Bowdoin/Colby Weekend 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowdoin/Colby Weekend 2010

I have been quite this year but if there is any a time to get back on the boards for a Bowdoin fan, this is it. This home and home weekend usually gets its own thread and after the games they played last year I don't see why it shouldn't again this year.

Despite losing some big time players from last years NCAA team, Bowdoin seems to be picking up right where they left off last year. Their lone loss came on the road in OT to Skidmore and even then they were able to come back from a 6-2 deficit in the third after the Freshman Goalie gave up 6 goals on 19 shots in the first two frames. That game could be the story of the season right now: A lot of firepower but a big question mark in net. Shearer-Hardy and Weiniger both average 2pts/gm and Fanning is averaging 1G/gm. I am guessing we will see Nerland in net for Bowdoin after his 36 save performance vs Castleton. Also look for Bowdoin's very good freshman class. They have dressed as many as 10 in a game this year.

Colby started slow this year but went 1-0-1 last (Castleton W,Skidmore T) last week after beating the USA U-18 team and Suffolk the weekend before. As a Bowdoin fan, it feels like McKinney has been around forever in net for Colby. Last year in the NESCAC Quarters he was nothing short of phenomenal as he usually is vs. Bowdoin. I got to see Colby play Suffolk this year and I was most impressed with their '20's line' #20,21,22: Doherty, Chwick and Crinnion but the large D1 transfer defenseman Harff also looked solid.

The game tomorrow night at Bowdoin is the one that counts towards the NESCAC standings and the game at Colby on Saturday is Non-Conference. I don't know about Saturdays game but Bowdoin announced yesterday that the game in Brunswick is SOLD OUT. There will be video and live stats for those who can't make the game or didn't get a ticket.

P.S. Prez I understand you think Bowdoin is a pee wee team that shouldn't be ranked based off of one game in which their Goalie who was arguably their best player got injured in the first period, their top scorer was suspended and arguably their best defensive player was out and they got blown out 499.99 miles from home. I get it.
    Go Polar Bears Plaaaay Hockey!

Re: Bowdoin/Colby Weekend 2010

Originally posted by polarbearfan View Post

P.S. Prez I understand you think Bowdoin is a pee wee team that shouldn't be ranked based off of one game in which their Goalie who was arguably their best player got injured in the first period, their top scorer was suspended and arguably their best defensive player was out and they got blown out 499.99 miles from home. I get it.
    I'm just waiting for them to play their best hockey in Feburary and March

(kinda like Elmira )
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by prezdejohnson09 View Post
      i'm just waiting for them to play their best hockey in feburary and march

(kinda like elmira )
      lmao

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        I'm just waiting for them to play their best hockey in Feburary and March

(kinda like Elmira )
        Yeah , but at least Bowdoin can play the best hockey in the world in February and that alone would be enough to get them a game or two in March. Elmira has to jump through a lot more hoops than that.
        Plattsburgh CARDINALS
        SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
        ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
        NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
        NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
        NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
        NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Originally posted by polarbearfan View Post
          ......... I don't know about Saturdays game but Bowdoin announced yesterday that the game in Brunswick is SOLD OUT. There will be video and live stats for those who can't make the game or didn't get a ticket.........
          Friday's games at Bowdoin are a doubleheader. The women play at 4:00 pm. Is that game sold out, too?

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
            Yeah , but at least Bowdoin can play the best hockey in the world in February and that alone would be enough to get them a game or two in March. Elmira has to jump through a lot more hoops than that.
            Bowdoin won their division and made it to their CCG. What more do you want them to do?

Edit: In retrospect that may not have been a dig at Bowdoin in which case, disregard.

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            Friday's games at Bowdoin are a doubleheader. The women play at 4:00 pm. Is that game sold out, too?
            Yes. One ticket gets you into both the women's and the men's game so although the stands may not be full until 7:00, the women's game is technically sold out. Both games will have a webcast and live stats.
            Last edited by polarbearfan; 12-09-2010, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Polarbearfan,

I would agree that Bowdoin can score goals, but if I was a polar bears fan I'd be concerned with the start to the year. While they are scoring 5.2 goals per game in the conference, they are giving up an average of 4 per game and have played a fairly soft schedule so far. They've also been outshot in three of four conference games. Hardly a stellar start for all the talent they have. This suggests that there is more than just consistency in goal to blame. Regardless, I think we both would agree that there is more than enough talent for the polar bears to be a national contender. The question for me is if they can start giving up under 2.5 goals per game. If they can do that consistently they would be a tough team to beat. If they continue to try and shoot the lights out then a repeat of Oswego is inevitable. You could point to the travel, or injuries, but the game was lopsided because they aren't disciplined away from the puck.

Comment

Originally posted by canadianhockeyguy View Post
                Polarbearfan,

I would agree that Bowdoin can score goals, but if I was a polar bears fan I'd be concerned with the start to the year. While they are scoring 5.2 goals per game in the conference, they are giving up an average of 4 per game and have played a fairly soft schedule so far. They've also been outshot in three of four conference games. Hardly a stellar start for all the talent they have. This suggests that there is more than just consistency in goal to blame. Regardless, I think we both would agree that there is more than enough talent for the polar bears to be a national contender. The question for me is if they can start giving up under 2.5 goals per game. If they can do that consistently they would be a tough team to beat. If they continue to try and shoot the lights out then a repeat of Oswego is inevitable. You could point to the travel, or injuries, but the game was lopsided because they aren't disciplined away from the puck.
                I don't disagree with you at all. I think Goaltending is their biggest problem right now. Yes they are getting out shot in some of those games and I can't speak for the games away from Brunswick because I only saw the box score but Nerland was having an extremely tough time hanging on to rebounds and what could have been one shot and a whistle turned into 2 or 3. I thought the freshman Messina looked great vs Babson and the U-18 team but then he gave up 6 on 19 vs Skidmore and was pulled so the jury is clearly still out (again, I only saw the box score on this game so who knows what the goals were like). Hopefully some of the struggles this year are due to the large freshman group getting serious playing time and the growing pains that comes with that and they will come together by tomorrow!

As far as the Oswego game, we got outplayed in every facet for whatever reason and didn't belong on the same ice that night. I just had to get a word in on Prez's comments from other threads complaining about their high ranking .

Comment

I was at last nights game and was surprised the second Bowdoin goal was allowed. The Colby goalies mask had clearly come off and Rule 3 Section 5.a.b states "If a player’s (including goalkeeper’s) mask and/or helmet is displaced, there shall be an immediate whistle." I feel that goal was really the turning point of the game. Momentum definitely shifted Bowdoins way after that. Oh well, still a VERY exciting game to watch.

Comment

i was at the game too. The goal was clearly before the whistle, and i think a contributing factor for the goal counting was that a goal was taken away from Bowdoin earlier when they scored at an early whistle, or a moment after the whistle.
                    So I guess they couln't discount a Bowdoin goal because it was slightly after the whistle, then discount another becasue the ref didn't blow the whistle on time.
                    jus my .02
                    And at 5-1 Colby, the game appeared to be over.

Comment

I took my second trip from Providence to Brunswick this past Friday to watch the first of the two Bowdoin-Colby games. It was an exciting game, played before a capacity crowd at the beautiful Sidney Watson rink, a perfect atmosphere for the staging of this storied college hockey rivalry. Though the Polar Bears were the more talented team, Colby played with a lot more discipline and desire, and put themselves in a position to leave Brunswick with at least a tie. In the end talent prevailed, but only barely. In my opinion Coach Jim Tortorella has done an excellent job with the Colby program over the years. The White Mules make effective use of every ounce of talent on their squad.

On a personal note, I was happy to see Colby sophomore Scott Harff start at defense. I know Scott from his freshman year at Brown University. When it became clear that he wasn't going to play for Brown, he decided to transfer to Colby, with the blessing of Brown coach Brendan Whittet, who wanted Scott to have the best possible opportunity to participate in college hockey. Scott is a really nice kid, who has size and strength. He will definitely help the White Mules.

The Polar Bears are VERY talented but sometimes they're undisciplined and too offensive minded. I'm sure, however, that Coach Terry Meagher will have the team focusing more on defense when the season resumes in January, as was the case last year (at least until things fell apart against Oswego in the NCAA quarterfinals). They must cut back on shots and goals allowed.

I'm quite impressed by Bowdoin's freshman class, particularly skilled forwards Colin Downey and Kyle Lockwood. Defenseman Jay Livermore is solid at the blueline and forward Harry Matheson has a definite nose for the net. Ollie Koo, Nick Wetzel, Erik Bertin and Nick Raffone have the potential to become dependable players for years to come. I've seen goaltender Steve Messina play twice this season. Though he needs to improve on controlling rebounds, he appears to have a bright future with the Polar Bears. This is a young team, which will only get better.

And yes, All-America defenseman Kyle Shearer-Hardy and forward Dan Weiniger are a joy to watch -- at least from the point of view of those of us who are Bowdoin fans.
                      Last edited by Euler18; 12-12-2010, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X