Girls hockey-Guys hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girls hockey-Guys hockey

With all the crap flying about this idiot lawyer who has disgraced himself and minor hockey, what do you think about girls playing on boys teams? Are they taking up a spot? Is girls hockey that bad that parents feel they must have their kid playing against supposed better competition. I have seen and heard plenty of conflicts for years. Some kids played on both simultaneously, until they put in a rule to stop it. Should co-ed hockey be a thing of the past? It might not be worth the risk. Seems silly, but where are we now on this?

Re: Girls hockey-Guys hockey

IMHO, a girl with comparable skills is not "taking up a spot", and up through the PeeWee level (12 and under) I feel a kid - boy or girl - is simply a kid playing and learning the game they enjoy (and we love!). In the states, PeeWee is the start of "checking" and if a girl (or her parents) choose to put her in such a position, there are challenges that will come with it. Also, with that age come some maturity and physical changes for girls that may make boys and girls alike less than comfortable (as well as the parents, obviously). Theses issues just need to be addressed directly and immediately. Period. Parents pushing their girls to "play with the boys is the only way to be better" are idiots. However, I have no problem letting kids be kids.
    Last edited by videohockey; 12-23-2010, 10:01 PM. Reason: sp
    "Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese." - Joon

Comment

Originally posted by videohockey View Post
      IMHO, a girl with comparable skills is not "taking up a spot", and up through the PeeWee level (12 and under) I feel a kid - boy or girl - is simply a kid playing and learning the game they enjoy (and we love!). In the states, PeeWee is the start of "checking" and if a girl (or her parents) choose to put her in such a position, there are challenges that will come with it. Also, with that age come some maturity and physical changes for girls that may make boys and girls alike less than comfortable (as well as the parents, obviously). Theses issues just need to be addressed directly and immediately. Period. Parents pushing their girls to "play with the boys is the only way to be better" are idiots. However, I have no problem letting kids be kids.
      This girl is not better than most of the boys this is clear. I am only being the devils advocate here, but should a girl take up a spot on a team when she could play with girls in a league with her comparable skills? Are girls hockey leagues not good enough at the highest level?
      Last edited by CanHockGuy; 12-23-2010, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanHockGuy View Post
        This girl is not better than most of the boys this is clear. I am only being the devils advocate here, but should a girl take up a spot on a team when she could play with girls in a league with her comparable skills? Are girls hockey leagues not good enough at the highest level?
        "Better than most" is not the issue here nor is that clear. If I'm not mistaken, the coach said she made the team. Only the parent (and maybe afew on the team) questioned her play.

--- Paul Macchia, Kayla’s coach, says he chose her to be on his team and never wanted her to leave.

“There’s always complaints from parents about ice time but I’ve never seen an issue where it has gone this far before,” he said. “I don’t know what they were trying to accomplish. It’s not an individual player losing a game. She made mistakes but so did others on the team. We’ve been the same since she left.” ----

But yes, maybe at this age she should be considering a top level girls organization rather than an A level boys team. That is what I would recommend to most girls I see who have the skills to challenge A level boys.
        Last edited by videohockey; 12-23-2010, 10:29 PM.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the coach said she made the team. Only the parent (and maybe afew on the team) questioned her play.
          You're right, she did make the team, and she should be playing. But could she not play on a comparable girls team? Please understand, I'm not against her playing on a boy's team really. Now I see you changed your post, then we agree.
          Last edited by CanHockGuy; 12-23-2010, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Again, IMHO, kids should be kids, and play because they love to play. My feeling is unless the girl is selected for a boys AAA team at 11 or 12, seek out the best girls org (AAA/Tier 1) and take advantage of the skills training offered in the area and thru the org. There are very few exceptions to this and most were because they had no other choice.

Note: Sorry for the added paragraph post-writ. I was adding the coaches quote and then gave my recommendation.
            Last edited by videohockey; 12-23-2010, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Again, IMHO, kids should be kids, and play because they love to play. My feeling is unless the girl is selected for a boys AAA team at 11 or 12, seek out the best girls org (AAA/Tier 1) and take advantage of the skills training offered in the area and thru the org. There are very few exceptions to this and most were because they had no other choice.
              Where should a boy play when he is better than everyone else?

Comment

Next contestant please. I've only had to deal with girls!

Seems he should be trying out for the next level at that age or go to the local selects team??? Ah, but that's also what you might recommend for the girl?
                Last edited by videohockey; 12-23-2010, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Up a level?
                  Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    Up a level?
                    Age wise you mean?

Comment

Who determines he's "better than everyone else?" You are opening a can of rotten worms here!

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeydad4two View Post
                        Who determines he's "better than everyone else?" You are opening a can of rotten worms here!
                        Whatever do you mean? You don't get it. I'm talking about an over achieving kid here! A kid who is better than all of his peers. Where should he play! Up an age group or what!

Comment

Age wise you mean?
                          Yes, if a kid is that much better than others his age allow him (if he wants) to play at the next oldest level.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Yes, if a kid is that much better than others his age allow him (if he wants) to play at the next oldest level.
                            Then maybe girls should also?

Comment

Then maybe girls should also?
                              Sure, it happens all the time around here...

Comment

Working...
                              X