The WJC Thread. USA! USA! USA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The WJC Thread. USA! USA! USA!

As a proud member of USA Hockey, I say that the most vocal critic/hater of USA Hockey shouldn't start the thread to talk about OUR team.

I know we'll have a tough time repeating, but last year was so much fun, I'm hoping for the best. I've been accused of being more excited for that victory than I was for the Blackhawks first Cup of my lifetime.

Last edited by Fan Forum Moderator; 12-15-2010, 04:01 PM. Reason: edited to remove attacks on a poster

Re: The WJC Thread that HOKYDOPE didn't Start. USA! USA! USA!

Comment

Link to Preliminary Roster: http://www.usahockey.com/world_junio...aspx?id=295910

Comment

False... Love USA hockey and support it at every turn. Cant stomach National program and politics that surround it. 2 Totaly different beasts. They are not one in the same, which is what ntl team wants the masses to believe. Herb Brooks hated the program with a passion. Pointing out politics and obvious misses of worthy kids who earned a spot has zero to do with hating it.

Loved last years team and was thrilled when they won. Was one of the highlights of the year.

Sticking up for a kid who has speant his entire carear earning the right to tryout, and I do mean earning, which he did has zero to do with the team and supporting it. I already have my tix and cant wait for a repeat.

Heard today that with Kane and Hossa out, Kane for next 3 weeks, will be tough for Morin to be on team. Hope not as he would have a big series for them.

If you think Samuelson has done more than Krug to get an invite to his 3rd tryout, outside playing at BC, than you are loyal but maybe to loyal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          Such a great ending to that game.
          Was nice to silence all the Canadian fans who were so loud at the end of the 3rd when Canada tied it up.
          I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
            False... Love USA hockey and support it at every turn. Cant stomach National program and politics that surround it.
            You were negative through the entire tourney last year and then disappeared after they won.

If a deserving kid doesn't get a look, I would guess that there is an underlying reason.

This isn't the local youth hockey program where everyone who shows up gets a shot. The national program is footing the bill, so they get to pick their team. End of story. Fair has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              You were negative through the entire tourney last year and then disappeared after they won.

If a deserving kid doesn't get a look, I would guess that there is an underlying reason.

This isn't the local youth hockey program where everyone who shows up gets a shot. The national program is footing the bill, so they get to pick their team. End of story. Fair has nothing to do with it.
              USA hockey foots the bill, I.e. all the 6-12 year olds running around the rinks. nat dev team has nothing to do with it

this isnt a private team but a USA hockey funded entity, paid for by its members.

This is USA Hockey

With a membership of more than 585,000 ice and inline hockey players, coaches, officials and volunteers, USA Hockey's primary emphasis is on the support and development of grassroots hockey programs

STATEMENTS OF UNRESTRICTED REVENUES, EXPENSES
              & OTHER CHANGES IN UNRESTRICTED NET ASSETS
              AUGUST 31, 2009
              Revenue 2009 Membership registrations and dues $19,379,067

Comment

Lot's of folks don't like the USNDTP, but the reality is that USA's hockey's results at the U17, U18 and U20 levels have been much better since its inception. THE USNTDP nucleus (many of our top guys) have been made better by playing against each other every day, having a professional weight training environment and playing against college teams to improve.

For every organization in the world, politics exist. USA Hockey is not alone in this. Hockey Canada has them too, and so does the Swedish Hockey Federation, North Dakota, Harvard, Bemidji State, Bentley, IBM, Wal-Mart and Bill's Auto Glass . Everyone.

There are more than enough qualified hockey canadidates than there are spots in an elite organization. Inevitably, some people aren't going to get there. The challenge is to be such a good player, have such good character and respect for the organization that you can overcome the politics.

Herb Brooks was a great hockey coach - creative, hard-working and passionate. But he was also nasty, surly and insulting to many of the people in USA Hockey - people like Badger Bob Johnson and Art Berglund, who were working just as hard has Herb was to develop American players. He could have really had a much larger impact on the US development system if he had learned to better work within the system, instead of often attacking it from the outside. Herb interviewed for the 1992 Olympic Job and didn't get the job, because he insisted on not only coaching the team for '92 and '94, but revamping the whole elite development system, too.
                Last edited by Puck Swami; 12-08-2010, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                  Lot's of folks don't like the USNDTP, but the reality is that USA's hockey's results at the U17, U18 and U20 levels have been much better since its inception. THE USNTDP nucleus (many of our top guys) have been made better by playing against each other every day, having a professional weight training environment and playing against college teams to improve.

For every organization in the world, politics exist. USA Hockey is not alone in this. Hockey Canada has them too, and so does the Swedish Hockey Federation, North Dakota, Harvard, Bemidji State, Bentley, IBM, Wal-Mart and Bill's Auto Glass . Everyone.

There are more than enough qualified hockey canadidates than there are spots in an elite organization. Inevitably, some people aren't going to get there. The challenge is to be such a good player, have such good character and respect for the organization that you can overcome the politics.
                  Very well stated...

But in regards to your last statement, apparently not or Krug would be there. His track record of success, winning, leadership is second to none. Absurd he is not there.

But in fairness, said the same thing last year and they won the Gold so I at least you support my supersticious role in locking up another win

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                    Very well stated...

But in regards to your last statement, apparently not or Krug would be there. His track record of success, winning, leadership is second to none. Absurd he is not there.
                    But in fairness, said the same thing last year and they won the Gold so I at least you support my supersticious role in locking up another win
                    He's not the only one with those qualities!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you know personally every single kid that was invited and can say they don't have those qualities, I don't know how you can determine this has COMPLETELY to do with politics. Politics is always involved, but it's not 100 percent the factor in every decision ever made by an organization.

Like it's been said, there's a lot of depth in the USA right now. They can't invite everyone. USA hockey has to fill different roles, so sometimes good players get left off. It's time to move on and get over it.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                      He's not the only one with those qualities!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you know personally every single kid that was invited and can say they don't have those qualities, I don't know how you can determine this has COMPLETELY to do with politics. Politics is always involved, but it's not 100 percent the factor in every decision ever made by an organization.

Like it's been said, there's a lot of depth in the USA right now. They can't invite everyone. USA hockey has to fill different roles, so sometimes good players get left off. It's time to move on and get over it.
                      Torey Krug
                      2 time national champion with 90 Detroit Honeybake while playing up a year
                      won Silversticks
                      Won the Quebec tournament
                      Won national championship while playing at own age with Belle Tire
                      Won six Michigan state championships

Went to Indiana Ice/USHL as a 17 year old. Played there 1 year and did as follows
                      Team won the league championship. he had 47 points, next closest D was 2 + years older with 28 points. This put him 2nd in league for all dman as a 17 year old and broke Indiana's all time dman scoring record. In playoffs had 7 points and led team with a plus 11. Member of the USHL All-Rookie Team
                      Moved on to Michigan State as an 18 year old freshmen
                      As a freshmen, led all D in scoring with 21 points as well as 80 blocked shots. and named to all CCHA rookie team.
                      Was named the CCM CCHA Rookie of the Month for December, and earned the HCA National Rookie of the Month honors for December as well
                      Named the CCM CCHA Rookie of the Month for January, the second straight month he earned the honor .
                      Blocked a season-high nine shots in the CCHA quarterfinals against Michigan (3/12-13), with an assist in each game ... Finished the season on a four-game point-scoring streak, the longest active streak on the team.
                      Graduated with a 4.02 grade-point average from Cathedral High School in Indianapolis

East Lansing, Mich. - Michigan State sophomore captain Torey Krug has been named to the CCHA Preseason All-Conference Team, as announced today by the CCHA office.

Krug received the third-most votes of any blueliner in the conference, garnering three first-place votes and 30 points. An All-Rookie team selection a season ago, Krug had a 3-18-21 scoring line while playing approximately 24 minutes per game as a freshman. Krug was voted the captain of the Spartans by his teammates during summer workouts.

Aug. 31, 2010

East Lansing, Mich. - -- Michigan State hockey coach Rick Comley has announced that sophomore Torey Krug (Livonia, Mich.) will captain the Spartans in the upcoming season, with seniors Dustin Gazley (Novi, Mich.) and junior Trevor Nill (Novi, Mich.) serving as alternate captains.

Krug is only the second player in Michigan State history to wear a captain's "C" on his sweater as a sophomore. Detroit native Don McSween was a captain in the 1984-85 season, sharing the captaincy with Kelly Miller and Dan McFall. Krug becomes the only solo sophomore captain in program history.

"Torey has established himself as a leader in our locker room, and it's a testament to him that his teammates voted him to be their captain," said head coach Rick Comley, who is embarking on his ninth season behind the bench at Michigan State. "We saw those leadership qualities in him as we recruited him, and we knew that he would bring that to our program. Dustin Gazley and Trevor Nill are two hard-working players who expect the best of themselves and the others around them, and they are great leaders by example. It's their conduct, effort and initiative that has established them as leaders among their teammates, and the vote was very indicative of their stature in our locker room."

This year with Michigan State, he is second on the team in scoring with 15 points in 17 games, 3 times more than the next dman on the team.

Samuelson is 3rd on his team for d scoring and 4th in plus minus on D. Has been very sloppy, been to the WJC camp 3 times now, with the first 2 being the first rd cut group. has done zero this year on the ice to be there again.

I know there are many great canidates but none more so deserving, if so please provide info. USA hockey on purpose makes sure they only have Natl kids and other chosen ones there.

He at least deserves the chance to skate with thegroup and if gets cut, so be it.

Comment

Herb Brooks was a great hockey coach - creative, hard-working and passionate. But he was also nasty, surly and insulting to many of the people in USA Hockey - people like Badger Bob Johnson and Art Berglund, who were working just as hard has Herb was to develop American players. He could have really had a much larger impact on the US development system if he had learned to better work within the system, instead of often attacking it from the outside. Herb interviewed for the 1992 Olympic Job and didn't get the job, because he insisted on not only coaching the team for '92 and '94, but revamping the whole elite development system, too.[/QUOTE]

maybe so but the single biggest jump in expansion, rinks, development etc was so because of him. thank God he didn't listen to them and picked the kids he wanted. he might not have liked Johnson but he sure as heck rode his kid and didnt let bs politics get in the way of picking the "right" players. The nasty comments were mutual, not one sided.
                        USA hockey would not be where it is today without Herb Brooks. His reach was very similar to what Tiger Woods did for the PGA tour and the prize money rocketing up so high.

Comment

Four players on the Tryout Roster from California, one from Nevada & one from Colorado and USA Hockey isn't doing its job?

Elite programs are used all over the world for Olympics sports and they just plain work. Put 20 of the best athletes from any country together, give them elite coaching and sit back and watch the Gold Medals roll in.

Trust me, if Canada continues to Silver Medal in this event, Hockey Canada is going to receive H-E-double hockey sticks.

Comment

Does anyone have any info on Torey Krug?
                            I was surprised to not see his name on the preliminary roster, but I haven't seen anyone mention him on here.
                            I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

Does anyone think that Herb Brooks would have selected Krug in 1980 if he was available? With his leadership skills I think he would have done a better job than Eruzione.

What about naming Krug as a last minute player/coach for Team USA? By getting rid of the head coach and an extra player, USA Hockey could save on hotel and food bills during the Tourney. Plus it would be good for the environment since there would be one less set of linens to clean each day.

Congrats to Krug for getting Michigan State off to to 6-8-3 start. He has an opportunity to be only the second captain in the last 20 years to lead Michigan State to a losing record.
                              Last edited by dggoddard; 12-08-2010, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X