X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
    Zucker's numbers are VERY impressive.

Those were some amazing goals on Saturday night. Ostrow's goal reminded me of Antti Laaksonen, and the way he used to drive around d-men with his speed. Beau's goal was sweet--he's showing the kind of progress that we all hoped to see a little earlier from our other recent 1st rounder. Beau is starting to do some special things out there with his passing and scoring. Zucker's goal---wow. That was just amazing. Speaking of confidence...that kid has an abundance of it. His interview with Alanna (?) from Fox Sports after the game was funny, too.
    A minimum of once a weekend that kid produces an "Oh sh*t, did you see that?" moment. But he's also tough. He's been whacked around pretty hard all year and has shaken it off. That puck he took to the back of the knee on Saturday hurt me, but he got ice, or heat or a boiler make or something and came back and scored an eye popping goal. Tough kid. And he's gonna need it down the stretch as that bullseye on his sweater will get bigger and bigger.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 01-24-2011, 11:28 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

All this talk about the post season is making me nervous!!
      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
      Tom Serratore

Comment

Rock activated off of the Islanders' injured reserve list today and sent back to Bridgeport.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
          Rock activated off of the Islanders' injured reserve list today and sent back to Bridgeport.
          Checked Islanders/Bridgeport earlier today and found nothing. Thanks for the info. Thinking optimistically--Maybe he'll get to play in the AHL All Star Game and get called up again soon.

Been wondering--Does he get paid at NHL salary level for the games on injured reserve?
          Last edited by vizoroo; 01-24-2011, 09:14 PM.
          GO DU !!!

Comment

He got paid his NHL salary up until today. Okposo returned to the line-up right after Rock got hurt. No spot for him on Isles right now on top 3 lines.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

bump!!!
              Tom Serratore

Comment

After DU's NCAA exit last season, the entire coaching staff conducted an internal review of the program and what caused the early flameout. It will be interesting to see what is done differently this season leading up to the NCAA playoffs.

I would think the goaltender rotation will remain intact to keep both guys sharp.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how much playing time Shawn Ostrow and Nate Dewhurst received in the 3rd period of the 5-1 UAA blowout. The biggest benefit of a big lead is getting more reps for the 3rd & 4th line guys, plus getting more guys involved with the power play. Good for morale, more rest for the stars and more playing time will only help the development of the guys further down the bench.

I still think that Sophomore Shawn Ostrow can become a goal scorer for us, but he needs more minutes. This is the third year in a row that he hasn't played much and the rust clearly shows.

Comment

Kyle Ostrow was one if the runners up for INCH player of the week.
                  I nominated him for USCHO's Three Stars--anybody else?
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                    A minimum of once a weekend that kid produces an "Oh sh*t, did you see that?" moment. But he's also tough. He's been whacked around pretty hard all year and has shaken it off. That puck he took to the back of the knee on Saturday hurt me, but he got ice, or heat or a boiler make or something and came back and scored an eye popping goal. Tough kid. And he's gonna need it down the stretch as that bullseye on his sweater will get bigger and bigger.
                    Yeah, he's tough. But I do worry about him getting hurt. He definitely plays a very "engaged" game of hockey, which can lead to some dirty retaliation like we saw in the world juniors. I'd like to see Mr. Ryder lay a nice solid hit on anyone that messes with our players.

So, what are peoples' opinions on the play of Nick Shore? I've seen him make some awesome pinpoint passes, but I haven't really focused on him enough to form an opinion as to how he's coming along.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                      So, what are peoples' opinions on the play of Nick Shore? I've seen him make some awesome pinpoint passes, but I haven't really focused on him enough to form an opinion as to how he's coming along.
                      He's made big leaps since his injury. His passing is excellent. He has a good sense of positional play and creating open spaces. He's a solid, effective center who is really learning the two way game in all zones, sees the ice well, and isn't afraid to mix it up. He uses his size well. His skating and shot are the two things I would like to see him improve.
                      Last edited by Puck Swami; 01-25-2011, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                        I still think that Sophomore Shawn Ostrow can become a goal scorer for us, but he needs more minutes. This is the third year in a row that he hasn't played much and the rust clearly shows.
                        Wait, how can it be the third year in a row if he is a Sophomore? Secondly, I thought he played very well last weekend and had some great chances. There was that one where he just had to lift the puck over the goaltender's leg and he would have had a goal. I think he's showing up in the right places at the right time, he might need a little puck luck. But good play positioning usually leads to goals. They will come. I think I remember he was a prolific scorer for his last team before he got injured right? Finally, what's up with Knowlton, he's a good one too!
                        Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                          He's made big leaps since his injury. His passing is excellent. He has a good sense of positional play and creating open spaces. He's a solid, effective center who is really learning the two way game in all zones, sees the ice well, and isn't afraid to mix it up. He uses his size well. His skating and shot are the two things I would like to see him improve.
                          Sounds like he's laying a good foundation--an effective player already, with a lot of untapped potential. Maybe he'll make a big leap from his freshman to sophomore year, just like Drew did. In the meantime, you have to be happy about the way he can set up his teammates. If Gwoz can get our power play out of the doldrums, I'd expect Nick's assist count to steadily rise.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                            Wait, how can it be the third year in a row if he is a Sophomore? Secondly, I thought he played very well last weekend and had some great chances. There was that one where he just had to lift the puck over the goaltender's leg and he would have had a goal. I think he's showing up in the right places at the right time, he might need a little puck luck. But good play positioning usually leads to goals. They will come. I think I remember he was a prolific scorer for his last team before he got injured right? Finally, what's up with Knowlton, he's a good one too!
                            I think DG was touching on that in his last year in juniors he barely played due to a major knee injury, saw minimal time playing for DU as a freshman and has been in and out of the line-up this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                              Wait, how can it be the third year in a row if he is a Sophomore? Secondly, I thought he played very well last weekend and had some great chances. There was that one where he just had to lift the puck over the goaltender's leg and he would have had a goal. Finally, what's up with Knowlton, he's a good one too!
                              Shawn Ostrow only played a handful of games his last year of juniors at Camrose, so its been three years of not getting much playing time. Its the classic example of a player who would of benefitted from another year of Juniors and he would of been far more confident when he arrived at DU. But sometimes a player like this will be a late bloomer and really come on when given the opportunity.

The poster child of late bloomers was Jon Foster went from 4 goals his Sophomore year to 12 his Junior year to 21 his Senior year. But Foster was a prolific scorer in Juniors.

Lifting the puck is the key to scoring goals in college hockey against butterfly goaltenders. Only a few players can do it in the heat of the moment. Guys like Dewhurst, Knowlton, Shawn Ostrow don't lift the puck consquently they rarely score goals even though they may get lots of opportunities in close.

Last night I slowed down the FCS-RM "slow-mo" replay of Zucker's goal on my DVR. Zucker toe dragged the puck between his legs to fake out the defenseman. Then after he beat the defender the puck started bouncing but he was able to gather it on the blade of his stick. The puck was flat on the blade when he went five-hole. An incredible sequence of puck control and skating ability.
                              Last edited by dggoddard; 01-25-2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Rick Comley, coach at Michigan State, has announced that he is retiring at the end of this season. This should make these next few months very interesting in DU land, as now there are open jobs at Penn State and Michigan State. Gwoz turned down MSU in 2001, but his wife Bonnie is from there, so I am not sure if he'd want to go there or not. Being third banana to FB and BB in East Lansing might not be to Gwoz' liking. DU will likely have to open the vault for Gwoz if DU does well in the NCAAs this year, or he'll likely leave. If DU doesn't do well in the NCAAs, I could see DU going for a less expensive coach....

Comment

Working...
                                X