Fire emery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire emery!

Sorry this is late, I had a busy night last night and wasn't even aware of the score of the game until today...

Alright, I'm not a dolt. I realize that I'm talking about the most successful coach in Plattsburgh State history, and one of the most successful coaches in the history of NCAA DIII Hockey. I also realize this is a bit clichéd, but here it goes...

This year's Plattburgh State Men's Ice Hockey team has a lot of good talent. A lot. This is essentially the same team that went to the Final Four last year. Is this the amazing Cardinal Team that fell short in 08-09? No. But this is still a talented hockey team, and should be getting the Ws. Losing to Oswego in a close game is absolutely understanding. Losing to an improved Geneseo in the opener is at least tolerable. But losing to Morrisville, and getting blown out by Buffalo State... ridiculous!

So, what's the problem? Clearly, if the talent is there, and the Ws are not appearing in the stats sheet, something is wrong. And I think that problem is coaching. Bob Emery has shown that he is a great coach, but clearly he is not the best coach for this particular group of student-athletes. Clearly they are in need of a much different style of coaching in order to be on the same page and work together effectively. Do I have a clue what they need in a coach? No. But I sure as heck know it ain't Bob Emery!

Okay, now that I've gotten that done, it's back to reality. I don't think, and I doubt there is anybody who thinks, that firing Bob Emery would be anything but a step backwards. I posted this because it's clear that many wanted to post it, but was unwilling. I greatly admire coach Emery. Honestly, I've never known another coach at Plattsburgh, because Emery's tenure has been longer than my own lifespan thus far, but I can look back at the team's history and see that Emery's arrival was a gift to the city of Plattsburgh that keeps giving, such as last year's fantastic final four run, and the year prior's team that ranks among the best ever with the 00/01 RIT Tigers and others.

That said, there is a problem here. We are 2-4-0, all in-conference, with losses to Geneseo, Oswego, Morrisville, and Buffalo State. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to Fredonia tonight as well. (Hell, it's not like I haven't got a Fredonia Forward and Goalie in my FHL lineup or anything).

The main problem has been on the defensive end. The goalies have been performing spectacularly, but the 5 guys in front of them fall apart on defense. Note that I am including all 5 guys in the defense, and looking at the defense as ANY time, in ANY zone, when the other team is in possession of the puck. What I saw against Oswego (the only game I have seen) was everybody knew where they were supposed to be positioned once the Lakers gained possession, but once they started moving around with the play, there was no communication and no cohesive plan (although I'm Emery had one, they just didn't execute it), and that lead to Boots and other getting free shots in rime scoring areas. Something has to be done. I'm sure Emery and his coaches are frantically working to find a Defensive plan that will work for these players, and we shall see how that turns out. But this is a problem

There is also a problem of goal-scoring. We are getting an average of 53.2 shots per game, but only an average of 4.0 goals per game. But I'm quite as concerned about this issue, since it is the same thing we saw last year. Clarke and Satim, and maybe this Jensen kid if things can start clicking, are the closest things we have to a true goal-scorer. And that's a bit of a stretch, to b honest. But a low-scoring team can be just as successful if there is a tight D to back it up. The problem is we don't have that...

On a more personal note, I'm both a Plattsburgh fan (2-4), and a New Jersey Devils fan (5-12-2). This season is a pretty horrible one so far. At least my Siena Saints are 8-4-1 and ranked #2

So... what say you on these problems in Plattsbugrh?
    Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 11-20-2010, 04:23 PM.
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Re: Fire emery!

While we're firing terrible coaches... Bill Beaney is 0-1. Is it too early to talk about firing him? (Of course not, its never too early...)

I was expecting tongue to be implanted firmly in cheek when I clicked this thread, but since you seem to be serious... Plattsburgh has about even odds of making the Frozen Four in any three year period, all because of Bob Emery, and you want to fire him because Plattsburgh lost a few games to start this season? That's shortsighted.

Who would you hire to replace him with who would do better?
    #OneKnight

Comment

This actually started later than what a number of us thought. The over/under was midnight.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
        Sorry this is late, I had a busy night last night and wasn't even aware of the score of the game until today...

Alright, I'm not a dolt. I realize that I'm talking about the most successful coach in Plattsburgh State history, and one of the most successful coaches in the history of NCAA DIII Hockey. I also realize this is a bit clichéd, but here it goes...

This year's Plattburgh State Men's Ice Hockey team has a lot of good talent. A lot. This is essentially the same team that went to the Final Four last year. Is this the amazing Cardinal Team that fell short in 08-09? No. But this is still a talented hockey team, and should be getting the Ws. Losing to Oswego in a close game is absolutely understanding. Losing to an improved Geneseo in the opener is at least tolerable. But losing to Morrisville, and getting blown out by Buffalo State... ridiculous!

So, what's the problem? Clearly, if the talent is there, and the Ws are not appearing in the stats sheet, something is wrong. And I think that problem is coaching. Bob Emery has shown that he is a great coach, but clearly he is not the best coach for this particular group of student-athletes. Clearly they are in need of a much different style of coaching in order to be on the same page and work together effectively. Do I have a clue what they need in a coach? No. But I sure as heck know it ain't Bob Emery!

Okay, now that I've gotten that done, it's back to reality. I don't think, and I doubt there is anybody who thinks, that firing Bob Emery would be anything but a step backwards. I posted this because it's clear that many wanted to post it, but was unwilling. I greatly admire coach Emery. Honestly, I've never known another coach at Plattsburgh, because Emery's tenure has been longer than my own lifespan thus far, but I can look back at the team's history and see that Emery's arrival was a gift to the city of Plattsburgh that keeps giving, such as last year's fantastic final four run, and the year prior's team that ranks among the best ever with the 00/01 RIT Tigers and others.

That said, there is a problem here. We are 2-4-0, all in-conference, with losses to Geneseo, Oswego, Morrisville, and Buffalo State. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to Fredonia tonight as well. (Hell, it's not like I haven't got a Fredonia Forward and Goalie in my FHL lineup or anything).

The main problem has been on the defensive end. The goalies have been performing spectacularly, but the 5 guys in front of them fall apart on defense. Note that I am including all 5 guys in the defense, and looking at the defense as ANY time, in ANY zone, when the other team is in possession of the puck. What I saw against Oswego (the only game I have seen) was everybody knew where they were supposed to be positioned once the Lakers gained possession, but once they started moving around with the play, there was no communication and no cohesive plan (although I'm Emery had one, they just didn't execute it), and that lead to Boots and other getting free shots in rime scoring areas. Something has to be done. I'm sure Emery and his coaches are frantically working to find a Defensive plan that will work for these players, and we shall see how that turns out. But this is a problem

There is also a problem of goal-scoring. We are getting an average of 53.2 shots per game, but only an average of 4.0 goals per game. But I'm quite as concerned about this issue, since it is the same thing we saw last year. Clarke and Satim, and maybe this Jensen kid if things can start clicking, are the closest things we have to a true goal-scorer. And that's a bit of a stretch, to b honest. But a low-scoring team can be just as successful if there is a tight D to back it up. The problem is we don't have that...

On a more personal note, I'm both a Plattsburgh fan (4-2), and a New Jersey Devils fan (5-12-2). This season is a pretty horrible one so far. At least my Siena Saints are 8-4-1 and ranked #2

This. Is. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
          While we're firing terrible coaches... Bill Beaney is 0-1. Is it too early to talk about firing him? (Of course not, its never too early...)

I was expecting tongue to be implanted firmly in cheek when I clicked this thread, but since you seem to be serious... Plattsburgh has about even odds of making the Frozen Four in any three year period, all because of Bob Emery, and you want to fire him because Plattsburgh lost a few games to start this season? That's shortsighted.

I can't speak for Nate, but I do beleive that he is completely joking.
          Jim Reisdorf
          Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

Beaney, of course. Midd could hire Emery. There's somebody out there who always is wanting to fire Beaney for not winning it all in the last few years...
            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by LoudHorns31 View Post
              I can't speak for Nate, but I do beleive that he is completely joking.
              What Jim said.

Yes, I am upset, sad, angry, the whole gamut of negative emotions about Plattsburgh's start to the season. But perhaps you missed the second half of my post

The main problem has been on the defensive end. The goalies have been performing spectacularly, but the 5 guys in front of them fall apart on defense. Note that I am including all 5 guys in the defense, and looking at the defense as ANY time, in ANY zone, when the other team is in possession of the puck. What I saw against Oswego (the only game I have seen) was everybody knew where they were supposed to be positioned once the Lakers gained possession, but once they started moving around with the play, there was no communication and no cohesive plan (although I'm sure Emery had one, they just didn't execute it), and that lead to Boots and other getting free shots in rime scoring areas. Something has to be done. I'm sure Emery and his coaches are frantically working to find a Defensive plan that will work for these players, and we shall see how that turns out. But this is a problem

On a more personal note, I'm both a Plattsburgh fan (4-2), and a New Jersey Devils fan (5-12-2). This season is a pretty horrible one so far. At least my Siena Saints are 8-4-1 and ranked #2

When I wrote this, the first half of the post was quite honestly just venting frustration through what was intended to be a somewhat comical (to those who realize that I would never be serious about this) rant. The second half was just a recap of how I view Plattsburgh's current problems, and to open discussion on where we go from here. But then maybe this is my fault, since I failed to end the first section with ""

Besides, it seemed to me like it was Emery's turn for a "Fire (coach's name)!" thread

Now that that's been cleared up, have you any comments on the Cards' current dilemma and what needs to be done to improve upon it?
              Last edited by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh; 11-20-2010, 01:24 PM.
              Plattsburgh CARDINALS
              SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23

Comment

They really are averaging 53 shots a game? I hope not! And I wish they were 4-2 :-D

I don't have an answer for their current issues. It's weird because this is pretty much the same team as last year. I'm pretty sure losing Farrow (who was nearly invisible last year) Willock and Breslin cannot be the reason why this team is underperforming. Last night, Ducky questioned out loud whether this team overachieved last year. I don't think so. They have a lot of talent, and they just can't seem to score the puck and play strong defense. They take many more shots than their opponents (with the exception of Oswego), and control play most of the time. All Emery can do is continue to attempt to prepare his team for the next game and keep going. All is not lost. Remember, 4 seasons ago, Plattsburgh started the season 1-3-1 in the SUNYAC conference (losses to Fredonia, Buff State and Geneseo and a tie to Brockport) and came pretty close to winning the SUNYAC championship (ran into a hot goaltender, Laker fans know Amborski very well).

Comment

Originally posted by sticksnstones View Post
                  They really are averaging 53 shots a game?
                  Forgive me, I was trusting USCHO's team stats page, which says that we have 319 shots (53.2 avg). Adding up the box scores on collegehockeystats.net, the actual total is 255, or an average of 42.5 shots per game. Yet another failure by USCHO.

And I wish they were 4-2 :-D
                  Whoops. Fixing that now.

Oh, and I do too!

I don't have an answer for their current issues. It's weird because this is pretty much the same team as last year. I'm pretty sure losing Farrow (who was nearly invisible last year) Willock and Breslin cannot be the reason why this team is underperforming. Last night, Ducky questioned out loud whether this team overachieved last year. I don't think so. They have a lot of talent, and they just can't seem to score the puck and play strong defense. They take many more shots than their opponents (with the exception of Oswego), and control play most of the time. All Emery can do is continue to attempt to prepare his team for the next game and keep going. All is not lost. Remember, 4 seasons ago, Plattsburgh started the season 1-3-1 in the SUNYAC conference (losses to Fredonia, Buff State and Geneseo and a tie to Brockport) and came pretty close to winning the SUNYAC championship (ran into a hot goaltender, Laker fans know Amborski very well).
                  Very well said.
                  Plattsburgh CARDINALS

Comment

I remember the Fire Gosek thread from years back too. Its frustrating to be knocked around when you're used to being on top. I think the Cards will turn it around. I gotta tell ya, here in Oswego, there are mixed emotions about the Cards. Mostly the feeling is happiness. But those of us that have been a fan of the Lakers for years have different thoughts. Take my thoughts for example. I'm disappointed in the Cards. I would much rather have the Cards be in second place then towards the back. You are all on crack if you think the Cards will finish out of the playoffs. So what if the Cards finish 4th-6th? Then the Lakers might have to face the Cards before the finals, and that is not good. I am a Red Sox fan, so I wait for the other shoe to drop. Cards might finally play to their potential and put an end to the Lakers run. I would much rather wait as long as possible to face them. I hope the Cards pick it up, win the Primelink, and right the ship. I also hope Oswego beats them by 8 when they play. Give 'em time, they'll figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by mtuck20 View Post
                      I remember the Fire Gosek thread from years back too. Its frustrating to be knocked around when you're used to being on top. I think the Cards will turn it around. I gotta tell ya, here in Oswego, there are mixed emotions about the Cards. Mostly the feeling is happiness. But those of us that have been a fan of the Lakers for years have different thoughts. Take my thoughts for example. I'm disappointed in the Cards. I would much rather have the Cards be in second place then towards the back. You are all on crack if you think the Cards will finish out of the playoffs. So what if the Cards finish 4th-6th? Then the Lakers might have to face the Cards before the finals, and that is not good. I am a Red Sox fan, so I wait for the other shoe to drop. Cards might finally play to their potential and put an end to the Lakers run. I would much rather wait as long as possible to face them. I hope the Cards pick it up, win the Primelink, and right the ship. I also hope Oswego beats them by 8 when they play. Give 'em time, they'll figure it out.
                      This is why i compared the Cards season to 2005-2006 when they ended Oswego's season in Romney with back-to-back wins in the semifinals.
                      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

I don't want to face Platty before the finals because I know the Cards would man up and knock out Oz and cost them a tournament spot.
                        Twitter: DanMountSports
                        2013-14 DIII T.O.P. NIT Champion

2010-2011 Interlock LPS Co-Champion

Well, I'm going to do a farewell tour of upstate New York, hellholes like Plattsburgh. Fred Armisen as Gov. Paterson

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Doctor (Tom Baker)

Team I Like NFL: BUF NBA: NYK MLB: SEA NHL: NYR College Hockey: Clarkson (DI) Oswego (D3) Soccer: USA, Man United, Rangers (newco and all), Scotland NCAAF & B: SU

Comment

Originally posted by MountieBoyOz View Post
                          I don't want to face Platty before the finals because I know the Cards would man up and knock out Oz and cost them a tournament spot.
                          Oswego isn't missing the tournament no matter what if they only lose 3 or 4 games. At the rate they are going right now and with all the losses perennial contenders are piling up...Oswego is sitting pretty nice right now.
                          The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                          "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                          GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                          GO LAKERS!!!
                          GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                          Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                            Oswego isn't missing the tournament no matter what if they only lose 3 or 4 games. At the rate they are going right now and with all the losses perennial contenders are piling up...Oswego is sitting pretty nice right now.
                            Ticket for Jan 29 Lakers @ Flatty - FREE (thanks, KT)

Hotel Room for Jan 29 Lakers @ Flatty (at a national chain - thanks USCHO board!) - $100

Watching the Lakers win the first game after Emery's replacement takes to the bench - Priceless
                            LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by LakerEagleLover View Post
                              Ticket for Jan 29 Lakers @ Flatty - FREE (thanks, KT)

Hotel Room for Jan 29 Lakers @ Flatty (at a national chain - thanks USCHO board!) - $100

Watching the Lakers win the first game after Emery's replacement takes to the bench - Priceless

so I'm guessing your not planning on attending a game in Plattsburgh for a few more years then???
                              Jim Reisdorf
                              Standing on the Rail #59

jim@loremans.com contact me for all your custom embroidery, engraving and screen printing needs! check out our website... www.loremans.com

Romney will be missed by all that have been there for the great match ups between Platty and 'Wego!!!

After Closing out Romney the right way, We opened the new rink the right way.... another loss for the Lakers!

St. Louis is a BUM!!!!

Go Sabres!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X