SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

I watched last nights game and came away with these impressions. 1) our seven defensemen are really struggling this year! way too many missed man assignments in their own zone,not getting the puck out of their own zone,pinching or rushing the puck deep,which allows too many odd man rushes coming back our way! Childs really looked lost out there,hughes has taken a step back this year,point men just not able to keep the puck in the offensive zone. we are young and there just does not seem to be any consistant energy or chemistry from game to game.I am never really sure which team is going to show up,the one that can beat anybody,or the one that will lose to anybody!

Comment

Tough weekend coming up for sure. Hopefully SLU can finish the rest of season with some hard fought games and then play spoiler in the playoffs. Go Saints!

Comment

Overall, I agree with Tim. I thought we were the better team for 2.5 periods, and then Clarkson scored and we lost our composure. We did not look good the last 10 minutes.

The game winning goal was on the forwards out there. I think Vangog turned it over or did not clear when he had a chance too and, although I only saw the play one time, I think Oakley was the assignment of one of the forwards. Not even sure who was on the ice for the first goal against, but there were two Clarkson guys there and zero good guys right on the door step.

With youth, you get a bit up and down both with energy, performance, etc. The loss is disappointing but not devastating. Like Tim, I was sure we were going to win going into the third, and then they scored and we lost the momentum that was obviously there before.

Officiating was not the issue, and was good by ECAC standards, but that is like getting excited that you have another month to pay a big charge on your credit card because it missed the statement close date....you still know you are going to pay it next month because no crews are able to put it together for two games in a row. Heck, normally, they cant for two shifts in a row.

The last 10 minutes would not even phase me if Brown was not also fresh in my memory. That game was just ugly. This is not the time in the season we want to be losing our momentum or losing our composure.

All I can say is we have some good players and kids in our senior class. This is it. Lead and find a way to elevate the team. There is a lot of raw talent in that room but it is going to take some leadership to pull it together and carry the guys at times. Obviously, I think guys like Bogo, Keller and S. Flanagan can do it.....but I hope they do it fast. We need a couple of good weekends to hit the playoffs with some confidence.

Congrats to Clarkson. That was a big win for them and they did play with composure and pretty good discipline. Karpowich was a bit lucky at times but we made him look good. I am with Pitsi though....would like another crack at them when it matters....like in AC! Yeah, I know...wishful thinking.
        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
          Overall, I agree with Tim. I thought we were the better team for 2.5 periods, and then Clarkson scored and we lost our composure. We did not look good the last 10 minutes.

The game winning goal was on the forwards out there. I think Vangog turned it over or did not clear when he had a chance too and, although I only saw the play one time, I think Oakley was the assignment of one of the forwards. Not even sure who was on the ice for the first goal against, but there were two Clarkson guys there and zero good guys right on the door step.

With youth, you get a bit up and down both with energy, performance, etc. The loss is disappointing but not devastating. Like Tim, I was sure we were going to win going into the third, and then they scored and we lost the momentum that was obviously there before.

Officiating was not the issue, and was good by ECAC standards, but that is like getting excited that you have another month to pay a big charge on your credit card because it missed the statement close date....you still know you are going to pay it next month because no crews are able to put it together for two games in a row. Heck, normally, they cant for two shifts in a row.

The last 10 minutes would not even phase me if Brown was not also fresh in my memory. That game was just ugly. This is not the time in the season we want to be losing our momentum or losing our composure.

All I can say is we have some good players and kids in our senior class. This is it. Lead and find a way to elevate the team. There is a lot of raw talent in that room but it is going to take some leadership to pull it together and carry the guys at times. Obviously, I think guys like Bogo, Keller and S. Flanagan can do it.....but I hope they do it fast. We need a couple of good weekends to hit the playoffs with some confidence.

Congrats to Clarkson. That was a big win for them and they did play with composure and pretty good discipline. Karpowich was a bit lucky at times but we made him look good. I am with Pitsi though....would like another crack at them when it matters....like in AC! Yeah, I know...wishful thinking.
          SLU is the #1 team I do not want to see in the first round. Going 5-0 or 5-1 against a team (especially in a rivalry) in a single year is ridiculously difficult to do and I wouldn't feel comfortable about that series one bit.

Comment

I would argue that many of the problems in the defensive zone are a result of the inconsistent play of the forwards. Both Child and Hughes have not played as well as last year when they were paired together. (Though saying Child looked lost out there is a bit over critical.) I would agree with some bad decision making at the offensive blue line and in the offensive zone by the defensemen. SLU has a great history of the defense getting involved in the offense, but they need to pick the right times. Joe, essentially out the last four weeks, is badly missed.

It would be nice to have the team step up this weekend and carry it into the playoffs. Go Saints.

Comment

Originally posted by Larriecat View Post
              I would agree with some bad decision making at the offensive blue line and in the offensive zone by the defensemen. SLU has a great history of the defense getting involved in the offense, but they need to pick the right times.
              Agreed. Fensel and Miskovic spent a lot of time behind the opposing goaltender, but they always seemed to make excellent decisions. I thought Baker (just to give an example) was starting to gamble too much during the Ylae game. Sure enough, the first time he pinched down the boards on Saturday, Brown took off the other way and scored.

But that will come. All I'm worried about is effort and energy right now. If they play hard and stay focused for 60 minutes they'll be in every game . . . and if they lose they lose. Like Got6 said, I just don't want them to give up all the forward momentum they've built over the past three months by not showing up with their best effort.

In any case, the next three, and maybe four, games will offer chances to step up and deliver a big win. I'm looking forward to seeing them in person again at Dartmouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Larriecat View Post
                I would argue that many of the problems in the defensive zone are a result of the inconsistent play of the forwards. Both Child and Hughes have not played as well as last year when they were paired together. (Though saying Child looked lost out there is a bit over critical.) I would agree with some bad decision making at the offensive blue line and in the offensive zone by the defensemen. SLU has a great history of the defense getting involved in the offense, but they need to pick the right times. Joe, essentially out the last four weeks, is badly missed.

It would be nice to have the team step up this weekend and carry it into the playoffs. Go Saints.
                Obviously, I agree with this. I thought Hughes and Baker also looked good together but they are some similar in their styles that I can make an argument for them being separated too though. I am not going to knock Child. He got a penalty called against him which was a very weak call and had a couple of iffy shifts but so did every single player on the team. I think, if memory serves, the first goal was on the d-men (Torney and M. Raley?) and the second goal against on the forward line of Essery, Vangog and S. Flanagan. I was not really thrilled with the ability to bear down to clear the puck defensively, or beat Clarkson to the puck or win the battles offensively. The one line I did like a lot was the 4th line of Wick, Logue and Dyer. Great energy, great hits and some solid zone time.

I won't dwell too much more on the details. I get this sense though of this game and Brown being a missed opportunity. You have to come out flying and play a full 60 especially at home.

What I do know and what I am happy about is to see all the freshmen and sophomores in the lineup and see them on the ice at crucial times....think about that: K. Flanagan, Carey, Essery, Vangog, Wick, Dyer, Logue, Baker, Hughes, P. Raley all out there and showing flashes of talent that I think could make for some fun years to come, and others Weninger, Austin, Stratford and Dewey all of whom I think can contribute did not play. What is up with Rick Carden? Mobley? Armstrong? Is the youth movement in full force? If so, why would Torney play over Austin, etc.?
                9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Breaking News--- Just got a call from my daughter in law {a staunch Boston Bruins Fan] that Rich Peverly has been traded to Boston from the Thrashers. Went in on the Ttrashers home page and she 's right. Great jump for Peverly, he'll fit right in with their style of play-------
                  brashersaintsfan

Comment

Originally posted by slu fan View Post
                    Breaking News--- Just got a call from my daughter in law {a staunch Boston Bruins Fan] that Rich Peverly has been traded to Boston from the Thrashers. Went in on the Ttrashers home page and she 's right. Great jump for Peverly, he'll fit right in with their style of play-------
                    I think so, too, and although Mike probably disagrees, I think Wheeler didn't fit in well at all, so I like this trade. Peverly will mix it up around the net, and I assume he'll kill penalties. I am definitely sorry to see Mark Stuart go, but the Bruins are pretty deep on defense, especially with Kaberle coming. I don't know that these moves make them good enough to win the Stanley Cup, but they should give them a better shot at winning the east.

Too bad they couldn't get Bogosian!!!

Comment

Noooo--say it isn't so! Not to b--buh--I can't say that name!
                      Well, at least it wasn't the Habs.
                      On a more positive note, I have this weird feeling that we're gonna sweep--after the Clarkson game, I think we're ready to rumble.

Comment

• Re: Muskieman Hall of Fame Moment and Other Musings

Well, the Saints sure shut me up tonight! I'm scratching my head over these last four games, but that was another impressive win. Go get 'em tomorrow.

Comment

thanks for your help tonight

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                            I think so, too, and although Mike probably disagrees, I think Wheeler didn't fit in well at all, so I like this trade. Peverly will mix it up around the net, and I assume he'll kill penalties. I am definitely sorry to see Mark Stuart go, but the Bruins are pretty deep on defense, especially with Kaberle coming. I don't know that these moves make them good enough to win the Stanley Cup, but they should give them a better shot at winning the east.

Too bad they couldn't get Bogosian!!!
                            Tim....you know me like a book. I don't like either trade. I think the Bruins gave up too much in both of them (particularly the Kaeberle trade.) In the Atlanta trade you are essentially trading Wheeler for Peverley (as the other part of the deal is Stuart for a defenseman)......if you ask me; would I trade Rich Peverley for Blake Wheeler straight up.... I would say not in a million years. I think we have seen the best that Peverley can offer (and the Bruins certainly need what he has which is offense) but to me there is far more upside to Wheeler and I think the Bruins are too impatient. Wheeler is very talented, strong and big and in all sports it takes bigger kids longer to come into their own. I think the B's gave up on him too soon. These are deals you make if you are a Stanley Cup contender and as much as I love the Bruins (and the Saints) the Bruins proved over the last few weeks they are not a legitimate threat to win the cup this year. Their record against the West is horrible and the back to backs against the Wings showed how far away the B's are. On the Kaeberle trade I think they gave up too much "future" for not enough "present". Again...Chiarelli is doing it because he thinks the B's can win now and this year. I just don't agree with that. I think you hang onto all those picks (who knows if Colborne will be good or not) and keep building for the future.

Now onto tonight. Great team effort by the Saints that started with the opening line on the opening faceoff and continued to the next line. Great energy at the start. It got a little dicey when RPI got it to 2-1 as we were marching to the box too frequently. That was the only downside I saw. Our effort and intensity were great tonight and Robby Moss kept RPI at bay while York was pummeled into submission before being replaced. It was not a good first game back for him.

Moss made some wonderful acrobatic saves and even on some redirections looked sharp. Carey can score from anywhere and his second goal was a laser wrister that was harder than most people can hit a slap shot.

If we can play with the same intensity and verve tomorrow night it will not be an easy game for our friends from Union.
                            SLU

Comment

Nice well played game for SLU with a lot of key goals to keep RPI out of reach. Moss had a nice game in net with some impressive saves. I thought the Saints played very hard and outplayed RPI for majority of the game. I hope they got some fuel left in the tank for tonight with a tough Union squad coming in - Go Saints!

Comment

25 years ago, I couldn't even imagine that SLU could get swept by Union . . . and I wouldn't even be all that surprised or upset!

The second period was hard to watch, but at least they didn't pack it in. Another really good game for about 50 minutes. Unfortunately, Union's a good team, and they just keep coming at you. We're still just a whisker away from doing some real damage.

Comment

Working...
                                X