#5 UNH Visits UMass Lowell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #5 UNH Visits UMass Lowell

Will tonight be "Marty Meehan Appreciation Night"?

Some pregame observations from Coach Borek and Steve Craig of fosters.com.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Re: #5 UNH Visits UMass Lowell

What is the over/under on attendance tonight?
    Please join me in the fight to reduce the world's supply of Bacardi.

Comment

Originally posted by SPCSMAN View Post

Comment

should be a good game

Comment

Originally posted by Warrior51 View Post
          should be a good game
          I hope not!

Very close to making the spontaneous trip . . . Manchester NH to Lowell, MA . . . so short . . .
          I haven't been on here in a year...
          Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
            I hope not!

Very close to making the spontaneous trip . . . Manchester NH to Lowell, MA . . . so short . . .
            For your sake, if you come down, I hope not too! I think I am going to head up to Lowell for the game

Comment

Originally posted by SPCSMAN View Post
              3,500 or so would be my guess.
              Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
              2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
              2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
              2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

still thinking about making the trip; depends how well afternoon goes at work......, so could be 3501

Comment

Pretty solid game by DiGi and the Wildcats.
                  UMass Lowell looks like they have some skill players - Ferriera, Pendenza, and Vallorani looked good.
                  Good luck the rest of the way.
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Probably good thing that I was not able to make it up to Lowell tonight, as I am usually a jinx for the Cats at Tsongas. CHN has the attendance at 3383 in the final box score, so pretty good call above. Good to see three of the four lines involved in the scoring.

Comment

I actually thought it was a pretty ugly win. The 'Cats never really seemed smooth, rarely maintained possession in the offensive zone, and still turned the puck over way too much. DiGi looked good, though I didn't think he was tested all that often. Still, a shutout is a shutout.
                      Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                      -Fred Shero

Comment

Here's my take. First, my not-so-scientific observation of the attendance led me to believe that there were no more than 1,500 people there. The place seats 6,000 and there is no way that it was half full. As noted, winning teams fill arenas, not ones that are playing like UML.

As for the game, I thought that UNH had a large territorial edge in the first period but were barely ahead because of their inability to finish. They had a lot of nice breakouts, nice passing through center ice, but when the puck got below the dots, nothing seemed to click. Deflected goal for Kostolansky was it. Second period they did a lot better. Nice breakout by Borisenok and Moses for the second goal and really nice passing by the first line, with Sislo finishing, for the third goal. Third period Lowell turned it up a bit, but except for the 5-on-3, really didn't threaten.

UNH is playing well, and they did have the edge on Lowell for the most of the night, but I'd have to say that a better team would have capitalized on UNH's inability to finish. I understand that the first game (which I didn't see) was all UNH. My guess is that Lowell played better this second time around, they certainly skated hard. But they looked a little lost out there at times. Probably an inexperience thing. Hopefully for their fans they will improve in the second half.

Last home game of the first half on Sunday vs. UVM. Let's take care of them so we can head to Maine next Friday on a positive note.

Comment

Working...
                        X