X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
    OK, changing the subject. I'm sorry to be dim here, but how does this Denver Cup format work again? Why are there not 4 teams? This new format started last year right? Yeah, I don't get it! Somebody help!!
    I can help a little:
    Showcase format--you know who you will play going in
    There are 4 teams--DU, Air Force, Lake Superior State and Clarkson
    Winner determined by who wins the most games.
    (Guessing -- 1 OT then a shootout)
    If a tie at that point, goal differential.
    If still a tie---????
    Last edited by vizoroo; 11-22-2010, 09:08 AM.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

OK, changing the subject. I'm sorry to be dim here, but how does this Denver Cup format work again? Why are there not 4 teams? This new format started last year right? Yeah, I don't get it! Somebody help!!
      This the second year of the showcase format. The games are all predetermined. DU will face LSSU and Air Force. They will not play Clarkson.

Now in its 19th year, the Denver Cup Classic continues its tradition as one of the nation’s finest college hockey showcases. Magness Arena hosts the two-day showcase tournament on Nov. 26-27, 2010 after being held between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day since 1992. The second annual showcase format features Air Force (Atlantic Hockey), Clarkson (ECAC), Lake Superior State (CCHA) and 14-time champion and host Denver.

2010-11 DENVER CUP CLASSIC SCHEDULE
      Friday, Nov. 26 at Magness Arena
      Air Force vs. Clarkson - 4:37 p.m.
      Denver vs. Lake Superior State - 7:37 p.m.

Saturday, Nov. 27 at Magness Arena
      Clarkson vs. Lake Superior State - 4:07 p.m.
      Denver vs. Air Force - 7:07 p.m.
      DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

I miss the old format, although I suppose in the end it doesn't make a huge difference. I can understand why they changed it; it was a little disappointing when the matchup you hoped for didn't happen.

Comment

Here's the issue - 15+ years ago when the Denver Cup started, it was designed to fill a playing void in the Denver sports calender between Christmas and New Year. In those days, there weren't many Holiday tourneys and you could get good teams to come out here from different leagues.

Flashforward 15+ years. Now, there are many holiday tourney's and good teams are hard to get to come out here. You also now have much more emphasis on the PWR, so getting to pick who you play from the four tourney schools becomes an important scheduling advantage of the host school. You also have the World Junior Tourney taking on an increasing level of importance for Denver, often losing your best players during that Christmas week, and you don't want to play games without those guys, and the good teams you bring in don't want to play without their good players, either. Finally, you have an emerging basketball program who might want to do an x-mas/new years tourney at some point.

Solutions:
          1)Move the Denver Cup tourney to Thanksgiving, where there is less tourney competition hoping you can get better teams in the future, and you can use your full roster to play.

2) Go to a showcase format, so you don't rely on fate to determine who you play. You want to play the best teams you can.
          Last edited by Puck Swami; 11-22-2010, 09:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
            Here's the issue - 15+ years ago when the Denver Cup started, it was designed to fill a playing void in the Denver sports calender between Christmas and New Year. In those days, there weren't many Holiday tourneys and you could get good teams to come out here from different leagues.

Flashforward 15+ years. Now, there are many holiday tourney's and good teams are hard to get to come out here. You also now have much more emphasis on the PWR, so getting to pick who you play from the four tourney schools becomes an important scheduling advantage of the host school. You also have the World Junior Tourney taking on an increasing level of importance for Denver, often losing your best players during that Christmas week, and you don't want to play games without those guys, and the good teams you bring in don't want to play without their good players, either. Finally, you have an emerging basketball program who might want to do an x-mas/new years tourney at some point.

Solutions:
            1)Move the Denver Cup tourney to Thanksgiving, where there is less tourney competition hoping you can get better teams in the future, and you can use your full roster to play.

2) Go to a showcase format, so you don't rely on fate to determine who you play. You want to play the best teams you can.
            So is there a winner? If so, how do they determine that?
            "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
            Tom Serratore

Comment

My understanding was also that top ranked eastern teams like BU and BC want to come out west but also want to play DU if they come. If there was a chance that they wouldn't meet they would probably not come.

If you are the only team to win 2 games you win the Cup

If two teams win 2 games you go to the tiebreaker which I believe is goals scored followed by goals differential. You don't want to let up on the gas with goals scored and goals differential coming into play.

TV this weekend

Friday - LSSU @ DU FSN Rocky Mountain Live at 7:35 PM MTand tape delayed on FCS Pacific at 12AM MT Saturday

Saturday - AFA @ DU No TV, webcast on Pioneer Vision at 7PM MT

No TV for AFA & Clarkson on Friday or LSSU & Clarkson on Saturday.
              Last edited by du78; 11-22-2010, 10:26 AM.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

How about a Colorado Challege Cup. AF, CC and DU take on 3 visiting teams with standings and a trophy for the top point winning team (points for winning, ties, and then goal differential)?? maybe one of the day's slate of games could all be at one location.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                  My understanding was also that top ranked eastern teams like BU and BC want to come out west but also want to play DU if they come. If there was a chance that they wouldn't meet they would probably not come.

If you are the only team to win 2 games you win the Cup

If two teams win 2 games you go to the tiebreaker which I believe is goals scored followed by goals differential. You don't want to let up on the gas with goals scored and goals differential coming into play.
                  OK, I get it. Thank you. I guess I like the idea of total goals, this encourages more scoring, always a plus!!
                  Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by rickkyboy View Post
                    How about a Colorado Challege Cup. AF, CC and DU take on 3 visiting teams with standings and a trophy for the top point winning team (points for winning, ties, and then goal differential)?? maybe one of the day's slate of games could all be at one location.
                    Or you get CC, DU, AFA and UNO and call it something like, "the western frontier classic" or something!!
                    Tom Serratore

Comment

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

INCH ranks DU #13
                      Pioneers head into this weekend’s Denver Cup having won six of their last seven; DU has outscored its opponents in those six wins by a 23-7 margin. The Pioneers are also in the midst of a seven-game home unbeaten streak.
                      GO DU !!!

Comment

I guess the issue would be how to get the winner their trophy. Here is the solution. Have your first 2 games at the campus locations for each of the colo teams. then have the last 3 games as an single event like the pepsi center. kind of a day of hockey. after the last game figure the winner and present the trophy otherwise if it is a visiting team meet them at the airport and say here's your trophy.

Comment

I'm surprised by Denver's start - not only the results, but also the all-around solid play - but this wouldn't be the first time a team has suffered significant losses and been surprisingly good the next year. I can think of two recent examples for the team I follow. In 1999, UND graduated a large senior class that dominated the WCHA for two years; the next year they won the national title. In 2004, UND lost Parise, Bochenski and Blais (the 1-0 year); in 2005, they played for the national title. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by jk View Post
                            I'm surprised by Denver's start - not only the results, but also the all-around solid play - but this wouldn't be the first time a team has suffered significant losses and been surprisingly good the next year. I can think of two recent examples for the team I follow. In 1999, UND graduated a large senior class that dominated the WCHA for two years; the next year they won the national title. In 2004, UND lost Parise, Bochenski and Blais (the 1-0 year); in 2005, they played for the national title. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in this case.
                            Its all about recruiting. Fans put too much stock in who's leaving and never factor in who's arriving.

In '05 the Sioux had Travis Zajac & Spirko come in and score 36 goals. They had the #1 recruiting class according to INCH.

This year DU has Zucker & Brittain. DU had the #1 recruiting class.

Comment

Originally posted by rickkyboy View Post
                              As I understand it, when DU started the Denver Cup in 1992, DU naturally wanted CC to participate and build the gate. At first CC said "no thanks," but after a few years had trouble finding opponents to come out to Colorado, so they participated in the Tourney from 1995-1999. In 1999 Lucia bolted, but CC was one of the top programs in the country at the time and said, why don't we co-host it and split the gate. There is also a chance that they got tired of DU sticking them against so pretty nasty competition each year in the first game of the Tourney (Cornell, New Hampshire, Maine).

DU said thanks but um...no and CC decided to do their own thing. Thanks to a plethora of holiday tournaments, Colorado College started having a harder and harder time drawing name brand opponents to the Springs around the holidays. So much so, that in recent years CC had to hit the road and visit XMAS tourneys in Michigan and Florida.

Correct me if anything above is incorrect.
                              Last edited by dggoddard; 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM.

Comment

DU moves up from #13 to #12 in USCHO weekly poll

USCHO Poll

Comment

Working...
                                X