Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    I'm sure Mike or Brandon will give you all the details but our PP was non-existant, though 2 of our goals came right after PP's were over. The officiating was terrible (but I wasn't complaining for a change).

It was a very sloppy game both ways but at the same time it was exciting because nobody knew what to expect.
    If they were going to name this hockey game after a movie.........it would properly be entitlled......."They Shoot Horses Don't They?".

That was absolutely one of the worst played hockey games I have ever attended, I am stupified by the fact we won and as loyal a Saints fan as I have been all these years.... I REFUSE to look at that travesty of a game with rose colored glasses and give credit to either team for anything that took place.

Both teams gave each other heaping huge bowls of opportunity to score goals on easy giveaways and I'd swear that one of the goalies was suffering from sight impairment for parts of the game because he looked like he never even saw the puck.

The only positive was all the nice people I saw and watched the game with and shared pizza with after the game. Oh yes, that and the two points.
    Ask me how I feel in the morning and perhaps I'll be a bit kinder and gentler.
    SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
      ........Ask me how I feel in the morning and perhaps I'll be a bit kinder and gentler.

So how do you feel???

Originally posted by TimU View Post
      ........Good luck tomorrow. We'll be rooting for you guys!.
      I am so disappointed. . LGT
      Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
      And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
      WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
      If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

OK, after listening to the game last night on the Q-pac feed, I'm gonna weigh in on a couple really big things that struck me like a "Get to Know a Saint" pie in the face:
        A. I agree--it sure sounded sloppy, on both sides.
        B. The Q-pac guys were homers, but pretty darn entertaining, and weren't afraid to give credit and blame where due.
        But the thing that struck me the hardest (like a mega-pie), was the post-game show, and once again, a couple things were big:
        C. They had technical difficulties! I thought I was listening to an SLU broadcast for a while. Brought a smile to my puss.
        D. And what REALLY struck me in the post-game show was the interview with the Q-pac assistant--I swear he spent the whole interview "blaming" the loss on two of his players. Wow. I can only imagine how long that guy would last working for Joe Marsh. No matter HOW bitter the defeat.
        Finally, one last parting shot--or maybe two--both by Greg Carey. He's gonna be darn scary, if he isn't already.

Comment

It may not have been pretty but I'll take the two points and run. Sometimes even when you play well you don't get the two. Glad to hear the Tupper Lake Crew and others had a chance to see a W. Now go get another over at Hobby Baker tonight!
          SLU '97

Comment

USCHO shows the game time tonight at 5:00. The printed schedule shows 7:00...Any help is appreciated...

As for last night, I thought the game was entertaining, but I am not too critical (especially here) either. Some sloppy play in the D-zone and a couple lazy type penalties but overall, it was fun to watch with a great outcome.

Comment

I was planning to make it to the game but I was also planning on getting home from the airport on Thursday night before 3 AM! I was lights out by 10, so not too interested in a 3 hour drive from Hamden back to God's country!

We played sloppy against Dartmouth and lost 6-1, so I'll take this any way it happens. We are a young team. About half of our forwards are Freshmen, two of our D and when PP's are 8-1 against you and you pull out the win on the road, it is hard to be too upset. Obviously, we need to tighten our play. At least we scored some goals in the first two periods too....lately, we have waited until the third to show up.

Maybe I'll go to Yale instead. Need to look at my schedule. This year is shaping up to be a tough one to see games. I guess my next one will be UNH.

I'll I can say is take it, smile all the way to Jersey and tighten and turn it up this afternoon against Princeton. Justlookin' I thought the game was at 4 so not I am totally confused. I am sure it is earlier, but maybe look at the Princeton website.
              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by apple2k View Post

B. The Q-pac guys were homers, but pretty darn entertaining, and weren't afraid to give credit and blame where due.
                But the thing that struck me the hardest (like a mega-pie), was the post-game show, and once again, a couple things were big:
                C. They had technical difficulties! I thought I was listening to an SLU broadcast for a while. Brought a smile to my puss.
                D. And what REALLY struck me in the post-game show was the interview with the Q-pac assistant--I swear he spent the whole interview "blaming" the loss on two of his players. Wow. I can only imagine how long that guy would last working for Joe Marsh. No matter HOW bitter the defeat.
                Quinnipiac has a big time athletic budget for hockey. I can't speak for the techical difficulties but if it is still the same announcing crew the main announcer is Bill Schweitzer who for years was a "major" voice on several large NY Radio stations including (I could be wrong) CBS radio and he did lots of sports reports....they also used to have an ex NHL player doing the color so Q Pac spends money promoting it's program including buying games on NESN to showcase their team. I don't know what their budget is compared to ours but I imagine there is a substantial differential. They hire "talent", pay to advertise the program on billboards and buy TV time to gain exposure (which in theory promotes the program and the University in competing for players and students in general).

As to the coaches and the comments (as a poster who just last night said some not so complimentary things about the game so I don't want to sound like a horses rear end) but that is probably the single biggest thing that fans around the league do not like about the Quinnipiac program and it is behavior mimicked from their head coach who routinely does that. I know my Q Pac brethren who are very kind to me will hate me for saying it but Pecknold is probably the least friendly, least liked/respected coach around the whole league.
                SLU

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                  So how do you feel???
                  Better rested after a good nights sleep but the opinions haven't changed much. We were very fortunate to get a couple of points out of that mess.
                  SLU

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                    Yeah, you and Got 6 were noticeably absent tonight! Most of the other guys from the Hoot were there. Made for an entertaining evening to say the least.

With the way we're playing I'll take all the help we can get!
                    Mark, it was great to see you and to be at the game with so many of my good friends and SLU fans. Enjoyed busting on you as to how much you paid the refs.

As sloppy as the game was, two points is two points and I'll take it. Q'Pac's rink is absolutely beautiful and a great place to watch a game. Classy fans, too. I'll be retuning there again.

The game at Princeton starts at 5:00. The TL Crew and I will will be departing in about an hour from our headquarters in Newburgh for Princeton.

Moss looked a bit shaky at times but made a big-time pad save in the last minute to help us win it. Be curious to see who is in nets for the Princeton game.

Nice/classy gesture by Bogo and the Q'Pac goalie (I think it was Clarke) hugging at center ice after the game. It is great to have Bogo back in the lineup.

GO Saints.
                    GO SAINTS.

Comment

Pecknold is probably the least friendly, least liked/respected coach around the whole league.
                      Did we forget about Schafer?
                      St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                      4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                      2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                      16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                      9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                      2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
                        Did we forget about Schafer?
                        No. Pecknold is far worse than Schafer and is a blight on the league if you are asking me. I have nothing good to say about him as a person or a coach. Schafer is maybe a bit arrogant, but I have a lot of respect for him and I think he is a decent guy when not coaching on the ice. If Q-Pac wasn't the only ECAC team with a Hockey East atmosphere and mentality, they wouldn't be winning recruiting battles with that coach either. I really don't get how they get the guys they do, but one after another graduates not having much better things to say about the coach than me.
                        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

I can't speak for the techical difficulties but if it is still the same announcing crew the main announcer is Bill Schweitzer who for years was a "major" voice on several large NY Radio stations including (I could be wrong) CBS radio and he did lots of sports reports....they also used to have an ex NHL player doing the color so Q Pac spends money promoting it's program including buying games on NESN to showcase their team.
                          Schweitzer didn't do play-by-play last night, it was Paul Pacelli who does come across as homerish. Kotsopolous was the color guy and can be a bit homerish at times as well.

The "difficulties" were the guys trying to do a game recap with the game audio running at the same time. I only caught the last 5 minutes or so but it was very aggrevating to listen to.

I know my Q Pac brethren who are very kind to me will hate me for saying it
                          What? You think we actually like you?

Pecknold is probably the least friendly, least liked/respected coach around the whole league.
                          Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                          one after another graduates not having much better things to say about the coach than me.
                          While I have heard these things from "outsiders" and can't really dispute any of it, I have also talked to players, parents and others close to the program and don't get the same vibes from them. They say he's tough and demanding, but I have not personally heard one of them say anything more.

I will say I used to have a problem with Rand calling out players in the post-game. Last year he did a remarkable job avoiding that for the most part. This year, I don't think he's done a post game himself. It's been the assistants for the most part and, yes, they have been critical on occasion. Maybe it's me, but most of the time I don't have a problem with it if it's deserved. If someone's getting unfairly thrown under the bus I do get a little antsy.

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                          Mark, it was great to see you and to be at the game with so many of my good friends and SLU fans. Enjoyed busting on you as to how much you paid the refs.
                          Maybe I'll need to start charging Mike double for his tickets. Obviously my payments weren't large enough so close to the holidays!

Q'Pac's rink is absolutely beautiful and a great place to watch a game. Classy fans, too. I'll be retuning there again.
                          You're too kind, but thank you anyway.
                          Quinnipiac Bobcats
                          2023 National Champions
                          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                          Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Was at last night's game and was fun to watch, could have gone either way - SLU gets 2 quick goals and then BAM! - QU comes right back and then goes on a shoot ing tear. I was fumin' over how lopsided the calls were - Macdonald did his best Kotyra/Murphy impersonation. I'm liking the looks of the young talent - Carey, Wick, Essery to name a few and it was good to see Bogosian back in the lineup. The 3rd was exciting as Q just missed the equalizer as a deflection trickled just passed Moss's left pad. From the looks of tonight's score we had a tough one vs. Princeton, but will be happy with at least a split.

Comment

Hey guys,

Sounded like a lousy weekend, even though it was a split for the Saints.

On a more exciting and positive note, Mike McKenzie and I have started a new project. He is keeping a journal-type account of his minor pro hockey life -- kind of a behind-the-scenes look as he goes through the season with the ECHL's Florida Everblades and wherever else he might go. Hopefully, you find it interesting and entertaining.

I'll be posting whatever Mike writes that week on Sundays. The first entries are now up: http://watertowndailytimes.com/section/blogs05

Questions or ideas for improvement are always welcome.

Dan

Comment

Great link and interesting reading about Mike and his travels with the Everblades.

Any in person game reports from Princeton?? It sounded like a continuation of the play at Q Pac and the shots on goal in the stats were very lopsided. I know some of the Tupper Lake crew and Muskieman were there. How about a report from someone who was at the game.
                                I was surprised by the goaltending choice after the Q Pac game.
                                SLU

Comment

Working...
                                X