien. “He has been a part of our hockey family as a player, assistant and head coach and we are thankful for his efforts. We wish him the best in his new endeavor.”

Nichol was a defenseman for the Pointers from 1994-98 and captained UW-Stevens Point’s NCAA Division III runner-up team in 1998 under former coach Joe Baldarotta. Nichol played in all 121 possible career games with the Pointers, totaling five goals and 20 assists.

Prior to accepting the position at UW-Stevens Point, Nichol coached Stevens Point Area Senior High (SPASH) to a pair of WIAA state tournament appearances and a 46-3 record over two seasons. The Panthers became the first team to complete an undefeated Wisconsin Valley Conference season, accomplishing the feat in both of Nichol’s seasons with 16-0 league records each year.

He spent the 1998-99 season as a student assistant coach with the Pointers and completed his degree in English. While at UW-Stevens Point, Nichol received the Chancellor’s Leadership Award and the athletic department’s citizenship award. Nichol was then a graduate assistant coach for two seasons at Miami University (Ohio), earning a master’s degree in Physical Education, Health and Sports Studies.

Nichol, a Madison native who attended Madison West High School, was an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for one season with the Chicago Steel of the United States Hockey League before assuming head coach and general manager roles for the IMG Academy Midget AAA team in Bradenton, Fla. the following year. He returned to Chicago as the head coach and general manager for two seasons in 2003-05 and became the first rookie coach in USHL history to land league coach of the year honors after taking the Steel from ninth place to their only regular season Eastern Conference title in franchise history. Nichol coached 30 players who went on to play Division I college hockey.

“Right now, the 2010-11 team is my focus and I will continue to give everything I’ve got to this team and program,” said Nichol. “We have 10 regular-season games left to get us ready for the Peters Cup.”

A nationwide search will begin this spring for a replacement with the intent of having someone in place by July 1st.
    Wormser - Rowdy Crowd
    2008-2009 D-II/III Last Person Standing Champion
    2004-2005 D-II/III Last Person Standing Co-Champion
    2007-2008 D-II/III Last Person Standing Runner Up
    "...maybe I should be surprised about this, but then again, we are the Rowdy Crowd - everyone wants a piece. We are awesome." ~XYZ

Re: Coach Wil Nichol leaving UWSP

how does he get a job in an NHL office. He couldnt get his players to play for him for more than a 1/4 of a season.

Comment

Originally posted by snc1 View Post
      how does he get a job in an NHL office. He couldnt get his players to play for him for more than a 1/4 of a season.
      Someone needed a receptionist? And, maybe a 20-32-4 conference record puts certain writtings on the wall - particularly at a traditional power house team like UWSP.
      Larry Normandin
      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I guess if you read the article you'd see that the job he took was on the hockey operations side of it, I don't think you need to be a great DIII coach to qualify for that position.

Comment

Clearly with no reaction or adjustment to SNC's trap, Point began the nosedive. While obvious before, it became clear that Nichol could not lead. Consistently out coached, as losses started to pile up, his player personel decisions became more desperate and bizzare. Seven losses in a row; on the road , conference game, against a very good Eau Claire. Down 2 - 0, team fights back to take a 3 - 2 lead in 3rd. Team plays last 1.5 minutes of game on the pk due to a "check to the head" penalty. I mean you coudn't control yourself for 1 minute for a desperately needed win? What's happened to Meo? Madden? Suter? Team's best (Nespar)is being buried - 3 points? Freshmen Politz slowing down, Bobrow in Nespar doghouse. Handy fast start, now in stands. etc, etc.

I guess the answer is run errands and get coffee for George McPhee.

Comment

I wish the best of luck to him. The cupboard was pretty bare when he took over and he at least has talent on the team now. They may be headcases, but there is talent. He was always a better recruiter than a coach and I am sure the role he got with the NHL team will focus more on those strengths.
            I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

I says sit the whole team and let the RC play!
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                I says sit the whole team and let the RC play!
                You are only saying that because they don't face PSUC in the regular season!!!!
                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
                  I wish the best of luck to him. The cupboard was pretty bare when he took over and he at least has talent on the team now. They may be headcases, but there is talent. He was always a better recruiter than a coach and I am sure the role he got with the NHL team will focus more on those strengths.
                  UWSP's search committee is not a bunch of morons, so as you noted (and his pre-coaching legacy shows), he clearly has strengths - but head coach apparently isn't one of them. He has made a positive impact on the sport, so I too wish him well - and give him additional credit for being smart enough to avoid having the door hit him on the way out.
                  Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Not that this has any real impact, but if BlueLine wants to trash the coach and team he should at least get his facts straight. Heck did indeed take a head check penalty with 1:06 remaining but it was evened up with a penalty to Jundt. So I guess the player that couldn't control himself was Jundt for throwing away the pp chance.

Comment

Classy coach and even classier fans

Bon débarras!

Comment

Originally posted by Purpie_and_Goldie View Post
                        Classy coach and even classier fans

Bon débarras!
                        Someone stole my Kashmunnie name....
                        The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                        "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                        GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                        GO LAKERS!!!
                        GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                        Oswego State '09

Comment

So what are the odds that they bring back Baldarotta?

Comment

Originally posted by RedPeppersTRUEowner View Post
                            Say what?? Give up a home like Cortland???
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by RedPeppersTRUEowner View Post
                              That would be a downgrade. Baldy couldn't recruit at all and he couldn't coach. I remember trying to figure out what they were trying to run for the Power Play his final years. The best I could do was that it was to put all three forwards below the goal line and let the other team clear the puck.
                              I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Working...
                              X