Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Originally posted by slu fan View Post
    Yes, We can all get along but it's still his 5th nod for the award,Hope he gets a few more goals this week-end -----
    Oct-26th
    Dec-21
    Jan-11
    Jan-18
    Feb-22
    Eh blame it on Cassavaugh , he tweeted the wrong info earlier on and then corrected it later after I posted. Either way, he's a very special player who we all hope will stick around for his full time.

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
      So I have seen on a few different websites that we are officially eliminated for home ice from the first round. Unless I am missing something I think if we sweep and Brown splits and Quinnipiac gets swept doesn't that make us tied for 8th. with Quinnipiac and we have won and tied against them. Wouldn't that give us the 8th. seed for the playoffs going by head to head? Someone help me out in case I am wrong.
      You're correct. You'd also need Brown to drop at least 2 points on the weekend.

If you want, I detailed all of the possible tiebreakers (heading into tonight) in this post. The hope for 8th is still alive. I, for one, do not want to see the Saints on the opposite side of the ice from my team's players when the playoffs start in March.
      Go Red!!

National Champions: 1954, 1985, 201x

Houston Field House, Cheel Arena, Agganis Arena, Magness Arena, Ritter Arena, Messa Rink, Matthews Arena, Von Braun Center, Lynah Rink, Starr Rink, Appleton Arena, Dwyer Arena, Buffalo State Ice Arena, Kelley Rink (also Verizon Center (DC), Herb Brooks Arena, Fenway Park (Frozen Fenway I), Times Union Center, DCU Center, Blue Cross Arena)

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
        Eh blame it on Cassavaugh , he tweeted the wrong info earlier on and then corrected it later after I posted. Either way, he's a very special player who we all hope will stick around for his full time.
        Yeah, yeah. Sorry about that. I posted from the road and when I looked it up after SLUfan alerted the world of my gaff, I corrected it. Thanks :P

St. Lawrence needs a lot of help to make home ice. Marsh said at practice today, laughing, "A lot of help."

Quinnipiac would need to lose both games to Union and RPI (not at all unlikely).
        Brown would have to drop one of its two games against Cornell and Colgate (also, not at all unlikely).
        St. Lawrence, of course, would have to win out to tie Quinnipiac at 17 points. The Saints do hold the tiebreaker over Qpac. I wasn't sure of this earlier in the week, but the coaching staff confirmed a tie with Qpac would be won by SLU.

First, though, the Saints need to win two games in a row. That's happened only twice this year (Cornell/Colgate on Nov. 5-6 and UVM/UNH/Sacred Heart Dec. 18-Jan 3).

Lastly, I found Marsh's interview this week particularly interesting. He kind of went off on one of his tangents as he discussed the evolution of hockey in his tenure with SLU. It's on the blog: http://watertowndailytimes.com/section/blogs05

Comment

Originally posted by SLUwriter View Post
          Yeah, yeah. Sorry about that. I posted from the road and when I looked it up after SLUfan alerted the world of my gaff, I corrected it. Thanks :P

St. Lawrence needs a lot of help to make home ice. Marsh said at practice today, laughing, "A lot of help."

Quinnipiac would need to lose both games to Union and RPI (not at all unlikely).
          Brown would have to drop one of its two games against Cornell and Colgate (also, not at all unlikely).
          St. Lawrence, of course, would have to win out to tie Quinnipiac at 17 points. The Saints do hold the tiebreaker over Qpac. I wasn't sure of this earlier in the week, but the coaching staff confirmed a tie with Qpac would be won by SLU.

First, though, the Saints need to win two games in a row. That's happened only twice this year (Cornell/Colgate on Nov. 5-6 and UVM/UNH/Sacred Heart Dec. 18-Jan 3).

Lastly, I found Marsh's interview this week particularly interesting. He kind of went off on one of his tangents as he discussed the evolution of hockey in his tenure with SLU. It's on the blog: http://watertowndailytimes.com/section/blogs05
          If memory serves we have dropped 3 in a row to Dartmouth and Harvard dropped us like a bag of potatoes earlier this year so we better go into the weekend all business and not even be thinking about the weekend after. I know this team can beat anyone but they also regularly beat themselves so anything can happen.

I must say, of all the first round matchups having Q-Pac in town wouldn't scare me as much as other matchups. I never want to play Brown (again)....not only do we suck against them but it is not good hockey to watch.

Whatever happens, happens. I just hope the guys come out flying, we play with fire and hunger and the officiating is not a disaster.
          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
            If memory serves we have dropped 3 in a row to Dartmouth and Harvard dropped us like a bag of potatoes earlier this year so we better go into the weekend all business and not even be thinking about the weekend after. I know this team can beat anyone but they also regularly beat themselves so anything can happen.

I must say, of all the first round matchups having Q-Pac in town wouldn't scare me as much as other matchups. I never want to play Brown (again)....not only do we suck against them but it is not good hockey to watch.

Whatever happens, happens. I just hope the guys come out flying, we play with fire and hunger and the officiating is not a disaster.
            Will we see you in Hanover tomorrow night?

Comment

Thank you for clarifying for me.....I was pretty sure I had it right
              St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
              4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
              2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
              16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
              9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
              2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

• Re: Muskieman Hall of Fame Moment and Other Musings

Good luck this weekend. Always love watching / listening to the Harvard - SLU games.

Harvard is on a bit of a roll right now (if you can call it that), after a season that has made us all feel like driving off a cliff. They've won 3/4 with two real quality wins - BU in the Beanpot and Cornell at Lynah. The other win came Tuesday against Brown at Meehan - and as you guys know, coming away from there with any points always fels good, no matter where Brown is in the standings.

Comment

Notes from Hanover:

First period was awful, SLU was awful. We were lucky to be down by one. Second period was only slightly better, we were still lucky to be down by one. We did have some excellent chances, including one by Flanagan that we were sure was going to be a goal.

The third was much better. SLU had more jump and more confidence and started to carry play. The only time they let down was on a very lackadaisical clearing attempt . . . which Dartmouth promptly put in the back of our net for the GWG. Off the faceoff we hit the post.

We're not sure exactly what happened on the non-goal at the end, but we suspect they couldn't make the video replay work. One person told us they could see the monitor, and it was black the whole time they were trying to watch it. He said it looked like they kept trying and couldn't get a picture. The other ref was talking to both benches at this point shaking his head. What we do know is this: Mike and I were both 100% certain the puck went straight into the net, hit the center post, and came back out. We both got up and started cheering instantly. It was in. I also saw Pat Raley come straight to the bench and say "That puck was in the net." I suppose I could be proven wrong by a good video replay, but at this point I'm sure it was a goal and I suspect they didn't have any evidence to overturn the no-goal call on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                    Notes from Hanover:

First period was awful, SLU was awful. We were lucky to be down by one. Second period was only slightly better, we were still lucky to be down by one. We did have some excellent chances, including one by Flanagan that we were sure was going to be a goal.

The third was much better. SLU had more jump and more confidence and started to carry play. The only time they let down was on a very lackadaisical clearing attempt . . . which Dartmouth promptly put in the back of our net for the GWG. Off the faceoff we hit the post.

We're not sure exactly what happened on the non-goal at the end, but we suspect they couldn't make the video replay work. One person told us they could see the monitor, and it was black the whole time they were trying to watch it. He said it looked like they kept trying and couldn't get a picture. The other ref was talking to both benches at this point shaking his head. What we do know is this: Mike and I were both 100% certain the puck went straight into the net, hit the center post, and came back out. We both got up and started cheering instantly. It was in. I also saw Pat Raley come straight to the bench and say "That puck was in the net." I suppose I could be proven wrong by a good video replay, but at this point I'm sure it was a goal and I suspect they didn't have any evidence to overturn the no-goal call on the ice.
                    Based on the response of the players on the ice, the SLU coaches after the game, the SLU players during the 'review' and after the game where Whiskey B-Lined it to the refs to tell them how awful they were, there is no doubt it was in the net. ****ed again by horrible ECAC officiating. It was average until the end of the game where they needed to get the call right and then they failed. Second game this season (one at home) where the replay equipment did not work on obvious goals. That is beyond pathetic. It is almost like if we had director of officials that starts fights with reporters...oh, wait!

Comment

Based on the response of the players on the ice, the SLU coaches after the game, the SLU players during the 'review' and after the game where Whiskey B-Lined it to the refs to tell them how awful they were, there is no doubt it was in the net. ****ed again by horrible ECAC officiating. It was average until the end of the game where they needed to get the call right and then they failed. Second game this season (one at home) where the replay equipment did not work on obvious goals. That is beyond pathetic. It is almost like if we had director of officials that starts fights with reporters...oh, wait!
                      It sure looked obvious to me. Honestly, my first reaction (after jumping up and cheering) was to wonder why on earth the goal light wasn't on. Then I started looking to the officials, because I was sure they would be blowing play dead and pointing in the net. Then the puck was in our goal. Then, when they went to review it, I was sure it was going to count - after all, if somebody hadn't seen what I saw, why would they review it at all? It didn't hit the crossbar, and it didn't hit the goaltender. The longer it went, the more nervous we got.

We were sitting at the opposite blue line, and here's what I saw: The puck came out into the slot from behind the goal, right to an SLU player. He shot the puck, and it went straight toward the goal to open space a few feet off the ice (the goalie was way over by his right post and the net was mostly uncovered). Then it came straight back out into the slot, right where it had come from, almost as fast as it went in. To me, it was clearly below the crossbar and it never made a sound. There was just no doubt in my mind.

Comment

Watched the game on Dartmouth's site last night. One of their announcers said the goal was in and the other one said no ?? Not a good way to be finishing the regular season, The last 12 league games with 3 wins 1 tie and 8 loses so far , I though I was going to be sick watching the first 2 periods, couldn't believe that they couldn't get them up for this week-end. Maybe tonite will be better, oh, where was Baker last night, sick or hurt? or have I missed something?My son in Boston is going to nite with 7 or 8 buddies from the class of "89" Hope they see a win.
                        brashersaintsfan

Comment

Just weighing in on last nights game.........my eyes are not what they used to be but from what I saw we definately scored to tie the game.

I can't add anything that Tim didn't as I was sitting right next to him and we talked about it on the ride home and all day today. While one can never say for certain, to our naked eye and the players on the ice it went into the net and came right back out again. I even thought the net cord might have moved way up high a bit as well.

Of course Dartmouth went right up the ice and scored the empty netter.

Lots of odd line up decisions last night. One could argue until the cows come home (hey I'm in Vermont so we have to put a cow reference in) that we didn't have our best line up on the ice, but, it truly was disappointing to see how poorly we played particularly in the first period. I seriously thought after the talking to the team got after the Union game that we would have come out on fire but it was anything but. We were downright awful. As Tim said the second period was pretty bad and we finally got some jump in the third. I/we can cry all we want about the "no-goal" but the reality is we didn't even deserve to be in the game at that point based on how we played.

If this team was supposed to be building some momentum towards the first round of the playoffs........last night wasn't the answer.

The bottom teams seem to be playing a lot better and our stock is trending down. We are down to the last chance to feel good about ourselves tonight before the playoffs start. Win or lose a solid "effort" would be nice because we sure didn't see one last night.
                          SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                            Just weighing in on last nights game.........my eyes are not what they used to be but from what I saw we definately scored to tie the game.

I can't add anything that Tim didn't as I was sitting right next to him and we talked about it on the ride home and all day today. While one can never say for certain, to our naked eye and the players on the ice it went into the net and came right back out again. I even thought the net cord might have moved way up high a bit as well.

Of course Dartmouth went right up the ice and scored the empty netter.

Lots of odd line up decisions last night. One could argue until the cows come home (hey I'm in Vermont so we have to put a cow reference in) that we didn't have our best line up on the ice, but, it truly was disappointing to see how poorly we played particularly in the first period. I seriously thought after the talking to the team got after the Union game that we would have come out on fire but it was anything but. We were downright awful. As Tim said the second period was pretty bad and we finally got some jump in the third. I/we can cry all we want about the "no-goal" but the reality is we didn't even deserve to be in the game at that point based on how we played.

If this team was supposed to be building some momentum towards the first round of the playoffs........last night wasn't the answer.

The bottom teams seem to be playing a lot better and our stock is trending down. We are down to the last chance to feel good about ourselves tonight before the playoffs start. Win or lose a solid "effort" would be nice because we sure didn't see one last night.
                            Wow, that weekend was the definition of ugly and frustrating. We come back to tie at Dartmouth and the goal judge and refs miss it and we lose after playing 40 minutes of awful hockey going into the third. Then we go down 4-1 on Harvard come back to within a goal and lose again. Grilk and Spads in net for the whole game.

So, we are headed to Princeton who is a very good team that beat us twice. Not to be a downer, but this was pretty discouraging. We beat teams like UNH and Yale and lose to some dogs and really I think beat ourselves more often than we got beat. Yes, we miss Baker who looked like he pulled or sprained something at the end of the Union game, but the team defense in the last two games was pretty bad.

So, this has not been our year. It is a new season now though. After a 11 hour bus ride to Princeton, we will see what we can do down there. Congrats to Union and Yale. While I think Yale is a better team, you got to hand it to Union for what they did this season. Wow! You know the future at SLU is bright with the younger kids, but it is hard to feel upbeat at all the way they limped into the playoffs. Not sure if I would rather be playing RPI or Princeton. I guess it doesn't matter, we either need to find a way to win or we don't deserve to play either Yale or Union. That is what I am going to hope for though...SLU and Colgate win and we play a series at Yale. Even if we lose, it will be good hockey.

Congrats to the Seniors. There are some really quality kids in that senior class. Talent aside, Bogo, Keller, Pitsi, Raley, and Sean Flanagan are all good kids. Hope the younger kids can help them have their final memory at SLU be something other than a sloppy weekend at Harvard and Dartmouth.

Where is Rick Carden? Injured or has he left SLU??? I did not make the game as something came up and I couldn't make it. We have not seen him since when???

Comment

Wow, that weekend was the definition of ugly and frustrating. We come back to tie at Dartmouth and the goal judge and refs miss it and we lose after playing 40 minutes of awful hockey going into the third. Then we go down 4-1 on Harvard come back to within a goal and lose again. Grilk and Spads in net for the whole game.

So, we are headed to Princeton who is a very good team that beat us twice. Not to be a downer, but this was pretty discouraging. We beat teams like UNH and Yale and lose to some dogs and really I think beat ourselves more often than we got beat. Yes, we miss Baker who looked like he pulled or sprained something at the end of the Union game, but the team defense in the last two games was pretty bad.

So, this has not been our year. It is a new season now though. After a 11 hour bus ride to Princeton, we will see what we can do down there. Congrats to Union and Yale. While I think Yale is a better team, you got to hand it to Union for what they did this season. Wow! You know the future at SLU is bright with the younger kids, but it is hard to feel upbeat at all the way they limped into the playoffs. Not sure if I would rather be playing RPI or Princeton. I guess it doesn't matter, we either need to find a way to win or we don't deserve to play either Yale or Union. That is what I am going to hope for though...SLU and Colgate win and we play a series at Yale. Even if we lose, it will be good hockey.

Congrats to the Seniors. There are some really quality kids in that senior class. Talent aside, Bogo, Keller, Pitsi, Raley, and Sean Flanagan are all good kids. Hope the younger kids can help them have their final memory at SLU be something other than a sloppy weekend at Harvard and Dartmouth.

Where is Rick Carden? Injured or has he left SLU??? I did not make the game as something came up and I couldn't make it. We have not seen him since when???
                              So, Princeton it is. At least we avoided playing at Clarkson, the worst possible match-up for us in my view despite the proximity.

As for the cameras, that's two rinks (Appleton and Thompson) where they supposedly didn't work when needed. That said, an analogy is in order:

Before venturing on photography trips of more than ten miles, I always test my cameras before I go and bring a back-up camera in case the camera of choice fails. I make up for a lack of photography talent by being prepared. I don't get my stuff published because I'm a great photographer (I'm far from it) but do get it published because I pay attention to detail and leave my house "prepared" before venturing on trips. The analogy here is that it appears that some ECAC barns (including ours) are not paying attention to detail and are un-prepared as it relates to video review.

I'm left wondering if the video review cameras get tested before the games' start and between periods. Probably not. The refs. check the nets at those times and common sense would dictate that somebody should be testing the cameras as well. Also, why isn't a back-up camera installed above each net and ready for use if a primary camera fails?

So, I submit to the ECAC to get the video thing right at all of its rinks by: 1) testing the cameras and 2) installing back-ups above both nets in each of its 12 arenas. If the ECAC can't get it right, get rid of the stupid cameras.

On to Princeton - I'll bring my camera as a back-up. LOL.
                              Last edited by Muskieman; 02-26-2011, 10:11 PM.
                              GO SAINTS.

Comment

Carden is still with the team. I see him after games in suits and he's been around the locker room for practice. He has been a healthy scratch since Jan. 3 against Scared Heart. I do not want to speculate, but I'm assuming it's something off-ice related. Marsh has only told me he's been a healthy scratch. I last asked him about it at the end of January.

Comment

Working...
                                X