X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    UAA is the most improved team in the WCHA. Big, strong, quick sticks, vastly improved team speed and now goaltending to go with good positional play. They only thing they lack is scoring depth and maybe one more puck moving defenseman. They gave DU all it wanted last night, and they were a few hit pipes from beating the Pioneers.

DU will need to be better with the puck tonight if they hope to sweep.

They were really throwing the bodies around.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Century Club Countdown
      Kyle Ostrow
      97 down 3 to go

(oops--missed one last night )
      GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        Let me take a shot at #4.....

Bottom line, whether they're serious or not, UAA posters whine and complain about officiating constantly. And several orders of magnitude more than any other WCHA group. And last night, for a while, I stupidly allowed myself to be sucked in to this silly business. I got it under control eventually and will be on my best behavior tonight.
        If you don't mind.... I don't think any official purposely favors or disfavors any particular team. BUT...it's human nature to tilt toward one team to some degree. Often this team happens to be the one with the winning record.... it's just a fact of life.. if your team is winning or is at home, you have a better chance of getting calls than you do if you lose or are on the road. Not a lot mind you, but at least some.Is the whole WCHA against UAA?.... of course they are, and CC, and UMD...and...

I also think coaches teach kids what they can get away with and what they can't, and where on the ice they can and can't. etc. Some teams are better at it than others.

second... while it's likely true the AA fans do whine, per capita more than others, in my mind UMTC and UND fans take the cake. And for similar reasons..
        Certainly everyone whines to a certain extent.. you know, one team's aggressive going hard to the net is the other team's forward running the goalie. I think the truth is that there is generally more to an altercation, penalty, what have you, than appears on the surface. I think regularly it is payback for something that has been going on, unpenalized and unseen by us, for a period or two. I don't think these things happen very often without some instigation at some point, and then of course finger pointing. Just my opinion though.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Referees are rarely the cause of wins and losses - perhaps 5% of the time, since they are human and make mistakes. The good teams overcome poor officiating.

Comment

UAA is the most improved team in the WCHA. Big, strong, quick sticks, vastly improved team speed and now goaltending to go with good positional play. They only thing they lack is scoring depth and maybe one more puck moving defenseman. They gave DU all it wanted last night, and they were a few hit pipes from beating the Pioneers.
            UAA is a team heavily loaded with Seniors who are having nice seasons. If you want to see how they will do next season check out Exhibit A...

http://www.uscho.com/scoreboard/umas...key/2010-2011/

UMass-Lowell was heavily stacked with Senior talent last year and had a nice season. This year, not so much.

Comment

Referees are rarely the cause of wins and losses - perhaps 5% of the time, since they are human and make mistakes. The good teams overcome poor officiating.
              In other words Recruiting trumps refereeing 95% of the time.

UAA record against Denver reflects recruiting differences not officials bias. As DU's recruiting has ramped up since 2000 the series has become insanely one sided.
              Last edited by dggoddard; 01-23-2011, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                If you don't mind.... I don't think any official purposely favors or disfavors any particular team. BUT...it's human nature to tilt toward one team to some degree. Often this team happens to be the one with the winning record.... it's just a fact of life.. if your team is winning or is at home, you have a better chance of getting calls than you do if you lose or are on the road. Not a lot mind you, but at least some.Is the whole WCHA against UAA?.... of course they are, and CC, and UMD...and...

I also think coaches teach kids what they can get away with and what they can't, and where on the ice they can and can't. etc. Some teams are better at it than others.

second... while it's likely true the AA fans do whine, per capita more than others, in my mind UMTC and UND fans take the cake. And for similar reasons..
                Certainly everyone whines to a certain extent.. you know, one team's aggressive going hard to the net is the other team's forward running the goalie. I think the truth is that there is generally more to an altercation, penalty, what have you, than appears on the surface. I think regularly it is payback for something that has been going on, unpenalized and unseen by us, for a period or two. I don't think these things happen very often without some instigation at some point, and then of course finger pointing. Just my opinion though.
                Good, accurate analysis. And I think it's important to differentiate between UAA posters and UAA fans. I'm only familiar with the former, and they whine quite a bit and have developed their "Rodney Dangerfield" complex to a fine art. I can only speak for myself, but I make a conscious effort to avoid commentary about the officials on the scoring threads. About as far as I'm willing to go is "that could have gone either way." My feeling is if it's close enough for them to call, there's a good chance they got it right. Sure, diving and arm raising and all the rest are part of the game. And it gets real hot in Phoenix too, so what? Swami's right, referees rarely influence the outcome of games. And the idea that there's a league wide plot to punish UAA is ridiculous on its face. Just to emphasize my point, drop into a UAA scoring thread almost any time, and what you'll generally find is a whine fest about the officiating. Not a lot of the time or most of the time, just about every time. It's actually quite humorous. As I say, it could be that small group of very dedicated posters dealing as best they can with their, uh, lack of success. Whatever it is, it's a fact.
                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

When I first got into coaching, a longgg time ago, I was so frustrated by the officiating that I went to the head of the league about it... his response... you have to learn to win in spite of the officiating.. truer words were never spoken.

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                  In other words Recruiting trumps refereeing 95% of the time.

UAA record against Denver reflects recruiting differences not officials bias. As DU's recruiting has ramped up since 2000 the series has become insanely one sided.
                  amen brother. Agree 100%.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    If you don't mind.... I don't think any official purposely favors or disfavors any particular team. BUT...it's human

I would have to agree. UND fans whine often, loud and for a lomg time, bringing up a game that happened the previous season. :-o
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

bump!!
                      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                      Tom Serratore

Comment

DU moves up one spot to 5th on INCH Power Rankings.

The Pioneers were 4-4-2 on Nov. 6 after dropping a 9-2 decision at Colorado College. In the 16 games they’ve played since then, DU is 12-1-3 overall and 9-0-1 at Magness Arena.
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

I have to say the game on saturday night was the best I have seen in quite some time. The juke moves put on by Bennett and Zucker were out of this world! Go Pios, rest up this week so we can dominate the Kitty Cats!!
                          GO DU!!!!

ROWDY IN THE FIRST ROW!!!

DU Hockey National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005

Comment

The DU hockey team wasn't the only ones firing on all cylinders this weekend.

Nice job by the DU fans on the scoring thread on Friday night. Old Pio was a force and CO14ers brought his A game.

Kyle Ostrow interviewed on FSRM. "First, I want to thank my teammates. Second, I want to thank the refs for giving us this game. Although the Seawolves suck my nuts and have no talent, the refs really took our back tonight." LOL.
                            - CO14ers

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post
                              The DU hockey team wasn't the only ones firing on all cylinders this weekend.

Nice job by the DU fans on the scoring thread on Friday night. Old Pio was a force and CO14ers brought his A game.
                              Yeah, I noticed things were a lot more subdued Saturday night. Oh wait, some of the regulars weren't on board that night cough cough co14ers cough cough
                              "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                              Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                                Yeah, I noticed things were a lot more subdued Saturday night. Oh wait, some of the regulars weren't on board that night cough cough co14ers cough cough
                                The UAA fans didn't post on Saturday night. They hung out on the UAA Live Blog and made a bunch of classless statements about our players, our coaches and other things.

The UAA fan base has gone off the deep end.

Comment

Working...
                                X