This one tops the worst hockey parent listing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This one tops the worst hockey parent listing

This news item out of Toronto is generating a lot of discussion here in Ontario...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/910773

Appalling Really.

Re: This one tops the worst hockey parent listing

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
    This news item out of Toronto is generating a lot of discussion here in Ontario...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/910773

Appalling Really.
    Appalling yes...Surprising no.

I suspect the parents were just doing whatever they could to enhance their little girls chances of playing in the Best hockey league in the world...
    Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 12-22-2010, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Typical lawyer.......
      Last edited by goaliedad35; 12-22-2010, 10:45 PM.

Comment

"(Atis) is not my coach so I don’t know how he’s judging my play,” she said. “If there’s something wrong, my coach should have talked to me, not him. And my coach never did.”

Paul Macchia, Kayla’s coach, says he chose her to be on his team and never wanted her to leave.

“There’s always complaints from parents about ice time but I’ve never seen an issue where it has gone this far before,” he said. “I don’t know what they were trying to accomplish. It’s not an individual player losing a game. She made mistakes but so did others on the team. We’ve been the same since she left.”

Sounds like Mr. Macchia should have spoken up sooner and as coach taken charge of the situation. It appears that he let one pushy parent push him around.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Wow, that is just outrageous.

Comment

I love how he's like "I'd never let my kid not be able to compete and be the worst kid on the team"

Dude your kid is playing on the lowest level of travel hockey. Wayne Gretzky he is not.

Also love that he throws the blame at the girls' parents for "telling" on him by showing her the agenda. Grow up you spineless *******.

Comment

Originally posted by WIrinkrat View Post
              I love how he's like "I'd never let my kid not be able to compete and be the worst kid on the team"

Dude your kid is playing on the lowest level of travel hockey. Wayne Gretzky he is not.

Also love that he throws the blame at the girls' parents for "telling" on him by showing her the agenda. Grow up you spineless *******.
              There is always one donkey parent on every team that doesn't get it. Hope she finds happiness with the new team!

Comment

Way to foster team unity. I wonder how many teams will be eager to have Mr Atis' son on their team. Since it got so much press I imagine the poor kid will carry that in his baggage what ever team he tries for. That is the kind of parent you run, not walk away from, when you are drawing up a roster. No one wants to coach knowing that kind of stuff will pop up when the guy doesn't like how things are going. Also agree that the coach handled things poorly.
                Last edited by leswp1; 12-23-2010, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Known in the business as a "parent cut."

Wow!

Comment

Obvously the guy is a total *******, but how many of us, if we've coached, had to deal with parents like him? How many jerks live their own past's through their kid's efforts? I pity Atis' kid....can you imagine his embarressment now.....it sounds like Kayla is better off, and happier now, which would be great.....

Comment

That was the nice thing about coaching AAU girls basketball back in the day. We had tryouts, and if we didn't want to deal with certain parents, we didn't have to put their kids on the team. There were other teams those kids could play on. My best friend still coaches in a small school district and we both have always agreed the biggest problem with youth/scholastic sports is the parents. This is a prime example of that. I used to keep stats for my HS girls basketball team. Among other things, I kept what the coach referred to as the minute sheet. I tracked exactly when a player came into the game and when they came out so that coach could show the parents exactly how many minutes they were playing each game. It's a shame that sort of thing has to be tracked that meticulously, but that's what it has come to these days.

Comment

Mr. Atis,

Who knows....some might say there's a pretty good chance that I'll find myself in hell some day, but if that's the case, I'll surely see you there!

*******!
                        Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                          Way to foster team unity. I wonder how many teams will be eager to have Mr Atis' son on their team. Since it got so much press I imagine the poor kid will carry that in his baggage what ever team he tries for. That is the kind of parent you run, not walk away from, when you are drawing up a roster. No one wants to coach knowing that kind of stuff will pop up when the guy doesn't like how things are going. Also agree that the coach handled things poorly.
                          Things were handled poorly from many aspects.....

...Where is the coach in all this
                          ...Where is the association executive in all this, backing up the player and coach
                          ...And Mr Atis had the Gall to blame the mother and grandmother to "leak" his agenda to the player being targeted....

I'm sure he is regretting his actions now, as they seriously backfired. This is getting a lot of ink in the GTA. There are several spoof websites advertising his services that have sprung up mocking his real website.
                          Last edited by OnMAA; 12-23-2010, 11:01 AM.

Comment

I think we all have a story to relate if our daughter had played in a boy's team.
                            Long time ago, my daughter try out a training camp atom BB. She made the team.

At the first parent's meeting a father gets up and told to the coach:
                            "I dont understand? My son does not want to take a shower after practice"....

The coach said "OK there is a girl on my team, in our team ... this girl was the best player during the training camp, she is here to stay. I will talk with her parents about locker room solution.

In first game of the saison, the team loss 3-2, my daughter scored both of goals. In the second game the team won 3-1 my daughter had goal and two assists ... ... We never heard other comment during the season.

If my daughter continues today to evolved into a sport that is her passion is partly due to this young instructor he was only 23 years. Recently, I found in the clutter of my daughter a piece of his coach's tie in a small bag. During a big tournament, coach had challenge youth players to let them cut his tie if team win the final, It was done !!!!

Comment

12/22/2010 comentary from a lawyer blogger. CAUTION: While humorous, contains "colorful" language and analogies that may offend the more sensitive participants on USCHO. Proceed at your own risk.

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/12/lawye...s-hockey-team/

Comment

Working...
                              X