Quinnipiac Women's Hockey Report before break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quinnipiac Women's Hockey Report before break

Sorry to all those interested in this topic, will try to post more often in the future.

The Quinnipiac Women’s ice hockey team (13-6-1) overall (6-5-0) in conference play, good enough for second place in the ECAC finished the first half of the season strong as they ended before a month long break from games with a four win streak. The games were a 9-1 rout of Sacred Heart and a 2-1 win over Yale to capture their second Nutmeg Classic Title, as well as 4-0 victory over Brown and a 3-1 win over Yale as well. What can be said about this team?

For one, goaltending is not an issue. Victoria Vigilante continues to show strong dominance in net, having a 12-6-1 record with a Goals Against Average of 1.73. She continues to shut off teams that keep throwing pucks to the net, and she continually turns them away with ease. Another emerging leader is that of freshman forward Kelly Babstock. She now leads the nation in points and recently broke the Quinnipiac school record for goals in a single season with 16, recording her 17th the next day, as well as having 19 assists and having a plus/minus of 21. But Babstock is not one to take the entire spotlight, as freshman Erica Uden Johansson and sophomore Katie Wheeler contribute to the team’s success as well.

Quinnipiac continues its home dominance, giving the fans something to cheer about at home with a 8-3-1 record at TD Bank Sports Arena, 5-3-1 on the road. I only see this team getting better after having a month off, as they will get healthier and come back ready to go on the home stretch and make a strong effort to make the top of the ECAC conference and hope for a deep playoff run.

Re: Quinnipiac Women's Hockey Report before break

Frankly given the talented players you've mentioned, I feel this team has underachieved to date (though certainly I did not expect Babstock to lead the nation in country, so maybe that's a bit unfair). They should be indisputably 2nd in the ECAC, but they're a dismal 6th in ECAC win pct (though they've already gotten Cornell out of the way). The overtime losses at home to Colgate (especially) and Dartmouth (to a lesser extent) are inexplicable to me. The road loss to RPI is disappointing. The win over Harvard and tie against BC were notable. The 2nd-half schedule is far more road heavy. They're better than every team left on their schedule, but they've shown little to date to indicate they'll come close to winning out. Probably 10-4 the rest of the way is about right, which could be good enough for anywhere from 2nd to 5th. There's a lot of parity beyond Cornell so it's hard to tell.
    Last edited by dave1381; 12-05-2010, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Re: Quinnipiac Women's Hockey Report before break

For a team with only two seniors, one of whom has played in only one game, I think they're doing well. A roster with 11 frosh is going to have some inconsistency, no matter how talented they are.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Working...
      X