Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Great game tonight.

SLU looked pretty darn good. The PK saved the day (they called it VERY tight in the third, and there were one or two calls that had us scratching our heads), and Weninger was the #1 penalty killer. Brian is right: everybody backchecked. Bogosian broke up two plays right in front of the net that both might have been goals if he hadn't busted his *** to get back and take away the pass. He struggled a bit early in the offensive end, and but he skated hard and played defense all night. It was great to see him get the GW.

J. Keller almost scored a couple of times, and having him back will make a difference. Baker was excellent again, as was Hughes. Really, just about everybody made a play at one time or another.

UNH was great in transition, and they moved the puck really well. For the most part SLU did a good job getting in passing lanes. There were a couple of stretches in the second and third where UNH turned things up a notch and gave us a real scare. I thought Weninger was the best player today. He overshadowed what was a very good game by the UNH goalie, in fact.

Exciting stuff - glad I made the trip. It's cool to see what this group is capable of.

Comment

Only 1 home game and 11 road games in 67 days - Wally said during the game that he's never seen a stretch of road games like this in his approx. 35 years at SLU. This stretch of road trips will pay big dividends down the road, no matter the results on the scoreboard. 2-2-0 so far, with 4 down and "only" 7 to go.

Looks like my next game(s) will be at Yale and perhaps at Brown. Am in Haddonfield, NJ until 1/9 unless weather pushes up my return to J'town to Friday, so my "home" games at Union and RPI appear out. Heading into 'Philly (about 4 miles away) on Wednesday for a meeting with the staff of a bird photography publishing organization that has been good to me over nearly 3 decades. Will be wearing my STL Jersey with pride and I'll bet my last dollar that more than a few people will make positive comments about SLU.
      Last edited by Muskieman; 01-02-2011, 09:11 PM.
      GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
        You going tomorrow night Mike?
        It pains me greatly to miss a game that is so close by but unfortunately I can't make it. Have you seen all the car ads on TV saying all those great programs end on January 3rd? Well that's my fate tomorrow. Monday is not only the end of December (business wise) but also the end of the sales year. So I'll have a ball and chain around my leg and my desk.....be attached to my laptop and cell phone all day and evening long. The only good side is I work from home but it will be a crazy day and one I am not allowed to miss or take off.

If you go........make sure there is a ticket available as that place can't hold many people. I doubt they sell out particularly if students are on break but I'd be sure before driving up.
        SLU

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
          Great game tonight.

SLU looked pretty darn good. The PK saved the day (they called it VERY tight in the third, and there were one or two calls that had us scratching our heads), and Weninger was the #1 penalty killer. Brian is right: everybody backchecked. Bogosian broke up two plays right in front of the net that both might have been goals if he hadn't busted his *** to get back and take away the pass. He struggled a bit early in the offensive end, and but he skated hard and played defense all night. It was great to see him get the GW.

J. Keller almost scored a couple of times, and having him back will make a difference. Baker was excellent again, as was Hughes. Really, just about everybody made a play at one time or another.

UNH was great in transition, and they moved the puck really well. For the most part SLU did a good job getting in passing lanes. There were a couple of stretches in the second and third where UNH turned things up a notch and gave us a real scare. I thought Weninger was the best player today. He overshadowed what was a very good game by the UNH goalie, in fact.

Exciting stuff - glad I made the trip. It's cool to see what this group is capable of.
          Very diplomatic Tim. Actually, the calls were a joke in my opinion. Two of the three penalties called on SLU in the 3rd were very weak calls and just before the ref blew the call on the first game winner with 15 seconds to go, Kyle Flanagan was absolutely mugged in the corner. However, a very resilient SLU beared down. I actually think SLU had more grade A chances on UNH power plays than UNH did. They had two fantastic bids for a shortie. Good to see Army get a goal. Weninger played extremely well....probably the best since MSU where he should have had a shut out. Bogo's speed really showed on the big sheet. He turned the UNH d-men at least three times including the OT Gamewinner.

Was great to see Keller in the lineup. He looked good. I thought all of the D-men played well. Up front, Bogo and Kyle Flanagan were exceptional. Other guys had flashes. It was not the best quality hockey, but was maybe the most exciting hockey that I have seen in a while. SLU deserved the win and I am glad it worked out.

The ref knew he blew the call on the regulation game winner for SLU and admitted as much to Joe. Glad SLU ended it so quickly in OT. He put a bunch of us out of misery by winning it for SLU including the ref.

Great way to start the New Year. Baker sure is the real deal. Right now, Saints ROTY is a real horse race between Baker, Carey and Weninger....and that is not to say there are not a lot of other good players in the mix with P. Raley, Wick, Essery, Vangog, Logue, etc. The only downside I noticed is Logue did not finish the game in uniform and banged up his knee a bit I think. Great hockey game with a great result. Hope there is no let down tonight and this starts a bit of a roll for us. And, in the something to look forward to column, heard there could be as many as 19 home games next season. That will be a welcome change!!
          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Following his brothers footsteps, Hamilton Red Wings forward Matt Carey commits to SLU for 2012.

http://hamiltonredwings.com/news_story.php?search=149

Comment

Originally posted by redhead18 View Post
              Following his brothers footsteps, Hamilton Red Wings forward Matt Carey commits to SLU for 2012.

http://hamiltonredwings.com/news_story.php?search=149
              The rumor confirmed. Welcome aboard....you made a very wise choice.

Comment

Nice win tonight at Sacred Heart to conclude a great two-day segment of the extended road trip. On to Union and RPI.

Matt Carey's stats. so far for Hamilton in 2010 - 2011 are 37 games, with 19 goals, 49 assists, and 68 points. Also, 21 points (6G and 15A) on the powerplay. Yes, he made a very wise choice.
                GO SAINTS.

Comment

SLU looked pretty good tonight, but I will say Sacred Heart didn't look like a 2 win team either. Their goalie made a few big stops and they are a pretty quick team.

Bogo had a huge weekend, getting 3 goals, good to see him put some in, he's been snakebit most of his career despite always playing well. Keller had some good chances as well and looked good. Austin pots his first career goal on a nice feed by S Flanagan, who also made a real nice pass to Dyer for a PPG. Stratford had the first on a nice rebound goal off a Hughes shot from the point.

On to the Capital District for 2 tough games before another trip out to Michigan, I see good things coming in the 2nd half assuming the injury bug stays away.

Comment

Glad to see the Saints are starting to roll!
                    SLU '97

Comment

• Re: SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Wow, just watched the highlights from SLU - UNH....

As I said, and you can plainly see, with 15 seconds left there is no way that whistle should have blown so quickly (if it was actually blown) watching that play in real time it is not even close to being a good whistle and in the top of the picture you can see Kyle Flanagan getting mugged in the circle with the puck no where near him. On the UNH thread, there was some talk that the UNH goalie was high-sticked and that caused the whistle. Don't think so, Carey was the closest player and he wasn't that close until he poked in a puck that was headed there on its own. Yes, the officiating was that astonishingly bad, but the good guys won in spite of them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hockeyeastonline

They also showed the tic-tac-toe pass starting with Kyle Flanagan on the short-handed bid...don't know how that didn't go in....maybe it did.

Congrats to the boys on the road sweep. Games like SHU are hard. It is hard to get up for them and to play with the needed intensity with no fans or energy. Congrats to Austin and Dyer. Nice to see them get ice time and big goals.

Comment

Not to get too excited about a win over Sacred Heart, but . . . I do find it very encouraging that the team could go in there and avoid a letdown after a huge and, I expect, tiring win the night before. And what really impresses me is the number of different faces in the lineup last night. Stratford, Dyer, Vangog, Torney, Wick, Moss . . . none of those guys played on Sunday and only Moss was even dressed. The future is looking good.

Comment

Nice win for the Saints last night. They really overmatched SHU even though the score didn't always show it. The rink and ice were pretty poor. Ice became chewed up very quickly and created a very bouncey surface. Moss came up with a few big saves as did the SHU goalie. Time of possesion was definitley in favor of SLU. Bogo capped off a nice weekend netting a couple more. Our penalty kill looked great except for the one goal we gave up on a 5 on 3. That second penalty was SOFT! It was also nice to see us score while short handed even though SHU returned the favor a little later.I believe in the second period we outshot them 16-6. All in all a nice 4 point weekend and hopefully some momentum going into two tough games this coming weekend in Albany. Go Saints Go

Comment

Originally posted by Bob McKenzie View Post
                            In the spirit of the season, here's a photo that proves there can be peace on earth, goodwill towards men, even if it's SLU-Clarkson. LOL. Not only teammates, but linemates right now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4908972...7625526191977/

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all in the North Country.
                            Watched the Russian- Canadian Gold Cup Junior game last night and enjoyed seeing Bob M. between the 2nd. and 3rd. periods giving his take on the game .Your just as sharp as ever Bob,sure miss seeing you at Appleton.Also enjoy Mike's articles on Dan C. brog.Glad he's doing well but really knew he would, he's got a lot of grit in him. Back to the game last night,I don't remember a team folding so fast after giving up that first goal as Canada did last night. They had a 3 to 0 lead starting the 3rd. and than get bombed 5 to 3. Sad.
                            Lets hope the Saint can keep their win streak going this week end, if they play 60 minutes as they did against UNH. any thing is possible.Coach Marsh was wise to give so many players ice time in those two games, it't pay off down the road------
                            brashersaintsfan

Comment

Terrific game last night vs. Union. Could have gone either way. End to end, with both teams having good opportunities. SLU got the best of the calls, but could not convert. SLU has elevated its game considerably since the beginning of the season. Team continues to have great upside potential. Just about everyone is playing better. Need another good effort vs. RPI tonight. Go Saints.

Comment

Losing wasn't much fun last night. Getting zero points on the weekend sucked. But I really believe that we should all continue to be be encouraged and optimisitic about the future of this team.

There were long stretches last night where SLU looked like the better team, and got lots of good scoring chances. They hit a post. They had one puck get behind York at the near post, and scoot all the way across the goal line and out the other side. Unfortunately, there were some stretches where they seemed to lose all their cohesion and confidence, and RPI was all too ready to pounce. They're pretty good and they've got some guys with deadly shots.

The PK for the most part did a nice job again. Just about all the freshmen looked good. (Did Austin get hurt?) I don't think I've ever seen anyone at SLU with a better shot than Greg Carey.

I'm not going to let myself get discouraged at this point. The game last night basically came down to a couple of quick brain cramps in the defensive end. If SLU puts together a complete game without losing focus - like they did at UNH - they're in good shape, and they're only going to get better. I think that March could be very interesting, and the following two or three seasons could be pretty special.

Comment

Working...
                                X