Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Muskieman Hall of Fame Moment and Other Musings

Originally posted by TimU View Post
    25 years ago, I couldn't even imagine that SLU could get swept by Union . . . and I wouldn't even be all that surprised or upset!

The second period was hard to watch, but at least they didn't pack it in. Another really good game for about 50 minutes. Unfortunately, Union's a good team, and they just keep coming at you. We're still just a whisker away from doing some real damage.
    Tonight was a case of bigger, faster, better, stronger. Union has a good team and we got beat by a better team. It wasn't for a lack of effort and like Tim said above we didn't pack it in when things were looking grim and the boys tried hard all the way through to the end.

I thought the officiating was pretty lousy and in particular in the first period they missed some calls on Union then called one immediately afterward on us one of which Union cashed in on. Also.......I've never seen a game where the linesman got in the way more than they did tonight. They literally stopped the puck in their skates several times, redirected it and generally should have been whistled themselves for "obstruction".

There were some low lights and Union really ground us into the ice in the second period. To our credit we came back hard in the third but we were out manned and Union is very good. Ironically they are good in a very different way than Ylae. Ylae is fast and flashy but Union is big, strong and just grinds you down into the ice. They are going to be a good team and a scary one to play for the next few years.
    SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
      Tonight was a case of bigger, faster, better, stronger. Union has a good team and we got beat by a better team. It wasn't for a lack of effort and like Tim said above we didn't pack it in when things were looking grim and the boys tried hard all the way through to the end.

I thought the officiating was pretty lousy and in particular in the first period they missed some calls on Union then called one immediately afterward on us one of which Union cashed in on. Also.......I've never seen a game where the linesman got in the way more than they did tonight. They literally stopped the puck in their skates several times, redirected it and generally should have been whistled themselves for "obstruction".

There were some low lights and Union really ground us into the ice in the second period. To our credit we came back hard in the third but we were out manned and Union is very good. Ironically they are good in a very different way than Ylae. Ylae is fast and flashy but Union is big, strong and just grinds you down into the ice. They are going to be a good team and a scary one to play for the next few years.
      Not much I can add that Mike (above) and others have already said about the weekend except:

1. Many thanks to Pat and Eric for once again being accommodating hosts, as always. Enjoyed spending time with you guys, Mike, Jeff, GoldenBear, and others.

2. 15 games this season for me, and 11 in a row, but we're 5-9-1 with me in attendance. I'm of no help.

3. Those horns at Appleton have got to go. It sounds like you're at a soccer game in South Africa. If we can't get rid of them, at least tell the individuals playing them to STOP doing so once the puck is dropped after play stoppages. I heard those things in my sleep last night.

Too tired right now to post anything else.... on to Dartmouth.
      GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
        3. Those horns at Appleton have got to go. It sounds like you're at a soccer game in South Africa. If we can't get rid of them, at least tell the individuals playing them to STOP doing so once the puck is dropped after play stoppages. I heard those things in my sleep last night
        While we are at it, ban the vuvuzelas from soccer too. They detract from the singing

Comment

Pleased with a split on the weekend. I thought we could have performed better Saturday but you have to give Union some credit because they have a solid team this year. Nice seeing folks at Appleton this season and sad to think that I have to wait til October to get back there again. Congrats to the seniors and the rest of the team, here's hoping to a strong regular season finish and a trip to AC in the playoffs. Go Saints!!!

Comment

I actually enjoy hearing the horns/vuvuzelas at the game at Appleton. Until we get a band, I enjoy hearing our students making some noise. Bzzz... Looking forward to going to both the Dartmouth and Harvard games.
            SLU '97

Comment

• Re: SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Originally posted by critsports View Post
              Tim....you know me like a book. I don't like either trade. I think the Bruins gave up too much in both of them (particularly the Kaeberle trade.) In the Atlanta trade you are essentially trading Wheeler for Peverley (as the other part of the deal is Stuart for a defenseman)......if you ask me; would I trade Rich Peverley for Blake Wheeler straight up.... I would say not in a million years. I think we have seen the best that Peverley can offer (and the Bruins certainly need what he has which is offense) but to me there is far more upside to Wheeler and I think the Bruins are too impatient. Wheeler is very talented, strong and big and in all sports it takes bigger kids longer to come into their own. I think the B's gave up on him too soon. These are deals you make if you are a Stanley Cup contender and as much as I love the Bruins (and the Saints) the Bruins proved over the last few weeks they are not a legitimate threat to win the cup this year. Their record against the West is horrible and the back to backs against the Wings showed how far away the B's are. On the Kaeberle trade I think they gave up too much "future" for not enough "present". Again...Chiarelli is doing it because he thinks the B's can win now and this year. I just don't agree with that. I think you hang onto all those picks (who knows if Colborne will be good or not) and keep building for the future.

Now onto tonight. Great team effort by the Saints that started with the opening line on the opening faceoff and continued to the next line. Great energy at the start. It got a little dicey when RPI got it to 2-1 as we were marching to the box too frequently. That was the only downside I saw. Our effort and intensity were great tonight and Robby Moss kept RPI at bay while York was pummeled into submission before being replaced. It was not a good first game back for him.

Moss made some wonderful acrobatic saves and even on some redirections looked sharp. Carey can score from anywhere and his second goal was a laser wrister that was harder than most people can hit a slap shot.

If we can play with the same intensity and verve tomorrow night it will not be an easy game for our friends from Union.
              Losing Wheeler and Stuart was all about salary cap. Like Tim, I'll miss Stuart, but I am pleased that Peverly is local now and I can watch him a lot more. I do not think we have seen the best that Peverly has. He has improved every year since his freshman year in college when he had 2 goals in 20 games. He does not have much of a supporting cast in Atlanta. It is an interesting trade for sure. I don't watch Kaberle so much, so I am not sure about that. I hate giving up 1st round draft picks though...without that we wouldn't have Seguin.

I saw the RPI game but only parts of the Union game. I am disappointed when we lose to anyone in our barn. We shouldn't.

As for me Muskieman, the Saints are undefeated with me in attendance this year! Barring disaster, I'll be in Hanover and Cambridge.

Carey's second goal against RPI....good God. That was just sick!

I have looked at the standings and decided I don't want to play anyone in the first round. I actually am more scared of the teams lining up for 7th and 8th than 5th and 6th. Let's hope we have more than 2 weekends of hockey to go. I'd like to see S. Flanagan, Keller go on a while to make up for lost time. Hope the Saints can start to string together solid 60 minute efforts with fewer breakdowns.

Finally, Moss was fantastic on Friday.
              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post

Carey's second goal against RPI....good God. That was just sick!
                That goal was absolutely incredible. Subtle move, wrist shot with lightning-quick release, and the goalie had no chance. I looked up at the rafters and just said to myself, "You got to be kidding me," before cheering a spectacular goal.

Spaceman - you can have those horns/bugles. My hearing is that of a newborn (only thing on me that still works like new ) and those horns may just drive me out of Appleton next season, unless I get tossed!! I'll go to a bugle concert instead and wear ear plugs.
                GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskieman View Post
                  That goal was absolutely incredible. Subtle move, wrist shot with lightning-quick release, and the goalie had no chance. I looked up at the rafters and just said to myself, "You got to be kidding me," before cheering a spectacular goal.

Spaceman - you can have those horns/bugles. My hearing is that of a newborn (only thing on me that still works like new ) and those horns may just drive me out of Appleton next season, unless I get tossed!! I'll go to a bugle concert instead and wear ear plugs.
                  Refs have feelings too!
                  Mr. Hoot Owl says, "Scary isn't it ?!? You never know!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenBear View Post
                    Refs have feelings too!
                    That's awesome.
                    GO SAINTS.

Comment

Congrats to Greg Carey for being named ROTW, his 3rd time getting the nod this season.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                        Congrats to Greg Carey for being named ROTW, his 3rd time getting the nod this season.
                        I believe it's Greg's 5 th time this season getting the nod----
                        brashersaintsfan

Comment

4th time according to the ECAC website
                          Mr. Hoot Owl says, "Scary isn't it ?!? You never know!!!"

Comment

Can't we all just get along?
                            But, seriously--what a great player!

Comment

Originally posted by apple2k View Post
                              Can't we all just get along?
                              But, seriously--what a great player!
                              Yes, We can all get along but it's still his 5th nod for the award,Hope he gets a few more goals this week-end -----
                              Oct-26th
                              Dec-21
                              Jan-11
                              Jan-18
                              Feb-22
                              brashersaintsfan

Comment

So I have seen on a few different websites that we are officially eliminated for home ice from the first round. Unless I am missing something I think if we sweep and Brown splits and Quinnipiac gets swept doesn't that make us tied for 8th. with Quinnipiac and we have won and tied against them. Wouldn't that give us the 8th. seed for the playoffs going by head to head? Someone help me out in case I am wrong.
                                St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                                4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                                2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                                16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                                9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                                2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Working...
                                X