Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fanboys and Superfrauds, 251st and 252nd Edition (12/3, 12/4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fanboys and Superfrauds, 251st and 252nd Edition (12/3, 12/4)

As much as it pains me to write, I predict BC to take 3 points this weekend. A 3-3 tie Friday and a 4-1 win for BC at Conte seems reasonable.

Here's my breakdown of BU and why I think they're vulnerable to a team with so many skilled forwards:

BU has some very skilled forwards but they often get caught in deep (3 man cycle) which leads to a lot of odd man rushes. Not something you want to do with Kredier and Atkinson on the opposition.

What's more concerning is that BU's defense has a tendency to give up the blue line almost immediately allowing the other team's forwards to "walk-in" the zone which leads to lots of shots. I think BU gives up, on average, 44 shots per game. Many of these are lower percentage shots as it seems BU is content to play the angles. That approach might be OK against UML and Providence, but not BC. BC forwards will make the extra pass and take the higher percentage shot. This teams sags even more on the PK. It's almost shocking how quickly they give up entry into their zone.

BU's defense also seems to take a lot of unecessary risks IMO. It looks like the team is eager to run a transition game and skate the puck out to center ice every time. They never seem content to bank the puck out off the boards when in trouble. Rather they often make the extra pass or skate the puck out up the middle of the crease without support. Since they are young, this leads to a lot of turnovers. Fortunately, Millan and Rollheiser have been able to bail them out, but again...a much riskier proposition against a team as skilled as BC.

BU's powerplay is awful. Once they get set-up in the zone. Nobody seems to move an inch. What ensues is a pass-a-thon with poor angle shots.

Finally, BU has some significant injuries. They need Connolly and Escobedo back. MacGregor will be OK but I don't think he's ready yet. (Anyone know the status of these guys and Clendening for that matter?)

That being said...BU is 7-1-5 and has some quality wins, is getting great goaltending, and has three very solid front lines. If BU doesn't fall too far behind early, Millan/Rollheiser continue to show up, and the D is a bit more conservative anything could happen.

The Powerplay needs real help though. TRY TO MOVE AROUND A LITTLE GUYS!!!!

What's the scouting report on BC? I didn't think they'd lose 5 games all year, but this is likely just York getting the 3rd and 4th lines equal time. You may be exposed a little now and lose a few, but the minutes the lower lines get makes BC better as the year goes on. It also keeps the top lines fresher. We all saw how this tactic played out for BC last year...Who wouldn't rather lose in the begininng than the end of the season?

In any regard...I always prepare for the worst and hope for the best in these games.
    Last edited by Jacques Joubert; 11-30-2010, 08:37 AM.
    Boston University: 2009 NCAA Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
      edit #2 - this thread really sucks.
      Just like BU.
      Originally posted by mookie1995
      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
        It'll be funny to see how Crapbag U. does against a legit team for a change. Tying Brown at home? LOL.

Where's your Beanpot?
        You make a point about the schedule so far, but to be fair BU beat UNH and tied Maine at home. Brown also tied UNH at the Whitt. They're not half bad. They're a little dirty but pretty skilled (reminded me of Merrimack).

Not sure how/why the "Crapbag U." comment is constructive or adds to the thread though. You could have made a better point without that.

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
          Whoa. Can't you get into trouble for that?

That's only 60%. You've won 75% of yours in one decade.
          And no, that's irrelevant. Unless you add in ECAC titles, too of course.
          ahhhh, ok, so you got me on a percentage basis! ok, look at it this way, there have been how many NCAA championships awarded 1948- 2010 or 63? BU won 3 in 8 years in the 70's so that leaves 55 years and you won 2 out of those 55 years, we won 1 out of 53, not so much of a difference....... well, i guess the difference is 1 no matter how you slice it......question is, who gets their next one first?

Comment

Anyone care to offer any insight into the matchup at all or is this just going to be a mudslinging thread?

The mudslinging I've seen isn't even that clever...

Why can't we see that we all have much more in common than not????

Comment

Originally posted by Jacques Joubert View Post
              Who wouldn't rather lose in the begininng than the end of the season?
              Ummmm.... UNH fans?
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Anyone care to offer any insight into the matchup at all or is this just going to be a mudslinging thread?

that's the reason behind the mudslinging!

Comment

Originally posted by quiddlet View Post
                  With regards to AntiActionJoe I think you may have fallen into the
                  His username is a bit of a hint.
                  A hint at what? SteveF knows I am "yankeefat". I say listen to SteveF.

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                  y'all won 3 of your 5 in one decade too didn't ya? just sayin ................do HE Championships count? i believe the score is 9-7 or shouldn't that be brought up??
                  Yep, what's the point? I mentioned that teams have up an down years and decades. BU had a good decade but didn't do much in that department consistently afterward. Same will happen to BC. Woo, they've finally show they can be consistently good for a length of time. Big deal. I just don't see any reason to get excited about BC this year.

You can mention HE championships if you want. It's funnier to use against UNH but I guess it works here. But really all that matters is 5 > 4. Get back to us if that changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Slasher7 View Post
                    It'll be funny to see how Crapbag U. does against a legit team for a change. Tying Brown at home? LOL.

Where's your Beanpot?
                    this humors me, didn't you guys lose to vermont? suck it

Comment

Originally posted by AntiActionJoe View Post
                      A hint at what? SteveF knows I am "yankeefat". I say listen to SteveF.

Yep, what's the point? I mentioned that teams have up an down years and decades. BU had a good decade but didn't do much in that department consistently afterward. Same will happen to BC. Woo, they've finally show they can be consistently good for a length of time. Big deal. I just don't see any reason to get excited about BC this year.

You can mention HE championships if you want. It's funnier to use against UNH but I guess it works here. But really all that matters is 5 > 4. Get back to us if that changes.
                      yeah, i guess you're right ,there's nothing to be excited about BC's chances this year "same will happen to BC too" um, we were talking about past history and facts, not what your prognosis of what BC may be doing in years to come, that's just conjecture

Comment

Sure, I've seen BU three times (2 on NESN vs. UMass & UNH & 1 live vs. Maine). Like most, I think their record is inflated due to competition. Beat ND by 1 with their backup who is rocking worse than Bennett numbers and is 1-1-1 against the others in the Big 4. In the Maine game I thought they were outplayed but saved by Milan countless times (that was a great atmosphere btw).

BC has gotten off to their typical slow start due to line juggling/equal PT/injuries/not stepping up. Of course some good & bad has come of that.
                        Some goods:
                        The emergence of Paul Carey. Relegated to a scratch his FR year he brings a Gibbons-type physicality along with going 100% every shift. He has benefitted from playing on the 1st line with Atkinson & Gibbons.
                        The development of Hayes, Hayes & Kreider. Kreider got off to a slow start but this line once put together is something to watch, impossible to beat on the cycle. Of course Kevin Hayes' injury stopped this but Mullane filled in nicely.
                        Muse is in a playoff type zone and has saved this team countless times.

Some bads:
                        The main is transition D. The amount of breakdowns has been unreal whether they are from a man coming out of the box, ill-timed pinch, etc. The upside is they are still allowing the fewest goals in HE.
                        Milner hasn't regained form from last year.

All being said, I'd be disappointed with anything less than 3 points this weekend.

Comment

Big deal. I just don't see any reason to get excited about BC this year.
                          The good thing is nobody really cares if BC excites you this year nor will your level of excitement have any bearing on how they perform.

Comment

Thanks.

In regard to BU's schedule: UML and UMASS are poor this year, no question.

But Merrimack, Providence, UNH, Maine, Notre Dame, and Wisconsin are all solid to very good this year.

I think this is a pretty darn good BU team but their current weaknesses may be magnified against a team like BC.

What's encouraging from a BU point of view, is that Parker's teams usually start slow, "figure it out", and make a run in January and Feb.

If they can gel like that later and keep winning most of their games now, then they'll be A-OK.

Comment

But really all that matters is 5 > 4. Get back to us if that changes.
                              I have a real hard time getting excited about that 1949 banner and laugh at people that get jazzed up about championships won before they were born or were old enough to care. YAY, we're Michigan, we won a boatload of titles back in the 40s and 50s... YAY!!!! Who gives a frick.

Of course, BU does have fans around that witnessed all of their national titles and kudos to them. But if a young turd wants to talk about "5" like anything other than 2009 is meaningful, well that is just laughable.
                              Last edited by Nick Papagiorgio; 11-30-2010, 09:42 AM.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                                I specifically remember BC getting stomped by BU in the first meeting of the year between the two teams on a Sunday afternoon at Conte in the 1997-1998 season. I would think this would have been before BC beat #1 BU 3-2 during Christmas break on a Blake Bellefeuille goal with a few mins left after trailing 2-0 and calling a timeout before reeling off 3 straight goals, a game which I consider to be the turning point of the BC program that proved BC belonged and put the nation on notice. But definitely my freshman year BC played a Sunday afternoon game at Conte (I'm thinking November or December 1997).
                                1. Regarding the first meeting between BU - BC in the 1997-98 season, I wouldn't say BU "stomped" BC. It was a close game for most of the contest, BU gradually wore BC down, primarily because Chris Drury played for BU. The game was played on the first Sunday afternoon in December, IIRC.

2. Regarding the second meeting at Conte, yes BU took an early 2 - 0 lead and Clemmensen stopped Drury cold to prevent BU from taking a 3 - 0 lead. BC gradually BU down to win, signalling BC's ascendence and the depth of the talent in its underclassmen.
                                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Working...
                                X