Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Originally posted by TimU View Post
    Just have to say how happy I am we get to see Ylae at least two more times, AND WHINE ABOUT THE WEATHER.

After it rained all day yesterday (including a few hours of freezing rain in the afternoon), our forecast said we could get up to 6 inches of snow by 1:00 PM today. We had that much before I went to bed last night, that much more overnight, and it's been practically a white-out all morning and hasn't slowed down yet. Nobody loves snow more than I do, but this is getting ridiculous!
    At least you didn't have to drive through it at 2AM.

Congrats on taking down Princeton, and best of luck against Yale. You've done it once this year, you can do it two more times.

Comment

Congrats SLU WTG A question...where the shots really 49-16 and like 24-4 in the third period ?? If so I hope you're getting your goalie a hooker ! LMAO

Hope we meet again...that'd be in NJ ! Congrats again !!!
      Last edited by sshablak; 03-07-2011, 11:17 AM.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        Congrats SLU WTG A question...where the shots really 49-16 and like 24-4 in the third period ?? If so I hope you're getting your goalie a hooker ! LMAO

Hope we meet again...that'd be in NJ ! Congrats again !!!
        I think the shots were skewed in the 1st (16-5), but the other 2 periods I would generally agree with having seen the game in person. However, most shots were perimeter shots until the 3rd, with little to no traffic. They got some shots from in close in the 3rd, and had several close opportunities, but Wenny was up to the task.

Comment

Anyone have luck getting tickets yet?

I tried calling the SLU Ticket office (per the SLU e-mail I got) but got a recording saying they were closed. I'm wondering if I should hedge my chances here and just call Ylae to insure I can get in. They have been selling out regularly and when SLU played down at the Whale last time I was only able to get Standing Room tickets.
          SLU

Comment

I think thie ticket office has been closing at 2 PM most of the year. SLU got 100 tickets to sell. I suspect if you call them in the morning they will still have a few remaining Mike.
            SLU '97

Comment

Also Yale went on spring break last Friday and are on break for the next two weeks. Tickets should be easier to get with the students out of town.
              SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman View Post
                I think thie ticket office has been closing at 2 PM most of the year. SLU got 100 tickets to sell. I suspect if you call them in the morning they will still have a few remaining Mike.
                Actually Tayt I left a message and they called me back late this afternoon. I did get a ticket so I am all set. 100 tickets??!!!! How generous. I wonder what the standard/normal allotment is? I know for the regular season game Tim and I went to there were close to 170 people (I think) just at the pre-game function and a heck of a lot more than that at the game itself.

Who all is going next weekend?

Hopefully a few of the dinged up guys will get better. We are going to need what I would think would be our speediest line up out there. Ylae can fly and turn from defense to offense in a nano second.
                SLU

Comment

as of right now, im on ra duty next weekend, hopefully I will be able to either swap weekends or find coverage for the nights to get up there.

pitsi mentioned after the game he was real sore, and I know drewiske was battling some injuries, but it is the playoffs and guys have to play a little banged up.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                    Who all is going next weekend?
                    I know Muskieman, the Tupper Lake Crew and myself are going.
                    SLU '97

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                      Having a flashback on this one. Was listening to WRPI FM in 1990 and a Cornell at RPI regular season finale would decide our playoff foe/location. If Cornell won, we would play at Clarkson; if RPI won, we would host Cornell in a best-of-3 series. This was pre-internet days, so called KSLU and told them I was listening and they asked me to call later and announce the final on the air. Unfortunately, I later had to announce - in my only radio broadcast to this day - that Cornell won it in OT. We lost in 2 in Potsdam.

The saddest thing is that seems like yesterday.
                      Yeah, I was there with that team. That season sucked. We should have been a lot better than we were. And it was still Walker, not Cheel. What a crappy place to see your last game from the bench as a Saint.

As for the win on the road....that was gutsy! Congrats to the whole team. As important as it was to get the goals from the freshmen, what came through for us is team defense in the 2nd and 3rd. Princeton has some guys that can play and we shut them down with them pressing. That is commendable. We have to play out of our heads and get some bounces to beat Yale who I would imagine will come out flying after getting beat by Brown at the Whale last year. I am not sure if I can go or if I could even get a ticket at this point. Would love to though.

Congrats to Don Vaughan and the Raiders of Colgate. You know a couple of road wins can erase some bad memories from a tough season. I think they can really give Union a run for their money. I can't believe 12, 11 and 10 all advance....so much for home ice advantage. There will be some really interesting series this weekend.

If Carey is not ROTY he has to be second. I think Calof has more points, but Carey is as promised "deadly from the circles in". His shot is just incredible. I think he can wrist it harder than most guys can slap it.

I am very thankful that we just didn't continue to swirl down the drain as it seemed like we were doing on Friday. So happy to see the fight in the boys!
                      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

I will be there this weekend for any and all games.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post

If Carey is not ROTY he has to be second. I think Calof has more points, but Carey is as promised "deadly from the circles in". His shot is just incredible. I think he can wrist it harder than most guys can slap it.
                          Carey's my vote for ROTY in the media voting. Also, Carey has 11 goals, 9 assists in conference play. He has 21 goals, 16 assists overall.

Calof had 7 goals, 16 assists in conference; 9-24 overall.

It will be a tight race between the two, but I believe Carey's meant more to SLU this season than Calof has to Princeton. It's hard to deny a freshman ROTY when he scored 21 goals... and eliminated the competition from the playoffs (although voting was done prior to the playoffs).

Comment

Re article below (it was dated 12/22/10), congrats. to Wellsy, his staff, and the team. Sounds like she is going to be very, very good:

Topics :
                            Westminster School , St. Lawrence University , Pictou County , Canada

Carmen MacDonald has been down studying in the U.S. so long now that when she's home for Christmas, her family teases her about her Yankee accent.

She doesn't mind. She's just glad to be back in Pictou County for a bit.

"It's really nice," she says. "I haven't been home since the summer."

MacDonald is studying at Westminster School where she plays on the school's field hockey and ice hockey teams. She has excelled in both versions of the sport and right now her team has a 7-0 record for the season.

It's been quite a year for the Bayview native. In March she helped Canada's Under-18 team defeat their American counterparts for gold at the U-18 Worlds. She was also invited to Canada's U-22 training camp.

"It was different," she says. "Their girls are a lot older at that age and they're really skilled and committed. It was fast."

That said she is proud to have been invited at such a young age.

But being famous has never been MacDonald's main objective.

"I just play because I love it," she said.

A goalie's role is unlike any other.

"It's a different position because you're part of a team but at the same time you have to focus on yourself and be in your own world," she said.

Her mother often asks her how she can't feel pressure in that type of situation.

Her answer is simple.

"I know what I'm doing and everything else doesn't matter at the moment," she said.

MacDonald has two goals in mind right now. Long-term is to make it to the Olympics. The other is to get her education through a hockey scholarship.

She's had plenty of offers for the latter goal, but has verbally committed to St. Lawrence University a smaller college in New York State.

"I really like the team," she says. "They're really open and nice and just accept you as soon as you get there."

As a small town girl she likes that it's in a smaller community.

"I just feel like it's a closer community and there's a better chance of knowing people on campus," she said.

Her plan right now is to study science.

She hopes that she can be a positive role model for young hockey players in Pictou County.

"I want them to realize anything can happen if they push themselves," she says. "It's all about trying out for the team you don't think you're going to make. You never know what's going to happen."
                            Last edited by Muskieman; 03-08-2011, 06:47 PM.
                            GO SAINTS.

Comment

I e-mailed a bunch of you today on this, but wanted to post it here:

"If you guys want to have some fun, go to the Clarkson RoundTable and view the thread. “Season in Review.” Some idiot posted that beating SLU (3-times) was akin to beating a high school team. Pete (SLUFAN) and VicB (who some of us met in Albany in 2007 and a great guy despite his misguided rooting interests) were all over it.

Well, all I know is that the “Board of Education” for that “high school” just raised the comp. fee to $53,740 per year. That’s one expensive “high school” and yes, that “high school’s” hockey team still has a pulse. I’d hate to have to pay school property taxes for that “High School.”!!

See you all in New Haven.
                              GO SAINTS.

Comment

Greg Carey named ECAC Rookie of the week: http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2010-1...0110803_M_ROTW

Congrats and well deserved!
                                SLU '97

Comment

Working...
                                X