X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Originally posted by du78 View Post
    Have you gotten the back-up ice maker? I thought we were going to have to call EMS when your ice maker broke earlier this season.
    I've invested in an industrial, gasoline powered, 435 hp ice crusher which should get the job done nicely. And I bought the long term service agreement, too. I'm good to go.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Despite having no DU hockey toight there are tons au games on tonight. I am watching Mich St vs Mich right now and they just called Chelios' name.- Ramage, Hextall, Chelios present. Statsny, Bourque, Geofrion recent past to name a few. How many other sons and grandsons of NHL hockey greats have played NCAA? Just something to talk about on the off week!!

Discuss

Oh God, I forgot Mullen!!!
      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
      Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
        Despite having no DU hockey toight there are tons au games on tonight. I am watching Mich St vs Mich right now and they just called Chelios' name.- Ramage, Hextall, Chelios present. Statsny, Bourque, Geofrion recent past to name a few. How many other sons and grandsons of NHL hockey greats have played NCAA? Just something to talk about on the off week!!

Discuss

Oh God, I forgot Mullen!!!
        Off the top of my head some more DU names with fathers, grandfathers, uncles who played in the NHL.

Brian Morenz
        Craig Patrick
        Alex Shibicky
        Peter McNab
        Shawn & Kevin Dineen
        Pete LoPresti
        Keith Magnuson, son Kevin played at Michigan

Some non-DU names
        Hull
        Nystrom
        Parise
        Last edited by du78; 01-07-2011, 10:42 PM.
        DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Bump!!!
          Tom Serratore

Comment

On this off weekemd I was browsing the blogs and while visiting Donald Dunlop's, UAA Delusions of Grandeur ;-}, discovered that Kane LaFranchise would not be returning. It appears to be personal issues, not Bad Boyz things like the Boyz from St. Cloud.

Anyway, thought I'd check to see how Alex Carle was doing and much to my surprise he was no longer on the Anchorage South High School team, but never fear I did find him!
            Just go about 4500 miles east to Meriden, New Hampshire, home of Kimball Union Academy. And yes, Alex Carle, Class of 2013, is on the Varsity Hockey team. (More surprisingly there is another player, Ryan Cole, from Anchorage on the team.)

Kimball Union Academy
            Grades 9-12, PG
            Founded in 1813
            1300-acre campus
            13 miles from Dartmouth College
            317 students
            27% international
            75th anniversary of boys hockey--current record 12-3-0
            362 miles from Philly

Hmmmmm
            GO DU !!!

Comment

Pioneer hoops won its 6th straight game and second straight road game today, with a win over Louisiana-Monroe. DU is now 4-0 in SBC league play.

Comment

Off the top of my head some more DU names with fathers, grandfathers, uncles who played in the NHL.

Brian Morenz
                Craig Patrick
                Alex Shibicky
                Peter McNab
                Shawn & Kevin Dineen
                Pete LoPresti

Some non-DU names
                Hull
                Nystrom
                Parise
                Of course the Hull in question WAS coming to DU, 'til he scored less than 800 on his SAT. And we came THIS close to adding a young man named Howe to the DU list. But who knew a WHA team would give a 17-year old kid, his older brother and his dad a multi million dollar package deal?

As to LaFranchise, isn't he as dumb as a bag of door knobs? And isn't he the one who administered the phantom injury to Patrick Wiercioh last year?

Finally, what it the significance to us if little Carle and the other boy are playing in the lower 48?
                Last edited by Old Pio; 01-09-2011, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Never heard of Kimball Union as a hockey school. If Alex Carle plays well that would certainly put him on the Hockey East or ECAC radar. And that is really along way from home and DU.
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

The latest issue of RedLine Reports ranks recruiting classes from the early signing period.
                    Red Line is an independent international scouting service that focuses mainly on draft-eligible prospects. As such, here is its rankings of the top college recruiting classes
                    1. North Dakota (Western Collegiate Hockey Association).
                    2. Miami (Central Collegiate Hockey Association).
                    3. Minnesota (WCHA).
                    4. Denver (WCHA).
                    5. Harvard (Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference).
                    6. Ohio State (CCHA).
                    7. Vermont (Hockey East Association).
                    8. Cornell (ECAC).
                    9. Northeastern (HEA).
                    From Andy Baggott at UW men's hockey @ Madison.com
                    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                      Never heard of Kimball Union as a hockey school. If Alex Carle plays well that would certainly put him on the Hockey East or ECAC radar. And that is really along way from home and DU.
                      I see.

Comment

Several DU kids have played at East Coast prep schools over the years, including Gabe Gauthier at Berkshire (Mass.) Prep, J.P. Testuide (Northwood (N.Y) School and Josh Rosenholtz at Proctor (NH) Academy, and many others have played at Shattuck-St. Mary's prep in Minnesota, including Ruegsegger, Max Bull and Ryan Caldwell. I"m sure Carle is on DU's radar, and if the Pioneers want him, they will make a pitch for him.

Comment

Brian Morenz
                          Craig Patrick
                          Alex Shibicky
                          Peter McNab
                          Shawn & Kevin Dineen
                          Pete LoPresti

Some non-DU names
                          Hull
                          Nystrom
                          Parise
                          I was actually thinking of college hockey in general and how fun it is to hear names of players whose fathers we knew that played in the NHL
                          Tom Serratore

Comment

HF Boards reviewing some AHL prospects. Reviews from late December or early January.

Patrick Wiercioch, D, 20 Binghamton Senators

Like many young prospects Wiercioch has found the jump to the pro ranks a challenge while playing each game against bigger, more highly-skilled players than he had dominated previously. A minus-10 so far, he'll need to use the remainder of the season to build his confidence and display the fine offensive skill-set he has.

Joe Colborne, C, 20 Providence Bruins

Like most hopeful NHL rookies, Joe Colborne took the news that he was being sent down to the AHL hard. It took him the better part of five games and a meeting with head coach Rob Murray to get his head on straight and his game pointed in the right direction. Since then, he's been better, recording 16 points in his last 25 games, but he's still not quite living up to the billing and expectations placed on the Bruins number-two ranked prospect. Colborne's style is often compared to Joe Thornton and like the developing Thornton, Colborne has often look disengaged and listless.

If Colborne hopes to position himself for a longer look with the Bruins next fall, he's going to have to get off the perimeter and turn up the intensity level in the second half of this season. Otherwise, he could be looking at several years in the minors.

Rhett Rakhshani, RW, 22 Bridgeport Sound Tigers

The former Denver Pioneer standout has taken a leadership role in his AHL rookie season, his name appearing at the top of the Sound Tigers scoring chart. The quick and skillful winger originally from Huntington Beach, California has adapted well to the pro ranks and dismissed any suggestions that his smaller frame might not handle the more physical AHL play. His 10 goals and 21 assists in 35 games set the pace for the Tigers and he also leads the team in shots by a wide margin. Standing just 5'10 and weighing only 180 pounds, Rakhshani has shown quiet determination to succeed and his hard work at both ends of the ice has made him a consideration for a spot with the Islanders in the near future.
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

HF Boards reviewing some AHL prospects. Reviews from late December or early January.

Patrick Wiercioch, D, 20 Binghamton Senators

Like many young prospects Wiercioch has found the jump to the pro ranks a challenge while playing each game against bigger, more highly-skilled players than he had dominated previously. A minus-10 so far, he'll need to use the remainder of the season to build his confidence and display the fine offensive skill-set he has.

Joe Colborne, C, 20 Providence Bruins

Like most hopeful NHL rookies, Joe Colborne took the news that he was being sent down to the AHL hard. It took him the better part of five games and a meeting with head coach Rob Murray to get his head on straight and his game pointed in the right direction. Since then, he's been better, recording 16 points in his last 25 games, but he's still not quite living up to the billing and expectations placed on the Bruins number-two ranked prospect. Colborne's style is often compared to Joe Thornton and like the developing Thornton, Colborne has often look disengaged and listless.

If Colborne hopes to position himself for a longer look with the Bruins next fall, he's going to have to get off the perimeter and turn up the intensity level in the second half of this season. Otherwise, he could be looking at several years in the minors.

Rhett Rakhshani, RW, 22 Bridgeport Sound Tigers

The former Denver Pioneer standout has taken a leadership role in his AHL rookie season, his name appearing at the top of the Sound Tigers scoring chart. The quick and skillful winger originally from Huntington Beach, California has adapted well to the pro ranks and dismissed any suggestions that his smaller frame might not handle the more physical AHL play. His 10 goals and 21 assists in 35 games set the pace for the Tigers and he also leads the team in shots by a wide margin. Standing just 5'10 and weighing only 180 pounds, Rakhshani has shown quiet determination to succeed and his hard work at both ends of the ice has made him a consideration for a spot with the Islanders in the near future.
                              After reading this, I would think players would think twice about leaving early. In our experience at DU, (recently that is) I can only think of 3 guys that did well by leaving early, Carle, Statsny and Bozak. The rest of them must be regretting their decisions. Weircoch and Colbourne were top level NCAA players and they are struggling, wow.
                              Tom Serratore

Comment

No surprise that Wiercioch and Colborne are struggling a bit- both are still tall, skinny 20 year olds playing vs. men in the AHL. Bozak, Carle and Stastny had already grown into their current body sizes when they left DU, although Bozak put on about 15 pounds over the summer after he left.

Comment

Working...
                                X