Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Second

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

MTUHatTrick84, You have to remember the team's transition from Watters to Sertich to Russell that happen over those 6 years. Many of the younger players that were recruited by Sertich were not retained by Russell and probably have an adverse affect on the 2001, 2002 and 2003 numbers.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

I don't care if we have a team filled with the most ******** dolts in North America, as long as it brings in some hardware! Get them into Underwater Basketweaving classes and tutor the **** out of them! If Auburn can get that idiot, who couldn't even speak a language that would pass for english further than 3 blocks away from Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, to pass his classes, we should be able to get the dumbest canadians we can find (that kick *** at hockey) to pass enough classes to at least get 2 seasons out of them.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Auburn is not my idea of a class act. I'd be against that.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          MTUHatTrick84, You have to remember the team's transition from Watters to Sertich to Russell that happen over those 6 years. Many of the younger players that were recruited by Sertich were not retained by Russell and probably have an adverse affect on the 2001, 2002 and 2003 numbers.
          I can see how the coaching change would affect the 2001 cohort especially, since they were going into the sohphomore year when Russell was named head coach. I would also accept that the coaching change would affect the 2002 cohort, since they signed under Sertich to play for Tech and then Russell came in at the same time they did. It should not have had an effect on the cohort of 2003, since Russell was already in and established, and players that had made verbals would be allowed to rescind them. Anyone that signed in that cohort knew they were coming in with Russell, and coaching instability should not have played a factor, and yet it was the lowest number of the bunch.

It is interesting to me that the earlier cohorts that would have been sophomore through senior during the coaching instability still managed to maintain a high GSR. One would have really expected a hit to the numbers with players that were here during the change, not those who came in after.

A few notes on the process:

FGR measures the percentage of students that graduate from the school in which they started, and do so within six years.
          GSR, as far as I can tell, counts overall graduation of an athlete within the 6 years from any school, and excludes calculation of those who do not graduate but leave in good academic standing (I think?).

The other sports at Tech used to actually measure below hockey on both terms. For the five year period (1999-2003), the GSR was consistently between 80-85, while the FGR (which is a more accurate measure of an individual school's academic success in my opinion) has hovered around 60. The other programs at Tech are consistently producing numbers, while the hockey numbers fall off. Of course, it can also be noted that the other sports have more players, so one player's failure has less of an impact on the overall number.

It isn't an exact science, and it may not be an entirely accurate picture, but I worry about the academics of our hockey program with a consistent trend like that. It would be even more alarming next fall if we see a continued drop, or a failure to rebound back up to high standards, with the 2004 cohort.
          Philbert
          ---------------
          Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
          GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

Division 2 sports are about student athletes. Division 1 sports are about athletes; that's how winning programs operate; so the question is do you want a winning program or some feel good happy BS about our team sucks but they get a good education and we can be proud of that.

Comment

Originally posted by JOHN SCOTT ROCKS View Post
              Division 2 sports are about student athletes. Division 1 sports are about athletes; that's how winning programs operate; so the question is do you want a winning program or some feel good happy BS about our team sucks but they get a good education and we can be proud of that.
              so we want to be North Dakota?
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Jamie Russell's first season was 2003-2004. Frosh on that team that fall under the 2003 GSR are Bryce Luker, Aaron Johnson, Tyler Skworchinski, Rolf Ulvin, Lars Helminen. Bryce Luker was the only player recruited by Jamie Russell in that class. AJ and Ulvin didn't make it past their frosh year at MTU and Luker left early. It was a small group and only 2 of them actually made it through 4 years at MTU. Hard to have good GSR numbers with that group.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Does anyone have any info on the new scoreboard, when, how big, etc. Having just been to joe louis, I was hoping they would have replay capability and would actually use that more than once.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                    Doesn't everyone?
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      Jamie Russell's first season was 2003-2004. Frosh on that team that fall under the 2003 GSR are Bryce Luker, Aaron Johnson, Tyler Skworchinski, Rolf Ulvin, Lars Helminen. Bryce Luker was the only player recruited by Jamie Russell in that class. AJ and Ulvin didn't make it past their frosh year at MTU and Luker left early.
                      Luker was lost when he went to the BCHL and ultimately joined Canisius College (where he played even FEWER games per season in Atlantic Hockey - go figure.) I agree that coaching change will alter the grad rates. It may be too late for a kid to go to another school so they jump on board only to learn it wasn't what they hoped and they bolt for either Canadian Jr leagues again or go pro. I also don't think there is any fair comparison for Div III and D I sports when it comes to grad rates. Right or wrong, those athletes are there for different reasons.
                      Ryan J
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                        Doesn't everyone?
                        Chris Conner is the closest to being a NoDak. Since he has too many teeth to qualify.
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          Auburn is not my idea of a class act. I'd be against that.
                          If it takes a bunch of flunkies and a major benefits scandal to be competitive, then I'm comfortable with a losing team. Luckily, D1 college hockey is not D1-A college football, and I'd say at least 80% of the players are capable of passing their classes without "creative grading" by professors and majoring in meaningless academic programs.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            What do Cousens, Baker, Royer want when they leave this spring? A shot at the ECHL/AHL? Get their names out to the professional hockey world? Right now, those three kids (well, technically everyone on the team) have some hefty weight on their shoulders if they want a pro career once their education is (mostly) done.
                            just as an fyi (i know you're a northern fan and probably don't follow our abomination of a hockey team), but Baker will be back next year due to medical redshirt

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                            If it takes a bunch of flunkies and a major benefits scandal to be competitive, then I'm comfortable with a losing team. Luckily, D1 college hockey is not D1-A college football, and I'd say at least 80% of the players are capable of passing their classes without "creative grading" by professors and majoring in meaningless academic programs.
                            this, with the exception of ricky doriott.....i mean come on the kid talks about alligators in accounting class and bakes a cake for all saturday home games and apparently he will eat some of it during the second intermission.....that kid is just.....well....*****http://i768.***********.com/albums/xx324/btbenedi/******.gif******
                            Last edited by techcodemonkey; 01-12-2011, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Morning everyone.

Here's Jamie's drivetime notes:
                              Thoughts on the weekend:
                              -Saturday we made some adjustments, changed neutral zone forecheck, limited SCSU opportunities
                              -Did a much better job on the point, gave up too many shots by the SCSU Dmen on Fri.
                              -Josh played well, strung together 4 good games, he has some confidence

On odd goal, that landed on top netteing then popped up and bounced off Josh's back into the goal:
                              -Jamie didn't get an explanation
                              -A glove did not hit the puck, one of the most bizarre goal he's seen, it was the GWG

On St. Lawrence:
                              -St. Lawrence coach is a great guy, entertaining, well respected

On lineup:
                              -3 Freshman at top of scoring
                              -Expect trend to continue becuase most of our forwards are Freshman, they are getting the ice time
                              -We've thrown a lot of stuff at our Freshman, 5 of top 6 forwards are freshman
                              -They are playing against mostly juniors and senior on the other teams top line

On Brett Olson:
                              -He's questionable, final word will be on Thursday
                              -His role would be very limited
                              -Wouldn't take faceoffs, be on PP or PK
                              -But he's captain and leader, it'd be huge to get him back

On Junior Hockey night;
                              -it's been very successful, great having the kids there
                              -Early start, 5PM and they can skate with the player after the game

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                                Actually, that would be perfect.
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                                On odd goal, that landed on top netteing then popped up and bounced off Josh's back into the goal:
                                -Jamie didn't get an explanation
                                -A glove did not hit the puck, one of the most bizarre goal he's seen, it was the GWG
                                Actually that goal happened right in front of us. It looked like the SCSU player hit the puck with his hand when it first happened, but when we saw the replay it was obvious that he didn't touch the puck. The puck was sitting on the top of the net and the SCSU player hit the net, which made the puck pop up into the air and over the crossbar, and trickle into the goal.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Working...
                                X