Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clarkson & St. Lawrence @ RPI & Union (1/7, 1/8)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Clarkson & St. Lawrence @ RPI & Union (1/7, 1/8)

What's a pep band, and if we had one, would it help our struggling PP?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      If there's no attempt made to put something together, even during the thanksgiving tournament WHEN THE DORMS ARE STILL OPEN, and it's simply based upon an assumption that students won't be there, then it has to do with the band giving a ****.
      Show me how you know it's based upon an assumption that students won't be there.

Junior National Team game. School was still in session. Also, how about the weekend before classes start, especially last year? The dorms are open then. Thanksgiving, the dorms remain open.
      JNT - tail end of finals. Students have 24 hours to clear out of there dorm after their last final. Weekend before classes start, yes, they should have been there. Thanksgiving is a break - dorms open or not, no one's going to reasonably call into question their dedication if they want to spend the holiday with their families (especially if like most of the band they aren't local). You mention 7 games, out of which 5 aren't traditionally attended by the band. So essentially, 2 home games in 40 over this season and last that they should have been at but weren't. I think they're doing okay.

With local and semi-local band members (my travel distance was about the same as RC, and I would still make an attempt to drive down and attend, and I would have also offered rides for semi-local band members, even if it meant going out of my way so that they could attend), at least put the question out. If it was asked and there wasn't enough interest to warrant a band, I would find that acceptable. The alumni don't HAVE to be asked, because the band does belong to the current students. Would I think it's a nice gesture to ask alumni to attend when numbers are low? Sure.
      This is going out on a limb, but could the reason no alumni were asked be because the alumni are constantly talking **** about the band?

Originally posted by jmhusker View Post
      I thought we ended the band discussion yesterday.
      Relax, I'm almost done. Also, I really hope the snow tonight doesn't affect attendance too much.
      RPI '08

Comment

Originally posted by trick_trickster View Post
        Show me how you know it's based upon an assumption that students won't be there.
        You keep saying that we're making assumptions, acting like you know what the real (and apparently, acceptable) reason is, and yet you never get down to brass tacks.

JNT - tail end of finals. Students have 24 hours to clear out of there dorm after their last final.
        Didn't stop us from having a band in the past.

Weekend before classes start, yes, they should have been there. Thanksgiving is a break - dorms open or not, no one's going to reasonably call into question their dedication if they want to spend the holiday with their families (especially if like most of the band they aren't local).
        And yet, we had a band, in the past, for Thanksgiving weekend where it was necessary. We had a band, in the past, during the week between Christmas and New Year's when it was ALWAYS necessary.

You mention 7 games, out of which 5 aren't traditionally attended by the band.
        There weren't ANY home games that "aren't traditionally attended by the band." That's where there's a disconnect here.

So essentially, 2 home games in 40 over this season and last that they should have been at but weren't. I think they're doing okay.
        Considering it's already been more than 2 games this year, you're dead wrong.

This is going out on a limb, but could the reason no alumni were asked be because the alumni are constantly talking **** about the band?
        A little criticism comes down and instead of trying to understand why that criticism happened, the attitude becomes "the alumni are constantly talking **** about the band." Amazing. There was a group of alumni that even offered to help start an alumni band to HELP the students cover multiple events at the same time, allowing the alums to play for a men's home game, for instance, so that the band can get the opportunity to go on the road to support the women, or vice versa. We UNDERSTAND that with women's hockey at D-I, it means more events to attend, which is why we offered to help out. We were turned down, even though alumni bands are fairly common in the CCHA for that exact reason. We offered help and the answer we got was "we got it." Well, apparently not.
        Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
          Please, keep whining. It is an endearing trait. Or don't, since I've just done what you should have done instead - just put those people having a conversation you don't care about on ignore.
          Someone confused poking fun and sarcasm with whining. But on the bright side.. I guess now I'll be spared the knee-jerk contradictory responses!

Comment

Someone confused poking fun and sarcasm with whining.
            Yeah, because that post was dripping with sarcasm. (Please note, the preceeding statement was used sarcastically.)

But on the bright side.. I guess now I'll be spared the knee-jerk contradictory responses!
            Oh, for the love of God.

Comment

I asked current members of the band I know, and that was their answer.

JNT - tail end of finals. Students have 24 hours to clear out of there dorm after their last final. Weekend before classes start, yes, they should have been there. Thanksgiving is a break - dorms open or not, no one's going to reasonably call into question their dedication if they want to spend the holiday with their families (especially if like most of the band they aren't local). You mention 7 games, out of which 5 aren't traditionally attended by the band. So essentially, 2 home games in 40 over this season and last that they should have been at but weren't. I think they're doing okay.
              The actual rule that is really enforced is the day after finals at noon; typically in this semester that is a Wednesday. That twenty-four hours is just a recommendation to make it easier on the RAs. The dorms are open, you're entitled to stay until Wednesday at noon; there's no excuse. If you think I expect someone from Texas to fly out for a weekend to play with the band, that's not going to happen, and I realize that. The discussion has been local and semi-local students. Spend thanksgiving day at home? That's cool. Drive back the next morning, and you're there in time to grab instruments and start playing for the evening game (which RPI always gets in that tournament).
              I highly doubt that; otherwise there'd never be alumni events. I think it was either just never considered as an option, or the students believe that because it is their band (and many alumni make that fact quite clear), they will do everything, just as RC mentioned.

Comment

So therefore, while your opinion is valid, mine is invalid, because I am proffering criticism while you are nothing but sunshine and rainbows.

You said the band shows up to more games than anyone but "the players and the most diehard fans." I proved you wrong.

Even if you wrote what you meant to say, it would still be wrong based on the other numerous times the band has failed to show up. They couldn't even be bothered to make it to Schenectady last season for not just one, but TWO games there. That's nothing short of pathetic.

You haven't explained anything, you've only offered up excuses.

Oh, but you do, and your excuses have made it OK.

Yes, that's apparent.

You're going to make this claim when you still have yet to explain why it's acceptable for there to be no band for a home game that the opposition is bringing a band for? Congratulations. You're exactly the poster boy for the band the way it currently exists.

Not if you're dedicated. I can't count the number of times I provided each of these on my own to participate in a road weekend or a break weekend.

So unless someone puts money in your outstretched hand, nothing's going to happen. Boy, was I wrong. That's clearly dedication right there. Wowee.
                1. Your opinion is valid, your criticism is not.
                2. So where is the huge turnout by the milquetoast fans at women's hockey games and football games as well? Nobody goes to all of those games, except the band.
                3. So three games is numerous. Pretty sure the Union no shows were in conflict with other road trips the band were taking at the time, and that's a budget conflict rather than one of dedication - road trips for the band are "use it or lose it" - if they skip it one year to show up for a Union away game instead, they'll lose funding for that trip the next year.
                4, 6. Not excuses, clarification.
                5. Not saying that at all, what I said was that no one knows their reasons for not planning on being at this weekend's games, so it's stupid to speculate, especially if you automatically take it as fact.
                7. I never explained why it's acceptable fore there to be no band at a home game that the opposition is bringing a band for; it's not. If you had actually read what I wrote, you'd know this.
                8. Even if you're dedicated. Great that you were able to do it, but it shouldn't be expected of everyone.
                9. I'm not saying the band should be paid, I'm saying money is a real concern for most college students. Hence the term "poor college kid".

If you're just going to respond with one-liners again, I'm done wasting my time on you. Should you actually put thought into a response though, you can expect my rebuttal. I'd give it to you in person at the game (where I'm sure you'll be in attendance), but I'm working closing shifts all weekend. So I guess in your eyes I have no dedication.
                RPI '08

Comment

Oh, for the love of God.
                  HEY! I thought I was on ignore!

Comment

The actual rule that is really enforced is the day after finals at noon; typically in this semester that is a Wednesday. That twenty-four hours is just a recommendation to make it easier on the RAs. The dorms are open, you're entitled to stay until Wednesday at noon; there's no excuse. If you think I expect someone from Texas to fly out for a weekend to play with the band, that's not going to happen, and I realize that. The discussion has been local and semi-local students. Spend thanksgiving day at home? That's cool. Drive back the next morning, and you're there in time to grab instruments and start playing for the evening game (which RPI always gets in that tournament).
                    Awesome that you could do it, doesn't mean everyone is able to.

I highly doubt that; otherwise there'd never be alumni events. I think it was either just never considered as an option, or the students believe that because it is their band (and many alumni make that fact quite clear), they will do everything, just as RC mentioned.
                    Mine was a rhetorical question. I asked current members of the band I know, and that was their answer.
                    RPI '08

Comment

Awesome that you could do it, doesn't mean everyone is able to.
                      Two things we are discussing to counteract this. One: ask who is willing and able to travel on a weekend and/or stay until the maximum deadline. Two: Someone in the band who has a local apartment is generous enough to offer their floor, futon, whatever, so that those semi-local people that may not be able to drive back and forth can stay. I know I asked that several times, and a band member was willing enough to offer this. If there is enough motivation within the band to have a weekend skeleton crew, then it will be offered. Otherwise, we're right back at square one, where the current band doesn't give a ****.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        Don't know about I-88, but whn I left for my internship in Schenectady (which is where I-88 begins/ends), there was just the beginning of acumulation of snow. We're expected to get 3-8" of snow in the immediate Capital District, but a litle bit more to the west. I wouldn't haul a**, as there is almost ALWAYS snow/ice/rain/sleet/whatever on I-81 heading South (as you probably know.) Good luck.
                        the 3-8" of expected snowfall is for total accummaltion over a 2 day period so road crews should be able to easily stay on top of the roads...unless of course we get some of the suspended NYC snow removal crew.
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

just wondering, with Higgs out, does SA go with 11 forwards and double shift Chase to center a line of O'Grady & Cullen. Easier to replace Halpern with Tinordi/Burg/Smith
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

1. Your opinion is valid, your criticism is not.
                            Because they are above criticism, for no apparent reason.

2. So where is the huge turnout by the milquetoast fans at women's hockey games and football games as well? Nobody goes to all of those games, except the band.
                            Nobody? No, that is also wrong. You seem to have an inflated sense of importance and... wait, are you... demanding credit?

3. So three games is numerous. Pretty sure the Union no shows were in conflict with other road trips the band were taking at the time, and that's a budget conflict rather than one of dedication - road trips for the band are "use it or lose it" - if they skip it one year to show up for a Union away game instead, they'll lose funding for that trip the next year.
                            Since when have you ever needed a budget or Union funding to drive 20 miles to Schenectady? Please, "clarify." No, actually, don't, you're giving me a headache with all this spinning you're doing.

4, 6. Not excuses, clarification.
                            Does clarification make you sleep better at night? They're excuses, plain and simple. I am being asked to excuse an unacceptable situation because of your "clarification." That makes it an excuse.

5. Not saying that at all, what I said was that no one knows their reasons for not planning on being at this weekend's games, so it's stupid to speculate, especially if you automatically take it as fact.
                            So in other words, your entire argument is ethereal. It doesn't exist. You're basing all of your excuses on... nothing.

7. I never explained why it's acceptable fore there to be no band at a home game that the opposition is bringing a band for; it's not. If you had actually read what I wrote, you'd know this.

8. Even if you're dedicated. Great that you were able to do it, but it shouldn't be expected of everyone.
                            We clearly have different definitions of what dedication means. And now, apparently, playing in the band is all about playing in the band, when you feel like it.

9. I'm not saying the band should be paid, I'm saying money is a real concern for most college students. Hence the term "poor college kid".
                            It wasn't for me? Who's making assumptions now?

If you're just going to respond with one-liners again, I'm done wasting my time on you. Should you actually put thought into a response though, you can expect my rebuttal. I'd give it to you in person at the game (where I'm sure you'll be in attendance), but I'm working closing shifts all weekend. So I guess in your eyes I have no dedication.
                            That's right, walk away. Walk away from your argument, which is worthy of the ridicule being heaped upon it by multiple sides. "One-liners?" What the hell was your last response?

I'd respond to your last little gluteal-pain comment, but we've already established that you couldn't define dedication with a dictionary, so it's not even worth the effort.

Comment

HEY! I thought I was on ignore!
                              OK now, jm, you're going to have to walk me through this, since I'm apparently nothing more than a... oh, what was the word you used? Ah yes. "Knee-jerk contradictor." Was this sarcasm or whining?

Comment

OK now, jm, you're going to have to walk me through this, since I'm apparently nothing more than a... oh, what was the word you used? Ah yes. "Knee-jerk contradictor." Was this sarcasm or whining?
                                Neither. It was an admission that I misunderstood your previous post.

Comment

Working...
                                X