Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GLI 2010 - Or - Battle of the Endangered Coaches

G.L.I.
    Tech is still short, but now has at least 1 extra forward to play with possibly....

Furne Rix Gordic
    Pietila McCadden Johnstone
    Lickteig Holmberg MacLeod
    Gubb Witt Reddick

Cousens Seigo
    Sova Nielsen
    Stebner Heinonen

Genoe

If the Gordic line can put up 2 goals, Johnstone line another one, and MacLeod line another then the top 4 d-men have to keep the UofM to 3 goals to have any chance of winning this one.

Genoe must pull a Nolan/Teslak/Rogers/Rhoades/Ram type of performance....

Go Tech!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Show up, put up a fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Let the alumni know you played 60 minutes and left it all out there.....

Comment

Someone made a comment on the USCHO front page that the GLI this year has the best line up. Then I looked at CC and MSU's record. He must have been thinking of historically good teams. If we focus on national titles, these teams are loaded.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
      -Blackadder
      "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
      -Casablanca
      "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
      -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

This article was in the columnists section on the front page of cnnsi.com this morning: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...sic/index.html

A nice little mention of the GLI in there.
        Philbert
        ---------------
        Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
        GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

Well...I guess it's hard to be upset about that one.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

An above average effort, but a 12th straight loss is a 12th straight loss, and we neither held a lead nor at any point did we deserve to. Robinson got off the bus at the start of the game, and the rest of the team finally decided to show up in the third. The Wolverines got goals when they needed them. Not much else to say, except that with today's losses and last year's 10-1 drubbing, I'm picturing a third place game against State that will be rife with penalties and extracurriculars.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch Boy View Post
              Well...I guess it's hard to be upset about that one.
              True, Michigan didn't do much itself, but it looked to me like Tech was hussling pretty good. Not always taking the best angles and whatnot, but they didn't just roll over out there. Just wish that Robinson hadn't let in one of those last go ahead goals right after Tech tied it up. It did look to me that Michigan was starting to look tight in the second when nobody had scored yet.
              bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

The G.L.I. continues to lose a bit of its luster...

Only 13,418 for the attendance.

Tonight, I would guess ~ 17k for the title game...Probably not a sellout...

I am curious to the items mentioned about enhancing the G.L.I. by Tech a week ago.
                It is in need of a bit of refreshening at this point.
                I miss them televising the whole tournament, but obviously that started the negative attendance trend. I wish they would show both 2nd day games though, it would not hurt attendance for the third place as nobody shows up to that one anyway.

As for the game today, I think State will show up and play today.
                I was surprised how they came back on CC in the third period yesterday.

Tech really needs Brett Olson back. I sure hope he is able to play against St. Cloud....

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                  I'll make a bold prediction and say we somehow lose to Tech on day two.

Frankly, at this stage, I can't see how we can beat anybody. Tough stuff to do when you can't score goals. Or play any semblance of defense in front of the net. Or get a shot (note the singular) on the power play.
                  u call that bold?

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post

I am curious to the items mentioned about enhancing the G.L.I. by Tech a week ago.
                    It is in need of a bit of refreshening at this point.
                    I miss them televising the whole tournament, but obviously that started the negative attendance trend. I wish they would show both 2nd day games though, it would not hurt attendance for the third place as nobody shows up to that one anyway.

Tech really needs Brett Olson back. I sure hope he is able to play against St. Cloud....
                    I have often wondered if a 'thinking outside the box' solution, such as moving the tournament to Van Andel in Grand Rapids for a few years to spark a new fanbase would be a good move for freshening up the tournament. I worry that more than 30 years in the same city with the same arena with 3/4 of the teams the same is a cause of tournament fatigue.

I am all for keeping the three regular participants, as I do believe in tradition. But tradition without innovation is a recipe for a stagnant event. And a stagnant event isn't going to drive extra fans into the seats. Also, with more than half of college hockey now participating in games this week (non-con series and 7 holiday tournaments), it is harder to draw a big name fourth team because of the options out there.

The problem with moving it to Grand Rapids is that Van Andel only holds 12,000+ fans. If the GLI drew 13,000+ yesterday and drew a larger crowd for tonight, then it wouldn't make sense to move to a smaller arena. If Van Andel held 15,000, it would be a slam dunk.

A benefit to Grand Rapids is that it opens things up to a different fan base. Detroit is 2.5 hours away, Ann Arbor is 2, and East Lansing is a little more than an hour. This is easily a drivable distance by fans. However, you also open the game up to the Chicago Alums, since Chicago to Grand Rapids is a 3 hour drive versus a 5 hour drive to Detroit. Van Andel has also hosted NCAA Regionals before.

Advertisement is about as good as you are going to get for college hockey. It has been mentioned on every Redwings telecast for the last 1-1.5 months, which covers most of the potential target audience.

Not suggesting it, just throwing it as an idea out there that there are ways to freshen the tournament.
                    -----

If Tech can come out and play today with the intensity they played with last night, then hopefully the losing streak ends today. 12 games is long enough. GO HUSKIES!!!
                    Last edited by MTUHatTrick84; 12-30-2010, 02:30 PM.
                    Philbert
                    ---------------

Comment

CC has had issues in the third period at times this year. They seem to lack some conditioning, or they sit back too much. Or both.
                      Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                      -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                        An above average effort, but a 12th straight loss is a 12th straight loss, and we neither held a lead nor at any point did we deserve to. Robinson got off the bus at the start of the game, and the rest of the team finally decided to show up in the third. The Wolverines got goals when they needed them. Not much else to say, except that with today's losses and last year's 10-1 drubbing, I'm picturing a third place game against State that will be rife with penalties and extracurriculars.
                        i just hope all 20 come home in 1 piece. MTU's m.o. will be to play nasty & hurt somebody(s).

Comment

Originally posted by JS Tigers View Post
                          CC has had issues in the third period at times this year. They seem to lack some conditioning, or they sit back too much. Or both.
                          The Tigers sure didn't seem to have third period problems on their trip to Houghton. :P
                          Philbert
                          ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHatTrick84 View Post
                            I have often wondered if a 'thinking outside the box' solution, such as moving the tournament to Van Andel in Grand Rapids for a few years to spark a new fanbase would be a good move for freshening up the tournament. I worry that more than 30 years in the same city with the same arena with 3/4 of the teams the same is a cause of tournament fatigue.
                            Our friends out east with their Beanpot Tournament may disagree with that theory a bit, although I think they overstate how much that tournament matters to fanbases out of the four participating teams.

I am all for keeping the three regular participants, as I do believe in tradition. But tradition without innovation is a recipe for a stagnant event. And a stagnant event isn't going to drive extra fans into the seats. Also, with more than half of college hockey now participating in games this week (non-con series and 7 holiday tournaments), it is harder to draw a big name fourth team because of the options out there.
                            Very good point, especially about tradition without innovation. I wonder about Van Andel as an alternative (as you suggest later on in your post) though. The NCAAs there have been horribly attended. Half full houses even with close or fairly close participating teams are the norm. In the past they have hosted a couple of regular season one-off games, and the crowds for those too were awful. But who knows? Moving the tournament would certainly be innovating.

I'm reminded of the thread "The Joe is Dead" from 5 or 6 seasons ago following the CCHA finals. Right now there seems to be just one main fan base driving this tourney. Tech fans and State fans may feel less inclined to be excited by it with their teams down, and the fourth team never really seems to bring a lot of followers with it, in my opinion. And while this excuse/reason has been trumpeted to explain so much for the last couple of years, the economy really does drive down a lot of the attendance.

I think it got a tremendous boost in the early and mid-1980s with the rebirth of the programs at MSU and UM. As Tech's glory faded, the Spartans and Wolverines began to make NCAA noise and dominated the CCHA (with the help of Lake State of course) and that really made the GLI the tourney to pay attention to for a decade or more. By the early 90s, with both of those teams going strong, and the resurgence of the Red Wings, the Joe was the place to be for all things hockey.
                            Last edited by IrishHockeyFan; 12-30-2010, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHatTrick84 View Post
                              The Tigers sure didn't seem to have third period problems on their trip to Houghton. :P

I had a feeling a Tech fan might chime in about that, based on those two third periods. There have been a few of those (one against Denver as well), but that's been more the exception than the rule thus far.
                              Colorado College Hockey: Finding new and creative ways to break your heart since 1957.
                              -dggoddard

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                                Our friends out east with their Beanpot Tournament may disagree with that theory a bit, although I think they overstate how much that tournament matters to fanbases out of the four participating teams.
                                Having been there for the last couple years, in my observation, the Beanpot still means a TON to the BU, BC, and NU fanbases. Harvard fans don't show up. They've been playing it for 52 years straight with the same four teams and it hasn't become stale. It's a different dynamic, though, because all four schools are within minutes of the Garden. It's much easier for those students to show up in big numbers.
                                -dggoddard

Comment

Working...
                                X