St. Anselm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Anselm

Their school website has them playing Canton on Jan 1 at Lake Placid. Why would they choose to play a club program over the holidays that wasn't part of a tournament.... it seem this is the only game scheduled for their trip???

Re: St. Anselm

Originally posted by jemica View Post
    Their school website has them playing Canton on Jan 1 at Lake Placid. Why would they choose to play a club program over the holidays that wasn't part of a tournament.... it seem this is the only game scheduled for their trip???
    St. A's doesn't compete for a postseason anyway. They are a D-II school stuck in limbo in a D-III dominated sport/league.

They probably just wanted a chance to play at the Herb Brooks Arena. Who wouldn't?
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Plus it is the coach's home town.
      Go 'Wick!

Comment

That's great for the players, set up a club scrimmage, get a short winter break and the coach can go home for the holidays..

Comment

That's great for the players, set up a club scrimmage, get a short winter break and the coach can go home for the holidays..
          That condescending attitude is great and all, but the SUNY-Canton program is not a "club" program. Although they play many club teams in order to fill their schedule, the hockey team is a long-standing, fully-funded part of the school's athletic department.

The school used to be a member of the NJCAA, playing a full varsity schedule and competing in national championship tournaments under that organization's umbrella. When SUNY-Canton became a 4 year institution, however, the school joined the NAIA. Much like the NCAA II schools, there is no championship competition for NAIA hockey programs due to attrition to other divisions/organizations.

NCAA II programs have a difficult time filling their non-conference schedule, since playing them basically costs a NCAA III school a game that could count towards the RPI & PWR formulas. A school like SUNY-Canton provides them with a perfect opponent, a similarly situated varsity program that isn't penalized for playing a school from another division.

Since Southern New Hampshire and Assumption also played preseason games against SUNY-Canton, it appears that at least half of the 6 NCAA II programs agree with this assessment.
          BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
          CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
          2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
          2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett View Post
            That condescending attitude is great and all, but the SUNY-Canton program is not a "club" program. Although they play many club teams in order to fill their schedule, the hockey team is a long-standing, fully-funded part of the school's athletic department.

The school used to be a member of the NJCAA, playing a full varsity schedule and competing in national championship tournaments under that organization's umbrella. When SUNY-Canton became a 4 year institution, however, the school joined the NAIA. Much like the NCAA II schools, there is no championship competition for NAIA hockey programs due to attrition to other divisions/organizations.

NCAA II programs have a difficult time filling their non-conference schedule, since playing them basically costs a NCAA III school a game that could count towards the RPI & PWR formulas. A school like SUNY-Canton provides them with a perfect opponent, a similarly situated varsity program that isn't penalized for playing a school from another division.

Since Southern New Hampshire and Assumption also played preseason games against SUNY-Canton, it appears that at least half of the 6 NCAA II programs agree with this assessment.
            Agreed, and Canton is firmly committed to transitioning to the NCAA DIII, as noted; they are a fully funded, fully supported collegiate program – not a club team. Their commitment appears to be – we will play anybody anywhere, IMO commendable to both them and the schools that are willing to give them a shot. I fully expect their transition to DIII to be very much along the lines of SUNY Morrisville, it won’t take them long to earn respect.

Remember, Roo's can only go forward, not back
            Last edited by norm1909; 01-03-2011, 09:59 AM.
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
              Agreed, and Canton is firmly committed to transitioning to the NCAA DIII, as noted; they are a fully funded, fully supported collegiate program – not a club team. Their commitment appears to be – we will play anybody anywhere, IMO commendable to both them and the schools that are willing to give them a shot. I fully expect their transition to DIII to be very much along the lines of SUNY Morrisville, it won’t take them long to earn respect.

Remember, Roo's can only go forward, not back
              I thought that D3 has pretty much shut the door on schools from NAIA and elsewhere from joining D3? They already have a large glut of schools that compete in D3 athletics.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

My intention was not to belittle Canton; it was to make point out how some coaches have little regard for their players and their families. I also looked at the NAIA website and saw now ice hockey leagues listed, yet I notice that Canton's website mentions its membership with the ACHA...I would appreciate any information that you could provide about NAIA ice hockey.

Comment

My intention was not to belittle Canton; it was to make point out how some coaches have little regard for their players and their families. I also looked at the NAIA website and saw now ice hockey leagues listed, yet I notice that Canton's website mentions its membership with the ACHA...I would appreciate any information that you could provide about NAIA ice hockey.
                  There is none - any NAIA schools playing hockey have be ACHA.
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

If I understand you correctly, then they are a club team with aspirations of going DIII. Just saw the official post on the Interlock....what happens to St. Anselm now...go completely independent or drop down to ACHA...I know they have a fairly new rink but who would risk playing D II's and hurt their chances at the end of the year for nationals????

Comment

If I understand you correctly, then they are a club team with aspirations of going DIII. Just saw the official post on the Interlock....what happens to St. Anselm now...go completely independent or drop down to ACHA...I know they have a fairly new rink but who would risk playing D II's and hurt their chances at the end of the year for nationals????
                      ECAC East is staying as is for the next two years to give the two DII schools a chance to work things out one way or another

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                        ECAC East is staying as is for the next two years to give the two DII schools a chance to work things out one way or another
                        Prof lets face it St. A's hasn't shown any interest from droping down to D3 because of basketball. It is too bad because the program and rink are first class (one of the best ice hockey facilities in D3). St. A's because of a lot of factors could be a power in D3 hockey if the school goes in that direction.
                        2009-2010 Last Person Standing winner
                        2009-2010 Interlock LPS winner

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                          Prof lets face it St. A's hasn't shown any interest from droping down to D3 because of basketball. It is too bad because the program and rink are first class (one of the best ice hockey facilities in D3). St. A's because of a lot of factors could be a power in D3 hockey if the school goes in that direction.
                          They and/or St. Mike's need to petition the NCAA to allow their games to count for the DIII teams that they play. Then they could stay

Comment

Originally posted by hawk View Post
                            You do not know what St. A's might, or might not, have been doing in this area. They would not be publicising it.
                            Go 'Wick!

Comment

If I understand you correctly, then they are a club team with aspirations of going DIII.
                              They are a varsity team with a largely club schedule and ACHA membership. The entire SUNY-Canton athletic program has NCAA III aspirations.
                              BOSTON UNIVERSITY TERRIERS
                              CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SPARTANS

UNH - 1985 NCAA Women's Lacrosse Champions!

2003-2004 D-III Tournament of Posters Champion
                              2010 NFL Survival Pool Champion
                              2014 NFL Survival Pool Co-Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X