Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Originally posted by critsports View Post
    It wasn't me........my best guess was Spaceman a.k.a. Tayt from Vermont. He and Muskieman are attached at the hip!!!!
    I went straight to the game and missed the pre-game festivities.
    Ah, yes, you are correct.

Also, I started a time line in yesterday's game thread to try and determine whose fans are wrong. Please add whatever events are relevant in the correct order.

Comment

Here is what I posted on the Yale thread. Aside from the loss and the season ending injury to Baker, that game was flashes of Yale talent in between the Yale chirping **** show. Sorry Bakes. I suspect we will see Austin tonight and all I can say is go get 'em Riley and Saints:

I haven't read through all the back and forth, but I agree with these sentiments entirely! In the past few years, Yale has been a great team to watch, but last night was so bad that I don't even know if I could root for them in the NCAA's anymore.

There were two penalties when Baker got injured, he was hooked down from behind and the other Yale player kneed him and hit him with other body parts in the head. There were other missed calls too. Vangog was clearly hooked on a partial breakaway (note: we got a makeup call right after that). Pete Child was cross-checked into the boards in the third from behind that was not called. Mobley was cross-checked in the face, also not called. The one penalty I saw SLU commit was Bogo following through on a check that looked more like a punch. And in my opinion, the boarding call that Little got at middle of the third where he was finally given a misconduct for chirping at the refs all night was a major. But it wasn't just the incompetent officiating combined with the fake toughness of Yale, it was the constant chirping from a lot of the Yale players. That shows no class and any coach that tolerates that is hard to respect. I lost track of how many punches were thrown and stick infractions happened last night after the whistle followed with chirping to the refs, the Saint players on the ice and the Saint bench. And, since when do the coaches not shake hands after a game? Even a three game series. Total lack of class by Allain. TOTAL!

Ritchie and Whittemore lost control of the game last night and it resulted in player injuries. I hope that tonight is better in that regard, but will not be holding my breath.

I am not saying that had a material impact on the outcome of the game, but the hit on Baker and/or Child if Child doesn't play tonight could have a material impact on the outcome of the series. SLU can't lose a player like Baker and just replace him with someone else. He is our #2 D-Man and one of the best freshmen in the league. I just hope he is alright for 2011-2012!! The actual game was lost of poor defensive play by SLU. Yale scored three goals in 6 minutes all pretty much on wide open looks and a few of our D-men and forwards playing defense looked lost.

It is really too bad. Even Joe Marsh in his pre-series interviews was saying it is hard not to like Yale. I felt the same way. After last night I lost a ton of respect. Cornell has been really good in the past and aside from a player or two like Riley Nash who I thought was a selfish underachiever, they played hard, tough and showed class. Last night was just unacceptably bad sportsmanship all the way around from Yale. If they don't clean that crap up tonight, I won't be cheering for them in the NCAA's which they should make no problem.
      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Cassavaugh tweeted that Riley is in for Baker, lineup remains unchanged otherwise.

Headed up in a couple/few hours, see you guys there who will be there. Let's hope for the best.

Comment

Tough end to the season guys. Yale just had too much fire power.
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I feel your pain guys! Nothing to be ashamed of... you surprised a few people and have a lot to look forward to next season.
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Hard fought series all the way to the end, good luck to your seniors. Lets leave the bad blood behind and start over cleanly (both teams) next year. I will be surprised if Whittemore is still a ref after this series. He is truly terrible.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

So much for Ylae being a clean team. That game was embarrassing (or should have been) for everybody.

Absolute torture watching that on B2. And I'm not talking about the loss or the elbows flying all over the place. The fool who did the color commentary the first two games was alone tonight and that was by far the worst announcing I've ever heard. Not only was he over the top and completely annoying, but he just made up the game as he went along, all the while hurling insults at St. Lawrence. Awful. A couple of examples:

Armstrong sends a long shot on, which Rondeau bobbles. Armstrong skates up to the crease when he sees the puck loose. Rondeau covers it, Armstrong pulls up and stops dead at the edge of the crease. Ylae defenseman hits Armstrong in the back, knocking him over Rondeau's pad and head-first into the back of the net. (Not that big a deal, actually: he was coming in to protect the goalie, and everything kind of happend at once.) The announcer screams that Armstrong "COMES IN VICIOUSLY ON RONDEAU!!!!!!!!!!" Right after that, there was a whistle to Weninger's right, and the camera focused in on Pat Raley bent over holding his wrists like he'd just been slashed. The announcer says O'Neill is going to the box for Ylae. Then Kyle Flanagan skates to the box (they called him for a cross-check) and the announcer says "No, it's Kyle Flanagan going to the box, AND THAT WAS AN ABSOLUTELY MALICIOUS HIT BY FLANAGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Every time anybody got within arm's length of a Ylae player in the last five minutes, he'd say "AND [Saint player] TRIES TO GET IN A CHEAP SHOT!!" It was so bad that after the misconduct penalties, when the captains were on the ice he said "The entire Ylae team and staff are telling Captain Aaron Bogosian that he needs to get his team under control. Now Martin and Bogosian are having a conversation at center ice - AND I'M PRETTY SURE MARTIN IS WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The entire second period intermission was an insult-fest between this clown and some young reporter from the register. "St. Lawrence finished 11th, and they're playing like it. They're playing badly, and they're playing dirty. Ylae is playing well, but what really impresses me is that Ylae is playing it clean." I thought I was going to puke.

Looked like maybe Joe took the TO after the last penalties to tell everybody to cut the crap. I know I didn't like some of what I saw from our guys tonight, and I sure as hell didn't like a lot of what I saw from Ylae. Elbows, dives, constant yapping . . . ugly game. I've been saying all year that I hope Ylae wins the whole thing this season. Now? I don't care if they get blown out in the first round - everybody can throw around all the ECAC insults they want.
                Last edited by TimU; 03-13-2011, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  Hard fought series all the way to the end, good luck to your seniors. Lets leave the bad blood behind and start over cleanly (both teams) next year. I will be surprised if Whittemore is still a ref after this series. He is truly terrible.
                  Agreed on all counts.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post

Looked like maybe Joe took the TO after the last penalties to tell everybody to cut the crap. I know I didn't like some of what I saw from our guys tonight, and I sure as hell didn't like a lot of what I saw from Ylae. Elbows, dives, constant yapping . . . ugly game.
                    You're absolutely correct. Joe said to me after the game that he called the time out to make sure the Saints ended things with dignity. He didn't want to go out in the way the game was headed.

Comment

Congrats on a heck of playoff run Saints! Getting beat by one of the top ranked teams in the nation is nothing to feel bad about. Yale is not only a very offensively talented team but is also loaded with some very talented drama majors as well. The officiating seemed to love their act. Hope Baker's rehabilitation goes well as his loss in game 3 was a big blow to the D. Look for SLU to be even better next year - congrats to the seniors and thanks for the memories.

Comment

So much for Ylae being a clean team. That game was embarrassing (or should have been) for everybody.

Absolute torture watching that on B2. And I'm not talking about the loss or the elbows flying all over the place. The fool who did the color commentary the first two games was alone tonight and that was by far the worst announcing I've ever heard. Not only was he over the top and completely annoying, but he just made up the game as he went along, all the while hurling insults at St. Lawrence. Awful. A couple of examples:

Armstrong sends a long shot on, which Rondeau bobbles. Armstrong skates up to the crease when he sees the puck loose. Rondeau covers it, Armstrong pulls up and stops dead at the edge of the crease. Ylae defenseman hits Armstrong in the back, knocking him over Rondeau's pad and head-first into the back of the net. (Not that big a deal, actually: he was coming in to protect the goalie, and everything kind of happend at once.) The announcer screams that Armstrong "COMES IN VICIOUSLY ON RONDEAU!!!!!!!!!!" Right after that, there was a whistle to Weninger's right, and the camera focused in on Pat Raley bent over holding his wrists like he'd just been slashed. The announcer says O'Neill is going to the box for Ylae. Then Kyle Flanagan skates to the box (they called him for a cross-check) and the announcer says "No, it's Kyle Flanagan going to the box, AND THAT WAS AN ABSOLUTELY MALICIOUS HIT BY FLANAGAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Every time anybody got within arm's length of a Ylae player in the last five minutes, he'd say "AND [Saint player] TRIES TO GET IN A CHEAP SHOT!!" It was so bad that after the misconduct penalties, when the captains were on the ice he said "The entire Ylae team and staff are telling Captain Aaron Bogosian that he needs to get his team under control. Now Martin and Bogosian are having a conversation at center ice - AND I'M PRETTY SURE MARTIN IS WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The entire second period intermission was an insult-fest between this clown and some young reporter from the register. "St. Lawrence finished 11th, and they're playing like it. They're playing badly, and they're playing dirty. Ylae is playing well, but what really impresses me is that Ylae is playing it clean." I thought I was going to puke.

Looked like maybe Joe took the TO after the last penalties to tell everybody to cut the crap. I know I didn't like some of what I saw from our guys tonight, and I sure as hell didn't like a lot of what I saw from Ylae. Elbows, dives, constant yapping . . . ugly game. I've been saying all year that I hope Ylae wins the whole thing this season. Now? I don't care if they get blown out in the first round - everybody can throw around all the ECAC insults they want.
                        No insults here, you have to realize for some reason Yale cut back the on air portion of the WYBC hockey broadcast and only have an internet feed now. I am not sure who produces it and I do not believe that they travel to away games. The broadcasts last year were excellent, I know both of the talent were seniors last year and may not be with the station anymore.
                        YALE HOCKEY
                        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                          Tough end to the season guys. Yale just had too much fire power.
                          Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                          I feel your pain guys! Nothing to be ashamed of... you surprised a few people and have a lot to look forward to next season.
                          Considering where we finished and how we ended up the season there were a lot of positives to take away. The underclassmen got a lot of experience and all the freshman played well and I am sure learned from two tough playoff rounds.

Ylae does have way too much firepower and our conundrum was how to slow them down and play physical without getting into the box........whatever we did it didn't work. I don't know the final stats but putting Ylae on the PP play is akin to playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets in the chamber instead of 1.

I like Harps comments about the drama club at Ylae.........very apropos!!!!!

It's a long way until next season and here is hoping for a better one. Thanks to our team and seniors in particular for 4 years of great memories. Best wishes to the Bogosian and Pitsikoulis families......it was great to get to know you, hang with you a bit at the games and share some good times and laughs.
                          SLU

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                            No insults here, you have to realize for some reason Yale cut back the on air portion of the WYBC hockey broadcast and only have an internet feed now. I am not sure who produces it and I do not believe that they travel to away games. The broadcasts last year were excellent, I know both of the talent were seniors last year and may not be with the station anymore.
                            The first two nights were pretty good. I didn't think the color guy added much - e.g., on Friday he spent the first two periods talking about how absolutely dominant Ylae was in every facet of the game, and when SLU tied it up in the third he said "St. Lawrence has been the better team all night 5 on 5" - but he wasn't too bad and he wasn't offensive at all. Last night it was just him and it was dreadful. He literally screamed on every shot and save to the point where the audio quality was affected, he tried to come up with catch phrases that just sounded stupid (on every SLU penalty he'd yell: "And it's going to be another Ylae POOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWe rrrrr play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"), he constantly described things that didn't happen, and he leveled insults at the opposing team throughout.

In any event, I hope everybody has a good time in Atlantic City (although I'm not attending for the first time in about 17 years because of the location) and I hope there's lots of good hockey left for the ECAC. Take care.

Comment

The first two nights were pretty good. I didn't think the color guy added much - e.g., on Friday he spent the first two periods talking about how absolutely dominant Ylae was in every facet of the game, and when SLU tied it up in the third he said "St. Lawrence has been the better team all night 5 on 5" - but he wasn't too bad and he wasn't offensive at all. Last night it was just him and it was dreadful. He literally screamed on every shot and save to the point where the audio quality was affected, he tried to come up with catch phrases that just sounded stupid (on every SLU penalty he'd yell: "And it's going to be another Ylae POOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWe rrrrr play!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"), he constantly described things that didn't happen, and he leveled insults at the opposing team throughout.

In any event, I hope everybody has a good time in Atlantic City (although I'm not attending for the first time in about 17 years because of the location) and I hope there's lots of good hockey left for the ECAC. Take care.
                              It was so bad on Saturday night, so one-sided, that I turned the audio off on B2 and listened to Greg and Wally. That way I could hear what was going to happen on the video a minute later! :-) Sunday night it was literally unbearable. I was trying to watch on GoGO inflight WIFI on Delta. It was like watching hockey on a strobelight so I again turned the volume down and just looked at the score after a while.

Here is the problem I have with Yale. Someone gave me the right words. They were indignant that we had the audacity to come in and hit them and play them hard in their own rink and even suggest they needed to show up to advance on to AC. That arrogance was plainly evident. Here is the problem for Yale, there are teams with similar speed, and skill such as Miami, BC, UND and those teams are going to hit. The 'drama department' comment was spot on. I am not saying SLU didn't embarrass themselves at times either. But I do know how they are coached and I do know how bad it had to get for it to reach that level. I hope Baker has a full and painless recovery. I'll miss these seniors like I do all the classes before them. They are great kids and some great leaders. I wonder too how long we will have to wait to see another player as fast as Bogosian or with as much heart as Keller. Let's hope some of those qualities reside with some of the incoming recruits!
                              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

So I went to Archie Moore's to pick up some food post-game last night and who's there but Muskie and Spaceman, i think i finally got it right. They were preparing for their respective trips home with some lubrication and food-to-go. We chatted briefly about the series and they were very gracious. If they are representative of SLU fans then I am happy to share a beer with all of you.

I wasn't expecting the level of physicality from SLU based on what I saw in the regular season, but they did what they needed to do to be competitive. It caught me off-guard and I found some players to hate, which for me is part of being a fan. I love a good villain. But I will never hold my perceptions of a team to the fans of the team. If you can take me, I'm happy to talk trash on these boards and philosophize in person. Thank you guys for an emotional and exciting weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X