Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartans v Irish

MSU:
    G - Perlini has consistently found the net from early October 'til last Saturday
    A - Grant - All-around good game now, aside from netting goals
    Rookie - J. Chelios - reliable defenseman and a bit lethal from up top.
    Team? Inconsistent from game to game and from period to period. Biggest problem is taking penalties early has major impact on 3rd-period performance. In net, Palmisano is (somewhat disappointingly) getting all the minutes. He takes too many chances, but is fundamentally sound and occassionally comes up with a gem.
    State's power play is looking solid as is it's penalty kill. 5-on-5 seems to be the problem in last 30 minutes of play.

ND:

Re: Spartans v Irish

We are not physical enough to play down low at either end. We don't clear rebounds. Too much finese not any grit.

Comley overplays key players and they wear down during the game and later on in the season.

Maybe a morale problem???
    Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

I don't think it's a conditioning or fatigue thing but so far something has been amiss. I would like to see our goal breakdown by period because i swear it feels like 90% come in the first. I think the last meaningful 3rd period goal we've scored was probably against Maine.

Palmisano still makes me cringe when he comes out to play the puck. Even though it didn't cost us a goal saturday, he turned the puck over several times. Despite this, he stops the puck well.

MSU is a real good team at times and i hope that the consistency comes with experience as this is quite a young team. But for now, I have seen too many leads evaporate to expect us to take the weekend.

Notre Dame looks to have things together this year. Since it is in south bend I would be pleased with a split. However, i think ND takes 5 points since i cannot seriously ever predict us to win a shootout.

Comment

Has Comley given a reason for playing Palmisano every game? I mean arent our backups pretty solid, especially Yanakeff, who i assume will be our next starting goalie...sometime in the future

Comment

But enough about us

Comment

This is my take on ND's thread:

I'm still okay with splitting on the road...if we can (continue to) win at home.

This young season seems to still be a riddle thus far. MSU is in 10th place in the league in the early goings, but some of their numbers are outstanding. ND is in 1st place, but some of their numbers stink.

Nationally, ND has 2 of the top rookies in T.J. Tynan (4th in the country) and Anders Lee (12th). It gets even better when you weed out the other leagues. Tynan is the top rookie scorer in the CCHA.

MSU's top scorer is Brett Perlini with 11 points overall, 7 in the league. ND's top guy is Ryan Guentzel with 14 points overall and 9 in the CCHA. Torey Krug is MSU's top D with 6 points in league play. Kevin Lind leads ND's D with 5 points in the league.

MSU averages 2.67 GF in league play, while giving up a fairly stingy 2.17. ND averages a healthy 3.38 GF while giving up 2.5 in the CCHA. MSU is +16 as a team. ND is +32 as a team.

MSU's PK is ranked 35th nationally at 81.2%, but in the league, they rank 2nd at 90.5%. Their PP is a healthy 20% nationally and an even fatter 26.1% in the league, ranking them first. ND is ranked 6th nationally on the PK at 89.8%, but they are only middling in the league at 87.5%. ND's PP is still on life support, both nationally and in league play at 13.1% and 14.6%, respectively. Amazingly, they are not in last place on either chart when a man up.

Drew Palmisano should be in net both nights as he's been in net the entire season for the Spartans. He's 4-3-3 with a GA of 2.25 and a save % of .919. Mike Johnson most likely will be in net both nights. He's 5-2-1 with a GA of 2.37 and a save % of .918.

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus
            I would like to see our goal breakdown by period because i swear it feels like 90% come in the first. I think the last meaningful 3rd period goal we've scored was probably against Maine.
            12 in the 1st. 10 in the 2nd. 7 in the 3rd.
            "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

The fact that MSU gives up more goals in the third than the first or second and scores fewer in the third than the first or second does lead me to think conditioning MAY be some sort of an issue. Conditioning and preparation were an issue for Notre Dame last season literally from the first dropped puck, and their third periods were routinely awful and that's when they gave up most of their goals. Different story this season as only WMU in the CCHA has given up fewer third period goals (6 in 10 games to NDs 7 in 11). Of late the third period defensive dominance has waned a bit, as they have given up 4 3rd period tallies in the last 4 games, after giving up but 3 in the first 7 games.

We're relentless on the forecheck, but, at least as of last weekend, still prone to bad passes, turnovers and youthful mistakes in the other 2/3rds of the rink. My guess is if MSU's third period woes continue, Notre Dame could sweep. But if they solve that problem, at least for the weekend, all bets are off and who knows what happens.

Comment

I know the Spartans haven't played well in the Joyce the last few seasons. I think they really want to break that trend and, on the heels of their bounce-back game last Saturday, will shock the Irish by taking 4 to 6 points.

Comment

Generally speaking, as has been the case for the last three years (or so), I really don't think this is a good matchup for us. If we leave South Bend with any points, I'll be a happy camper.

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
                  Has Comley given a reason for playing Palmisano every game? I mean arent our backups pretty solid, especially Yanakeff, who i assume will be our next starting goalie...sometime in the future
                  Yanakeff was brought here to be an understudy for Palmisano, much like Palmisano was for Lerg a couple of years ago. He was brought here to eventually fit into the starter's role.

One thing about Comley is that he's extremely loyal to the goaltender on the top of the depth chart. Keep in mind, Comley played Lerg with a torn ACL for multiple games because Lerg insisted on playing. (Granted, nobody knew at that point Lerg had a torn ACL, but still...)
                  Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                  66 - 86 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                  59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Were's the BEEF? No d to speak of.
                    Cubbies 4 ever

Comment

I feel like the Irish have always been a matchup nightmare or something for us. Even when they aren't very good, they find ways to beat us. Looks like we were dominated last night.

The last 4 weeks or so have painted a pretty gloomy picture for the season. Need this game tonight more than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaurus View Post
                        I feel like the Irish have always been a matchup nightmare or something for us. Even when they aren't very good, they find ways to beat us. Looks like we were dominated last night.

The last 4 weeks or so have painted a pretty gloomy picture for the season. Need this game tonight more than ever.
                        Wow, is my memory of this series a little different. From the time Notre Dame re-joined the CCHA in 1992 through the end of the Poulin tenure in 2005, Notre Dame was -- get ready for it -- 4-27-7 against MSU. We had a better record than that against Michigan. While the blowouts often evident in the ND/UM series were mostly absent, the domination was no less complete. For many reasons I found the ND/MSU series the most appalling and embarrassing one Notre Dame carried on prior to Jeff Jackson's arrival in South Bend. Of late the series has obviously trended heavily in Notre Dame's favor. I believe the Irish are 5-0-2 in the last seven match-ups, and have split two NCAA games in recent seasons. Last year's 2-0-2 mark came in the middle of the season when an otherwise uninspired Notre Dame managed to at least hold their own, after starting slowly, and finishing horribly.

Comment

Here's to a quick return for Daulton Leveille. Thankfully, he's "only" concussed.
                          "Hockey is the only tribe I belong to." --Jack Falla

"Why, as a matter of fact, I suggested starting a hockey program to Father Callahan, our president. He was downright interested until we came to the use of sticks, and then he threw up his hands. He said, 'No, that game is not for our University. Notre Dame will never endorse any game that puts a club in the hands of an Irishman.' " -- Knute Rockne: All American

Comment

Originally posted by IrishHockeyFan View Post
                            Wow, is my memory of this series a little different. From the time Notre Dame re-joined the CCHA in 1992 through the end of the Poulin tenure in 2005, Notre Dame was -- get ready for it -- 4-27-7 against MSU. We had a better record than that against Michigan. While the blowouts often evident in the ND/UM series were mostly absent, the domination was no less complete. For many reasons I found the ND/MSU series the most appalling and embarrassing one Notre Dame carried on prior to Jeff Jackson's arrival in South Bend. Of late the series has obviously trended heavily in Notre Dame's favor. I believe the Irish are 5-0-2 in the last seven match-ups, and have split two NCAA games in recent seasons. Last year's 2-0-2 mark came in the middle of the season when an otherwise uninspired Notre Dame managed to at least hold their own, after starting slowly, and finishing horribly.
                            Come on you namby-pambies - dispense with the sandbagging and learn how to bask in success.

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                            I know the Spartans haven't played well in the Joyce the last few seasons. I think they really want to break that trend and, on the heels of their bounce-back game last Saturday, will shock the Irish by taking 4 to 6 points.
                            This is why I am such a beloved competitor in the CCCPs. You're welcome.

Originally posted by Jeff_Jackson_for_Pres. View Post
                            Here's to a quick return for Daulton Leveille. Thankfully, he's "only" concussed.
                            He'll have a hell of a night. Or two.

Comment

Did we seriously give up a game winning shorty in the last few minutes to be swept? Reaaal glad i didn't see this live or even listen to the radio.

And what is the Leveille story?

Comment

Working...
                              X