This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Ever wonder what it's like to play against Bozak?

Have a look....

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...never-seen-it/

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
      Ever wonder what it's like to play against Bozak?

Have a look....

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...never-seen-it/
      That was so cool!!!
      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
      Tom Serratore

Comment

Ding fries are done. Bump!
        DU Pioneer Hockey. National Champions: 1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005
        sigpic
        WCHA arenas I have visited: Magness, Kohl, Sullivan, National Hockey Center, DECC, Cleveland Steamer World Arena (CSWA)

Thanks for your friendship Jimbo!!!

Comment

Maybe the ole' turban is tied too tightly, but I am having alternative visions for this weekend. The bad vision is that the Pioneers fall behind early in both games this weekend once again (for the six and/or seventh straight time) but UAA pins our boys in the wall and scores a few goals on suddenly-average Adam and suddenly-average Sam and then Pios lack the late firepower to come away with victory. Ugh.

The Good vision is that the Pioneers are now getting fine offensive play from players like Nick Shore, Dave Makowski, Dusty Jackson and Kyle Ostrow that wasn't there in the early season, and they are supplementing the steady producers like Zucker, Drew Shore, Donovan, Maini and Salazar to give DU an offensive attack that can score goals on anyone. Or maybe a shutdown defense kind of game where one of the DU goalies stones the Seawolves and DU ekes out a 1-0 or a 2-1 win.

The third vision is a weekend featuring a game of each vision (1 good, 1 bad)-- a split and most likely to happen, IMHO.

Comment

Maybe the ole' turban is tied too tightly, but I am having alternative visions for this weekend. The bad vision is that the Pioneers fall behind early in both games this weekend once again (for the six and/or seventh straight time) but UAA pins our boys in the wall and scores a few goals on suddenly-average Adam and suddenly-average Sam and then Pios lack the late firepower to come away with victory. Ugh.

The Good vision is that the Pioneers are now getting fine offensive play from players like Nick Shore, Dave Makowski, Dusty Jackson and Kyle Ostrow that wasn't there in the early season, and they are supplementing the steady producers like Zucker, Drew Shore, Donovan, Maini and Salazar to give DU an offensive attack that can score goals on anyone. Or maybe a shutdown defense kind of game where one of the DU goalies stones the Seawolves and DU ekes out a 1-0 or a 2-1 win.

The third vision is a weekend featuring a game of each vision (1 good, 1 bad)-- a split and most likely to happen, IMHO.
            I'd have to agree that the split is the most likely outcome. AA looked very sharp this past weekend against CC--gave them fits. Gunderson was very solid in net. They play disciplined hockey--and it will be a grind it out kind of game. They will slow us down by keeping the puck on the perimeter--cycle and pinch. The key is can we come out and score a couple quick goals. If we do it could be an offensive party--if not, AA will at least get one could even be two. Having Beau back was huge last week--he really turned it on in the third Friday and all night Saturday. I expect after a full week of practice he'll be really dialed in. That said the cahnce for the O party is good--just need that first one. What's the story with the goal tenders this weekend?
            Go Pioneers!

Comment

Originally posted by MagnessMan View Post
              What's the story with the goal tenders this weekend?
              Per Mike Chambers blog in the Denver Post on Monday, the goalie rotation is expected to continue. I would assume Brittain on Friday and Murray on Saturday.
              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                Per Mike Chambers blog in the Denver Post on Monday, the goalie rotation is expected to continue. I would assume Brittain on Friday and Murray on Saturday.
                Sam's save percentage has dropped about 20 points in his recent play to .922 (which is still pretty good but not top-notch as it was), and giving up softies has crept into his game now in a way that wasn't there in the beginning of the season. Adam has played decently in recent weeks and getting some wins, but he's still not shutting anybody down, and his saves percentage (.856)and GAA (3.99) still reflect his awful play at the start of the year. The net-net is that DU's team goaltending has slipped from a strong .921 team average in early November to .907 average currently, which is just about average. Giving up 2.57 goals per game is okay when DU is scoring 3.3 GPG as they have, but as we know in the final months, defenses tighten and goaltending becomes much more critical.

I think Gwoz is hoping that one of these guys heats up into a playoff goalie, but it's the one area of DU's game that hasn't been stellar of late, and DU must get back to a .920 or .930 team saves percentage to get the GAA down and be a playoff contender...

Comment

Bump people bump!!!!

Work with me, it's not like we have nothing to talk about and don't even pretend you have lives therefore no time to post!!!!!!
                  "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                  Tom Serratore

Comment

First Seven Minutes Video of Jesse Martin's TedX speech at DU today.

Interesting story of what happened in the ambulance in North Dakota....

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=205080205

Comment

Sam's save percentage has dropped about 20 points in his recent play to .922 (which is still pretty good but not top-notch as it was), and giving up softies has crept into his game now in a way that wasn't there in the beginning of the season. Adam has played decently in recent weeks and getting some wins, but he's still not shutting anybody down, and his saves percentage (.856)and GAA (3.99) still reflect his awful play at the start of the year. The net-net is that DU's team goaltending has slipped from a strong .921 team average in early November to .907 average currently, which is just about average. Giving up 2.57 goals per game is okay when DU is scoring 3.3 GPG as they have, but as we know in the final months, defenses tighten and goaltending becomes much more critical.

I think Gwoz is hoping that one of these guys heats up into a playoff goalie, but it's the one area of DU's game that hasn't been stellar of late, and DU must get back to a .920 or .930 team saves percentage to get the GAA down and be a playoff contender...
                      Isn't it safe to assume that DU's defense will also tighten up during the final months, making it less of a "requirement" for DU's goalies to hit a particular saves percentage figure like .930 in order for DU to succeed?

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                        Isn't it safe to assume that DU's defense will also tighten up during the final months, making it less of a "requirement" for DU's goalies to hit a particular saves percentage figure like .930 in order for DU to succeed?
                        One can hope. November 19 was the last time DU held a league opponent to under two goals.

Comment

Putting goaltending issues aside for the moment. One thing that encourages me for the stretch run, is Gwoz's emphasis on the "character" of this team. I think we can all agree that recent DU teams have had talent, but have lacked a certain fortitude when the chips were down in the NCAA tournament. Evidence: NCAA flame outs against "less talented" (but harder working) opponents. Gwoz's comments make me optimistic that this year's team has the intangibles that we haven't seen from recent DU teams in the NCAA tournament.

Comment

First Seven Minutes Video of Jesse Martin's TedX speech at DU today.

Interesting story of what happened in the ambulance in North Dakota....

http://www.denverpioneers.com/ViewAr...CLID=205080205
                            What an impressive young man. I keep going over those numbers in my head: 98% don't survive, and 98% of those who do survive are paralyzed.
                            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

The Jesse Martin whole 28 minute talk is now posted. To say it's inspirational is not doing it justice.

When you hear him tell the whole story, you not only be proud to share your Pioneer heritage with him, but more than that, you'll realize what a really great human being he is.

Comment

DU hoops lays an absolute beat down on Arkansas State 74-36 at Magness tonight to stay undefeated in league play, shooting 68% on 3 pointers. This is the same Arkansas State team that took then No. 14 Memphis to overtime on Dec. 3. The Pioneers are becoming a serious basketball team...

Comment

Working...
                                X