Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Second

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

The most d@mning thing, in my mind, is that Russell himself all but indicated that morale in the room is likely at an all-time low under his watch. This confirms what everyone already knows - the players no longer give a sh*t. They have no leaders, and don't know how to dig in and end this streak.

Comment

• Re: Severe Ronaldstorm Warning: the Michigan Tech 2010-11 Season Thread, Part the Sec

Cramer and Olson were out last night at the Dog while Tech was playing, good to know even they weren't even listening to the game....the guys playing don't care....the guys not playing are drinking while their teammates are playing....sounds about right

Comment

Originally posted by techcodemonkey View Post
        Cramer and Olson were out last night at the Dog while Tech was playing, good to know even they weren't even listening to the game....the guys playing don't care....the guys not playing are drinking while their teammates are playing....sounds about right
        Uhm, this isn't anything new, I've ran into players at the bar on game night for years. It must be tough enough on Brett not playing...let alone listening to Dirk call that crappy game last night...
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Next Friday night, the scoreboard will read 0-0, they will put 20:00 on the clock, and away we will go. Nothing from this streak should matter once the puck is dropped, as each game is its own series of self-contained events. If players are carrying around the streak on their shoulders, then they aren't exactly as focused on the task in front of them as they should be. And this is human nature.

I agree with Ryan Johnson, that something must be done by the team to break this streak that they are in. Unfortunately, once you get to this point in the season, if you try something different you run the risk of not being able to prepare as effectively for the game if things do not go as planned. You could take practice one day this week and find a unique place to have it. Take the team out to the Kenner Dome and let them play a game of pick-up with themselves without pressure, allow them to get back into the mind-set that playing hockey is supposed to be fun. I can imagine that being a member of the team is not fun at this point, that practices are miserable, and that would wear down on a player. Shake it up, let them be free to be young and enjoy things again. Unfortunately, to do this means losing a day of preparation for St. Lawrence, so maybe that is not a good idea.

One needs to break the routine, and yet still be able to get ready to play hockey on Friday. Anything you do during practice is going to be limited, because I can imagine just being in the building at this point is a reminder that things are going terrible.

And you worry that this is going to affect the development of the young players, that maybe they will be consumed by the losing culture of this team during this streak.

On the bright side, St. Lawrence is coming to Houghton on the heels of two losses this past weekend.
          Philbert
          ---------------
          Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
          GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            Uhm, this isn't anything new, I've ran into players at the bar on game night for years. It must be tough enough on Brett not playing...let alone listening to Dirk call that crappy game last night...
            At the expense of double posting, you would know better than I would on this subject. Why did they not get on the bus for the road trip? I can't imagine that a few more bodies on the bus would have put them over capacity. Classes haven't started yet, so they aren't missing that. Is there a rule against them traveling with the team while they are injured? A cost they are trying to avoid (I suppose it would mean extra hotel rooms)? Especially if you were coming back from injury, the extra bonding time on the road might help.

I know it is hard not playing, and I make no judgement about a player choosing to travel while injured or not, but I was just wondering if this would be a player's choice or a coach's choice or an athletic department's choice at this point?
            Philbert
            ---------------
            Michigan Tech Hockey: _______?.

Formerly, and soon to be again, retired member of The Huskies Pep Band.
            GO HUSKIES, I am still waiting for Tech to win it all!

Comment

You can only bring 22 players(?) on a road trip by NCAA rules.
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

you know they really should just try to improve a little each day. 1 thing each day to get better. still it's only a game not life. this.... is life, it's way more important than hockey.

http://www.mountainwings.com/past/10363.htm
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I've seen three Tech games this year (2 for the MN@MTU series, one MTU@SCSU; I know, small sample size) but from what I've seen Tech plays hard until they are behind by two goals, no matter how far along into the game it is.

Even this last game, they played horrible, but there was effort until SCSU scored their 3rd goal. Then you could see that they felt "here we go again" and self-fulfilled the prophecy. Even Robison, who played out of his arse, quit after the 3rd goal. There were times during the game before that where he really wanted to go off on the team for their mistakes, but held his tongue and stood on his head for more than a few saves.

As a semi-outsider, I have to agree that while I like Russell, it's time for a change. You really can't get much worse at this point, so might as well take a chance. If you are a fan, I know it's tough to say (many MN fans are going through the same things with tDon), but you have to just realize the situation and admit it.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    from what I've seen Tech plays hard until they are behind by two goals, no matter how far along into the game it is.
                    In 90% of the games this year that I have seen (which is every game home and away before SCSU this weekend), Tech doesn't play at all in the third period. We're lucky to even see them play a good second half of the second period. However, this could just because they get down by a few goals, as mentioned.

Comment

I have some work in minneapolis on friday which ends at noon, so if I can swing it I will be at the game friday night. No girl friend this time though ( sorry yager)
                      Personally I do think they are getting better, I mean we scored first this last game and yes we tend not to play in the third. (We played well in the third at the GLI BTW.)

I also note that one of our recruits is absolutely lighting it up in the NAHL.
                      This is a very good thing.
                      And speaking of recruiting what do you think of this theory.... the top teams( Denver, umtc, BC, wisconsin) lose a few of the top young players to pro hockey every year.. they go off to the echl or the ahl and a few to the nhl... because of this they over recruit and have too many guys, not a lot but several at least, a number of whom sit on the bench.. they get unhappy and drop out.. either going back to the ushl or to div 3, the less fortunate teams end up without and college hockey is less well off because of it. I mean do you really think wisconsin needs 10 or 12 recruits each and every year? They want to be on a winning program sure, but don't they want to play too? Do they really think they are better than the guys who are on the team already?

I think we can win this weekend if we play our system well. Sure it's ugly but it does get results. Just ask the canadian jr team, or notre dame.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        I also note that one of our recruits is absolutely lighting it up in the NAHL.
                        This is a very good thing.
                        Kolb will be turning 21 on next Tuesday...he should be lighting up a league like the NAHL at that age if he's going to have a chance to have any impact in college.
                        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          Kolb will be turning 21 on next Tuesday...he should be lighting up a league like the NAHL at that age if he's going to have a chance to have any impact in college.
                          Agreed, especially since the USHL did not work out for him, for whatever reason.

Comment

I never expect NAHL guys that don't go to, or can't hack it in the USHL to be bench warmers/role players at best. Even if they light up the league in scoring. Every once in a while there are expections, like Chris Conner (who I believe was an NAHL only guy), but for the most part they are like Bunger, who was from the NAHL. He was a checking line type role player that occasionally scored.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              Ok, so how are we going to shake this up and put up a "W"? Wear the road jerseys at home? Put the boys up at the Super 8 for the weekend? Wear their jerseys inside out until we win? Everyone must play a new position next Friday, including the goalies? The team dresses in the visitor's lockerroom for both home games? Something else?

xsnipx

I think it is time for something like this to happen. Some of this streak has to be mental, it can't all be lack of skill because the team is not as bad as their record indicates based on what I saw earlier in the season.

Ryan J
                              The team is too far into a tailspin for gimmicks to work. Coach Russell is leading a group of players who've can no longer visualize winning once the chips are down.

Unlike pro players, there is no paycheck riding on their performance and "playing for pride" is just an euphemism for 'who cares?' Also, unlike the pros, the team can't sign new players and suit them up the same day. In effect, Russell has to sleep in the bed he made. After all these losses, no matter what the excuse(s), he is clearly in over his head.

What needs to happen, IMHO, is some coaching for the coaching staff. The AD should bring in a consulting coach who has a proven record of success in getting teams mired in a perpetual losing culture, which usually includes long losing streaks, turned around. Yes, many years in the business world make me automatically suspicious of consultants, but Tech's coach needs to lean on someone who he trusts will give him a tough love assessment of his program and methods.

As I've said before, winning Tech hockey is part of the Tech franchise and to allow a decades long deterioration is like an act of devaluing the MTU value proposition. Of course, there are literally thousands and thousands of Tech alumni for whom the winning tradition of Tech hockey ended before they were even born! Maybe the current administration feels these alums will won't miss or care about something they never experienced.

Comment

Vote now and vote often!

http://www.uscho.com/threestars/

I have already voted for Cramer and Baker.

Comment

Working...
                                X