Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SLU 2010-2011 - Until Moko Comes Along This Will Have To Do

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    About six inches on the ground in New Haven, shouldn't be a problem. FYI for anyone coming down the reserved seats for both weekend games are sold out and there are limited standing room and general admission tickets left, the last game sold out completely. If you have standing room I would advise arriving at least one half hour early if you want to get a decent look at the game. The garage next to the rink sold out as well last week.
    I'm not worried about the snow. It's supposed to be 15-20 below zero in VT on Saturday night!

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
      I'm not worried about the snow. It's supposed to be 15-20 below zero in VT on Saturday night!
      It will be downright balmy here, we have had about 40" of snow here this season which is very VT like.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

Update from Yale ticket office

St. Lawrence game is Sold Out.

Should be a great atmosphere, enjoy the game.
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
          Update from Yale ticket office

St. Lawrence game is Sold Out.

Should be a great atmosphere, enjoy the game.
          I am sure the atmosphere will be great........however, if we play like we did against Brown it will be you who will be doing the enjoying. I have two huge concerns coming into this game.

1. Our aforementioned sloppy and listless play against Brown. If we play like that tonight we could lose by double digits and I would not want to be our goalie.

2. Our style of play fits right into your wheelhouse. I could eat my words but I expect a high scoring game.
          SLU

Comment

• Muskieman Hall of Fame Moment and Other Musings

You had to be there........
            Coming up to the end of the first period at last nights Brown game.

Scenario, we are getting outplayed and I am sitting with Brandon in a row with Spaceman and Muskieman right in front of us.
            To set the scene......Meehan has a nice scoreboard with a little bit of animation capability but it does not keep track of shots on goal.

Muskieman offers up an observation....... "Gee, I can't believe we are outshooting Brown 24 to 7.....it sure doesn't feel like that!"

Tayt's reply........ Brian.....that's the time of day, it's 7:24 PM!!!

Insert uproarious laughter and numerous references to the time/shot clock for the rest of the night.......Look, the SOG went down, they are only 8 to 14 now!!!!

All joking aside it was not a very fun evening. The boys were lackluster at best and Brown had way more energy and enthusiasm, was faster than us and beat us to most every puck. Starting out the game with a penalty shot goal 26 seconds in was not the way to start the game (an absolute correct call by the official). After that there were too many penalties against us (some very dubious and borderline and all called by one official) although Brown's captain (Z insert the rest of alphabet here) tried his best to even it up giving us 3 PP chances himself.

The difference to me was Brown's transition game. They transitioned easily with clean, crisp passes that let them get out of their end and into ours with lot's of premium scoring chances. Our transition was not present and we often in desperation (from Brown's pressure and forecheck) dumped the puck out along the boards to give up posession and just relieve the pressure. Our highlights????

-The Hughes goal that deflected at least once and maybe twice on the way into the net.
            -A couple of posts one by Carey and the other which we all thought was a goal and we stood and started cheering.
            -A hit by Wick that took out not only the Brown player but also a linesman with the same hit.

Bottom line when you only give up two goals you should win a hockey game but Brown played better and wanted it more. We were very disappointed with our effort and at this point in our developent if we come out and are not the hungrier and more energetic, hustling team then the outcome is not going to be good.

Tonights game is kind of scary in that I think our style of play fits right into Ylae's wheelhouse......I think it could be a very high scoring game.

Godspeed to Joe Marsh and we wish him a quick recovery.
            SLU

Comment

What happened to Coach Marsh? I hope it wasn't a repercussion of him getting hit by a puck during the RPI game a couple weeks ago...

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                What happened to Coach Marsh? I hope it wasn't a repercussion of him getting hit by a puck during the RPI game a couple weeks ago...
                All we've heard is that he had surgery in Boston and won't rejoin the team until next week.

I ended up not skiing today, I've been sick for 2 weeks already and have now developed a good cough to go along with this head cold. I'll be trying to get to Yale around 6 tonight to get a good spot on the rail.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                  All we've heard is that he had surgery in Boston and won't rejoin the team until next week.
                  I certainly hope he gets well soon.

Comment

Still no word on Marsh and the surgery. I spoke with a few people in the athletic department and they said the surgery was scheduled. Now, I know that Marsh had appointments this week, but at practice, I was told he would be with the team. Perhaps the surgery was a little more draining than expected.

I'm still trying to find out what exactly is going on, but I want to let you all know I'm on it. Hopefully tonight, I'll find out after the game and I'll put it on the blog.

If not, I'll definitely find out at practice this week.

Dan
                    Last edited by SLUwriter; 01-22-2011, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Best wishes to the Coach, see you guys tonight. If it's any faster paced than last nights game, the roof might come off The Whale. I think Clarkson may surprise Brown tonight.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

Joe Marsh missed Friday's game with Brown and will miss tonight's game with Yale while recovering from a Thursday surgery.

Marsh was expected to be with the team for the weekend games, but complications following the scheduled surgery have hospitalized the coach through the weekend. He hopes to be with the team early next week.

The specifics of the surgery have not been disclosed by St. Lawrence or the coaching staff.

http://watertowndailytimes.com/section/blogs05

Comment

Two more losses. Another zero-point ECAC weekend. And I'm still not discouraged.

Last night's game - with the exception of the last ten seconds - was fantastic. SLU played a good game. We could (and one could argue should) have been up by 2 or 3 goals after the first period. Rondeau was ridiculous. Ylae started to turn the tables in the second. We still looked good, but for some reason started to get tentative on clearing attempts. We had many easy chances to clear and just hesitated and made a weak pass. One of them finally came back to bite us, but even after two the game could have been a one- or two-goal lead for either team. Plus, it was non-stop great hockey. Fast, open, good passing, great scoring chances, incredible goaltending both ways. You couldn't ask for a more fun game to watch.

The third period was Ylae showing why they're in first place and at the top of the rankings. SLU didn't slow down a lot, but Ylae just has another gear. They left us in the dust. They are by far the best team I've seen and the best team the ECAC has had in quite a long time. Wow. I'm not at all disappointed with the result. Ylae is just that good. And I continue to think that everybody had better watch out for the Saints over the next two seasons. Depending on who we bring in for new players, SLU could be playing some very big games in March and April 2013.

Comment

Two more losses. Another zero-point ECAC weekend. And I'm still not discouraged.

Last night's game - with the exception of the last ten seconds - was fantastic. SLU played a good game. We could (and one could argue should) have been up by 2 or 3 goals after the first period. Rondeau was ridiculous. Ylae started to turn the tables in the second. We still looked good, but for some reason started to get tentative on clearing attempts. We had many easy chances to clear and just hesitated and made a weak pass. One of them finally came back to bite us, but even after two the game could have been a one- or two-goal lead for either team. Plus, it was non-stop great hockey. Fast, open, good passing, great scoring chances, incredible goaltending both ways. You couldn't ask for a more fun game to watch.

The third period was Ylae showing why they're in first place and at the top of the rankings. SLU didn't slow down a lot, but Ylae just has another gear. They left us in the dust. They are by far the best team I've seen and the best team the ECAC has had in quite a long time. Wow. I'm not at all disappointed with the result. Ylae is just that good. And I continue to think that everybody had better watch out for the Saints over the next two seasons. Depending on who we bring in for new players, SLU could be playing some very big games in March and April 2013.
                            Ditto what Tim said except I'll disagree on one minor point. I don't think we put out our best effort against Brown on Friday night. If we had played as well Friday as we did on Saturday we could have come out of Brown with one or two points.

Weninger was stellar in net this weekend and stood on his head keeping us in the game at Yale. He made some incredible saves and on goals two and three there was NOTHING he could have done to possibly stop them. Ylae's third goal reminded all of us of the type of goal Gellard, Fyfe and Anderson used to score. Work the puck around on the PP and find a forward open on the weak side into an empty net.

The game did get ugly at the end and I am sure Joe will not be happy with the way the game ended when he watches the tape.

Whenever I post on this thread I am torn between the fine line of supporting our boys and our team and being critical........I know our coaches don't single out players which is one of the endearing features we love about them......but at some point it's difficult to not want to comment directly on an incident or the performance of a specific player. We all try to avoid it but on other threads (take a look at Hockey East or WCHA where they routinely take players and coaches to task) but once in a blue moon one feels compelled to comment.
                            Overall our boys played well but I'll leave it at a general statement that one of our more gifted offensive players has to get much stronger physically and realize that the sensational option is not the best option. Fix that and my guess is he could go from very talented to off the charts talented.
                            SLU

Comment

• Re: Muskieman Hall of Fame Moment and Other Musings

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                              You had to be there........
                              Coming up to the end of the first period at last nights Brown game.

Scenario, we are getting outplayed and I am sitting with Brandon in a row with Spaceman and Muskieman right in front of us.
                              To set the scene......Meehan has a nice scoreboard with a little bit of animation capability but it does not keep track of shots on goal.

Muskieman offers up an observation....... "Gee, I can't believe we are outshooting Brown 24 to 7.....it sure doesn't feel like that!"

Tayt's reply........ Brian.....that's the time of day, it's 7:24 PM!!!

Insert uproarious laughter and numerous references to the time/shot clock for the rest of the night.......Look, the SOG went down, they are only 8 to 14 now!!!!

All joking aside it was not a very fun evening. The boys were lackluster at best and Brown had way more energy and enthusiasm, was faster than us and beat us to most every puck. Starting out the game with a penalty shot goal 26 seconds in was not the way to start the game (an absolute correct call by the official). After that there were too many penalties against us (some very dubious and borderline and all called by one official) although Brown's captain (Z insert the rest of alphabet here) tried his best to even it up giving us 3 PP chances himself.

The difference to me was Brown's transition game. They transitioned easily with clean, crisp passes that let them get out of their end and into ours with lot's of premium scoring chances. Our transition was not present and we often in desperation (from Brown's pressure and forecheck) dumped the puck out along the boards to give up posession and just relieve the pressure. Our highlights????

-The Hughes goal that deflected at least once and maybe twice on the way into the net.
                              -A couple of posts one by Carey and the other which we all thought was a goal and we stood and started cheering.
                              -A hit by Wick that took out not only the Brown player but also a linesman with the same hit.

Bottom line when you only give up two goals you should win a hockey game but Brown played better and wanted it more. We were very disappointed with our effort and at this point in our developent if we come out and are not the hungrier and more energetic, hustling team then the outcome is not going to be good.

Tonights game is kind of scary in that I think our style of play fits right into Ylae's wheelhouse......I think it could be a very high scoring game.

Godspeed to Joe Marsh and we wish him a quick recovery.
                              Well, it took 42 years but I figured out a way for SLU to go virtually undefeated on the road for the next 100 years. We just need to petition the NCCA to start all games at about 6:35 PM. Under that scenario, most games would end about 8:50 PM and we would outshoot the home team 50-8 each time.

After the 2nd period, I ran into a guy who asked me, of all people, if there were 3- or 4- 20 minute periods and said he was embarassed to ask but it was his first hockey game ever. I politely explained the "time of game" rules and then told him of my SOG interpretation. We laughed our butts off as it was clear to both of us that he knew a heck of lot more about the game than I.

The Brown game was as boring an atmosphere as possibly could be. They listed the attendance at about 1,200 but it was more like 600, if that. By contrast, the Yale game was college hockey at its best played in a great atmosphere. SLU played its butt off at Yale but Yale was plain and simple a better team, and we looked a bit "leg weary" as the game evolved. 1 home game in a 76-day span would/will do that to ANY team.

It was great to meet/talk with Justin Baker on Thursday. It's clear to me that he really knows what's important in life.

Forget the hockey - my best to Joe and many wishes for a speedy recovery.
                              Last edited by Muskieman; 01-23-2011, 04:23 PM. Reason: Shot Clock Error
                              GO SAINTS.

Comment

We could be scary good in a year or two. I, too, am not one bit discouraged.
                                GO SAINTS.

Comment

Working...
                                X