X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
    DU hoops lays an absolute beat down on Arkansas State 74-36 at Magness tonight to stay undefeated in league play, shooting 68% on 3 pointers. This is the same Arkansas State team that took then No. 14 Memphis to overtime on Dec. 3. The Pioneers are becoming a serious basketball team...
    How was the attendance and atmosphere at the game? Are students jumping on board?
    DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
    sigpic
    WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
      How was the attendance and atmosphere at the game? Are students jumping on board?
      About 3,000 total fans in the house tonight, which is good for a weeknight. They tend to draw best on Saturday afternoons when families come out. And yes, more students are getting into hoops. With the band, the Cheerleaders, Boone and the DU dance team, some DU students dressed in Crimson and Gold spandex body suits, it has more student involvement than some of the hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
        Sam's save percentage has dropped about 20 points in his recent play to .922 (which is still pretty good but not top-notch as it was), and giving up softies has crept into his game now in a way that wasn't there in the beginning of the season. Adam has played decently in recent weeks and getting some wins, but he's still not shutting anybody down, and his saves percentage (.856)and GAA (3.99) still reflect his awful play at the start of the year. The net-net is that DU's team goaltending has slipped from a strong .921 team average in early November to .907 average currently, which is just about average. Giving up 2.57 goals per game is okay when DU is scoring 3.3 GPG as they have, but as we know in the final months, defenses tighten and goaltending becomes much more critical.

I think Gwoz is hoping that one of these guys heats up into a playoff goalie, but it's the one area of DU's game that hasn't been stellar of late, and DU must get back to a .920 or .930 team saves percentage to get the GAA down and be a playoff contender...
        I'm not liking it. I'd rather see him run with Sam. He's clearly the better guy. I understood the idea of bringing Adam back in to give him some time--build his confidence. It feels like Gwoz is applying a formula that has worked in the past to a situation that doesn't match. Sam's better when he plays every night. The good thing is that our D is way tighter than it was back in the fall so we have some cushion.
        Go Pioneers!

Comment

I just watched the Jesse Martin clip, unbelievable!! What a story! I think he should write a book one day about this experience. I learned a lot from this clip and will know a little more what to say to someone who has gone through something like this . Man, that was inspirational. His parents must be so proud of him. Old Pio, how many boxes of kleenex did you go through?
          "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
          Tom Serratore

Comment

Tyler Ruegsegger traded from Utah to Anchorage in ECHL:

http://www.adn.com/2011/01/20/165956...well-soon.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
              I just watched the Jesse Martin clip, unbelievable!! What a story! I think he should write a book one day about this experience. I learned a lot from this clip and will know a little more what to say to someone who has gone through something like this . Man, that was inspirational. His parents must be so proud of him. Old Pio, how many boxes of kleenex did you go through?
              I ran out.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Jesse Martin--spells character-what an unbelievable story he has to tell. We may be older, but what a lot we can learn from him.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Great win by the Pioneers tonight. They got a quick goal and UAA responded in kind to stop the momentum. But, despite the great UAA forecheck and backcheck, DU matched the physical play and end up taking the win. Very tough game and will be again tomorrow night. Go Pios!
                  DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
                  sigpic
                  WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

DU in 1st place in the WCHA by 1 point over UND and UMD and 3 over UNO. DU maintained its #4 PWR ranking after tonight's action. Another win tomorrow and DU stays in 1st.
                    DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

It was a mixed bag tonight. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to get the W. We were sloppy with the puck throughout (off and on) especially in the n-zone. The quick drives to the net resulted in three very nice goals. PP didn't click (not scoring on the major was ugly)--kill was strong. We should be able to beat a team like AA more handlly then we diid. Our mistakes let them hang around. There were some bright spots--the biggest one was the Captain (might of been his best game--certainily his best at Magness this season). Drew Shore was excellent--you can see how he has matured from the tourney experience. He's skating much faster and playing both ends of the ice in a much more dominant way. Lots of ice time for the third line tonight--Mermis, N. Shore and S. Ostrow. I thought they played well. Nick Shore's move/pass to Beau was unbelievable. Kyle and the Shores were strong on faceoffs. We only took 6 minutes of penalities which was a big improvement over last weekend.

I look for a more dominant performance by the Pios tomorrow night so that we can head in the bye weekend in first place. Got to be ready to defend that PAN!
                      Last edited by MagnessMan; 01-22-2011, 12:16 AM.
                      Go Pioneers!

Comment

DU played ok tonight, but UAA has really improved on team speed and goaltending. That game could have gone either way. Both teams had loads of chances.

The Shore-to-Bennett goal tonight was world class, although UAA fans are saying it was offsides. I'd have to see a replay to see if they were right.

Comment

Random thoughts:

1- It would be nice to crush another team for a change, we are talking cardiac kids here.
                          2- Nice job by Mermis for setting up Nick Shore on the assist to Bennett. It's nice to see him get a point.
                          3- I'm soooooo happy Jackson is back, he is a definite presence out there.
                          4- I thought the fan base was pretty argumentative last night, what's up with that? Don't these two fan bases get along pretty well?
                          5- Who the hell was that Lebron guy?, no wonder he has a negative rep.! tick tock my ***!
                          6- I hope Pickering is OK, I'd love to hear an update on him. Man that must have been painful.
                          7- It's really cool to see how Nick Shore is developing, (possible man crush in the making!)
                          8- Can you believe we are in first place?
                          9- We seem to be deep at all positions.
                          10- I think we're gonna open up a can tonight!!
                          "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                          Tom Serratore

Comment

Stastny gets his 100th career NHL goal today vs Bruins.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                              Random thoughts:

1- It would be nice to crush another team for a change, we are talking cardiac kids here.
                              2- Nice job by Mermis for setting up Nick Shore on the assist to Bennett. It's nice to see him get a point.
                              3- I'm soooooo happy Jackson is back, he is a definite presence out there.
                              4- I thought the fan base was pretty argumentative last night, what's up with that? Don't these two fan bases get along pretty well?
                              5- Who the hell was that Lebron guy?, no wonder he has a negative rep.! tick tock my ***!
                              6- I hope Pickering is OK, I'd love to hear an update on him. Man that must have been painful.
                              7- It's really cool to see how Nick Shore is developing, (possible man crush in the making!)
                              8- Can you believe we are in first place?
                              9- We seem to be deep at all positions.
                              10- I think we're gonna open up a can tonight!!
                              Let me take a shot at #4. Last year you'll recall Patrick Wiercioch got hurt following a knee to knee hit by Kane LaFranchise who has since been kicked out of school because he's unable to meet the stringent academic standards of UAA. Following the incident, the most prominent UAA poster advanced a theory that Patrick, Gwoz and the whole DU staff were conspiring to fake an injury. Her "proof": after the initial hit, Patrick did take a couple of shifts and she was in the stands and could "see" that Patrick really wasn't hurt.

I took exception to her diagnosing an injury from 200 feet away, in fairly strong terms (shut up, he explained). And also questioned what possible purpose this alleged conspiracy would serve. This set off a flamefest, for which I take significant responsibility. For reasons that I can't comprehend, this UAA poster had a very good reputation. But calling one of our kids a liar, in my mind, crossed the line. This flamefest even induced a young DU poster to take sides with the UAA poster, calling her his "friend and ally" and calling me the "biggest a*shole" he'd ever encountered, or something. That in turn set off another round, with some DU posters coming to my defense along the lines of: "he may be an a*shole, but he's our a*shole."

At bottom, my principal beef was this UAA poster's repeated insistence that Patrick was a liar. Ultimately, she retracted that smear, but it wasn't easy, I can tell you. So that's the recent history here. As to the past, I'll leave that to people who've been around longer than me. But the undeniable fact is the UAA posters (as opposed to all UAA fans) have a huge chip on their shoulders and on a per capita basis complain about officiating more than any group I've encountered. No penalty called against them is ever justified. And their opponants constantly get away with fouling their players with no calls. Thus, every loss is explained by this continuing, comprehensive misfeasance, malfeasance and non feasance by the officials. One of their posters explained it last night. At least in his mind, the entire WCHA is out to get the Seawolves. I'll allow for the possibility that he's a garden variety troll and does't actually believe this nonsense, but he does a really good job of faking it, if true.

Bottom line, whether they're serious or not, UAA posters whine and complain about officiating constantly. And several orders of magnitude more than any other WCHA group. And last night, for a while, I stupidly allowed myself to be sucked in to this silly business. I got it under control eventually and will be on my best behavior tonight.
                              Last edited by Old Pio; 01-22-2011, 10:51 PM.
                              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

UAA is the most improved team in the WCHA. Big, strong, quick sticks, vastly improved team speed and now goaltending to go with good positional play. They only thing they lack is scoring depth and maybe one more puck moving defenseman. They gave DU all it wanted last night, and they were a few hit pipes from beating the Pioneers.

DU will need to be better with the puck tonight if they hope to sweep.

Comment

Working...
                                X