PC/ Brown: Mayors Cup time!!!1!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC/ Brown: Mayors Cup time!!!1!!!

Yes, it's time for the most exciting college hockey rivalry... involving two teams from Rhode Island playing one another! Who will win? The disappointing Bears or the surprising, but not particularly great Skating Goons? And how many posts in this thread before everyone loses interest?

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Re: PC/ Brown: Mayors Cup time!!!1!!!

Originally posted by Jon View Post
    And how many posts in this thread before everyone loses interest?
    One?
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

This actually used to be a big rivalry that drew big crowds- and then they put it on a week night every year. Good call; neither of these teams needs any help whatsoever at the gate, no matter the night.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        This actually used to be a big rivalry that drew big crowds- and then they put it on a week night every year. Good call; neither of these teams needs any help whatsoever at the gate, no matter the night.
        Great point! One would think, after all these years of small crowds on weeknights, someone in one of these institutions of higher education would stop and think that they could do something special with this game. But I suppose that would take someone who can think. Do they players still get as pumped for it as they used to?

Comment

Originally posted by The Freds View Post
          Great point! One would think, after all these years of small crowds on weeknights, someone in one of these institutions of higher education would stop and think that they could do something special with this game. But I suppose that would take someone who can think. Do they players still get as pumped for it as they used to?
          I doubt they do. Back in either 02-03 or 03-04, when Brown had Yann Danis and PC had Nolan Schafer, I remember going to Meehan and seeing a nearly sold-out house. The Brown crowd/students were loud and into the game, as were the visiting fans (I almost wrote "traveling fans," but it's only a 5 minute drive across the city). The on-ice play was phenomenal, as PC won a very closely-contested game, 3-1. Both teams were vying for national rankings, and it was a very fitting atmosphere for the occasion.

That game, of course, was played on a Saturday. When students don't have classes/upcoming exams, families and alumni don't have work/school, and it's easier to get into the game because you're not beat from a long day. In 6 years, we've gone from packed arenas to dwindling crowds and a lack of campus interest, primarily because the games are played on Tuesdays. Additionally, the on-ice play from both teams has turned people away, but I would wager it's the week night games that have diminished this rivalry the most.

Comment

Maybe they should move it to the Dunk

Comment

I remember a half filled Meehan and a half filled Coffin when this game was played on weekends, but that's still an improvement.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
              -Blackadder
              -Casablanca
              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Does anyone really think either school cares about their hockey program

Comment

Bruno 6, PC 2.
                  Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                    Maybe they should move it to the Dunk
                    Been there, done that.
                    LET'S GO BRUNO!

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                      I doubt they do. Back in either 02-03 or 03-04, when Brown had Yann Danis and PC had Nolan Schafer, I remember going to Meehan and seeing a nearly sold-out house. The Brown crowd/students were loud and into the game, as were the visiting fans (I almost wrote "traveling fans," but it's only a 5 minute drive across the city). The on-ice play was phenomenal, as PC won a very closely-contested game, 3-1. Both teams were vying for national rankings, and it was a very fitting atmosphere for the occasion.
                      Hey at the time I lived in that northernmost RI city. Schneider was a home game, no problem. The trip to Brown was a major road trip that required a hotel stay.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                        Bruno 6, PC 2.
                        If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there...
                        Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
                          Does anyone really think either school cares about their hockey program
                          no. Next question.

Which is an unbelievable shame considering the history of hockey at both schools, but whatever...

-Blackadder
                          -Casablanca
                          -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                            no. Next question.

Which is an unbelievable shame considering the history of hockey at both schools, but whatever...
                            It's not like one played in the first ever collegiate hockey game and the other has been playing for 70+ years...

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                              Bruno 6, PC 2.
                              Oh you think so, do you? Well I say PC 6 and Brown 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X