This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

College Hoops Statemant and question: We are the first 0-4 team in the country. Our team is very experienced as well as one that traveled and practiced in Spain together in August.
    Perhaps just a slow start against teams that are pretty good. I hope this is the case.
    However, I fear the following as in Scott's Princeton story: The Princeton kids said all he did was yell. It got tiring. They tuned him out and had their spirit broken. (he destroyed their program) From what I read on the Hoops blogs, this does not seem to be the case, but I am far away.
    So, would one of the local contributors please give me his or her take.

thanks, Go DU, Dunker
    Last edited by thedunker; 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Hate to state the obvious, but huge Pairwise ramifications this weekend.

DU needs a win against Lake State to gain common opponent advantages on CCHA foes. But the Air Force game is even more critical. Yale is certain to be an NCAA Tourney team and they have already beaten CC and luckily for DU, lost to Air Force. A DU win over Air Force and hopefully a Vermont victory over Yale in a few weeks would give DU an advantage in the common opponents category. DU's 1-2-1 non-conference record & 2-3-0 record against TUC's is weighing DU down in the Pairwise.
      Last edited by dggoddard; 11-22-2010, 12:57 PM.

Comment

DU has played four very good teams, three of them away from home. The feeling I get is that there is enough talent at DU to compete well with all of them, but all four games have seen DU come out cold in the second half after a pretty good to good first half and not really make the kind of second half run that strikes fear in the opponent. DU was one of the top shooting teams in the country last year, and this year, they have not shot as well. DU will never have the thoroughbred athletes that other programs do, so they need to win by good shooting and playing gritty, tough defense. Both have been in shorter supply than expectations.

I think DU will get better this year, but it needs to happen soon. The experienced players should be better than they've shown so far.

Scott built the Air Force program from nothing into an NCAA team, and they fell apart after he left. At Princeton, they were already prettty good., and I am sure he learned some things from the struggles they had. He's had a lot of success building DU from the bottom into the top half, but going from top half to elite is a big jump. Give him some time.

I think he has a good shot to build DU into tournament level team, but he needs to start winning...

Comment

College sports is 99% recruiting. Its true in hockey, true in lacrosse and its especially true in Hoops.

What I'm failing to see throughout this "WACsperiment" is the desire on behalf of the alumni to win at Hoops at all costs. When Gwozdecky was brought in, I think is pretty obvious that Ritchie gave him a blank check and a new Arena. With Tierney it was Pat Bowlin. Who's the major donor(s) that are willling to stand up and if neccessary throw millions at making hoops competitive.

I agree that it was a good move to join the WAC, but what I'm not buying is that DU has the money, commitment, interest or ability to build a top-notch Hoops program.

This is what it costs to play with the big boys.

Code:
          John Calipari 	Kentucky 	$4 million per year
          Billy Donovan 	Florida 	$3.5 million per year
          Bill Self 	Kansas 	        $3 million per year
          Thad Matta 	Ohio State 	$2.5 million per year
          Jim Calhoun 	Connecticut 	$2.3 million per year
          Rick Pitino 	Louisville 	$2.25 million per year
          Roy Williams 	North Carolina 	$2.11 million per year
          Rick Barnes 	Texas 	        $2 million per year
          Tom Izzo 	Michigan State 	$1.735 million per year
          Ben Howland 	UCLA 	        $1.5 million per year
          Tom Crean 	Indiana 	$1.48 million per year
          Mike Krzyzewski Duke 	        $1.2 million per year 
          Jim Boeheim 	Syracuse 	$1-plus million per year
          Last edited by dggoddard; 11-22-2010, 02:41 PM.

Comment

DU has no pretentions about competing for an NCAA hoops title. DU can't play with the top 20 and they don't have the money to do it. What DU DOES want is to pay $400K to a coach who can get them to the dance and maybe win a game or two. DU doesn't pretened they want to be Michigan State or Kentucky. They want to be Gonzaga or St. Mary's. Win enough to get on TV, put 4-5,000 fans in the barn and be the best program on the Front Range.

Comment

DU's Men's and Women's swimming teams are both ranked in the Top 25 of Div. 1 Mid Majors.

Men at #3 and Women at #12

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=205035580
              GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                College sports is 99% recruiting. Its true in hockey, true in lacrosse and its especially true in Hoops.

What I'm failing to see throughout this "WACsperiment" is the desire on behalf of the alumni to win at Hoops at all costs. When Gwozdecky was brought in, I think is pretty obvious that Ritchie gave him a blank check and a new Arena. With Tierney it was Pat Bowlin. Who's the major donor(s) that are willling to stand up and if neccessary throw millions at making hoops competitive.

I agree that it was a good move to join the WAC, but what I'm not buying is that DU has the money, commitment, interest or ability to build a top-notch Hoops program.

This is what it costs to play with the big boys.

Code:
                John Calipari 	Kentucky 	$4 million per year
                Billy Donovan 	Florida 	$3.5 million per year
                Bill Self 	Kansas 	        $3 million per year
                Thad Matta 	Ohio State 	$2.5 million per year
                Jim Calhoun 	Connecticut 	$2.3 million per year
                Rick Pitino 	Louisville 	$2.25 million per year
                Roy Williams 	North Carolina 	$2.11 million per year
                Rick Barnes 	Texas 	        $2 million per year
                Tom Izzo 	Michigan State 	$1.735 million per year
                Ben Howland 	UCLA 	        $1.5 million per year
                Tom Crean 	Indiana 	$1.48 million per year
                Mike Krzyzewski Duke 	        $1.2 million per year 
                Jim Boeheim 	Syracuse 	$1-plus million per year
                Yeah. For 4 mil, Kentucky gets that paragon of virtue Calipari. If they thought he could sign the next MJ, and could get him freed, they'd hire OJ. That crook Calipari gets 4 mil and coach K gets 1.2 mil? What's wrong with this picture?
                Last edited by Old Pio; 11-22-2010, 03:55 PM.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  Hate to state the obvious, but huge Pairwise ramifications this weekend.

DU needs a win against Lake State to gain common opponent advantages on CCHA foes. But the Air Force game is even more critical. Yale is certain to be an NCAA Tourney team and they have already beaten CC and luckily for DU, lost to Air Force. A DU win over Air Force and hopefully a Vermont victory over Yale in a few weeks would give DU an advantage in the common opponents category. DU's 1-2-1 non-conference record & 2-3-0 record against TUC's is weighing DU down in the Pairwise.
                  Yeah, no repeat of the '05-06 season's Denver Cup, please. Crapping the bed in that tourney cost DU dearly...

Comment

The Pipeline Show Blog has some interesting DU tidbits.

They actually asked the Team Canada Selection Guru if Sam Brittain was a candidate for the team and were told, "No." Bet Gwozdecky would have wet the bed at the prospect of losing Great Brittain to the Tourney.

They also mentioned Brittain, Zucker and Jesse Martin in their NCAA roundup.

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.com/...-november.html

Comment

I would not be looking for vermont to beat yale. I'd say that was unlikely.
                      Beating lake state is very do-able. they are Dr jekyll and mr hyde type of a team.

also being another Gonzaga or St Mary's is a very tall order. might take some time. You might want to start by beating Air Force, and maybe some of the lower Mountain West teams.
                      The points about recruiting are very well made.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Moving the Denver Cup to November and the way the rest of the schedule falls, the only games that conflict with the WJC are the 2 against Northern Michigan. Surely Zucker will be in Buffalo and maybe Drew Shore.
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

In honor of Dmann, I am happy to provide the needed bump. I'm excited for the Denver Cup to begin, as Friday will be the first DU game I shall attend in person this season. I sure hope they bring their 'A' game and get two much needed ooc wins!
                          DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
                          sigpic
                          WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

My guess as to why the schedule falls the way it does is that DU is just afraid to play Clarkson .

Really, hoping Clarkson at least wins Friday and competes well Saturday; so far this year, it all comes down to our goalie. The offense will score 3-4 goals pretty consistently.
                            Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                            Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
                              In honor of Dmann, I am happy to provide the needed bump. I'm excited for the Denver Cup to begin, as Friday will be the first DU game I shall attend in person this season. I sure hope they bring their 'A' game and get two much needed ooc wins!
                              Need these two games big time. DU has 4 OOC games left including these two and the 2-game series with NMU at New Year's in Magness. All 4 are big PWR games. I think it is a shame that so muich weight is now given to the OOC games. In the olden days, the OOC games were the chance for a lot of the non-regulars to get their chance to play and experience playing a full game taking a regular shift. It also gave the coaches a chance to rest some of the regulars. Now with the NCAA tourney all predicated on the PWR, potential tourney teams can't afford to slip up in the OOC games when facing non-ranked opponents.

Gwoz press conference today at 12 PM MT for free on Pio Vision at www.denverpioneers.com.
                              Last edited by du78; 11-23-2010, 09:21 AM.
                              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                                Need these two games big time. DU has 4 OOC games left including these two and the 2-game series with NMU at New Year's in Magness. All 4 are big PWR games. I think it is a shame that so muich weight is now given to the OOC games. In the olden days, the OOC games were the chance for a lot of the non-regulars to get their chance to play and experience playing a full game taking a regular shift. It also gave the coaches a chance to rest some of the regulars. Now with the NCAA tourney all predicated on the PWR, potential tourney teams can't afford to slip up in the OOC games when facing non-ranked opponents.

Gwoz press conference today at 12 PM MT for free on Pio Vision at www.denverpioneers.com.
                                I agree. With DU losing 2 to BC earlier this season, the OOC imperative takes on even more importance this year. DU's is in a winning groove right now, and I wouldn't want to mess with it, I don't think that I would start Murray right now. I'd play Brittain, and if DU can build a 3 goal lead on either of these teams, then I'd bring in Murray. Do goalies who only play two games a week really need rest? On the other hand, if Murray starts and plays well, it could be a big boost for him and the team. Right now, the jury is still out out whether Murray can play effectively at this level.

Comment

Working...
                                X