Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Originally posted by TimU View Post
    Losing wasn't much fun last night. Getting zero points on the weekend sucked. But I really believe that we should all continue to be be encouraged and optimisitic about the future of this team.

The PK for the most part did a nice job again. Just about all the freshmen looked good. (Did Austin get hurt?) I don't think I've ever seen anyone at SLU with a better shot than Greg Carey.

I'm not going to let myself get discouraged at this point. The game last night basically came down to a couple of quick brain cramps in the defensive end. If SLU puts together a complete game without losing focus - like they did at UNH - they're in good shape, and they're only going to get better. I think that March could be very interesting, and the following two or three seasons could be pretty special.
    Carey's first goal was amazing.....we were sitting right along the end line behind him and he was at such a flat angle. One second he had the puck, the next it was in the net and I don't think York even flinched. Just out of curiosity, what is the rookie scoring record for goals in a season? Anyone know if he has a chance to come close? It's probably some ridiculous, unreachable number from back in the day.

I don't want to say last night was a winnable game but like Tim said if it weren't for a few stretches of "lost focus" we could easily have come out with a tie or it wasn't a stretch to say we could have won. We did out shoot them for the game but boy when RPI had chances did they bury them. I felt sorry for Weninger. His teammates really hung him out to dry on quite a few occasions.

The officiating was very unpredictable and boy did we get a way with a few (as did RPI). Someone also needs to explain what is or isn't icing and how they call it because we were baffled by some non icing calls.

We had a couple of inexplicable stretches where we were so out of sorts and disorganized. If these boys can find a way to not have those "walkabout" stretches they can and will play with anyone on a competitive basis.

By the by the ride back to CT was awful. Hit snow and fully snow covered roads from about the NY border all the way home so it took more than an hour and half longer than normal.
    SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
      Carey's first goal was amazing.....we were sitting right along the end line behind him and he was at such a flat angle. One second he had the puck, the next it was in the net and I don't think York even flinched. Just out of curiosity, what is the rookie scoring record for goals in a season? Anyone know if he has a chance to come close? It's probably some ridiculous, unreachable number from back in the day.

I don't want to say last night was a winnable game but like Tim said if it weren't for a few stretches of "lost focus" we could easily have come out with a tie or it wasn't a stretch to say we could have won. We did out shoot them for the game but boy when RPI had chances did they bury them. I felt sorry for Weninger. His teammates really hung him out to dry on quite a few occasions.

The officiating was very unpredictable and boy did we get a way with a few (as did RPI). Someone also needs to explain what is or isn't icing and how they call it because we were baffled by some non icing calls.

We had a couple of inexplicable stretches where we were so out of sorts and disorganized. If these boys can find a way to not have those "walkabout" stretches they can and will play with anyone on a competitive basis.

By the by the ride back to CT was awful. Hit snow and fully snow covered roads from about the NY border all the way home so it took more than an hour and half longer than normal.
      I'll just go and echo Mike and Tim's comments, they pretty much sum things up.

Interesting you hit snow, Mike. I had clear roads, some spots were wet, but no issues to NYC.

Comment

Steve and I hit snow north of Bennington and drove through it the rest of the way home. It covered the roads, but never added up to anything. We had to slow down a bit, but the driving wasn't bad.

Comment

Sounds like Carey's first goal was a carbon copy of his first goal vs UVM. He basically shot it like lightning from am impossible angle and Madore never flinched. As for the rookie scoring record, I THINK Brandon Dietrich tied it when he scored his 20th against CC in the NCAA game in '99. As for the all-time record, Brian MacFarlane had 101. Carey has the best combination of quick release and shot accuracy I've ever seen by a SLU player.

On to Michigan Tech.
          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
            Sounds like Carey's first goal was a carbon copy of his first goal vs UVM. He basically shot it like lightning from am impossible angle and Madore never flinched. As for the rookie scoring record, I THINK Brandon Dietrich tied it when he scored his 20th against CC in the NCAA game in '99. As for the all-time record, Brian MacFarlane had 101. Carey has the best combination of quick release and shot accuracy I've ever seen by a SLU player.

On to Michigan Tech.
            I've seen an alful lot of players come thru here Brian and I have to agree with you. If we can only get the four years out of him, Baker and I guess this whole class we'll be in fine shape.
            brashersaintsfan

Comment

Burke Murphy had 19 goals his freshman year in the 92-93 season. As Muskieman said Dietrich scored 20 goals as a a frosh on the 98-99 team.
              SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                Burke Murphy had 19 goals his freshman year in the 92-93 season. As Muskieman said Dietrich scored 20 goals as a a frosh on the 98-99 team.
                I think those records (assuming no major scoring slump) could be in jeopardy!!!
                SLU

Comment

The official freshman varsity goal scoring record is 21 set by Brian McFarlane in the 1951-52 season. Dietrich is second at 20 and Murphy third at 19.

Comment

Originally posted by elsid View Post
                    The official freshman varsity goal scoring record is 21 set by Brian McFarlane in the 1951-52 season. Dietrich is second at 20 and Murphy third at 19.
                    Took you long enough.

Comment

IMo There were a few questionable icing/non icing calls but I also think alot of fans are unaware of the new Hybrid icing rule where if a player on the team that is in danger of icing the puck beats the opposing teams player to the face off dot the icing is waived off.

Comment

Originally posted by jstadts View Post
                        IMo There were a few questionable icing/non icing calls but I also think alot of fans are unaware of the new Hybrid icing rule where if a player on the team that is in danger of icing the puck beats the opposing teams player to the face off dot the icing is waived off.
                        You are correct. We kept saying that we must be missing a rule change, but we couldn't figure out what it was. Thanks!

Comment

Your welcome, I like the rule. It eliminates the acting that players would do when it came to pretending not being able to get to the puck before it crosses the end line.

Comment

This week's Sign of the Apocalypse:

Sullivan has picked Greg Carey as his mid-season ROTY. Hell must be freezing over.

Comment

Carey is one heck of a player! IMO this team has played pretty good with all of the new faces. Yale is currently the #1 team and although Feb. 11th is still a few weeks away (pending things hold up) - Out of curiosity when was the last time SLU hosted a #1 ranked team? I remember Miami playing at SLU a number of years ago was #2 at the time and we played them well.

Comment

Well guys, it is always fun getting to watch the Saints live, but after last weekends losses to Union and RPI we really need to bounce back and sweep in Michigan. The Techies come in at 3-15-2 so we don't need to pad their win column. A couple of wins behind some more great goals by Carey and some solid goaltending would be awesome. This could carry us into a nice upset over Yale the following weekend. Go Saints Go

Comment

Working...
                                X