• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA Thread III

Time for the 3rd edition.
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: WCHA Thread III

Here are the weekend wraps from the WCHA website.

http://www.wcha.com/women/index.php

Comment

The latest WCHA POTW recognitions:

http://www.wcha.com/women/presarch/201011/nov24wpw.php
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Bemidji State @ Ohio State

Minnesota-Duluth @ Wisconsin

Harvard @ Minnesota

Minnesota State @ Wayne State

Can the Beavers sweep and vault upward in the standings? Can the Buckeyes sweep and create a bigger log jam?

Two very interesting conference series this weekend.

How 'bout a split in Madison?
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          Can the Beavers sweep and vault upward in the standings? Can the Buckeyes sweep and create a bigger log jam?
          I think most would agree that the Beavers have exceeded expectations so far, but with OSU having their full team in uniform (including No. 5) I look for the Buckeyes to rebound from their terrible loss to UMD on Saturday and take both games at home this weekend.

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
          How 'bout a split in Madison?
          This would be a pretty nice outcome if you're a Gopher (or Sioux) fan but even better would be a UMD sweep which would give the Badgers 3 losses along with the Bulldogs and the Sioux. But realistically I think you have to give a slight edge to Wisconsin (at home) in both games. So going into the weekend you would think that UMD would probably settle for a split, knowing that they have Wisconsin coming to Duluth for two games later on.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            I think most would agree that the Beavers have exceeded expectations so far, but with OSU having their full team in uniform (including No. 5) I look for the Buckeyes to rebound from their terrible loss to UMD on Saturday and take both games at home this weekend.
            I'm not sure that BSU is playing that much over their heads this year. Yes, OSU has an impact player of the highest order in Spooner, but IMO, so do the Beavers. Tomcikova produced a 38-save shutout in Columbus in her last game prior to the Olympics, at which point, Bemidji had a .500 conference mark. They went 2-5-1 while she was gone, similar to the slump that the Gophs went through. In my mind, these games are totally up for grabs.

This would be a pretty nice outcome if you're a Gopher (or Sioux) fan but even better would be a UMD sweep which would give the Badgers 3 losses along with the Bulldogs and the Sioux.
            I don't like Minnesota's chances of contending for first place at this point -- 5 conference losses already is a lot. So the Gophers may be better served by Bulldog losses, rather than Badger defeats.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
              So the Gophers may be better served by Bulldog losses, rather than Badger defeats.
              Bite your tongue.

Comment

I'm not sure that BSU is playing that much over their heads this year. Yes, OSU has an impact player of the highest order in Spooner, but IMO, so do the Beavers. Tomcikova produced a 38-save shutout in Columbus in her last game prior to the Olympics, at which point, Bemidji had a .500 conference mark. They went 2-5-1 while she was gone, similar to the slump that the Gophs went through. In my mind, these games are totally up for grabs.
                I was thinking back to the pre-season predictions. Most of us thought OSU would finish a strong 4th by season's end. And conversely who would have predicted that by Thanksgiving BSU would have wins over Mercyhurst, UMD and North Dakota? I do agree the games are up for grabs but I just have a hunch that OSU will start playing more like the team we thought they'd be. If they want to climb out of 7th place and overtake the Beavers, this is a very important series for them.

I don't like Minnesota's chances of contending for first place at this point -- 5 conference losses already is a lot. So the Gophers may be better served by Bulldog losses, rather than Badger defeats.
                Yeah I thought about this too but then decided that it's too early to give up hope of winning the conference. If the Gophers ever get (and remain) healthy and get on the roll they're capable of I believe they can climb back and contend for first at the end. But they will need some help (especially involving games vs. Wisconsin) so I thought a good first step would be for Bucky to lose two this weekend! (even though I don't like being in the position of having to root for UMD OR Wisconsin for that matter!)

Comment

I was thinking back to the pre-season predictions. Most of us thought OSU would finish a strong 4th by season's end. And conversely who would have predicted that by Thanksgiving BSU would have wins over Mercyhurst, UMD and North Dakota? I do agree the games are up for grabs but I just have a hunch that OSU will start playing more like the team we thought they'd be. If they want to climb out of 7th place and overtake the Beavers, this is a very important series for them.
                  OSU is the team we thought they would be, bottom third finish in the WCHA is about right. Why would you think they would finish any higher? Win one, lose two...

Yeah I thought about this too but then decided that it's too early to give up hope of winning the conference. If the Gophers ever get (and remain) healthy and get on the roll they're capable of I believe they can climb back and contend for first at the end. But they will need some help (especially involving games vs. Wisconsin) so I thought a good first step would be for Bucky to lose two this weekend! (even though I don't like being in the position of having to root for UMD OR Wisconsin for that matter!)

Comment

(even though I don't like being in the position of having to root for UMD OR Wisconsin for that matter!)
                    Just take the "glass half full/half empty" approach. Rather than rooting for one of those two, consider yourself just rooting against the other. It solves a lot of conundrums.
                    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Any word on what may have happened to Minnesota State's Danielle Butters? According to the box score from their game against Wayne State, Butters entered at the start of the second period in relief of Alli Altmann (after Wayne State scored 3 first-period goals). Wayne State scored on Butters at the 3:30 mark of the second period, but Butters stayed in for another 1:17 after the goal -- at which time Altmann came back into the game.

Altmann then played the remainder, yielding two more goals for a 6-0 Wayne State win.
                      Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                      Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                      Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Final From Friday, November 26th
                        Ohio State 2
                        Bemidji State 2
                        (Buckeyes Win Shootout 1-0)

Both these teams have firepower, and it was certainly on display last night. But the goalies were even better. When irresistible forces meet immovable objects, the likely result is just a little give each way. Hence the 2-2 tie in regulation.

This was a very entertaining, intensely played game. The number of players recognized is a bit high. But I just couldn't bear to cut it down!

Three Stars of the Game: Decidedly Unofficial and Just For Fun

Buckeyes Honorable Mention: The Starting Line-Up
                        You spend most of the night against the Cody/Lundquist/Erickson line. And yet the starting forwards -- Semenza/McIntosh/Langan -- are all +2 on the evening. For the D, Becky Allis buries a strong shot from the top of the circle. You've played yourselves a fine game.

Beavers Honorable Mention: Zuzana Tomcikova
                        It wasn't meant to be for Zuzana last night. But Tomcikova stopped numerous high quality chances, making 35 save in all. She was a save away from being the game's #1 Star.

#3 Star: Allie Duellman, Bemidji State
                        For half a game it looked like Allie's booming slap shot was going to be the GWG. That didn't pan out, but it takes nothing away from Duellman's first goal as a Beaver. It was a beauty. D partner Kim Lieder started the play, and wing Annie Bauerfield got her second assist of the night on the feed to the point.

Note that Duellman and Lieder are the 3rd D Pair. This has got be the deepest team Bemidji has ever brought to Columbus.

#2 Star: Natalie Spooner, Ohio State
                        Natalie scored the only goal of the shootout, and it was one for the ages. A couple of dekes, then a perfectly placed five hole shot won the game. Do that to a world-class goalie, and you've earned yourself a star.

#1 Star: Lisa Steffes, Ohio State
                        OK, she had a little help from the metal. Erin Cody is probably still scratching her head over her second period shot that slammed into the upper left hand corner of the cage. And Emily Erickson's shootout attempt hit both posts, yet stayed out of the net. But Lisa was brilliant, stopping shots of every make and description, including breakaways. Make 33 saves and outduel Tomcikova in a tight game, and top honors are well deserved.

Next Up: Buckeyes/Beavers rematch at 7:07 PM tonight. To gear up for the Hockey, check out the American Rules Football game this afternoon at Ohio Stadium. Kickoff is at 12:00 Noon.

Footnote: Very busy weekend here in Columbus. I may not post the next 3 Stars List 'til Monday.
                        Last edited by pgb-ohio; 11-29-2010, 12:33 PM. Reason: Correct Steffes' Save Total

Comment

Pgb-ohio, love the reports, and also the little plug about the "American rules football game" earlier today. The Buckeyes finished the job earlier tonight and got the sweep. Great weekend for the girls as they needed the six points. I will be anxiously awaiting your report on tonight's contest! We are in Wooster this weekend with family and were unable to make it down to either game. And wouldn't you know it, the Wooster Oilers were on the road this weekend, so no hockey fix for me this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                            Pgb-ohio, love the reports, and also the little plug about the "American rules football game" earlier today.
                            Happily the Buckeyes ruled, at both the stadium and the Ice Rink!

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                              Happily the Buckeyes ruled, at both the stadium and the Ice Rink!
                              Tough weekend for Michigan as the Gophers' mens hockey team also ruled, beating the Wolverines yesterday by a 3-1 score. And perhaps even more of a surprise was the Gophers' football team (maybe not ruling but beating) Iowa in TCF Bank stadium, 27-24. And I would be remiss if I did not mention the Gophers volleyball team, who beat three time defending NCAA champion Penn State on Saturday and will host the first two rounds of the NCAA's this coming weekend.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...7PQLanchO7DiUr

Comment

Working...
                              X