• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida College Classic: Escape from the Arctic Blast

Originally posted by USCHO
    Florida College Classic

When: Wednesday, Dec. 29 and Thursday, Dec. 30

Where: Germain Arena, Estero, Fla.

Wednesday’s schedule: St. Cloud State (5–11–2) vs. Cornell (4–6–1), 4 p.m. EST; No. 6 Miami (10–5–3) vs. No. 9 Maine (8–4–4), 7:30 p.m. EST

Thursday’s schedule: Consolation game, 4 p.m. EST; championship game, 7:30 p.m. EST

Why you should be interested: Most may believe that the second semifinal of the Florida College Classic might be the title game. And for good reason. No. 6. Miami will face co-host No. 9 Maine in the late game on Dec. 29, with the winner facing either St. Cloud State or the other tournament co-host, Cornell, in the title game. But it would be unwise for either the Black Bears or RedHawks to overlook their championship game matchup against either St. Cloud or Cornell. Certainly, the first half of the season wasn’t kind to either the Huskies or the Big Red. But when the tournament organizers put together this slate of teams, there was reason to believe that all four could have possibly been top-10 contenders. Don’t be surprised if the Florida College Classic, then, still boasts one of the most competitive holiday tournament fields around. (Jim Connelly)
    This shindig kicks off tomorrow, though with the lovely weather along the coast it has already been an interesting road trip for at least some of the teams. Too bad it doesn't appear that there will be any TV or even streaming video coverage for us fans stuck at home.

Is everyone still in post-holiday comas around here or can we actually generate some chatter?

Go RedHawks!
    Love and honor to Miami forever and a day. Go RedHawks!

Originally posted by RedhawkBandMan View Post
    This shindig kicks off tomorrow, though with the lovely weather along the coast it has already been an interesting road trip for at least some of the teams. Too bad it doesn't appear that there will be any TV or even streaming video coverage for us fans stuck at home.

Is everyone still in post-holiday comas around here or can we actually generate some chatter?

Go RedHawks!
    I think the games are on the B-2 network for $10.00 each, if you want to watch on your computer.
    Bob is making me concerned
    I am the voice of reason

Comment

Re: Florida College Classic: Escape from the Arctic Blast

Maine and Cornell have escaped the winter weather and arrived in Florida. I assume Miami and Duluth made it ok?

I'm really looking forward to the matchup between the Black Bears and Hawkeyes.

Comment

as luck would have it I'm going to see the games tomorrow (er well, later today I guess). I'm in FLA visiting my parents. I didn't have a clue about this tourny until my dad calls and says "hey, there's an NCAA hockey tournament an 1 1/2hours from here, wanna go?"

...it may not make sense, but my dad has insisted on us wearing Wisconsin jersey's to this, despite UW not playing in the event. ok, fine w/me I'll cheer for the BIG RED of Cornell vs. St. Cloud, and Miami (red) vs. Maine.
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          as luck would have it I'm going to see the games tomorrow (er well, later today I guess). I'm in FLA visiting my parents. I didn't have a clue about this tourny until my dad calls and says "hey, there's an NCAA hockey tournament an 1 1/2hours from here, wanna go?"

...it may not make sense, but my dad has insisted on us wearing Wisconsin jersey's to this, despite UW not playing in the event. ok, fine w/me I'll cheer for the BIG RED of Cornell vs. St. Cloud, and Miami (red) vs. Maine.
          I would guess you'll see some other jerseys/hats/shirts of other schools from college hockey fans in the area for the holidays who may be going to the tourney as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
            I would guess you'll see some other jerseys/hats/shirts of other schools from college hockey fans in the area for the holidays who may be going to the tourney as well.
            In past years Estero has been described as "a regional for Florida fans," with tons of sweaters and hats from all over the college hockey community.

Safe traveling to everyone, both there and back. Let's Go (However Unlikely) Red!
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
              sweet! so it'll be like a regional for FF that way. I can't wait to see Maine and Cornell, 2 teams I rarely get to see play

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

That other college hockey site has a tournament preview:

Florida Classic Preview
                Miami notes

Comment

brief pointed recap.

Cornell vs. St. Cloud State - Cornell owned the Huskies for the first 2 1/2 periods. I mean, almost ran them out of the building w/a 3-0 lead. Then something clicked for St. Cloud and I'm at a loss as to what caused it. but that final 10-15 mins of the 3rd and all of OT St. Cloud dominated. 4-3 Huskies in OT. wow. I thought there was no-way for them to make a game of it.

Maine vs. Miami (Ohio) - uhm. Miami has 4 lines that can flat out fly. they skated circles around the Black Bears from the puck drop to the end. SOG was something like 3 or 4 to 1 in favor of Miami.

If Miami plays their game they win the tourny easily and I can't see how this team doesn't make another frozen four run

Comment

You must have been watching a different game that our radio announcers. They said St. Cloud was dominating, but just couldn't score. Was our goalie a sieve, letting in 3 goals?
                    I am the voice of reason

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                      You must have been watching a different game that our radio announcers. They said St. Cloud was dominating, but just couldn't score. Was our goalie a sieve, letting in 3 goals?
                      Lee was fine, I just thought the St. Cloud D let WAAAAAAAAAY too many Cornell forwards stand in front of the net virtually unimpeded. It was the Huskies D that let them down in the first and second periods. Cornell had several odd man rushes, and the score could have and maybe should have been 5-0 after 2.

but...the Huskies showed heart coming back. if they win tonight vs Miami it could be a springboard.

Roe and Hanowski were excellent all night btw

Comment

Lee was fine, I just thought the St. Cloud D let WAAAAAAAAAY too many Cornell forwards stand in front of the net virtually unimpeded. It was the Huskies D that let them down in the first and second periods. Cornell had several odd man rushes, and the score could have and maybe should have been 5-0 after 2.

but...the Huskies showed heart coming back. if they win tonight vs Miami it could be a springboard.

Roe and Hanowski were excellent all night btw
                        We were able to tie Miami early in the season, so we may have a shot at beating them. Our D has been verky lax this whole season.
                        I am the voice of reason

Comment

brief pointed recap.

Cornell vs. St. Cloud State - Cornell owned the Huskies for the first 2 1/2 periods. I mean, almost ran them out of the building w/a 3-0 lead. Then something clicked for St. Cloud and I'm at a loss as to what caused it. but that final 10-15 mins of the 3rd and all of OT St. Cloud dominated. 4-3 Huskies in OT. wow. I thought there was no-way for them to make a game of it.

Maine vs. Miami (Ohio) - uhm. Miami has 4 lines that can flat out fly. they skated circles around the Black Bears from the puck drop to the end. SOG was something like 3 or 4 to 1 in favor of Miami.

If Miami plays their game they win the tourny easily and I can't see how this team doesn't make another frozen four run
                          Thanks for the recap. Our Radio guys made it sound like SCSU was ready to win the national title and only God was holding them back.........The funny thing is I have left the NHC many nights and turned on the post game show only to hear our announces decscribe the game completely different than how the other 6,000 people in the building saw it.
                          I am Tommyboy, and I approve this message.

In Bob we Trust!

The Herb Brooks National Hockey Center..... I wonder who originally came up with that.

Comment

Is the St. Cloud/Miami game on any of the hundreds of random Fox Sports Net channels tonight?? I know sometimes they play the championship games so I was wondering.
                            Living a Lifetime of bleeding RED & BLACK

SIOUX is a GIRLS name....

Comment

Originally posted by Skeeterman View Post
                              We were able to tie Miami early in the season, so we may have a shot at beating them. Our D has been verky lax this whole season.
                              good luck to the huskies tonight, I hope they do the WCHA proud.

Comment

Working...
                              X