Stafford Arena Idiocy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stafford Arena Idiocy

Well, in the Year of the Fan, when Emery is repeatedly quoted as wanting more noise from the fans, and last night when the students were home for Thanksgiving and we "townspeople" were rocking the arena- I was told by Security that I cannot ring my cowbell because it is a noisemaker.

Will they tell the student band members that they cannot blow their trumpets or beat their drums? Will they tell the team that the bench cannot beat the boards with their sticks to make noise?

I am a grey haired old lady fan whose voice is not terribly loud. I only ring the bell after goals and during introductions.

What is wrong with these idiots at the arena?

Re: Stafford Arena Idiocy

Originally posted by Laura View Post
    Well, in the Year of the Fan, when Emery is repeatedly quoted as wanting more noise from the fans, and last night when the students were home for Thanksgiving and we "townspeople" were rocking the arena- I was told by Security that I cannot ring my cowbell because it is a noisemaker.

Will they tell the student band members that they cannot blow their trumpets or beat their drums? Will they tell the team that the bench cannot beat the boards with their sticks to make noise?

I am a grey haired old lady fan whose voice is not terribly loud. I only ring the bell after goals and during introductions.

I swear Bruce was in heaven last night. He got security to yell at every noisemaker there, and the music was nothing but country music and 80's music (and not the good kind of 80's music), none of which stood a chance of getting anybody, player or fan, riled up and excited for an intense game of hockey. Granted, I like country music... but NOT during the game! Longneck Bottle 6 times during one game? Seriously?

This is not what Cardinal Hockey used to be about. But this is what Bruce Delventhal wants it to be about. A few people last night, including dome USCHO posters, developed a theory that Bruce was trying his hardest to make the hockey atmosphere so bad that Plattsburgh's Basketball team would pick up in popularity and PSU would become a Basketball School. Let's be honest, even in DIII Basketball and Football are the big money-makers.

Bruce claims that "the majority here doesn't want noisemakers". A few of us are really interested to just how invasive his telepathic powers are, since he clearly knows what 700 peolpe are thinking
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

Laura, do us a favor and go over and tell Ol' Brucey what you think of his "policy" on noisemakers..... if you don't know who he is I will be glad to point him out to you. stop by and see me on the rail today and we will talk.... I'll be wearing my Remenda jersey.
      Jim Reisdorf
      Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

In Oswego at the CC they have signs up saying that fans cannot bring in any "noisemakers" such as bells, horns etc... But they sometimes handout those plastic idiot sticks to bang together! What a joke. If you are a hockey fan you want NOISE!

Comment

Originally posted by skipperbob View Post
          In Oswego at the CC they have signs up saying that fans cannot bring in any "noisemakers" such as bells, horns etc... But they sometimes handout those plastic idiot sticks to bang together! What a joke. If you are a hockey fan you want NOISE!
          If I remember correctly, during the time I was at Oswego as a student I do not remember the students even really bringing in many of these "noisemakers." Granted, I feel that any addition to the atmosphere would be great but the fans in Oswego were always loud enough and in my opinion did not need the addition of noise makers.

The one game I was at in Plattsburgh for the SUNYAC Championship several years back it was the Oswego fans that were the loudest of the crowd during the overall entirety of the game, just in my opinion. I had always been a fan of standing up during these game (Romney) and as Oswego stood up, Plattsburgh fans remained seated. Instead of getting up decided to yell out "sit down." This from what I viewed as students because they were def not viewed as ticket holders.

Anyway, some people rather use the noisemakers and I don't think it should be a problem, and i don't know why it should be to the athletics department, especially when they want that "atmosphere." I would guess that the only reason why they are asking to not have those things is because of the fear that it is yet another object that could be used to be thrown on the ice in pure frustration.

Comment

In Ball parks they have alcohol free sections. Perhaps the powers that be could designate a "quiet" section where the artificial noisemakers would not be allowed.

Because I have old ears, I do not like air horns.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
              In Ball parks they have alcohol free sections. Perhaps the powers that be could designate a "quiet" section where the artificial noisemakers would not be allowed.

Because I have old ears, I do not like air horns.
              We're not talking about air horns. Those I agree are annoying and can be dangerous. We already tried that with Brucey. We were allowed for YEARS to do it with no problems till he got here. Our crowd was already on the decline since the Zoo Crew left...now, especially with no students, it was pathetic. Do you need noisemakers? No, but it does make for an interesting and unique atmosphere. Where I have a problem is with Brucey lying out his teeth saying the "majority" of fans don't want them. Yea...that's why the whole section was booing the security when they took them away...
              Remy Babineaux
              remyb616@gmail.com
              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

i just sent Bruce an email... if anybody wants to his e-mail is, delvenbw@plattsburgh.edu

here is what i said.

Mr. Delventhal,

I see this year Plattsburgh State and your staff have put together a great addition to Plattsburgh State Hockey by putting together a pep band, however the past couple of years noise makers of any sort are not permitted into the building.Wouldn't a pep band be considered a noisemaker? I think noise that does not interfere with the play of the game is a huge boost to team success and it gets the fans more involved. My family has purchased season tickets for 5 years now, and I have been watching Plattsburgh State hockey for 20 years. The feelings and emoitions that use to be involved in the community and players seems to be fading away. Why not allow a horn be blown when the team comes out? Why not let fans of all ages ring a cow bell and get the rest of the crowd chanting "lets go plattsburgh"? If i wanted to sit and watch a show or game quietly i should have purchased tickets to an Opera. This e-mail is on behalf of my family and fans who sit around me who support noise makers.

Sincerely,
                Plattsburgh State Hockey

Comment

All I can say is good luck. We've already tried and he doesn't want to listen. He's just a suit and tie walking the PC line. Same thing with Emery, instead of fighting for us they just want to make it harder and come up with more excuses. Maybe this year someone can take a vote...hand out slips at the game and have them dropped off in the lobby at the end of the game just to prove who the majority is.
                  Remy Babineaux
                  remyb616@gmail.com
                  D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                    All I can say is good luck. We've already tried and he doesn't want to listen. He's just a suit and tie walking the PC line. Same thing with Emery, instead of fighting for us they just want to make it harder and come up with more excuses. Maybe this year someone can take a vote...hand out slips at the game and have them dropped off in the lobby at the end of the game just to prove who the majority is.
                    Bruce isn't even a "suit and tie"....he's a pair of jeans and a nasty flannel shirt with a ball cap..... you would think the AD of a major College would atleast dress appropriately....hell, our goal judges are more presentable than he is.
                    Jim Reisdorf
                    Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

NCAA doesn't want noisemakers in the arenas. Our radio station wanted to do a promo where we gave away like the plastic duck call things except make them Falcon Screeches and got that shot down.
                      Voice of UWRF Athletics 2007-
                      Voice of River Falls High School Athletics 2007-
                      Green Bay Bullfrogs Baseball-2010
                      Eau Claire Express Baseball-2011

Comment

Originally posted by FALCONSANNOUNCER View Post
                        NCAA doesn't want noisemakers in the arenas. Our radio station wanted to do a promo where we gave away like the plastic duck call things except make them Falcon Screeches and got that shot down.
                        The NCAA hasn't "banned" artificial noisemakers, but this problem is less about Bruce than what people aren't getting. The noisemakers, as per NCAA rule, are prohibited from being used during gameplay. So when one person uses it during gameplay, that ruins it for everyone else that would use them responsibly...take it up with them, not Bruce.

Comment

The patrons want to enjoy their strawberries and cream in peace.
                          Twitter: DanMountSports
                          2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by nyi19 View Post
                            The NCAA hasn't "banned" artificial noisemakers, but this problem is less about Bruce than what people aren't getting. The noisemakers, as per NCAA rule, are prohibited from being used during gameplay. So when one person uses it during gameplay, that ruins it for everyone else that would use them responsibly...take it up with them, not Bruce.
                            Nobody has....that's the point. And no, its not "them" its Bruce...period. Ever since he arrived at Plattsburgh its been downhill and nothing but problems. There is a reason he's been run out of several other places.
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

And the Elmira fans complained about their AD"......It's not that bad at the Thunder Domes. Just keep doing what you've been doing, maybe they'll give up.
                              Elmira College (2006 ECAC-W Champions. 2006,2008 Final Four Semi-Finalist)
                              Guelph Storm (2004 OHL Champions)
                              Die Hard Leafs Fan (Still Waiting )

http://community.webshots.com/user/jpconnor55

Comment

Working...
                              X