Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #18 Merrimack Visits #6 UNH

Originally posted by Clark-Hislop-Cox View Post
    One suggestion for one over-the-top fan who sat in Section 106, between the blue line and goal line, right on the glass - learn a little respect. Two of her displays were just obnoxious:
    - hiking her Merrimack home jersey up a bit and pressing her chest against the glass (presumably so the Merrimack players on the ice could see, whatever) and
    - standing in a Jesus on the Cross pose while pressing her jersey against the glass (a little creepy).
    And then there was the big no-no when one visits an opponents' rink - repeatedly banging both her hands (equipped with rings) against the glass.
    It's fine and appropriate to cheer loudly for one's team when they play in an opponent's arena but this lady crossed the line.
    Couldn't agree more; she was sitting directly across the ice from me. When she stood up when they scored, all four of us were like, "wow, that's ballsy, considering you're sitting in a section of UNH fans. Have a little class, maybe?" Fortunately, I've been to Lawler enough to know that this is NOT indicitive of Warrior fans.

My suggestion to her: If you're going to act like that, at least sit with your own fans. Now, I'm sure she'd respond with, "I paid for these sits, and I'll sit here if I want," and that's great -- but you can't have your cake and eat it too. You have to temper your behavior when you're in somebody else's barn, but you can get away with a bit more volume and displaying yourself, if surrounded by sympathetic fans (rather than lots of opposing fans).
    I haven't been on here in a year...
    Now I'm a dad. Holy crap.

Comment

Originally posted by thecomicbookguy View Post
      I believe this is also known as the "Paul Kariya Special".
      And as I remember, BU as well as UNH used to do this home run-pass kind of thing waaaayyyyyy back when (I'm thinking mid-'70's, and perhaps more recently as well.) I never had a problem with it -- it led to some interesting breakaways.
      We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
      ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
      --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Oh, and by the way MC fans, I send hearty congratulations for having success thus far (the national ranking alone is proof.) Your team is causing shivers across Hockey East (and probably beyond.) It seems likely you'll make it to the HE 1/4's, maybe as a #5 seed, and depending upon the match-up (please please, please, not UNH), you could be playing in the Garden. at which point all bets are off. I think it's fair to say that, were you to make it to the HE championship game, there would be a lot of vocal support, as just about everybody (save your opponents' fans) would be cheering you on.
        We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
        ---Blaise Pascal

When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.
        --Richard Dawkins

UNH Wildcats: Winners, 20XX NCAA Men's Hockey National Championship

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
          Fortunately, I've been to Lawler enough to know that this is NOT indicitive of Warrior fans.
          Yeah, they usually just wave their middle fingers around mocking the goal count or write obscene messages on paper plates. Never had any problems with anyone but the student aged fans at Lawler, in the past the few who have shown up have felt that they had to over-compensate.

p.s. Is it true that the ceiling inside Lawler is made of Jiffy Pop?
          Last edited by ClOuD 9; 11-29-2010, 10:43 AM.
          "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
          Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
          NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
          EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
          AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
          1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by unhpuckfan2001 View Post
            Couldn't agree more; she was sitting directly across the ice from me. When she stood up when they scored, all four of us were like, "wow, that's ballsy, considering you're sitting in a section of UNH fans. Have a little class, maybe?" Fortunately, I've been to Lawler enough to know that this is NOT indicitive of Warrior fans.

My suggestion to her: If you're going to act like that, at least sit with your own fans. Now, I'm sure she'd respond with, "I paid for these sits, and I'll sit here if I want," and that's great -- but you can't have your cake and eat it too. You have to temper your behavior when you're in somebody else's barn, but you can get away with a bit more volume and displaying yourself, if surrounded by sympathetic fans (rather than lots of opposing fans).
            I was sitting behind her in the 5th row. While I was tempted to throw an M&M at her during her 4th "Jesus on the Cross" pose, I refrained. My guess is she had 1 too many Harvey Wallbangers at Libby's before the game.

Comment

lost any respect I might have had for MC Student fans last season when they were all singing Milley Cirus in unison during intermisison....
              eesh

Comment

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
                It's called stretching.
                Or cherry-picking, but let's not split hairs.

Originally posted by goblue View Post
                And as I remember, BU as well as UNH used to do this home run-pass kind of thing waaaayyyyyy back when (I'm thinking mid-'70's, and perhaps more recently as well.) I never had a problem with it -- it led to some interesting breakaways.
                I only have problems with it in two scenarios: 1) when it works against my team, and 2) when my team tries it, and gives up a goal because they're playing 5x4 in the defensive zone. Other than that, cherry pick to your heart's delight.
                Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.
                -Fred Shero

Comment

Originally posted by Salvo1017 View Post
                  It's called stretching.....
                  Nah, everyone who grew up playing hockey in Greater Boston knows it's call a "hanga"
                  Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                    Nah, everyone who grew up playing hockey in Greater Boston knows it's call a "hanga"
                    This. My whole life, it was "Keep an eye on the hangah."
                    Places I've seen a college hockey game: Agganis Arena, Alfond Arena, Bright Center, Consol Energy Center, Conte Forum, DCU Center, Fenway Park, Gutterson Fieldhouse, Houston Field House, Lawler Arena, Madison Square Garden, Matthews Arena, Mullins Center, Schneider Arena, Scottrade Center, Sears Centre, Tampa Bay Times Forum, TD Bank Sports Center, TD Garden, Tsongas Center, Tully Forum, Verizon Center, Verizon Wireless Arena, Walter Brown Arena, Wells Fargo Center, Whittemore Center

Comment

Originally posted by GoUNH View Post
                      I was sitting behind her in the 5th row. While I was tempted to throw an M&M at her during her 4th "Jesus on the Cross" pose, I refrained. My guess is she had 1 too many Harvey Wallbangers at Libby's before the game.
                      I was about 7 rows up from her. She didn't bother me much (I never blame visiting fans for supporting their team) however her antics were good for a few laughs. The best part was her walk of shame up to the concourse at the end of the game.
                      GO BLUE!

Comment

Originally posted by ClOuD 9 View Post
                        Yeah, they usually just wave their middle fingers around mocking the goal count or write obscene messages on paper plates. Never had any problems with anyone but the student aged fans at Lawler, in the past the few who have shown up have felt that they had to over-compensate.

p.s. Is it true that the ceiling inside Lawler is made of Jiffy Pop?
                        haha, I was browsing through archives and found these...
                        *****http://www.joshgibney.com/classymc.jpg***********http://www.joshgibney.com/mcfan2.jpg******

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                          *****http://www.joshgibney.com/classymc.jpg***********http://www.joshgibney.com/mcfan2.jpg******
                          Wonder if those guys ended up wearing a cap and gown....or, an orange jumpsuit.
                          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Sigh, is there any fan base with imagination? The whole flipping the bird thing is lower than lame (and singing along to Miley Cyrus? Ugh, I may have to rescind my annual contribution!)
                            Imagination - we had a player named Doug Nute. We formed a fan group called "Nute's Mutes". Whenever he did something, we'd cheer wildly without making a sound. That's thinking out of the box.
                            Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
                              Imagination - we had a player named Doug Nute. We formed a fan group called "Nute's Mutes". Whenever he did something, we'd cheer wildly without making a sound. That's thinking out of the box.
                              Now that's funny, and clever.
                              The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Gibber View Post
                                I was going to try and browse your site a bit to try and find them but never got around to it. Awesome.
                                "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
                                Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
                                NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
                                EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
                                AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
                                1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

Working...
                                X