Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College hockey TV broadcasts to disappear from your dish ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College hockey TV broadcasts to disappear from your dish ?

Consumerist reposts a report in a trade publication that DirecTV is considering dropping several feeds on its service "Channel Dumping" in a cost-cutting move. Their report (see link to trade publication in the OP): "Among those vulnerable channels that may be on the chopping block are regional sports channels."

http://consumerist.com/2010/12/direc...l-dumping.html

From the linked trade article: "DirecTV executives mentioned that satellite TV competitor Dish Network has not carried key regional sports networks that it has deemed too expensive and seems to be doing fine."

Does this mean the various Fox regional services and perhaps some others as well now carried on DTV would be eliminated, thereby reducing the number of games the college hockey fan can see during the season ?

I would drop DirecTV in a heartbeat if not able to watch 3-4 college games on a typical Friday, starting with a NESN game in the east, then meandering to the Gophers feed, the occasional game involving the Sioux, ending with something from the West on Rocky Mountain with Denver or CC playing. The reason I subscribed to DirecTV in the first place, dropping my local cable service, was because DTV had wider carriage of channels that show D1 college hockey than any other video provider.

This may prompt schools or conferences to broker deals with "Conference" channels (BigTen Network perhaps) or provide some internet streaming service, to carry their games.
    Maine coach Red Gendron said:
    “We’re not satisfied unless we win, that’s the bottom line. There are no moral victories. If we were to play a season for just moral victories, why even bother playing?”

Re: College hockey TV broadcasts to disappear from your dish ?

If DirecTV followed through with this, I will drop them faster than a Kardashian sister drops her panties around a professional athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnypohlfan View Post
      If DirecTV followed through with this, I will drop them faster than a Kardashian sister drops her panties around a professional athlete.
      Add me to the same list. (NOT the professional athlete OR the Kardashian sisters...)
      "Those who think they know it all usually know less than those who listen and learn."

Comment

I got rid of DirecTV last summer and I really miss the Regional channels and the various games that I could get. The problem with those is that they compete with my own team's games. I like the weekend series format, but would prefer a setup more like college hoops so I could see more games. Oh well.

Why did I drop it? We're getting a bigger house and I needed to trim unnecessary expenses in preparation for a bigger house payment. I kept the local cable due to internet, phone and the 6 TVs I have hooked up throughout the house.

The other bad part about dropping DirecTV is that very few of the NHL Center Ice games are in HD on my local carrier. It seems that most were on DTV.

Fu_ckin TV providers.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
          The problem with those is that they compete with my own team's games. I like the weekend series format, but would prefer a setup more like college hoops so I could see more games. Oh well.
          I routinely DVR 4-5 games a weekend and then watch them after getting home from ND games. I have no life outside college hockey and if DTV dropped these channels, not only would I drop DTV, but I'd have to get a life too. Of course I'd have little more money to use in that life...
          "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
            I routinely DVR 4-5 games a weekend and then watch them after getting home from ND games. I have no life outside college hockey and if DTV dropped these channels, not only would I drop DTV, but I'd have to get a life too. Of course I'd have little more money to use in that life...
            I have a life -- it's called summer!
            Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

It's probably posturing by DirecTV to keep MSG, YES, Fox Regionals and other niche networks to keep their costs in check so they don't have a fight like Fox did with Dish.

As of right now, the only National carrier of MSG and YES channels is DirecTV.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The thing is they charge extra for the college sports pack (not sure the actual name of sports package) so they would lose out on money also. I am betting they are threatening this to lessen the blow of increasing the cost of this package. i am with everyone else if this happens. Goodbye Direct Tv hello Dish Network or local cable.
                BEAVER FEVER!

Comment

One thing I've learned about Dish Network is the regional sports channels are not HD 100% of the time. If they run out of bandwith, they'll only have the SD feed. It happened a couple times over the summer with Fox Sports North and the Twins.

Comment

When was the last time you saw such posturing by the cable or dish companies for the Lifetime channel, or Home Shopping Network? If not for the sports channels there would be no TV at all. I'm convinced of that!!!
                    No man is entitled to the benefits of freedom if he is not vigilant in its preservation. - Douglas MacArthur

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. - Albert Einstein

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I have Dish and I just signed up for the package to get all of the regional sports channels, so I'm not sure which "key regional sports networks" Dish doesn't carry. On a typical weekend I'll get 3-4 or more college hockey games to choose from.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        I have Dish and I just signed up for the package to get all of the regional sports channels, so I'm not sure which "key regional sports networks" Dish doesn't carry. On a typical weekend I'll get 3-4 or more college hockey games to choose from.
                        Here's the comparison I quickly whipped together.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...en&output=html
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                          Here's the comparison I quickly whipped together.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...en&output=html
                          There aren't many, if any, that dish is missing that would carry college hockey. Maybe FSN Wisconsin, but I don't think the badgers are on there much. The games that they carry on fox college sports are usually also on rocky mountain, north or detroit.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                          X