Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Poll Predictons for non-existent 1/3 Poll

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    I really am confused now. Plattsburgh has won six in a row and just beat Neuman (ranked #11 at the time). They also beat Norwich (ranked #1 at the time). Of their 4 losses, 1 is to #2 Oswego in a close game and to #8 Genesseo (1st game of the reg season). This leaves the other two losses to unranked Buff State and Morrisville, both conference opponents who are notorious for pulling out wins when it is not expected. If anyone can explain this, please do.
    Originally posted by CardsFan91 View Post
    IF (and that's a big IF) Plattsburgh defeats Norwich tomorrow night for the second time and handles Elmira Saturday...you would think they could crack the top 15.

P.S- I think Plattsburgh's winning streak is at seven, not six.
    That's an awfully tough sweep, but at least both games are at home.

I'd put Plattsburgh in the top 10 if they swept the next two games.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

IF (and that's a big IF) Plattsburgh defeats Norwich tomorrow night for the second time and handles Elmira Saturday...you would think they could crack the top 15.

P.S- I think Plattsburgh's winning streak is at seven, not six.
      You are correct, it started with St Johns in the Prime Link!

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        Agreed. I can't remember a year where we have had so many teams pick up losses so quickly and now start to stockpile them.

The #1 team in the nation has two losses and almost every other ranked team has around 2-4. That's incredible.
        If you look at my computer rankings (shameless plug) you can see that the top teams are very close together, while the teams on the bottom are pretty stretched in the negative direction. It's the classical negative skew. 68 ratings points separate positions 1 and 10, while 131 points separate positions 68 and 77. Lots of good teams, but none are great. There are also a few truly awful teams.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Can someone please tell me why all the love for Gustavus? What have they done to deserve a #6 ranking?

Comment

Originally posted by puckrfactor View Post
            Can someone please tell me why all the love for Gustavus? What have they done to deserve a #6 ranking?
            Because they were in the finals two years ago and had another darn good season last year. They started out ranked pretty high despite losing Lopes and Martinson, which I didn't understand and they have been fortunate that when they have lost, the teams around them have also lost so they have stayed right about where they started the year.

It's just the way the polls work. You reap the benefits from what you did last year until you grossly prove otherwise. Look at what Norwich has done so far this year. Who have they beat? No one and they have lost to every good team they have played. If they didn't win the national championship last year, they'd be a borderline top 15 team right now.
            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
            GO LAKERS!!!
            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
            Oswego State '09

Comment

Lots of pairity this season in D3. It's funny that the highest ranked ECAC-W team is currently in last place at 1-3, but it seems as though they clearly belong there.

As a SNC fan, I wish they weren't ranked #1 right now. I mean, they lost the last time they took the ice too??? I'd have Williams at #1, not because I'm convinced they're the best team in the country but simply because they are the nations only unbeaten team and the NESCAC has shown to be pretty competitive in out of conference games so far this season...

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                Because they were in the finals two years ago and had another darn good season last year. They started out ranked pretty high despite losing Lopes and Martinson, which I didn't understand and they have been fortunate that when they have lost, the teams around them have also lost so they have stayed right about where they started the year.

It's just the way the polls work. You reap the benefits from what you did last year until you grossly prove otherwise. Look at what Norwich has done so far this year. Who have they beat? No one and they have lost to every good team they have played. If they didn't win the national championship last year, they'd be a borderline top 15 team right now.
                Difference is Gussies have opted no one and their three loses have been to no ones. I still don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by puckrfactor View Post
                  Difference is Gussies have opted no one and their three loses have been to no ones. I still don't get it.
                  Which is why my computer has them at 35th
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                    Which is why my computer has them at 35th
                    That may be a bit low for them. I just don't get the top ten or fifteen at this point. One thing for sure, this poll can sure generate some discussion. Which I guess is what it's meant to do. But if it gets too whacky, credibility is lost!

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                      You are correct, it started with St Johns in the Prime Link!
                      Actually, it started on Nov.20 agianst Fredonia.

Comment

Originally posted by Birds View Post
                        Actually, it started on Nov.20 agianst Fredonia.
                        I stand totally corrected this time!!

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Jaslow, did you have Plattsburgh in the top 15? If not, what is your reasoning?
                          Yes, I did ... barely...
                          Russell Jaslow
                          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Keep Salem State out of the poll. The week the get votes, they poop the bed.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                            X