2010-11 Laura Hurd Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010-11 Laura Hurd Thread

Hello to all. I saw the 2010-2011 Patty Kazmaier Thread and I thought since we are coming up on the long break I would get Laura Hurd award thread started. This should be an interesting year with several young players on top of the leader board along with some familiar faces.

First off here is the list of returning All-Americans:

Sarah Dagg, RIT
    Katie Stack, RIT
    Randi Zukas, Amherst
    Kim Herring, Lake Forest
    Michaela Michaelson, St. Catherine
    Kirsten Peterson, Gustavus Adolphus
    Stacey Hotchkins, Holy Cross
    Katie Little, Manhattanville
    Anna McNally, Middlebury
    Kara Buehler, Plattsburgh State
    Laura Komarek, Trinity
    Mandy Mackrell, Plattsburgh State

The top ten points leaders this year (including ties)

Sophie Leclerc, Norwich
    Katie Stack, RIT
    Kourtney Kunichika, RIT
    Sarah Dagg, RIT
    Tenecia Hiller, RIT
    Darcy Hier, Utica
    Ariane Yokoyama, RIT
    Megan Myers, Utica
    Tori Charron, Elmira
    Steph Moon, Plattsburgh
    Julie Fortier, Norwich
    Kolbee McCrea, RIT
    Erin Zach, RIT
    Lauren Straus, St. Nobert

So let the discussion begin and congratulations to all the above mentioned players to a great start to the season.

Re: 2010-11 Laura Hurd Thread

Leclerc stack dagg or moon. Guaranteed
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
      *Leclerc stack dagg or moon. Guaranteed
      In that order Prez?
      Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 12-14-2010, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Regardless of whom is deserving enough year in and year out to win this award.... all should be aware of the signifigance of the it.

http://www.ahcahockey.com/news/0607/0109lh.html

Win today and we walk together forever... - Freddy Shero.
        Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 12-14-2010, 12:33 AM. Reason: # 4

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
          In that order Prez?
          Nope not in that order.

But unless something comes up out of the blue, I'd be shocked if it's not one of those four.

Honestly, call me a homer, but if Leclerc keeps this up and Norwich makes the dance, I don't know how you can't give it to her. My preseason projection of the depth of this team was a bit overstated. I think they are still better than last year's team and the freshmen have a lot of potential, but it'd be scary to think where Wick would be without #9 in the lineup this year.
          GO LAKERS!!!
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

Nope not in that order.

But unless something comes up out of the blue, I'd be shocked if it's not one of those four.

Honestly, call me a homer, but if Leclerc keeps this up and Norwich makes the dance, I don't know how you can't give it to her. My preseason projection of the depth of this team was a bit overstated. I think they are still better than last year's team and the freshmen have a lot of potential, but it'd be scary to think where Wick would be without #9 in the lineup this year.
            Homer...

Comment

Nope not in that order.

I think it's Leclerc's to lose. Dagg and Stack are worthy candidates, but its tough to pick one standout when there are two on the same team. Even tougher when its a team that hasn't even qualified for NCAA's during the three previous years, as we all know that there is a career component to the voting. Hanlon and Zukas tend to cancel each other out, and they have been to the dance all three years (and of course winning twice.) Moon is steady and has played on a winner in many big games. But game in and game out she's only one of the best players on the ice. I think Leclerc is the best player on the ice every time NU plays. Depending on what happens in January I might be tempted to add Weiss or McNally to the list, but neither has played enough games yet to make a dent.

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
                I think it's Leclerc's to lose. Dagg and Stack are worthy candidates, but its tough to pick one standout when there are two on the same team. Even tougher when its a team that hasn't even qualified for NCAA's during the three previous years, as we all know that there is a career component to the voting.
                How many NCAA tournaments did Isabel Iwachiw make it to before she won last year? It's a long season, with plenty of hockey to play. The Tigers are ready to make their run at it this year. A tournament bid helps in the decision, I'm sure but I don't think it's the only thing. Some people might say playing hockey in college for six years might be an advantage over the other candidates too. Time will tell.
                RIT TIGERS
                2007-08 AHA Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Fan View Post
                  How many NCAA tournaments did Isabel Iwachiw make it to before she won last year? It's a long season, with plenty of hockey to play. The Tigers are ready to make their run at it this year. A tournament bid helps in the decision, I'm sure but I don't think it's the only thing. Some people might say playing hockey in college for six years might be an advantage over the other candidates too. Time will tell.
                  In Izzy's case a goalie can see 50 shots and only let in one, but if her teammates don't score, they can't win. I didn't mean to suggest that you have to make the tournament to be worthy. That being said, without Leclerc NU never gets past Plattsburgh. My original post was more about why she should be the frontrunner, not to dis either of the Tigers.

Comment

Leclerc stack dagg or moon. Guaranteed
                    You nailed it.

Comment

Originally posted by spike View Post
                      In Izzy's case a goalie can see 50 shots and only let in one, but if her teammates don't score, they can't win. I didn't mean to suggest that you have to make the tournament to be worthy. That being said, without Leclerc NU never gets past Plattsburgh. My original post was more about why she should be the frontrunner, not to dis either of the Tigers.
                      Having seen every game the cadets have played this season I can tell you that you cannot replace the leadership
                      and scoring that she has brought to the table this year. Norwich's record would probably be similiar to what it is now without her due to the weak schedule. In the second half tho and the Amherst game it would have made a
                      Difference
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

This list of past recipients of the Laura Hurd has no relevance to the outcome of this years award however I found it interesting all the same..

2000 - Sylvia Ryan - Middlebury - Nova Scotia
                        2001 - Michelle Labbe - Middlebury - Quebec
                        2002 - Sarah Moe - Gustavas - Iowa
                        2003 - Angela Kapus - Middlebury - Oregon
                        2004 - Molly Wasserman - Williams - Minnesota
                        2005 - Laura Hurd - Elmira - Ontario
                        2006 - Emily Quizon - Middlebury - California
                        2007 - Andrea Peterson - Gustavas - Minnesota
                        2008 - Danielle Blanchard - Plattsburgh - Ontario
                        2009 - Kayla Coady - Elmira - Prince Edward Island
                        2010 - Isabel Iwachiw - Trinity - New York
                        2011 - ....

Comment

Originally posted by 5 4 Fighting View Post
                          Homer...
                          ditto
                          Illegitimum non carborundum
                          Cartman: Ma'am, the Crack Baby Athletic Association is a storied institution that was founded over twelve days ago.
                          Cartman:Should I admit I was wrong, ask for everyone's forgiveness and go back to my original team? Nah, screw that, I'm just gonna keep being a d**k.
                          Cartman: Screw you sir, I'm going home.

Comment

We should be seeing a list of finalists soon.

I imagine all of the finalists will come from this list:

Sophie Leclerc, Norwich
                            Sarah Dagg, RIT
                            Katie Stack, RIT
                            Alexi Bloom, Middlebury
                            Mandy Mackrell, Plattsburgh
                            Steph Moon, Plattsburgh
                            Kristen Faber, Wis. Eau Claire
                            Michaela Michaelson, St. Catherine
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

A stellar lineup..for sure!

The criteria that must be met by the eventual winner is not necessarily found just in goals, assists or save percentages but moreso in the words of Laura's former coach...

Said her coach, Paul Nemetz-Carlson, “An honor scholar destined for success, she was bright, funny, talented, and all we hope to embody in the ideal student-athlete. The best player on the ice every day in games and practice, she played hockey in a way that reflects the character, commitment, and drive for excellence this award values and honors. She eschewed individual attention, conducted herself with humility, and valued being a teammate above all else.”

Good Luck to all Nominee's.
                              Last edited by 5 4 Fighting; 03-11-2011, 05:17 PM. Reason: spell chick

Comment

Working...
                              X