Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver Cup: Denver, Air Force, Lake Superior State & Clarkson, Welcome to Boonetown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denver Cup: Denver, Air Force, Lake Superior State & Clarkson, Welcome to Boonetown

This is the first year that the Denver Cup is being held on Thanksgiving weekend. Hopefully the DU boys are ready for two big OOC games.

Now in its 19th year, the Denver Cup Classic continues its tradition as one of the nation’s finest college hockey showcases. Magness Arena hosts the two-day showcase tournament on Nov. 26-27, 2010 after being held between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day since 1992. The second annual showcase format features Air Force (Atlantic Hockey), Clarkson (ECAC), Lake Superior State (CCHA) and 14-time champion and host Denver.

2010-11 DENVER CUP CLASSIC SCHEDULE
    Friday, Nov. 26 at Magness Arena
    Air Force vs. Clarkson - 4:37 p.m.
    Denver vs. Lake Superior State - 7:37 p.m.

Saturday, Nov. 27 at Magness Arena
    Clarkson vs. Lake Superior State - 4:07 p.m.
    Denver vs. Air Force - 7:07 p.m.
    TV this weekend

Friday - LSSU @ DU FSN Rocky Mountain Live at 7:35 PM MTand tape delayed on FCS Pacific at 12AM MT Saturday

Saturday - AFA @ DU No TV, webcast on Pioneer Vision at 7PM MT

No TV for AFA & Clarkson on Friday or LSSU & Clarkson on Saturday.

Most DU fans are very familiar with Air Force but don't know a lot about LSSU or Clarkson. Tell us about yourselves.
    Last edited by du78; 11-23-2010, 10:09 AM.
    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Re: Denver Cup: Denver, Air Force, Lake Superior State & Clarkson, Welcome to Booneto

Hope to see the Denver Cup at DU for the 15th time!
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Re: Denver Cup: Denver, Air Force, Lake Superior State & Clarkson, Welcome to Booneto

Clarkson has been better than I expected so far this year; after splitting in Omaha the first weekend (lost to UNO 8-0, beat SCSU 6-2) they've done pretty well. When our goalie, Karpowich, has played well, we've won almost all of them; but our losses have been when he's played badly (the 8-0 noted above, 6-1 to Cornell, 7-1 to Dartmouth, 3-0 to BGSU).

I'd like to think we can win Friday, and at least play well Saturday. We haven't been out West since losing 2 to CC in March of 2008, so I suspect we'll tire Saturday.
      Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
      Clarkson 1990

Comment

LSSU has been very inconsistent. They tend to play worse on Friday and better on Saturday, although it was the reverse of that on one occasion. They've probably only played one weekend so far where they played pretty well both nights.

Comment

Clarkson is headed west.
          http://www.clarksonathletics.com/new...123104524.aspx
          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            LSSU has been very inconsistent. They tend to play worse on Friday and better on Saturday, although it was the reverse of that on one occasion. They've probably only played one weekend so far where they played pretty well both nights.
            Thats how I would put it from what little I know. I will say I do believe if the A team shows up they could compete with almost any team in the country. Will they win? Who knows? But I do think they have the right pieces there to be a talented team. Unfortunately as Bill mentioned those pieces fall into the wrong place more often than the right. Not many people would have predicted them to shut out Ferris for a whole weekend (and then lay a huge turd the next Friday at Michigan) but they did. And they did respond well on Saturday at Michigan and kept it tighter. Im betting DU wins their game against the Lakers but it would be nice if it was a least close. I think the Lakers can hang with any of the others and pull out a win on Saturday.

Comment

DU Game Notes for Denver Cup

LSSU Game Notes

Air Force Game Notes

Clarkson Game Notes

From DU Game Notes

WHO'S HOT?

Drew Shore (8-8=16) continues to star for the Pioneers this season. Shore leads the WCHA in league scoring with 13 points (5g, 8a) and is tied for seventh in WCHA overall scoring. Shore enjoyed a career-best, five-game point streak and four-game goal streak this season. He brings a two-game point streak into Denver Cup action and has points in seven of his last eight games.

Jason Zucker (9-4=13) is tied for first in rookie league scoring and is tied for second overall with 12 points (9g, 3a) in 10 league games. Zucker is tied for first in league goal scoring with nine. He brings a three-game point streak into Denver Cup action and has points in seven of his last eight games.

David Makowski (3-8=11), who is the two-time reigning WCHA Rookie of the Week, is enjoying a four-game point streak.

Sam Brittain (7-3-2, 1.95 GAA, .934 Sv%) has started 11 straight games in net. Brittain was named the Red Baron WCHA Rookie of the Week on Oct. 26 and Defensive Player of the Week on Nov. 2 and Nov. 23. Brittain leads the WCHA in save percentage and ranks second in goals against average for league games and all games.

INJURY REPORT
              John Lee is doubtful after missing the last three games with a broken left hand. Dustin Jackson (mononucleosis) returned the the lineup last weekend after missing the last season with a broken leg and the first 12 games this season with mononucleosis.
              Not on the DU injury report is that Jesse Martin is out for the season and is recovering nicely from his broken neck.
              Last edited by du78; 11-24-2010, 06:51 PM.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                DU Game Notes for Denver Cup

LSSU Game Notes

Air Force Game Notes

Clarkson Game Notes

From DU Game Notes

Not on the DU injury report is that Jesse Martin is out for the season and is recovering nicely from his broken neck.
                Did anyone else notice the DU Notes no longer has a pronouncing "Gazetteer:. Guess without Rakshani, Ruegsegger, Wiercioch, and Cheverie thought it wasn't necessary. But someone should tell Rycroft, it isn't Me ANN ee. ;-)
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                  But someone should tell Rycroft, it isn't Me ANN ee. ;-)
                  That's the Canadian pronunciation. Most Americans think Canadians say "Aboot" and "eh" and the rest is just like Americans. Au contraire.

Canadians have a number of different pronunciations.

Organization is pronounced by Americans as spelled. Canadians say Organ-nye-zation.
                  "Possta" is American for Pasta. Canadians say "Pass-ta" ("My-ann-ee")
                  Mozz-da is America for Mazda. Canadians say Mazz-da.
                  Sellika is American for Celica. Canadians say "Sell-ee-ka"
                  "Eggenst" is American for Against. Canadians say "Egg-ain-st"
                  Prah-sess is American for process. Canadians say "pro-sess"

There are many more, but you have to live there for a while to pick up on them...

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                    That's the Canadian pronunciation. Most Americans think Canadians say "Aboot" and "eh" and the rest is just like Americans. Au contraire.

Canadians have a number of different pronunciations.

Organization is pronounced by Americans as spelled. Canadians say Organ-nye-zation.
                    "Possta" is American for Pasta. Canadians say "Pass-ta" ("My-ann-ee")
                    Mozz-da is America for Mazda. Canadians say Mazz-da.
                    Sellika is American for Celica. Canadians say "Sell-ee-ka"
                    "Eggenst" is American for Against. Canadians say "Egg-ain-st"
                    Prah-sess is American for process. Canadians say "pro-sess"

There are many more, but you have to live there for a while to pick up on them...
                    How do they pronounce poutine?
                    Originally posted by vizoroo
                    Thought you had picked the avatar so we could id you. Guess he fooled me too.
                    Originally posted by duper
                    I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

I was well over the borderline. I figured I would meet you on your turf.
                    Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.
                    Originally posted by dggoddard
                    Finally you made me laugh.

There may be hope for you yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
                      How do they pronounce poutine?
                      Well-played, Mr. Mexico.

Ah, poutine. Or Poo-teen, as pronounced...

You would think we Americans would have embraced poutine, seeing as it (in it's purest form) combines three artery-clogging foods we Yanks tend to love - French Fries, Cheese Curds and Brown Gravy. And yet Poutine remains mostly a Quebec fetish food, rarely consumed outside La Belle Province. Most non-Quebecker Canadians steer clear of it, pushing it aside a Francophone curiosity, while they douse their own french fries with vinegar and call it a day. Americans, perhaps more curious, foolhardy or naive, tend to consume poutine as part of the obligatory Montreal road trip which usually includes a Canadiens game, a smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz' deli, the hockey-player-rite-of-passage strip clubs on St. Catherine, and the late-night poutine run to help absorb all that Molson Canadian consumed at the other stops on the tour.

Whatever we make of it, poutine is one of those things that most hockey fans will consume at least once in Quebec to say they tried it. My experience is that most of them rarely will eat it again...

Comment

Well-played, Mr. Mexico.

Ah, poutine. Or Poo-teen, as pronounced...

You would think we Americans would have embraced poutine, seeing as it (in it's purest form) combines three artery-clogging foods we Yanks tend to love - French Fries, Cheese Curds and Brown Gravy. And yet Poutine remains mostly a Quebec fetish food, rarely consumed outside La Belle Province. Most non-Quebecker Canadians steer clear of it, pushing it aside a Francophone curiosity, while they douse their own french fries with vinegar and call it a day. Americans, perhaps more curious, foolhardy or naive, tend to consume poutine as part of the obligatory Montreal road trip which usually includes a Canadiens game, a smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz' deli, the hockey-player-rite-of-passage strip clubs on St. Catherine, and the late-night poutine run to help absorb all that Molson Canadian consumed at the other stops on the tour.

Whatever we make of it, poutine is one of those things that most hockey fans will consume at least once in Quebec to say they tried it. My experience is that most of them rarely will eat it again...
                        Well Swami,

My mom is Canadian. I think you are wrong sir. Mean girls all over the whole country consume poutine.

FYI – milk in bags is only in eastern Canada.

So dude, feel free to disagree… But, I’m like half Canadian and have no idea what I’m talking about.

Also – DU SUCKS!!!
                        I obviously missed it, but it sounds like some idiot from CC took trolling to a whole new, totally inappropriate level.

Every time you post like an *******, I want to quote the idiotic comment you made where you claim not to be a troll. You're such a dick.

Comment

Originally posted by ronmexico View Post
                          Well Swami,

My mom is Canadian. I think you are wrong sir. Mean girls all over the whole country consume poutine.

FYI – milk in bags is only in eastern Canada.

So dude, feel free to disagree… But, I’m like half Canadian and have no idea what I’m talking about.

Also – DU SUCKS!!!
                          While you are half-Canadian by parenthood, I am half-Canadian by choice. I am a dual-citizen of the US and Canada, and I am married to a Canadian (a poutine-hating nice girl). I lived seven happy adult years in Canada and have made many trips there both before and since my residency, so I do have a good idea of what I am talking about...

As for the "DU Sucks" claim, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I would only counter with the Pioneers' history of achievement as an elite Division I hockey program, which surpasses the hockey achievements of our rival to the South on almost every objective measure, current or historical. I am happy to go into detail on this if you'd like to have a civil conversation, but if you'd rather just write "DU Sucks", perhaps my energies are best spent on other topics. Your choice.

Comment

IT IS GAME DAY

GO DU!!!!!

*****http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__Rt973W_blQ/TKb32MZE3JI/AAAAAAAAJa8/oOQr58maYiA/s1600/ImageyoxIi9p42FITKnVcJMrduQ%3D%3D%5B1%5D.jpg******

Comment

While you are half-Canadian by parenthood, I am half-Canadian by choice. I am a dual-citizen of the US and Canada, and I am married to a Canadian (a poutine-hating nice girl). I lived seven happy adult years in Canada and have made many trips there both before and since my residency, so I do have a good idea of what I am talking about...

As for the "DU Sucks" claim, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I would only counter with the Pioneers' history of achievement as an elite Division I hockey program, which surpasses the hockey achievements of our rival to the South on almost every objective measure, current or historical. I am happy to go into detail on this if you'd like to have a civil conversation, but if you'd rather just write "DU Sucks", perhaps my energies are best spent on other topics. Your choice.
                              I’m glad you found a nice Canadian girl. They seem to be few and far between.

As far as the DU sucks comment – it’s sort of an impulse that I don’t seem to be able to control. It’s like when my mom says “THE LEAFS SUCK.” Oh… wait… they do suck… No hard feelings?

Comment

Working...
                              X