This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All Things Denver XXIX

Scott Mayfield with #4 ranking from NHL Central Scouting--Zac Larraza has limited viewing for rankings
    http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....-ushl-rankings
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
      From Brad Schlossman on the U17 Four Nations Tournament:
      Former NTDP media relations coordinator Chris Peters was at the tournament doing radio work. He posted scouting reports on all of the U.S. players on his Twitter account

Peters said that defenseman Seth Jones, who currently is uncommitted, was the best player on the ice in every game. Jones will be a strong target of the WHL’s Everett Silvertips, but his brother is playing at Denver. He’s the son of former NBA player Popeye Jones.
      Can we get another brother into the fold?
      Wait, do we have another older brother playing for us in hopes of getting his little bro, or is this the one? This sounds familiar.
      "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
      Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
        Scott Mayfield with #4 ranking from NHL Central Scouting--Zac Larraza has limited viewing for rankings
        http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog....-ushl-rankings
        #4 ranking in the USHL. Important to note that there are many leagues that have players ranked by the NHL scounts and not all leagues are equal.

Its getting exciting thinking about Mayfield & Laleggia playing together on the blueline next season. I think they would be an awesome pairing.

LetsGoDU has some video footage of the Men's Soccer loss last night. Unbelievable game. DU was outshot 31-4, but held on through two overtimes.
        Last edited by dggoddard; 11-19-2010, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dggoddard View Post

Its getting exciting thinking about Mayfield & Laleggia playing together on the blueline next season. I think they would be an awesome pairing.
          Laleggia? Have I been in a coma for a while?, who the hell is Laleggia? Has he been discussed on this board?
          Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
            Laleggia? Have I been in a coma for a while?, who the hell is Laleggia? Has he been discussed on this board?
            I would guess coma. To catch you up here is from the LetsGoDU blog.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2010/10...ng-update.html

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2010/10...ommits-to.html
            DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post

OK, now it's ringing a bell. What about my other question regarding the little brother strategy. Was it Jones?
              Tom Serratore

Comment

Yeah, it Jones' "little" brother who is a 6' 4" d-man.

Recent brothers who DU has, had or are attempting to get

4 Shores

3 Carles

2 Ostrows

2 Mermis'

2 Jones'

2 Jacobsons & cousin ?
                Last edited by du78; 11-19-2010, 11:31 AM.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

4 Shores

3 Carles

2 Ostrows

2 Mermis'

2 Jones'

2 Jacobsons & cousin ?
                  OK, not to belabor the point, but maybe I was thinking about Mermis. Didn't we spent some time on this one. Isn't the little brother the real reason we got the big brother (no disrespect intended)
                  Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                    OK, not to belabor the point, but maybe I was thinking about Mermis. Didn't we spent some time on this one. Isn't the little brother the real reason we got the big brother (no disrespect intended)
                    The answer is yes on both accounts. I assume you will be in the game thread tonight.

Updated recruiting lists

2011 Recruiting Class
                    D Scott Mayfield (Youngstown, USHL)
                    F Zac Larraza (U.S. Under-18)
                    F Garrett Allen (Fargo, USHL)
                    D Matt Van Voorhis (U.S. Under-18)
                    D Joey LaLeggia (Penticton Vees, BCHL)
                    F Larkin Jacobson (Janesville Jets, NAHL)

2012 Recruiting Class
                    F Tyler Pham (Colorado Thunderbirds-U18)
                    D Dakota Mermis (U.S. Under-17)
                    D Josiah Didier (Cedar Rapids, USHL)
                    F Daniel Doremus (Sioux Falls, USHL)

Current Seniors

F Jesse Martin
                    F Kyle Ostrow
                    F Anthony Maiani
                    D Joey Brehm
                    D/F Jon Cook
                    D Chris Nutini
                    G Josh Rosenholtz
                    D Jon Ryder
                    F Dusty Jackson (redshirt Junior graduating this Dec., will likely be a DU grad student next quarter)

With 9 seniors and the potential for one or two early pro signees, there are still some slots to be filled for next season with only 6 players having committed.
                    Last edited by du78; 11-19-2010, 03:25 PM.

Comment

4 Shores

3 Carles

2 Ostrows

2 Mermis'

2 Jones'

2 Jacobsons & cousin ?
                      Clearly DU is trying to save money on Parents Weekend.

Comment

Just to update du78's recruiting list, I've been incorrectly listing Daniel Doremus as a D-man when in fact he's a forward. Also Heisenberg first mentioned Doremus as a 2011 recruit when he committed, but Chambers mentioned in his blog a couple of months ago that he'll be coming to DU in 2012, unless....I'm guessing here, someone left over the summer (D. Shore or Zucker).

Doremus is off to a nice start in the USHL with four goals and an assist in 11 games. He is one of the few DU recruits to ever be drafted in the 1st round of the USHL entry Draft. Best news of all is that he's gained over 10 lbs. in less than a year. (6'1 190 lbs).

I don't often get inside info, but you can take this to the bank....DU is very high on Doremus' upside
                        Last edited by dggoddard; 11-19-2010, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Projecting out the rest of the season, let's say DU follows the old WCHA maxim of winning its remaining home games and splitting on the road. That would put DU at about 22-10-2 prior to the WCHA playoffs. Typically WCHA teams that win at least 23 games tend to get into the NCAA tournament. That means DU needs to folllow the script if they want to go dancing. Of course unexpected home losses or getting swept on the road puts you in a deeper hole, but sweeping on the road is an unexpected bonus. Given the nature of DU's opponents the rest of the way, this is an attainable goal, but DU is very much a bubble team right now.

Almost certainly, DU will lose game games they shouldn't and will probably win some they shouldn't. White knuckles, anyone?

Comment

Some statistical tidbits worth pondering....

1. DU is ranked #27th nationally in team offense at 2.92 GPG and #28th in defense at 2.83 GPG. Considering the tough schedule the team has played, that's right about where I expected them to be. I think a 3 GPG offense is about all we can expect of this team, so the key down the stretch will be playing better team defense to get down to a 2.5 goals against or so if they have playoff aspirations.

2. DU's power play is so dreadful it's not in the top 40. That needs to change. PK is #23 at 82.8 pct, but that number is a little skewed by the abberant performance at CC, where they gave up six PPGs. I think the PK will be in the top 15 before all is said and done.

3. Brittain is by the far the best freshman goalie in America at a .935 svs pct.. While statictically, there are two Ivy league frosh at or higher than Sam's saves percentage, neither Ivy goalie has played in half the amount of games, nor against the caliber of competition that Sam has. He is THE reason DU is relevant right now. In fact, I think Sam is in the top 4-6 goalies in America of all classes. Right now, Muse of BC and Millan of BU are the best two in America right now. A notch below are Kinkaid of Union, Cannata of Merrimack, Brittain of DU, and York of RPI who are all workhorses with 7 or more games to date. Hope he keeps it up - that's outstanding company for an 18 year old.

4. Drew Shore is right around the top 20 in National scoring at 1.18 PPG and is a +9, and that might earn him a camp invite to the World Juniors if he keeps it up. His shot percentage is an astonishing 26%. Last year, he was a 5% shooter and a -8 at the end of the year. Remarkable, huge surge in the development of his game.

5. Zucker is seventh nationally in freshman goalscoring with 7 and he's a +5. to boot, third best on the team behind D. Shore and Donovan.

6. The Pioneers are scoring at the same rate as their opponents in the first period (7-7), floundering four goals behind opponents in the second period (11-15) and beating up on opponents in the third (17-12).

7. Speaking of incredible shooting, Salazar is shooting a whopping 53% of his shots into the net. He's probably the most clinical finisher in America. That said, he's only had 13 shots, so let's hope he gets a few more opportunities.

8. Donovan has had his ups and downs this season, but has crept up to a quiet +7 for Denver. Meanwhile, Phillips, a +5 player last year, is struggling a bit with a -5 this year to date, albeit against a tougher competition in the early going. Makowski and Ryder are quiet plus 4s, while Nutini is a -2.
                            Last edited by Puck Swami; 11-19-2010, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Puck Swami View Post
                              3. Brittain is by the far the best freshman goalie in America at a .935 svs pct.. While statictically, there are two Ivy league frosh at or higher than Sam's saves percentage, neither Ivy goalie has played in half the amount of games, nor against the caliber of competition that Sam has. He is THE reason DU is relevant right now. In fact, I think Sam is in the top 4-6 goalies in America of all classes. Right now, Muse of BC and Millan of BU are the best two in America right now. A notch below are Kinkaid of Union, Cannata of Merrimack, Brittain of DU, and York of RPI who are all workhorses with 7 or more games to date. Hope he keeps it up - that's outstanding company for an 18 year old.
                              I know that DU recruited Kieran Millan pretty heavily and missing out on him is why DU focused on Murray and went the one year with Chevy & tNightmare. A rotation of Brittain and Millan would have been pretty awesome, but I'm sure (I hope) Murray will come around.

Comment

As anyone who pays attention to Rycroft knows, Donovan has come in for more criticism than all the other players combined. Primarily of the "he's trying to do too much" variety. I'm just curious if Mark talks to the kid. I would guess that he does.
                                2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Working...
                                X