Frozen Four Prognosticators Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Four Prognosticators Challenge

Something to do to occupy your time during the holiday break.What teams will make the Tournament and what order. " Just for fun "

# 1 Wisconsin
    # 2 Mercyhurst
    # 3 Boston University
    # 4 Minnesota Duluth
    # 5 Cornell
    # 6 Boston College
    # 7 Providence
    # 8 Minnesota

Quinnipiac or North Dakota could slide in

Re: Frozen Four Prognosticators Challenge

Originally posted by WFR View Post
    Something to do to occupy your time during the holiday break.What teams will make the Tournament and what order. " Just for fun "

# 1 Wisconsin
    # 2 Mercyhurst
    # 3 Boston University
    # 4 Minnesota Duluth
    # 5 Cornell
    # 6 Boston College
    # 7 Providence
    # 8 Minnesota

Quinnipiac or North Dakota could slide in
    #1 Cornell
    #2 Wisco
    #3 Mercyhurst
    #4 UMD

Other four teams in NCAA tournament will be UND, BC, BU and one of Harvard, Quinnipiac, Minny, with Minny having the edge based on HTH vs Harvard.

Lots can change once you get down to the nitty gritty. The three autobids and the HtH within the top play a major role in who gets to the dance. I could see four WCHA teams in the final eight, but that could change in a hurry if there is an upset in the HE or ECAC playoffs. Teams like Harvard, PC and Quinnipiac will probably need to win their leagues auto-bid to get in.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
      #1 Cornell
      #2 Wisco
      #3 Mercyhurst
      #4 UMD

Other four teams in NCAA tournament will be UND, BC, BU and one of Harvard, Quinnipiac, Minny, with Minny having the edge based on HTH vs Harvard.

Lots can change once you get down to the nitty gritty. The three autobids and the HtH within the top play a major role in who gets to the dance. I could see four WCHA teams in the final eight, but that could change in a hurry if there is an upset in the HE or ECAC playoffs. Teams like Harvard, PC and Quinnipiac will probably need to win their leagues auto-bid to get in.
      I think either BC or BU might have a shot at the Frozen 4;
      If we look at just eastern teams for a minute;

1. Cornell - Heartbreak last year equals great motivation going forward with a couple
      pieces added that will make the difference.
      2. Mercy - Redemption is the motivation here after having them handed their hat the
      previous final . Wisco /Mercy rematch would be exciting.
      3. BU - Get a major transfer and top recruit and suddenly you are a contender and
      that they will.
      4. BC - Is the Darkhorse. I saw them play. This team is fast and the key is
      goaltending which they have. GOALTENDING IS AND HAS ALWAYS BEEN
      THE DIFFERENCE

Anyone else sneaking in instead of any of these teams listed would be a formidable task. But never say never .

Comment

I am going to rubber stamp OnMAA's Frozen Four picks ... (in alphabetical order) ... Cornell, Mercyhurst, Minnesota-Duluth, Wisconsin. The only thing I can say for sure is that Mrs 86 and I will be there! Ordered our tix a couple months ago and got great seats! Expecting a great Frozen Four, regardless of who is there.

Comment

BC
          BU
          Cornell
          UMD

Comment

Final Pairwise:

# 1 Cornell
            # 2 Wisconsin
            # 3 Mercyhurst
            # 4 Boston College
            # 5 Minnesota-Duluth
            # 6 Boston University
            # 7 Minnesota
            # 8 Providence

Making for a no-brainer bracket of:

#1 Cornell vs. Providence
            #2 Wisconsin vs. Minnesota
            #3 Mercyhurst vs. Minnesota-Duluth
            #4 Boston College vs. Boston University

I mean... come on. This would be without question the greatest (and best attended) women's tournament in history.

Just to go a bit further:

Cornell
            Minnesota
            Duluth
            Boston College
            -
            Minnesota
            Boston College
            -
            Boston College

Ahhhhhhh
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

OnMAA has the correct four teams. He just has them in the wrong order. The correct order will be:

#1 Wisconsin
              #2 UMD
              #3 Cornell
              #4 Mercyhurst

Wisconsin and UMD will play for the national title with the Bulldogs repeating as champions. You heard it here first.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                I mean... come on. This would be without question the greatest (and best attended) women's tournament in history.
                Actually, I have it on good word that ticket sales are really moving. I believe I heard that there is only one private box left, and that ticket sales are tracking well ahead of schedule.
                Toe Blake On goalies: "You get four goals off them, or five, but the goal you've got to have to win, somehow the great ones don't let you get it.”

Comment

Originally posted by IceIsNice View Post
                  Actually, I have it on good word that ticket sales are really moving. I believe I heard that there is only one private box left, and that ticket sales are tracking well ahead of schedule.

You're not kidding. This thing is advertised all the time everywhere you go here in Erie.What is the largest attendance for a Final Four game? If Mercyhurst makes it, the numbers will be really good. Problem is, I am not convinced Mercyhurst is going to make it yet. Will they make the final 8? I believe so, but this team is so weird.
                  "If you're satisfied with being good, you'll never be great"

"heck, you go to some D-III hockey games and a Steven Segal Chinese stick fight breaks out,....." by Camman15

2009-2010 Regular Season Atlantic Hockey Pick-em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by MICZamboni View Post
                    What is the largest attendance for a Final Four game? If Mercyhurst makes it, the numbers will be really good. Problem is, I am not convinced Mercyhurst is going to make it yet. Will they make the final 8? I believe so, but this team is so weird.
                    Some of the top numbers are the 2008 Final (4,031), 2006 Final (4,701), 2003 Semi (4,801), and the 2003 Final (5,167).

I think MC would have to fall off a cliff to miss the 8-team field, unless there are a couple of lower-ranked teams taking autobids from other conferences. Even if they lose about 3 more CHA games, which I don't expect, there just aren't enough losses in their schedule to drop them out of the top 7 or 8. I expect them to win the Jan 2 game against the Badgers, because it is the type of game Wisconsin typically loses.

As for the Frozen Four, I think anybody is vulnerable to an upset. The 5-7 teams figure to be pretty solid in goal, and no ingredient produces an upset more than great goaltending.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      As for the Frozen Four, I think anybody is vulnerable to an upset. The 5-7 teams figure to be pretty solid in goal, and no ingredient produces an upset more than great goaltending.
                      Arm, this is the most truthful thing to say about it. In '08 Santa's play "stole" the semi-final game against UNH and then shut-out the WI offense in the final. Last year I'd say the same about Mazzotta's play in the semi against MH - I mean she was out of sight . . . Harss won the championship for UMD but I think she had better D in front of her - and maybe a deeper bench which allowed UMD to finally outskate the Big Red. It's sort of like football, offense gets you there but it's really D (including goaltending)that win championships. At this point I give winning the championship edge to Cornell or UMD mainly on strength in goal.

Comment

While I agree that Mazzotta was great in all 10 periods at the Frozen Four, I thought Pattenden held her own in the goaltending department in that semi. The difference, IMO, was Cornell was better at getting behind the defense and creating prime scoring chances.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by binnyrus View Post
                          Arm, this is the most truthful thing to say about it. In '08 Santa's play "stole" the semi-final game against UNH and then shut-out the WI offense in the final. Last year I'd say the same about Mazzotta's play in the semi against MH - I mean she was out of sight . . . Harss won the championship for UMD but I think she had better D in front of her - and maybe a deeper bench which allowed UMD to finally outskate the Big Red. It's sort of like football, offense gets you there but it's really D (including goaltending)that win championships. At this point I give winning the championship edge to Cornell or UMD mainly on strength in goal.
                          This is where BC is a dangerous team, a good team with speed and great goaltending.

Comment

My predictions for the final seeding
                            1) Cornell
                            2) Mercyhurst
                            3) Wisconsin
                            4) BU
                            5) UMD
                            6) BC
                            7) Minnesota
                            8) North Dakota

QFs
                            Cornell > NDakota
                            Mercyhurst > Minnesota
                            Wisconsin > BC
                            UMD > BU

SFs ('09,'10 Final Rematches)
                            Wisconsin > Mercyhurst
                            UMD > Cornell

Final ('07, '08 Final rematch)
                            UMD > Wisconsin

A few comments:
                            WCHA teams will be inadequately rewarded in the RPI for their strength of schedule. If it came down to North Dakota (or other 4th WCHA team) vs. Providence or Northeastern, I think North Dakota could still benefit from a better record vs. BU as a common opponent and a better record vs. teams above .500.

Mercyhurst has drawn relatively weak quarterfinal opponents the last 2 years, but it seems likely they'll end up with a solid WCHA opponent this year. I can see a ton pressure being on Mercyhurst for that game.

Comment

Having just watched BU dismantle Harvard, I would not hesitate to put them into the Frozen Four. Their skill, speed and discipline on and off the puck is something to behold. I admit that I have not seen the other teams this year and I respect what Wisconsin, Mercyhurst and UMD bring to the table but I would not want to bet against the Terriers. Not off what I saw tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X